Author Topic: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome  (Read 986332 times)

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
Re: Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome
« Reply #1050 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 22:24:34 »
Introducing the HERMES Rocketeer SA keyset

(Attachment Link)

This keyset is inspired by the classic Hermes Rocket typewriter made famous throughout the 20th century by countless novelists and journalists. The Hermes Rocket, along with the numerous other ultra-portable typewriters of the era, was the laptop of its day. This is the keyset to draw out your inner Hemmingway.

This would be a keyset exclusively for 60% keyboards and smaller. It is pretty much composed of a single color, with only a few keys in an alternate color. The alternate color keys, which are the bottom row modifiers and the Return key, represent those keys that would not have had a functional equivalent on a Hermes Rocket typewriter, and they all feature novelty legends. In all, there are 9 themed novelty keys that evoke the mechanical design of the Rocket.

The plan would be to offer ANSI and ISO sets, with strong international child kit support and support for all the popular alternate layouts for small keyboards (Atomic, Plank, etc.). In an ideal world, this set would be combined with a group buy for aluminum cases in seafoam green as shown below. In fact, without a seafoam green case, I'm not sure the keyset is worth doing because the case is what really ties the entire color scheme together and completes the Hermes Rocket look.

(Attachment Link)

Such a nice design!as good as your Dasher & Dancer. I really hope we users may buy your keycaps some day……

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Offline mathilda

« Reply #1051 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 11:27:10 »
Your set looks great zslane. What do icons on novelty caps mean?

By the way, would you mind telling me where to download that "Groton Modified" font?

Re: Rocketeer novelty legends:
Top row (L-to-R): Tab, Backspace, (mechanical) carriage return arm
Bottom row (L-to-R): (margin) control pin (L), rocket logo, ribbon spool (L), ribbon spool (R), ribbon color selector, (margin) control pin (R)

Re: font
I don't use Groton Modified for my renders. No digital representation of it is known to exist. I use a combination of Gotham Rounded and Arial Rounded instead.
Thank you bro

Offline Edde

« Reply #1052 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 17:34:22 »
I decided to try and make a keyset quickly and ended up with this:
http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/ae4d1858c589e8af8d8b63718e973215
In reading order: Alphas, Numpad, International (UK, DE, FR, SP, IT, Nordic) Gray modifiers, Orange modifiers, Extra modifiers, Planck/atomic, ergodox and lastly extra spacebars. I made this as a test both to learn KLE better and to try making a set. The caps lock and num lock keys in standard size among the extra modifiers are supposed to be windowed.
I'm just wondering if it's good/bad or if anything is missing so that I know. Did I make too many Planck keys for example?
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 17:42:25 by Edde »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1053 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:22:46 »
In reading order: Alphas, Numpad, International (UK, DE, FR, SP, IT, Nordic) Gray modifiers, Orange modifiers, Extra modifiers, Planck/atomic, ergodox and lastly extra spacebars. I made this as a test both to learn KLE better and to try making a set. The caps lock and num lock keys in standard size among the extra modifiers are supposed to be windowed.
I'm just wondering if it's good/bad or if anything is missing so that I know. Did I make too many Planck keys for example?

Looks like Round 6 alphas with Carbon modifiers at a glance.

A popular pair of colorways, really. 

Offline Edde

« Reply #1054 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 18:48:13 »

Looks like Round 6 alphas with Carbon modifiers at a glance.

A popular pair of colorways, really.

Yeah, I mainly wanted to do a set with light gray and orange, and ended up with this. Are there any sets out there like it? Just wondering.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1055 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 19:11:34 »
Yeah, if you do a quick google search, you will see that it is pretty much identical to the Carbon colorway.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1056 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 19:39:54 »
Introducing the HERMES Rocketeer SA keyset

(Attachment Link)

This keyset is inspired by the classic Hermes Rocket typewriter made famous throughout the 20th century by countless novelists and journalists. The Hermes Rocket, along with the numerous other ultra-portable typewriters of the era, was the laptop of its day. This is the keyset to draw out your inner Hemmingway.

This would be a keyset exclusively for 60% keyboards and smaller. It is pretty much composed of a single color, with only a few keys in an alternate color. The alternate color keys, which are the bottom row modifiers and the Return key, represent those keys that would not have had a functional equivalent on a Hermes Rocket typewriter, and they all feature novelty legends. In all, there are 9 themed novelty keys that evoke the mechanical design of the Rocket.

The plan would be to offer ANSI and ISO sets, with strong international child kit support and support for all the popular alternate layouts for small keyboards (Atomic, Plank, etc.). In an ideal world, this set would be combined with a group buy for aluminum cases in seafoam green as shown below. In fact, without a seafoam green case, I'm not sure the keyset is worth doing because the case is what really ties the entire color scheme together and completes the Hermes Rocket look.

(Attachment Link)
This is amazing.  I plan on abandoning the standard 60% layout in a few months, but I really want this set.  Having no legend on the caps lock works for me because that is my control key.  But I would need a 1.75u right shift key, arrow keys, a couple r1 1u keys to replace the backspace bar, 2 2u space bars, and 2 r4 1u keys.  A 1.5u r3 key would be perfect too, but I can always camp out at PMK, waiting for some compatible 1.5u key to be available.  Even if none of these keys become available, I would still be tempted to keep using my Pok3r just to use this set.  If that render image was larger, I would make it my desktop background.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1057 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 20:45:10 »
A lot of those alternate keys would probably end up in one or more child kits since the idea is to support as many alternate (albeit small) keyboard layouts as possible. Blanks of all sizes and rows would probably be a good idea as well.

Not sure about arrow keys though since they are outside the scope of the keyset concept.

BTW, if you really want a desktop wallpaper sized version of the render, without all the promotional text and crap (just the keyboard and logo) I could probably whip one up.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1058 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 21:11:28 »
Thanks, that would be great.  But, actually, I like the image with the promotional text.  Your offer to make it a wallpaper has got me wondering if releasing well-designed wallpaper-sized renders along with interest checks could actually increase interest and awareness for a set.  Also, as long as there are blanks available, I could live without arrows.  Also also, even if this set released only as it appears in the render, if the price was right, I would be really tempted to paint my Pok3r and buy this set just to display it.

Offline jennb

« Reply #1059 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 14:25:21 »
A few pages back someone mentioned wishing sets included 1U keys for modifiers. I'm waiting for a DSA (or even all row 3 SA) child kit or GB for something like this:

Pardon my messy mockup. I'm really keen on three-letter (or less) abbreviations. I don't really care what color scheme or even really what symbols are used. That said I think I'd prefer a paw print instead of the home symbol for Home.

This would be nice for those of us using a Planck or Atomic or other keyboards with many 1U keys. Maybe we're not a large enough user base?

There have been some sets that have come close to doing this, just not close enough.

Oh, and...

I also think the PUP, PDN, HME, ENT could be replaced with UP, DN, LT, RT and the symbols could simply be arrows. I haven't thought through my Atomic and Planck layouts enough, but it seems to me arrows can do double or triple duty and thus eliminate the need for other keys. But that's an aside...mostly I want more 1Us with uniform profiles!
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 August 2016, 14:45:07 by jennb »
Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #1060 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 02:21:57 »
Leather keycap :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #1061 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 13:32:15 »
Next step, is sponsored keycaps.

Doubleshots with custom legends brought to you by...

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #1062 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 02:08:25 »
just like other products.Like clothes like shoes, We can make it colorful and comfortable.I wanna try the wooden keycaps.

Offline keyladding

« Reply #1063 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 09:32:09 »

Tab is a registered trademark of the Coca Cola Corporation.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #1064 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 14:48:26 »

Tab is a registered trademark of the Coca Cola Corporation.

Spacebar is offered to you by the ISS snack company.

Offline Ion

« Reply #1065 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 18:00:56 »
Hi everyone. Until now I was only here to read but today I did a thing and I thought I could as well register and share it.
The design is a tribute to the Porsche 917 with it's legendary gulf oil livery.
I think I saw similar color combinations before so it might not be something completely new.
147252-0

It was just too much fun so I had to try something else. Here we go:
147264-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 18:23:19 by Ion »

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1066 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 01:50:59 »
Hi everyone. Until now I was only here to read but today I did a thing and I thought I could as well register and share it.
I think I saw similar color combinations before so it might not be something completely new.
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

The first set is similar to the Yuri colorway.

The second set gives me the impression of manly unicorn meets 1976.  That's not a bad thing.

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #1067 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 23:27:31 »
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Font needs to be rounded like the numbering on the car
-Axiomatik

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #1068 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 19:49:13 »
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Rather expensive to do font changes with doubleshot caps.

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #1069 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 23:06:58 »
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Rather expensive to do font changes with doubleshot caps.

Probably, but it would be one sick set.
-Axiomatik

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Custom Keycap Ideas Thread - all ideas welcome
« Reply #1070 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 11:39:08 »
accel world is awesome, snow black is awesome, therefore BLACK LOTUS is...  :))

DSA or GMK?  :-\ they would both look awesome tho  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2016, 11:45:54 by potatobot »

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #1071 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 11:44:30 »
accel world is awesome, snow black is awesome, there for BLACK LOTUS is...  :))

Show Image

Show Image

GMK all the way.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline silaz

« Reply #1072 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:30:07 »
accel world is awesome, snow black is awesome, therefore BLACK LOTUS is...  :))

Show Image

Show Image

I'm throwing my money at the screen but I can't seem to get anything!? Btw, who makes that figure of black lotus? I don't think I have seen it before!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #1073 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 09:26:43 »
GMK all the way.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but I can't seem to get anything!? Btw, who makes that figure of black lotus? I don't think I have seen it before!

Thanks for the support guys!

As requested,

GMK Black Lotus
- font (not sure with the sizes coz there is no preset)
- Colors (tried my best to do this in the keyboard layout editor but the colors weren't up to date so i used the SP colors for now)

Sorry if i messed up, please do help me with GMK's specs especially with the font and all. The updated GMK color swatches are on its way :)

Im always open for suggestions and recommendations guys!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 September 2016, 09:32:52 by potatobot »

Offline drakeonyou

• facebook
« Reply #1074 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 03:53:09 »
Agar SA [draft] by drakeonyou

[ Specified attachment is not available ]
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 September 2016, 03:56:13 by drakeonyou »

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #1075 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 00:40:10 »
I don't think I have the energy to design and execute actual keycap sets that can be sold on Massdrop, but I have some ideas that I think would make really beautiful keycap sets. If any of you want to take these ideas and turn them into keycap sets, feel free to do so.

Matcha, Coffee, and Chocolate - This set is inspired by the matcha green tea desserts that are so yummy, and are often paired with chocolate. Add coffee to it and it's a gorgeous and tasteful set of color palette using matcha green with dark brown legends for alphas, dark or medium chocolate browns with match green legends for modifiers, and cappuccino/latte light browns for accents (Esc, Enter, arrows, etc.).

Rocky Road - Almond beige or golden caramel with dark or medium brown legends for alphas, dark or medium chocolate browns with beige or caramel legends for modifiers, and white marshmallow for accents (Esc, Enter, arrows, etc.).

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #1076 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 01:09:15 »
Matcha, Coffee, and Chocolate - This set is inspired by the matcha green tea desserts that are so yummy, and are often paired with chocolate. Add coffee to it and it's a gorgeous and tasteful set of color palette using matcha green with dark brown legends for alphas, dark or medium chocolate browns with match green legends for modifiers, and cappuccino/latte light browns for accents (Esc, Enter, arrows, etc.).
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Here you go:

-Joshua
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2016, 01:21:00 by jjanssen1 »
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #1077 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 01:20:38 »
Rocky Road - Almond beige or golden caramel with dark or medium brown legends for alphas, dark or medium chocolate browns with beige or caramel legends for modifiers, and white marshmallow for accents (Esc, Enter, arrows, etc.).
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And here you go:

-Joshua
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #1078 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 01:55:56 »
@jjanssen1 - What did you use to create the custom colors? Is there an online configuration tool somewhere?

The Matcha, Coffee, Chocolate looks pretty good. The accents look more like yellow than a creamy coffee though (needs to be more cappucchino/latte than banana cream).

The Rocky Road's also got too much yellow in the alphas, and should look more like caramel or maybe slightly toasted sliced almonds.

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #1079 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 02:03:28 »
@jjanssen1 - What did you use to create the custom colors? Is there an online configuration tool somewhere?

The Matcha, Coffee, Chocolate looks pretty good. The accents look more like yellow than a creamy coffee though (needs to be more cappucchino/latte than banana cream).

The Rocky Road's also got too much yellow in the alphas, and should look more like caramel or maybe slightly toasted sliced almonds.

Keyboard-Layout-Editor.com
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #1080 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 02:41:26 »

Thanks!

Here's my first attempt at the Matcha, Coffee, Chocolate set (it looks less saturated when viewed using ACDSee. In Chrome it's a bit too saturated):
149916-0

This is a desaturated version that should look closer to my intent:
149920-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2016, 02:46:18 by Lunatique »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #1081 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 03:25:08 »

Thanks!

Here's my first attempt at the Matcha, Coffee, Chocolate set (it looks less saturated when viewed using ACDSee. In Chrome it's a bit too saturated):
(Attachment Link)

This is a desaturated version that should look closer to my intent:
(Attachment Link)

looking decent, the enter and esc should be in cream/light brown tho.

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #1082 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 18:59:04 »
PBT DSA Climber Caps https://imgur.com/gallery/xRzsR
ortho or shmortho

Offline MrBreakfst

« Reply #1083 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 11:52:21 »
I made this in maybe 15 minutes in KLE
What do you think?
150551-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 11:55:16 by MrBreakfst »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #1084 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 06:00:56 »

GMK black lotus :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #1085 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 21:26:42 »
[deleted]
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2016, 22:21:20 by nsmechkb »

Offline Stan68

« Reply #1086 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 07:06:25 »
I had this little design in my head for a bit, wondering what you guys think of it and what could make it better.  The alphanumeric keys colour is GMK WS1, the font colour is 2B, the modifiers keys colour is T9, Red is V1, Blue is N5, Yellow is N6, Green is N7.
GMK United Colors  :D
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2016, 09:34:25 by Stan68 »

Offline JonnyPolygon

• Mechanical keyboard masterrace
« Reply #1087 on: Mon, 28 November 2016, 14:09:17 »
This gave me a few ideas for my next custom keyboard, thinking of doing something star wars related since it will match my case

Ducky Shine | i7 GTX 980ti | Top 9 best mechanical keyboards

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #1088 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 08:54:02 »
(Attachment Link)

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

sooo, anything happening with this one? DSA Maybe? =)

Offline A Future Pilot

• A Descentr
« Reply #1089 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 09:51:01 »
So me and a friend are working up a custom keycap set that I plan to run a group buy for that's based off the old video game Descent. I'm just using the .svg template from WASD (because I plan on getting them there first), and I'll post it when it's finished.

One design decision I've made is to make the esc and meta keys have Descent-specific symbols, but have the rest use symbols that make sense (so it's not terribly difficult for some random person to find a key when they need it). One key I'm hung up on is Insert. I can't figure out what a good "makes sense" symbol would be for it. Do any of you have images of Insert symbols that make sense that I could use for inspiration?

Thanks!
Here's the WW1 Flying Ace standing beside his Sopwith Camel

Offline sems

« Reply #1090 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 06:08:05 »
Where do you get the render files such as models etc. I would love if i can find a decent model set for SA or Cherry sets so I could experiment.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1091 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 07:39:11 »
Where do you get the render files such as models etc. I would love if i can find a decent model set for SA or Cherry sets so I could experiment.

IIRC when I was planning to model an SA set there was one available but it isn't (wasn't?) spherical. I gave up on using SA keyset models from the community and made my own meshes. DSA is available, though. Mastercheeseface's modeling (CAD?) is extremely detailed. I think you can find files from Reddit?

Offline classiccarguy92

« Reply #1092 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 02:07:10 »
A couple ideas I had for some cool keycaps would be anice alien head (xenomorph), maybe a Yoda, and an r2d2

Offline zslane

« Reply #1093 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 11:46:52 »
As far as I can tell, each of us who create our own CG renders use keycap models that we made for ourselves. This is why you can often tell who made a render from the SA keycap models.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #1094 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 16:15:33 »
Is there any interest in a PBT DCS set, or is GMK much more preferred when it comes to Cherry profile?

For the sake of sharing ideas, here's a quick PBT DCS set I made: http://imgur.com/a/DAnmo

Offline zslane

« Reply #1095 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 21:46:04 »
Er, DCS isn't the same as Cherry, right? I think the only thing DCS, OEM, and Cherry (GMK?) have in common is that they are all sculptured cylindricals.

Offline Jmeferlater

« Reply #1096 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 21:56:41 »
Er, DCS isn't the same as Cherry, right? I think the only thing DCS, OEM, and Cherry (GMK?) have in common is that they are all sculptured cylindricals.

Oh my bad, I just thought it was SP's version of the Cherry profile and was almost indistinguishable.
After looking it up more though it seems there are more differences than I thought.

I still wonder if DCS is still relevant, or if it has become unfavorable to the alternatives.

Offline zslane

« Reply #1097 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 23:37:39 »
I got the impression that DCS was popular with keyset designers because SP's MOQ was much lower than GMK and their color options much larger than GMK. Things have improved somewhat for GMK, and so I think you are seeing more and more GMK sets being proposed. I wouldn't say that DCS is becoming less relevant, but I would say that GMK is certainly becoming more viable (little by little).

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #1098 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 12:48:34 »
I am a Dolch enthusiast, but unfortunately there is no SA version of the Dolch. Now I have an idea for developing a SA Dolch.
Does anyone like a SA verson Dolch? :p

Offline zslane

« Reply #1099 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 13:18:44 »
I love Dolch, but I prefer traditional Dolch colors.