Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2359184 times)

Offline jzono1

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2000 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 06:48:22 »
So that bluetooth option mentioned in the march 30 website... I really want that. ( https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/a-bluetooth-wireless-model-f-keyboard/ )

Mentioning it here too for visibility. Would be neat, and if it could be a direct drop-in... yeah. It'd be awesome.

Even if a direct drop-in would be significantly pricier than just piecing it together on my own. I'd pay a premium for it. Anyone else feel that way?

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2001 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 07:01:41 »
Yes jzono it is a great option for the Model F.  Yes the PCB design can be modified to make it a drop in replacement for the xwhatsit, even including the expansion header.

If anyone is interested and able to help with the testing/prototyping/PCB design please post on the CommonSense project thread. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2002 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 18:37:09 »
As an update, mass assembly continues at the factory and Zed is working on adding some additional Mac legend keys such as ⌘, ⌥, ⇪ and ⇧ to the list of available extras - some discussion over on the DT thread. 

The final part of the dye sublimation jig should arrive later this week - then I'll be able to resume dye sublimation testing.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2019, 18:40:27 by Ellipse »

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
« Reply #2003 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 03:50:52 »
+1 for the drop in Bluetooth option!
Instabuy.

Actually, plus 3, one for each keyboard.
Sorry, no technical skills so I’m no help, but BT4 or BT5, able to support multiple pairing (so easy to switch between ~3 target devices (PC, Mac, smartphone, iPad etc).
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline DZed

« Reply #2004 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 20:08:00 »
Not only have I been working on new Mac icons as Ellipse just said, but we now have a full set to offer. Also showing off the ones that had only been previously referred to by name in the extra key set mockups.

217592-0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2005 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 23:02:46 »
Factory mass assembly update:

The factory expects to complete all the currently ordered keyboards by the end of May - great news!
20,000 flippers+springs have completed assembly.  They are continuing to assemble the rest of them.
They expect to complete 200 keyboards by the end of the month.  Because of this I was thinking of waiting an extra week or so to get about 500 keyboards in the first shipment.  The 200 figure is lower than expected because they noticed a slight error in the bottom inner assembly radius on many of the completed parts and are re-bending these finished parts before closing the inner assemblies.  The IBM XT keyboards' radii were consistently perfect so the new Model F's need to be as well!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2019, 09:03:20 by Ellipse »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2006 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 23:22:30 »
The factory expects to complete all the early bird keyboards by the end of May - great news!

itshappening.gif

just in time for keycon
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline un_related

« Reply #2007 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 23:27:04 »
The factory expects to complete all the early bird keyboards by the end of May - great news!

itshappening.gif

just in time for keycon

If that's the case, could we just get the boards delivered at KeyCon for attendees that are in that first batch?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2008 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 23:37:40 »
Do not forget about the month in the shipping container from China! 

The boards will be sent in priority of when they were ordered, with the low serial orders sent out first.  Also I still need to do the final testing and dye sublimation. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2019, 17:37:22 by Ellipse »

Offline un_related

« Reply #2009 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 09:01:37 »

Fair, haha.

Offline DZed

« Reply #2010 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 19:26:01 »
A little nicer presentation than the previous pic with new Scroll, Num Lock and Alt Gr (thanks matt3o!) icons.

217640-0

Offline darkcruix

« Reply #2011 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 14:34:56 »
You guys are getting crazy ;)    I am thinking about getting every dye-sub key you come up with... I need to stop myself to not ending up with a drawer full of keycaps ;)
Love your work guys - can't wait to see the first samples of the dye-sub process.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2012 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 10:12:07 »
A little nicer presentation than the previous pic with new Scroll, Num Lock and Alt Gr (thanks matt3o!) icons.

(Attachment Link)

Those icon mods look really great. I may consider adding those to my order.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2013 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 07:34:26 »
Brand New Model F Keyboards Mass Assembly at the Factory! Key Sublimation Sheets

Here is a video of manual installation of the key sets to template sheets before the dye sublimation process (I am taking care of the dye sublimation but the factory is preparing everything to save time).  Check out the other project videos in the YouTube channel for the custom-built machines helping with mass assembly.  Everyone gets the full 104 key set when they order a regular key set for their keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2019, 07:40:30 by Ellipse »

Offline supamesican

« Reply #2014 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 10:59:34 »
ugh so close im hyped. if the next/last round still going on in dec i may have to get a second/spare.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2015 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 21:49:16 »
All of the jig equipment arrived this week and I have done some key sublimation testing. 

Below are photos of sublimation test # 7.  The new equipment is producing good test results.  There is a bit too much bleed ("dye migration") but it is within IBM tolerances it seems (new and original sublimated Model F keys below).  Sorry the photos are not in perfect focus.

As a note the key legends were hand placed for the test and the alignment and quality of the below images are not representative of the final product!

More testing will be done to optimize all the variables before mass dye sublimation begins.

Can you tell which one is the original Model F and which one is the new Model F?
217836-0
217838-1
217840-2
217842-3

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #2016 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:18:39 »
original on left?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #2017 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:38:52 »

The boards will be sent in priority of when they were ordered, with the low serial orders sent out first.  Also I still need to do the final testing and dye sublimation.

I hope that everything gets a safe transit. I'm just wondering what the ship will look like, where in the ship will the container be placed

« Reply #2018 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 03:35:34 »
Is there a way to make these keyboards quieter? Any quiet/ soft touch evolution?

Offline snevok

« Reply #2019 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:06:39 »
Is there a way to make these keyboards quieter? Any quiet/ soft touch evolution?

Check out the floss mod.  It affects the feel a bit, but it's the best way I've seen to make buckling springs quieter.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #2020 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:53:12 »

Defeats the point

Also seconding floss mod though

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2021 on: Sun, 28 April 2019, 13:58:42 »
Mystery revealed:  In the earlier photos, the left cap is the original Model F cap and the right is the new test cap.

I also posted information on the grease mod on my web site blog:
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/a-quieter-model-f-keyboard-how-to-reduce-mod-the-sound-of-your-model-f-keyboard/

Copied below:
In addition to the floss mod described on the Geekhack/Deskthority keyboard forums, another mod to consider is the grease mod, researched and described by the below YouTube user.  Also in my research I have found that pressing the springs down all the way on the flipper (normally there is a 0.2 to 0.3mm gap) reduces the ringing.  I do not offer and have not tried any of these mods but below is some information to consider.

The purpose of the grease mod is to reduce the reverberation/ringing after each key is pressed.

His comments are copied directly below.

Apply Synco Superlube on the inside of the spring with a metal probe…just enough to dampen the vibration

As an experiment, I tried a few switches on an XT F. I did nothing to the first XT F in the video…you can hear the sound I’m referring to…it’s like a super-loud, much more intense, sharper and “drier” version of what my (in superb condition) 1988-1989 Model M boards sound like. Then on the second board, I did the Alps spring lube trick on the keypad only. The feel is the same, the click sounds great (to me), the actuation force is ever so slightly less. But the annoying (to me) spring noise virtually disappears.

video 1 – detailed key sound (lubed keypad; unmodified other keys):

video 2 – typing demo of the unmodified F:

video 3 – typing demo of the fully spring lubed F:

« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2019, 14:55:53 by Ellipse »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #2022 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 11:46:44 »
I was just looking at the order quantity vs. date post on the website, and I completely forgot when I even ordered mine. I was definitely sure it was in 2018.

Turns out that if I had checked it in another 24 days, it would have been exactly 2 years ago.
Time sure does fly by!  :))

I'm so excited to see the final products start rolling out, though!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2023 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 13:37:45 »
Mass assembly continues at the factory.  This photo of in progress F62 inner assemblies is from a week ago (the factories had a holiday break this first week of May).

We are still aiming for completion of all keyboards by the end of this month. 

As noted earlier the factory caught a production error in the curve radius of the bottom inner assemblies and has been correcting all those parts before those parts can be assembled.  Because of this error it was not practical to ship the first 500 keyboards first so now the expectation is that all the keyboards can ship soon after the end of this month. 

As noted earlier I have ordered extras as part of the early bird round so you can still order a keyboard and have it ship as part of the early bird round!

Meanwhile the factory is assembling all the other parts.  So far the spring assembly and inner assembly closing is being done by custom built machines and the key, barrel, and spring installation is being done manually (they noted that the pick and place machine design for these custom components would exceed the cost of labor).

218653-0

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2024 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 13:39:51 »
Mass assembly continues at the factory.  This photo of in progress F62 inner assemblies is from a week ago (the factories had a holiday break this first week of May).

We are still aiming for completion of all keyboards by the end of this month. 

As noted earlier the factory caught a production error in the curve radius of the bottom inner assemblies and has been correcting all those parts before those parts can be assembled.  Because of this error it was not practical to ship the first 500 keyboards first so now the expectation is that all the keyboards can ship soon after the end of this month. 

As noted earlier I have ordered extras as part of the early bird round so you can still order a keyboard and have it ship as part of the early bird round!

Meanwhile the factory is assembling all the other parts.  So far the spring assembly and inner assembly closing is being done by custom built machines and the key, barrel, and spring installation is being done manually (they noted that the pick and place machine design for these custom components would exceed the cost of labor).

(Attachment Link)

These news have me very excited for the board that is to come. Thanks for the update!

Offline Pete

« Reply #2025 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 05:14:39 »
Time sure does fly by!  :))

I'm so excited to see the final products start rolling out, though!

I'm getting excited too. I think I have moved home twice since I first placed my order.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #2026 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 19:35:00 »
I'm giving in and going to order but I must ask, what's a friend gotta do to order those icon mods? I'm all about funky fresh icon mods. :p
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2027 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 19:40:05 »
Great Krakob!  There is a new store item for individual keys on the project web site.  Please do note the key size, key color, and legend description when ordering.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2028 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 15:16:26 »
Some news on the bottom inner assembly front.  While fixing the bottom inner assemblies the stamping tool broke, but now it has been fixed and it produces a curve that is to spec.  They are now able to resume correction of the parts.  Attached is a photo of an unfinished compact bottom inner assembly showing a within tolerance match to the specified radius.  The curve tolerance is important because an accurate curve allows a more equal spacing of each barrel between the top and bottom inner assemblies.  Too much or too little space between the sandwiched metal plates would have affected the sound.  IBM Model F plates maintained the same radius tolerance even 35 years after they were made!

The expectation is still for all assembly to finish by month end, though the now-resolved bottom inner assembly issue may delay things by a week or two.

219121-0

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #2029 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 16:07:27 »
Have you dyesubbed an entire keycap set yet, or just a few test pieces?  Are you waiting until after the keyboards arrive from China before you dyesub the keycaps?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2030 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 20:41:51 »
Here are some more photos of mass assembly at the factory.  As noted earlier, mass assembly was slowed due to the bottom inner assembly parts needing to be re-curved, and then the stamping tool to re-curve these parts broke (has since been repaired).  As requested they are storing the assembled flippers/springs in open air (not in sealed bags) to help maximize the quality of the Model F sound (exposure to moving air/humidity).  Also pictured is a production styrofoam for shipping the classic case keyboards (the ultra compact variations will get another type of foam packaging).

euphxenos - just individual keycaps for now.  I have to get a few more aspects of the sublimation right before I focus on pin registration to get an entire key set accurately aligned and produced.  No new updates yet on the dye sublimation.

219520-0
219522-1
219524-2
219526-3

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2031 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 05:49:31 »
Here are some more photos of mass assembly at the factory.  As noted earlier, mass assembly was slowed due to the bottom inner assembly parts needing to be re-curved, and then the stamping tool to re-curve these parts broke (has since been repaired).  As requested they are storing the assembled flippers/springs in open air (not in sealed bags) to help maximize the quality of the Model F sound (exposure to moving air/humidity).  Also pictured is a production styrofoam for shipping the classic case keyboards (the ultra compact variations will get another type of foam packaging).

euphxenos - just individual keycaps for now.  I have to get a few more aspects of the sublimation right before I focus on pin registration to get an entire key set accurately aligned and produced.  No new updates yet on the dye sublimation.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Love these progress reports and the excitement is so real.

Offline zacheadams

• Friendly Neighborhood Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #2032 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 09:30:21 »
Yeah, I hope someone is archiving these reports (especially the photos!).  It'll make an excellent story when this is all over.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2033 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 10:11:54 »
There's already the blog :
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/blog/
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2034 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 11:08:09 »
Yeah, I hope someone is archiving these reports (especially the photos!).  It'll make an excellent story when this is all over.

I believe Ellipse said he plans on writing a book about his experience working on this project.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2035 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 17:52:41 »
Yes this is correct.  I am saving the photos and hope they will be part of the book.

Offline Cods

« Reply #2036 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 19:01:55 »
Suggestion: Kickstarter the book. I’ve seen some recent runaway successes with that approach for enthusiast areas of interest, and (whilst you’re obviously no shrinking violet when it comes to this sort of thing!) it seems to de-stress the uncertainty around the demand estimation / ordering process.

On another note - that tease of a Bluetooth module... how real is that? ...because I would instabuy one for each of the three boards I’ve ordered!
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #2037 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:23:22 »
Caved in and ordered a second one. Had it sent to my parents house so I'll be able to test it there, but will be able to force myself to keep it put away until christmas/my birthday so I'll have a nice new toy to take home and not have to show the gf until then xD

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2038 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 18:39:27 »
Cods interesting idea to kickstarter the book. 

Here is the latest status of the Bluetooth Model F module:  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/questions/question/bluetooth-connectivity/

Per DMA:  "I have a hardware-complete prototype (oshpark PCB with 5267, PSoC 4 BLE module and buck converter/Li-ion charger on it). No power management modes on any of the parts - but lasts about 20 hours on a 500mAh single-cell, so PM is not a pressing problem. Can probably be made to last 40-60 hours - that would be cool.
I have draft BLE firmware (advertises and connects, transmits keypresses - but needs to be made user-friendly because right now you Need To Know Too Much for those things to happen). This needs work.
There are PSoC 6 BLE modules now, promising lower power consumption and BLE 5.0 - probably need to look at those instead of PSoC 4."

Yes I think a Bluetooth (BLE) wireless Model F will be in the future.  I have discussed with Deskthority user DMA who has designed his CommonSense controller as an alternative to the xwhatsit controller used in this project.  He was able to get the F122 to run for about 20 hours on a 500mah Lithium Ion battery using the PSoC 4 BLE module and Cyprus development board (you can use this board as is for the Model F to my knowledge).

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/cy8ckit-059-psoc-5lp-prototyping-kit-onboard-programmer-and

The CommonSense controller can be designed to be a drop in replacement for the Brand New Model F Keyboards’ xwhatsit controller.

Currently the CommonSense project has working prototypes but other than that it seems to be on hold.  Here is the github page in case anyone is interested in contributing.  Please do check out the deskthority thread and post questions there.

https://github.com/dmaone/CommonSense

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13988

It would be great if someone could modify DMA’s diptrace files to make it a drop in replacement for the Model F xwhatsit controller – please do let me know if you are able to help!  A great first step would be to have someone update the diptrace PCB to make the Cyprus as a drop in replacement to the xwhatsit controller so people could replace their keyboard's xwhatsit controller (probably just need to rearrange the pins on the PCB to match the xwhatsit pinout.). 

However you don't need to make your own PCB.  You can pay $15 or so for a premade board and attach it to the Model F capacitive PCB by wires.  Then buy the compatible bluetooth module and battery and work from there. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2019, 18:54:22 by Ellipse »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2039 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 18:43:26 »
Yes this is correct.  I am saving the photos and hope they will be part of the book.

Instant buy for me, I bet any page would be interesting.

Offline Cods

« Reply #2040 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 20:49:50 »
Thanks for the detail on the Bluetooth situation - a lot went over my head, and I’m afraid I don’t have the skills to help, but I can get behind it with “I would absolutely buy three of these”... whenever they are developed.

Offline DZed

« Reply #2041 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 18:23:46 »
Final artwork for all of the extra key sets with a few minor additions and changes.

219932-0

219934-1

219936-2

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2042 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 07:00:28 »
Some more photos from the factory.  Here is a fixture that holds the unfinished inner assemblies with installed flippers and springs.

220122-0
220124-1

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #2043 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 08:23:11 »
I have no idea why this JUST dawned on me now... but I totally would have asked a LONG time ago if an APL keyset would have been possible :p

Well, there's always later ;)

Offline spring_forward

« Reply #2044 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 14:55:14 »
I totally would have asked a LONG time ago if an APL keyset would have been possible :p

I'm assuming that Unicomp's APL set would be compatible: https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/USAPLSET

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #2045 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 10:48:43 »
Yeah but those aren't 1-piece keys... and look like the dye sub job was carried out by a drunk orangutan.

I have a bunch of unicomp keys, and they're some hot nasty garbage in comparison to any one of the other original IBM keysets I have.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2046 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 22:58:52 »
Sorry APL is not available. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2047 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 22:54:23 »
The factory continues assembly this week and they have sent some more photos of in-progress and completed assemblies awaiting packaging (the pictured bubble wrap is temporary).

The plan is still to finish all assembly and packaging by month end.

I sent them 137 unique keyboard variations to assemble, based on what everyone has ordered plus the extra keyboards I ordered for the latecomers (still have some left for the early bird round but running very low on early bird Industrial Gray F77 cases - it would be much appreciated if anyone could message me to switch to Black or Off-White/Beige!).

Also as a note, all offered key layouts have a front printed F1 etc. option with legends specific to their layout.

Also nice seeing everyone at Keycon last Saturday! There was a great turnout and over 430 people signed up!

220581-0
220583-1
220585-2

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2048 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 23:32:25 »
220587-0

Offline Vizir

« Reply #2049 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 09:57:54 »
Final artwork for all of the extra key sets with a few minor additions and changes.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

are these ready to order? i want them all!