Author Topic: Mechanical Split Keyboard  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Necroleachate

Mechanical Split Keyboard
« on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 10:35:01 »
Is there anyone? Or I will have to make my own?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 10:37:43 »
There's a few, but most are OOP.

IBM M15 (Good luck finding this one)
Northgate Evolution
Reveal Something-or-Other
Cherry Ergo-Plus (another one that's hard to find)
uTron (These are in production, but you would have to import one from Asia, and they are about $500)

Offline nraymond

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 11:07:39 »
Quote from: Necroleachate;173450
Is there anyone? Or I will have to make my own?

I really liked the old DataDesk Smartboard (ADB model), and about 8 years ago I bought their USB version, but at the time they changed the plastic from platinum to a semi-translucent white, and it was much more brittle.  It wasn't long before several of the keycaps cracked under normal use (near the stem).  I wrote to them, and they sent me replacement keycaps.  It looks like they've since changed their plastic:

http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_sb.html

I also want to say the keyswitch they used changed between the old ADB version and the USB version, but I haven't tried a side-by-side in quite some time (and when I last had them both out was before I really became very cognizant of keyswitch brands and types).

Their front page also has this at the bottom:

"SmartBoard II - Coming Soon!  Our most sought-after product is getting even better. Every key re-definable w/o software, USB 2.0 Hub, and much more. Call 1-888-446-3222 or email sales@datadesktech.com for information."

Interesting.  I hope they build it well.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 11:27:05 »
I forgot about the Smartboard.  That "Smartboard II..." message has been there for about a year or so.  I wouldn't get too excited about it.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 11:30:31 »
The Apple Adjustable is another, but most people around here that have used it didn't like it.  Most of the split ergo keyboards you find are going to be ALPS-based.  The M15 (BS), uTron (Topre), Maltron (Cherry), Cherry Ergo-Plus and Kinesis (Cherry) are not, but they are much harder to find or fairly expensive (or both).

Offline salcan

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 11:41:30 »
Quote from: itlnstln;173461
The Apple Adjustable is another, but most people around here that have used it didn't like it.  Most of the split ergo keyboards you find are going to be ALPS-based.  The M15 (BS), uTron (Topre), Maltron (Cherry), Cherry Ergo-Plus and Kinesis (Cherry) are not, but they are much harder to find or fairly expensive (or both).

Kinesis Advantage seems like the best bet right now for an ergo mechanical.

I'd forget about the M15 or the Cherry MX-5000 ErgoPlus as they are so hard to find at this point. Though the cherry might be possible if you are in Europe.

Ultimately I think there are three aspects here: reasonable price, split, and mechanical. Choose two.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2010, 11:41:47 by salcan »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 11:46:53 »
I really think the bigger issue is that split keyboards ended up being a fad more than a solution, and all of the better ones (Maltron, Kinesis, uTron, etc.) are niche items that command a higher price.  That said, the ones that are left are better solutions that the ones that are no longer in production with the exception of the M15 and Cherry Ergo-Plus.

Offline noctua

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 13:55:56 »
Do it, make your own! Be sure, your aren't alone with this! :tea:
I have found one, that has it done with a alternative layout called "NEO", 100% handmade look here (german): https://wiki.neo-layout.org/wiki/Neo-Tastaturen

The point is: ... There are nothing good, unless you do it! ...
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2010, 14:25:40 by noctua »
Selfmade Keyboard I (done)
DT225 CH Trackball

Selfmade Keyboard II (95% completed)
L-Trac CST2545W-RC Trackball

both use Cherry MX Blue switches, an Teensy++ controller and have an Colemak layout

Offline Necroleachate

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 17:34:34 »
Thanks, guys, for all the information. Fast as always. :D

I wasn't specific enough at first.
What I am really looking forward is a two-piece keyboard united by a wire. Like the kinesis freestyle, which unfortunately is rubber dome.
But by the answers here I can figure it exists only in my dreams.

ps: uTron looks awesome, but a $500 keyboard is not for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 07:24:47 »
There is an M15 for sale on eBay right now. Check the eBay Finds forum for details.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 11:20:57 »
No, sadly that M15 auction was over when I placed my bid.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.