Author Topic: HHKB for a first board vs a Filco Majestouch  (Read 2558 times)

Offline rickwest

HHKB for a first board vs a Filco Majestouch
« on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 14:13:47 »
Hey Guys, hope everyone is well! New member, so wanted to say hello but also ask a quick question.

I bought my first mechanical keyboard about a year ago and without any proper research I made the mistake of buying a fairly cheap board with red switches. I work as a developer, after changing careers a couple of years ago, so I type a lot but don't touch type and am ashamedly still a hunter and pecker.

Anyway, I have just started learning to touch type and so decided I wanted a better board to type on rather than the crappy reds.

Did my research this time and have bought a HHKB :) . It feels beautiful and I love it although struggling to learn to touch type especially with an 'alternative' layout.

Anyway, I have this nagging doubt though that maybe i should have tried a few different switches first before spending so much money as I really don't have anything to compare it with, so i'm wondering how a blue would feel etc. Now the HHKB and topre feels awesome to me and i'm really happy with it, but should I have learned to touch type properly before starting with such a good quality board and layout or is this a good board and layout to start with? Few dev's at work have suggested that its no good without the arrow keys etc.

I did consider a Filco Majestouch first, but i 'wanted' a HHKB and so just went for it! I guess my real question is, it the HHKB ok for a developer and ok for learning to touch type on? And have i spoiled my fun by starting at the top end of the market or have i just skipped wasting loads of money on other boards!?

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: HHKB for a first board vs a Filco Majestouch
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 14:19:01 »
The HHKB - like most of those other one-purpose keyboards - have a layout that makes it virtually impossible to use with any switches tbh.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 14:28:25 »
HHKB can be used for programming but you need to change the way how you type drastically if you come from a TKL or bigger. It takes a while but you will get used to it. So it would work but it depends from person to person if they can get adjusted to it. If you are planning on getting a other board with arrow keys a TKL/65% keyboard and don't know what switch to use you can get a switch tester and from there see what switch is the closest you like also every board is okay to learn to touch type on ^-^.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline rickwest

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 15:40:34 »
I'm hoping that because I don't currently touch type and i'm 'learning' then its not going to be too much of a problem. I also don't really use many keyboard shortcuts or anything. But I am just slightly worried that learning to touch type on a hhkb then going back to a regular board would be more difficult than learning to type on a regular board then moving to a hhkb later. I'm probably just overthinking it all though anyway!!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 16:55:16 »
I'm hoping that because I don't currently touch type and i'm 'learning' then its not going to be too much of a problem. I also don't really use many keyboard shortcuts or anything. But I am just slightly worried that learning to touch type on a hhkb then going back to a regular board would be more difficult than learning to type on a regular board then moving to a hhkb later. I'm probably just overthinking it all though anyway!!

About the switching back to a normal layout will be annoying since your muscle memory will change. You will try to use Control where capslock is and the try to use \ as backspace on a normal keyboard. If you have to switch from keyboard frequently i wouldn't recommend using the HHKB. That was my reason i stopped using the layout since my brain got confused multiple times using a normal keyboard..
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 16:56:22 »

About the switching back to a normal layout will be annoying since your muscle memory will change. You will try to use Control where capslock is and the try to use \ as backspace on a normal keyboard. If you have to switch from keyboard frequently i wouldn't recommend using the HHKB. That was my reason i stopped using the layout since my brain got confused multiple times using a normal keyboard..

All of my boards are hhkb layout because the switch is rough for me.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 17:09:25 »
About the switching back to a normal layout will be annoying since your muscle memory will change.

It all depends on the frequency. I work on both the M122 and the XT layout for hours on most weekdays, and while the latter has a rather different layout as well, my brain is gradually learning to handle both well.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 January 2019, 20:46:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2019, 19:16:03 by alienman82 »

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 16:04:37 »
When it comes to typing and touch typing, the HHKB is very good. I have a ton of keyboards and I type most accurately on 45g Topre since accidental keystrikes of adjacent keys is more difficult. Cherry MX Red is atrocious for this (though I still like them).

The only thing about the HHKB is the layout, which only really affects the navigation keys and the backspace. The navigation is simply tedious on it, and that might not be good for a programmer who's often moving the cursor around constantly, whereas it's fine for general writing. I avoid using the HHKB for programming and typing LaTeX, but use it all the time for normal typing and writing.

So, for learning to type properly, it's excellent. For programming, I think the layout is tedious.

Best case would be a 45g Topre Realforce board so you get the great switches for typing and a normal layout for programming.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 16:12:21 »
If you're just learning to touch type....I actually think you picked one of the worst possible options.

I love the HHKB...but for awhile it was incredibly frustrating switching back and forth to a normal keyboard because the layout is different...So I'd get a lot of \\\ on a normal keyboard...(oddly I could go back to the HHKB without a problem).  It took me awhile before I was able to switch back and forth easily...but I already knew how to touch type.

If you're just learning how...I think you've only made your task that much harder..you can definitely do it..but I would've started with something standard...and then all you need to add is getting used to the minor changes in keys...but instead you're doing it all at once..