Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2359220 times)

Offline jzono1

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1450 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 23:13:46 »
We're talking about the gray color for those black on dark-gray keycaps now, right?

IBM Industrial gray is nice and all, but wouldn't that be... a bit too bright? I thought the idea was to have something aesthetically close to black unlabeled keys, but with subtle legends. Ala the HHKB Dark gray or something like that.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate clean and legible black on gray - and went that way twice with Unicomp Model Ms - but that's not the look that was described in the interest check thread, or the look I signed up for and ordered (twice.) This was used as a reference in the interest check: https://originative.co/products/pbt-carbon-black

I think maybe it'd be wise to try and go ever so more dark than the Orginative set. More like HHKB / Realforce black on dark gray.

That kind of dark-gray combined with a true red case. I think it'll be stunningly nice :D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #1451 on: Sat, 06 January 2018, 00:56:00 »
We're talking about the gray color for those black on dark-gray keycaps now, right?

IBM Industrial gray is nice and all, but wouldn't that be... a bit too bright? I thought the idea was to have something aesthetically close to black unlabeled keys, but with subtle legends. Ala the HHKB Dark gray or something like that.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate clean and legible black on gray - and went that way twice with Unicomp Model Ms - but that's not the look that was described in the interest check thread, or the look I signed up for and ordered (twice.) This was used as a reference in the interest check: https://originative.co/products/pbt-carbon-black

I think maybe it'd be wise to try and go ever so more dark than the Orginative set. More like HHKB / Realforce black on dark gray.

That kind of dark-gray combined with a true red case. I think it'll be stunningly nice :D

+1 This is exactly what I have been picturing.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1452 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 09:59:20 »
glad to see the dream still alive and moving!!! It's a tail mountain to climb but no doubt worth the wait!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Lagomorph

« Reply #1453 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 10:35:12 »

The carbon black is really nice; I hope the dark gray keys are similar to those.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #1454 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 01:33:53 »
We are 13 keyboards away from 1,000 new keyboards ordered! 

How dark should the dark gray key plastic be?  Any recommendations?

How far are we away from 1000 keyboards delivered? That's the more important data.

If you're worried about PayPal protection, I think that you can ask for your invoice to be cancelled, and then to be reissued by the op.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1455 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:27:00 »
We are 13 keyboards away from 1,000 new keyboards ordered! 

How dark should the dark gray key plastic be?  Any recommendations?

How far are we away from 1000 keyboards delivered? That's the more important data.

If you're worried about PayPal protection, I think that you can ask for your invoice to be cancelled, and then to be reissued by the op.

Whaaaaat??? No way? Why isn't that standard practice? And how exactly do you do that?

I don't think I want to actually do it right now cause I don't want to screw with anything, but that's really valuable. Actual buyer protection rather than this 3 month or whatever bull****.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1456 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 11:45:53 »
This has been angering me for weeks. I don't understand why the hostility towards the progress and timeline or daring to lock this guys money in paypal. This is not an off the shelf product, when this started it was very clear that the prototypes were exactly that. He has been completely transparent on where things are at to everyone's amazement. This is the most complex and ambitious project i have ever seen on geekhack over the 5.5 years I have been here including deskthority and massdrop and other related group buy sources. I dont crap on massdrop as much as others but there is no way even them would take on something like this. This is history people, If you are just here for "a cool keyboard" that you'll get tomorrow then you drastically misunderstand what you bought into. Support Ellipse and help him succeed.

Offline ljosa

« Reply #1457 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 13:01:12 »
Can someone please help me decide which extra bumpers to order with my ultra-compact F62?

I never use the feet on my Model Ms or any other keyboards, so I suppose I should stay away from the tall bumpers. But of the smaller ones, what are the benefit of cork vs dome vs square vs small cylindrical?

The product page is here: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-bumpers/

Post with the various bumpers and links to the vendors' pages: https://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/brand-new-f62-kishsaver-f77-industrial-model-f-s-made-this-year-t11046-720.html#p265317

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1458 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 14:04:14 »
This has been angering me for weeks. I don't understand why the hostility towards the progress and timeline or daring to lock this guys money in paypal. This is not an off the shelf product, when this started it was very clear that the prototypes were exactly that. He has been completely transparent on where things are at to everyone's amazement. This is the most complex and ambitious project i have ever seen on geekhack over the 5.5 years I have been here including deskthority and massdrop and other related group buy sources. I dont crap on massdrop as much as others but there is no way even them would take on something like this. This is history people, If you are just here for "a cool keyboard" that you'll get tomorrow then you drastically misunderstand what you bought into. Support Ellipse and help him succeed.

Well, first of all, virtually all group buys run over 3 months, making the paypal dispute window totally useless. Some group buys are run by reliable people, some aren't, but on both cases we, the buyers, are always unprotected. So my interest in the paypal thing is nothing personal with respect to Ellipse, I just like the idea of it as a standard way to afford buyers a little more protection and a little less caveat emptor, if you know what I mean.

As for this group buy, I would be pretty happy and feel a lot more comfortable if I had more information than we are being provided. You all feel like we know a lot, but I've got a lot of unanswered questions. That's all I'll say about that.

But, hey, it's only 400$. If I don't end up with anything to show for it I don't, such as life.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #1459 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 14:35:38 »
PayPal protection lasts 6 months.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1460 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 15:19:20 »
PayPal protection lasts 6 months.

Doesn't change much. Probably 90% of all group buys last longer than that.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1461 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 17:00:36 »
Pancake, if I wished you a good day, would you find something wrong with my statement?

Good day, sir.  Good day to you!

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #1462 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 17:05:15 »
Pancake, if I wished you a good day, would you find something wrong with my statement?

Good day, sir.  Good day to you!

Spoiler, he would! Some people just enjoy being angry all the time.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Pete

« Reply #1463 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 20:20:15 »
...Some people just enjoy being angry all the time.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1464 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 08:15:22 »
The very first one-piece keys just came out of the new injection molds!

Here is a video of the 1U key injection mold in action!  Everything is so automated.  All other keys also finished; will post photos later this week.

I will receive the samples from the factory later this month for evaluation.

Offline ljosa

« Reply #1465 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 08:29:59 »
I'd love to see video or pictures of the dyesub process if you have them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1466 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 12:41:19 »

Here is a video of the 1U key injection mold in action!  Everything is so automated.  All other keys also finished; will post photos later this week.

Very cool
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #1467 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 15:11:49 »
It's all coming together.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Lagomorph

« Reply #1468 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 17:48:55 »

The only thing better than getting a new model F is getting new model F AND being able to watch and enjoy the process of it being made.  :thumb:

« Reply #1469 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 16:01:03 »

The only thing better than getting a new model F is getting new model F AND being able to watch and enjoy the process of it being made.  :thumb:
Even better? Getting one of each. ;P

Offline zl_ramiel

« Reply #1470 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 21:09:52 »
Hi Eclipse, do you also have any updates on the PCB and springs?

Offline esquilax

« Reply #1471 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 08:12:25 »

Now I understand what all those parts are for! :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1472 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 23:32:08 »
zl_ramiel the PCB batch finished production last year.  We're waiting on the Japanese steel springs to be drawn to the proper nonstandard Model F wire diameter and then for the sample springs to be made.  Should be done around month end.  Hopefully I get the key samples from the new molds around the same time and before CNY break, when there will likely be some pause in the production for a week or two. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1473 on: Fri, 19 January 2018, 23:34:32 »
zl_ramiel the PCB batch finished production last year.  We're waiting on the Japanese steel springs to be drawn to the proper nonstandard Model F wire diameter and then for the sample springs to be made.  Should be done around month end.  Hopefully I get the key samples from the new molds around the same time and before CNY break, when there will likely be some pause in the production for a week or two.

CNY break is later than normal this year, so you've got good odds.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1474 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 23:00:13 »
Along with the key and spring samples arriving later this month I am getting a few units each of the production inner foam to verify all is up to spec - if anyone who ordered foam for their F122/F107 wants the foam shipped earlier please let me know.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1475 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 13:02:19 »
The factory has made nice progress on version 2.0 of the key-flipper assembler.  It appears to work with pneumatics.  This should save significant assembly time and avoid this part of assembly becoming a bottleneck to the project.

A few of each type of the completed production inner foam arrived and they are all excellent. 

The key samples arrived and I can confirm that the key texture is an excellent match to the original XT keys.  The keys are also great quality - nice thick walls, strong, high quality PBT. 

With the next key samples arriving in a week or two, they should be within tolerance (these first sample keys were just to see the key top texture and PBT quality - they do not yet meet the strict tolerances).  The factory is still working out the PBT shrinkage issues (PBT is a difficult plastic to work with because it shrinks during the injection molding process).
 Soon after I am hoping for the correct key colors for the project to be confirmed (pearl/pebble, blue, etc.).

The spring samples are almost done - just waiting on the finishing stage and then they can mail them.

So it's just the keys, top and bottom inner assembly, springs, and compact cases that are not yet waiting to be assembled.  Everything else is boxed and ready for assembly.  For storage reasons the outside protective foam and boxes will be done last by the factory, when everything else is just about done.

187366-0
187368-1
187370-2

187374-4
187376-5
187378-6

« Last Edit: Sat, 27 January 2018, 13:04:44 by Ellipse »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1476 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 13:16:14 »
The factory has made nice progress on version 2.0 of the key-flipper assembler.  It appears to work with pneumatics.  This should save significant assembly time and avoid this part of assembly becoming a bottleneck to the project.

A few of each type of the completed production inner foam arrived and they are all excellent. 

The key samples arrived and I can confirm that the key texture is an excellent match to the original XT keys.  The keys are also great quality - nice thick walls, strong, high quality PBT. 

With the next key samples arriving in a week or two, they should be within tolerance (these first sample keys were just to see the key top texture and PBT quality - they do not yet meet the strict tolerances).  The factory is still working out the PBT shrinkage issues (PBT is a difficult plastic to work with because it shrinks during the injection molding process).
 Soon after I am hoping for the correct key colors for the project to be confirmed (pearl/pebble, blue, etc.).

The spring samples are almost done - just waiting on the finishing stage and then they can mail them.

So it's just the keys, top and bottom inner assembly, springs, and compact cases that are not yet waiting to be assembled.  Everything else is boxed and ready for assembly.  For storage reasons the outside protective foam and boxes will be done last by the factory, when everything else is just about done.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the update. The keycaps look great!

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #1477 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 13:22:37 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 09:05:03 by Khers »

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #1478 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 16:26:38 »
Still in love with this project and all its updates. What a ride.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1479 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 20:17:46 »
The spring samples are finished and on their way!

Once the spring samples are approved and the springs finish production, assembly will start!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #1480 on: Wed, 31 January 2018, 22:50:59 »
That's very exciting news.  :thumb:

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #1481 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 02:53:24 »

Once the spring samples are approved and the springs finish production, assembly will start!

So exciting!

« Reply #1482 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 04:03:28 »

It happening! :Joy:

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1483 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 06:42:46 »

Fantastic news!  Very happy to hear it.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1484 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 22:09:32 »
I have finished the project web site redesign - please check it out and let me know if there are any issues or bugs.  http://www.ModelFKeyboards.com

I just upgraded a few orders to single digit serials - just a reminder that this is an option if you want to support the project a little more (help cover the cost overruns) and get your keyboard a couple months earlier.  We've passed over 1,000 keyboards and I'll be doing final QC checks on each of them one by one before they ship!

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/skip-the-line/

Here are the remaining serial numbers:
  • Classic Case F77 – sold out
  • Classic Case F62 – 2,3,4,6,8
  • Compact F77 – 2,3,4,6,7,9
  • Compact F62 – 2 through 9 inclusive
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 February 2018, 22:11:49 by Ellipse »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1485 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 23:07:06 »
I have finished the project web site redesign - please check it out and let me know if there are any issues or bugs.  http://www.ModelFKeyboards.com

I just upgraded a few orders to single digit serials - just a reminder that this is an option if you want to support the project a little more (help cover the cost overruns) and get your keyboard a couple months earlier.  We've passed over 1,000 keyboards and I'll be doing final QC checks on each of them one by one before they ship!

update looks great!

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #1486 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 08:49:34 »

Sent a PM about serials + address change.

Offline tron

« Reply #1487 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 11:01:18 »
Do you guys recommend getting an extra sheet of pre-cut foam? @Ellipse Are you using the same type of crumbly foam that IBM used or does the new foam have archival properties?

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #1488 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 13:44:27 »
Do you guys recommend getting an extra sheet of pre-cut foam? @Ellipse Are you using the same type of crumbly foam that IBM used or does the new foam have archival properties?

If you bought extra foam with the keyboard, wouldn't it deteriorate in storage just as quickly as the foam in the keyboard?

For whatever its worth, the XT keyboard that I got off eBay not too long ago has its original foam and is doing Just Fine.

« Reply #1489 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 16:37:01 »

If you bought extra foam with the keyboard, wouldn't it deteriorate in storage just as quickly as the foam in the keyboard?

For whatever its worth, the XT keyboard that I got off eBay not too long ago has its original foam and is doing Just Fine.
Poke it with your finger, I DARE you.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1490 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 20:47:42 »
No the foam is not crumbly foam.  Some Model F foam is crumbly and some is not.

The main deterioration of the non-crumbly foam is loss of elasticity or springiness while the foam is compressed for a long time inside the keyboard.  A non-compressed spare foam well-stored will help your Model F Keyboard to be at its best a couple decades from now.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1491 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 23:20:24 »
I hope to meet some of you at the NJ Keyboard Meetup on Saturday! 

Please check out the Popular Mechanics March 2018 print issue and take a look at the article “The Hunt for the Modern Model F”!  I can't seem to find the article online just yet - the print issue was just released.

This one's different from the other great Model F article on the Popular Mechanics web site over the summer.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #1492 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 16:06:56 »

Please check out the Popular Mechanics March 2018 print issue and take a look at the article “The Hunt for the Modern Model F”!  I can't seem to find the article online just yet - the print issue was just released.

This one's different from the other great Model F article on the Popular Mechanics web site over the summer.

Someone posted scans of the article in a discord I'm in. Great read!

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #1493 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 21:04:08 »
Woohoo, #2 F62U locked in :D

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #1494 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 16:24:20 »
I wonder, if Ellipse already thought about a black or silver metal badge for the keyboards ;)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1495 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 17:11:34 »

Someone posted scans of the article in a discord I'm in. Great read!

No links shared here?  :(

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #1496 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 10:05:57 »
I‘d love to see photos of today‘s NJ meetup. Would be great, if someone could post links or pictures.

Thanks !!! Have a great weekend !!!!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #1497 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 10:19:16 »
I‘d love to see photos of today‘s NJ meetup. Would be great, if someone could post links or pictures.

Thanks !!! Have a great weekend !!!!

I'd like to hear how does it sound!  :)

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #1498 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 10:27:47 »
A video would be, of course, even more exciting, but I doubt it would transport the sound accuratly in a room full of people ;)

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #1499 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:27:37 »
As I placed my order for the F62 today, I wonder, if a layout like the one below is possible. Apart from the keycap legends, I wonder, if the right shift key can be swaped if the HHKB is selected?
188588-0

If this is not possible, I likely will go for a layout like this one:
188607-1
The right Cmd, Alt, Fn, and Shift keys can be toggled with the Nav Lock key. With it set, they become Navigation keys (comparable to a Num Lock key would work for the Num pad). Using the Fn key on the left will allow another layer for Page Up, Page Down, Home and End at those keys, as well as the del key over Backspace and Esc to the left.
If the Nav Lock is not toggled, the right Fn key will act at another layer but working exactly like the left Fn with the exception of Page Down over itself, obviously.

Wanted to hear your thoughts on it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 17:23:24 by darkcruix »