Author Topic: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - 100% Shipped - Cleaning up  (Read 305939 times)

Offline speaktobrett

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - Updated 10/31/18
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 17:00:20 »
Will the raw aluminum ship sooner or are they being redesigned as well?

Those are in the same batch as the other alu cases, so they'll ship at the same time those other ones will

Is there any chance the alu kits will arrive before Christmas?

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #351 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 18:24:02 »
Will the raw aluminum ship sooner or are they being redesigned as well?

Those are in the same batch as the other alu cases, so they'll ship at the same time those other ones will

Is there any chance the alu kits will arrive before Christmas?

A possibility but not likely. I still need to check in with the factory to see how things are going on their end.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #352 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 23:02:51 »
If anyone wants to sell their ALU Southpaw, please let me know :)

Offline LovelyUncle

• Vanmech
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 15:21:55 »
Any idea when the bent plates are shipping?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 21:16:11 »

Gonna try and start getting them out the door by Monday the 26th. It's been a little busy lately but I should have some time this weekend.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline LovelyUncle

• Vanmech
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 22:20:48 »

Gonna try and start getting them out the door by Monday the 26th. It's been a little busy lately but I should have some time this weekend.

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

Were there ever any numbers on how many boards were remanufactured?

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #356 on: Fri, 23 November 2018, 17:38:02 »
Has anyone managed to port this board over to QMK yet?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 01:24:41 »
Small update on shipping, but I've packed all the hardware and sorted everything out, but I'm out of bubble wrap. Ordered some today so should be packing boxes again on Friday or so.

switchplate.co

Offline blue sky

« Reply #358 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 05:59:30 »
We don't have any news from the EU proxy, is it still them that take care of everything for EU ? You are in charge only for US orders normally no?

Offline edj628

« Reply #359 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 07:42:39 »
Really taking your time with this, eh? :rolleyes:

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #360 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 13:40:58 »

lol what  :rolleyes:

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #361 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 14:47:03 »

I guess its better than giving us defective products and calling it GB ended. But 1+ year though...

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 14:57:13 »

I guess its better than giving us defective products and calling it GB ended. But 1+ year though...

It's definitely better... He could've disappeared, ****ed off, or told us all to get ****ed. I say, take as long as you need, as long as we're moving forward!

Offline blue sky

« Reply #363 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 15:45:36 »
Completely agree, I prefer to wait for having a good product than to have a defect one or no product at all.

I was just wondering waht happening for EU proxy ;)

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #364 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 00:15:30 »
Just packed all the bent plate orders up. Should be headed to the post office on Monday.

switchplate.co

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #365 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 00:23:40 »
Just packed all the bent plate orders up. Should be headed to the post office on Monday.

nice!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LovelyUncle

• Vanmech
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 23:38:48 »

Damn can't wait!

Offline bitsoup

« Reply #367 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 02:00:15 »
Ooh he printed shipping labels! Only a month or two till the post office receives them!

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - 80% Complete
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 11 December 2018, 14:26:49 »
got my bent plate, screw holes the same size at the nuts that come with it, and idk if i could get something big enought without blocking a switch

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #369 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 02:56:48 »
got my bent plate, screw holes the same size at the nuts that come with it, and idk if i could get something big enought without blocking a switch

Screws go in the front side of the bent plate. Nuts go on the bottom against the acrylic.

switchplate.co

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 12:11:43 »

Screws go in the front side of the bent plate. Nuts go on the bottom against the acrylic.

sorry should have said this in my original post, the screws are too small for the holes, they just fall right through, am i supposed to catch it on the edge  of the plate????????

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 12 December 2018, 23:05:53 »

sorry should have said this in my original post, the screws are too small for the holes, they just fall right through, am i supposed to catch it on the edge  of the plate????????

Ah, no the screw heads should tighten against the top side of the PCB and the nuts should go on the bottom side of the acrylic. Screws would be too short for plate+pcb+diffuser.

switchplate.co

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #372 on: Thu, 13 December 2018, 09:06:24 »
Have the bent plates arrived at Candykeys?

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #373 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 06:24:54 »
Any idea when is Candykeys shipping stuff out? Or has the stuff even arrived at Candykeys yet?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 00:14:13 »
Any idea when is Candykeys shipping stuff out? Or has the stuff even arrived at Candykeys yet?
According to my fab, they haven't picked up the boxes yet. I'll check in with them on Wednesday after christmas to see if they've arranged for it cause last I heard from them the pickup was arranged and all.

switchplate.co

Offline Eturior

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 05:39:33 »
I'm interested in one integrated case. Anyone or anywhere to get one?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 04:24:24 »
I'm interested in one integrated case. Anyone or anywhere to get one?

Only 3 cases made it past QC as the issue was a result of the design requiring tolerances that were too tight for the manufacturing methods that needed to be used. You're probably better off seeing if you can design one yourself. Should be pretty easy with fusion and a one off from a steel fab in China should be around $150.

switchplate.co

Offline karankshah

« Reply #377 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 18:09:36 »
I'm putting together the keyboard now.

It's my first one, so please excuse the noob question, but just wanted to confirm how the parts are going to come together.

• Looks like the rubber washers are meant to mount onto the 4 screws. Do the washers go between the acrylic and the pcb or the pcb and the bent plate?
  • I think reconsiderit mentioned that we should remove and resolder an element on the flipside  of where it's currently attached - is this still necessary?
  • Is there a set of steps that makes the most sense to follow as part of doing this? i.e., recommendations for another keyboard? I'm pretty comfortable soldering/desoldering, just would like to minimize any headache in putting this together incorrectly and potentially having to redo the whole thing.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #378 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 20:37:01 »
I'm putting together the keyboard now.

It's my first one, so please excuse the noob question, but just wanted to confirm how the parts are going to come together.

• Looks like the rubber washers are meant to mount onto the 4 screws. Do the washers go between the acrylic and the pcb or the pcb and the bent plate?
  • I think reconsiderit mentioned that we should remove and resolder an element on the flipside  of where it's currently attached - is this still necessary?
  • Is there a set of steps that makes the most sense to follow as part of doing this? i.e., recommendations for another keyboard? I'm pretty comfortable soldering/desoldering, just would like to minimize any headache in putting this together incorrectly and potentially having to redo the whole thing.

1)  So with the diffuser, from top to bottom it goes Screw, PCB, Rubber o-ring, diffuser, and then the brass nut.
2)  If you do not move the reset switch, it sits higher than the o rings and will cause the diffuser to bow out a tiny bit where it's soldered. Basically just an aesthetic thing. IMO, looks better when the diffuser sits evenly all around. You can also just snip the component and reset the board by shorting the pads that are visible through the two holes in the plate between the left stabilizer cutout and the left alt cutout.
3)  Just something I've done myself a few times, but test the stabilizers (esp the spacebar) before you solder. If you dont like the feel of it, you can still remove the PCB and retune them instead of having to desolder 100-something joints.

switchplate.co

Offline karankshah

« Reply #379 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 23:10:36 »

1)  So with the diffuser, from top to bottom it goes Screw, PCB, Rubber o-ring, diffuser, and then the brass nut.
2)  If you do not move the reset switch, it sits higher than the o rings and will cause the diffuser to bow out a tiny bit where it's soldered. Basically just an aesthetic thing. IMO, looks better when the diffuser sits evenly all around. You can also just snip the component and reset the board by shorting the pads that are visible through the two holes in the plate between the left stabilizer cutout and the left alt cutout.
3)  Just something I've done myself a few times, but test the stabilizers (esp the spacebar) before you solder. If you dont like the feel of it, you can still remove the PCB and retune them instead of having to desolder 100-something joints.

Thanks for the direction!

Definitely checked the stabs just now Separately, I may or may not have realized #1 for myself when I was test-fitting a bunch of things and the screw slipped right through the hole on the plate. Also just realized that my key cap kit doesn't have any 1.5u mods for the bottom row, so have to rethink the bottom row from what I was planning.

I'm noticing a bit of a bow to the PCB - what's the best way to deal with it when soldering?

Offline karankshah

« Reply #380 on: Thu, 27 December 2018, 23:35:48 »
(Deleted - disregard)
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 December 2018, 23:48:35 by karankshah »

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #381 on: Fri, 28 December 2018, 10:05:17 »
Any updates on the Candykey's Aluminum Kits?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #382 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 04:02:12 »

I'm doing manufacturing for all the alu cases. They're finalizing anodization and should be done the week of new years or so. I'll have things logistically sorted from there on out.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #383 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 04:04:50 »

Thanks for the direction!

Definitely checked the stabs just now Separately, I may or may not have realized #1 for myself when I was test-fitting a bunch of things and the screw slipped right through the hole on the plate. Also just realized that my key cap kit doesn't have any 1.5u mods for the bottom row, so have to rethink the bottom row from what I was planning.

I'm noticing a bit of a bow to the PCB - what's the best way to deal with it when soldering?

If your PCB is bowed, your switches are probably not seated into the PCB (given that they're PCB mount). If they're plate mount, tack down a few points while pressing down on the PCB to make sure it stays down. Once you have a few points across the board, you should be able to solder the rest without issues.

The Screws sit on the PCB and hold the acrylic diffuser to the PCB. It DOES NOT hold the diffuser to the metal chassis. The screw should fall through the plate.

switchplate.co

Offline karankshah

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 18:36:39 »
Finished! Thanks to reconsiderit for all the help! Really happy with how it's come out!

Put together a quick album here: https://imgur.com/a/zZU2la9

Offline THRILLHOIAF

Re: [GB] Southpaw Extended 65% - Remanufacturing - Updated 9/14/18
« Reply #385 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 10:48:52 »

Nice work dude!

Do you mind sharing your full config?

Thanks, I don't mind at all!  I also discovered what I believe to be the issue with toggling backlighting, but again, I know little enough that it's just a guess at this point.

Firstly, I modified the layout shared by Reconsiderit to the following:
(Attachment Link)

Layer 1 is pretty simple, basically giving me access to F keys:
(Attachment Link)

I'm using the kai.tkg.io Chrome extension with the two layers above and the following Fn and LED configuration:
(Attachment Link)

From what I can tell, both Num Lock and the individual key backlighing are controlled by the LED1 row (which Reconsiderit calls for in his programming guide).  This means that if you set that row to have no binding, you can toggle it with the Fn3 key.  Unfortunately in doing so, you no longer have a num lock indicator, and the led for that key just toggles with the rest of the backlighting. I've tried assigning num lock to LED2 and LED3, both to no avail.

The way that I have it set up as shown in the image, Num lock unfortunately also toggles the backlighting, so I've got it reversed just based on preference to have num lock always on when not backlit.  At this point, I've also re-purposed the Fn3 key on my board to be Print Screen, because I'd rather have a useful key until I can get the LED question figured out.

If you get a chance to try anything else and have any input, feel free to share!

I built my southpaw for my wife so its a pretty simple setup, obviously the 2nd layer can be more complex, but I found I required 4 FN keys to be able to toggle the RGB underglow on/off as well as switch between the color profiles

this is my setup

Pretty simple setup that gets the job done. have to have this setup on kai.tkg.io/  to be able to play around with RGB  easily

Layer1 data - copy into KLE and edit -
More
["Num Lock","/","*","-","Esc","!\n1","@\n2","#\n3","$\n4","%\n5","^\n6","&\n7","*\n8","(\n9",")\n0","_\n-","+\n=",{w:2},"Backspace","Del"],
["7\nHome","8\nUp","9\nPgUp",{h:2},"+",{w:1.5},"Tab","Q","W","E","R","T","Y","U","I","O","P","{\n[","}\n]",{w:1.5},"|\n\\","PgUp"],
["4\nLeft","5","6\nRight",{x:1,w:1.75},"Caps Lock","A","S","D","F","G","H","J","K","L",":\n;","\"\n'",{w:2.25},"Enter","PgDn"],
["1\nEnd","2\nDown","3\nPgDn",{h:2},"Enter",{w:2.25},"Shift","Z","X","C","V","B","N","M","<\n,",">\n.","?\n/",{w:1.75},"Shift","Up","Fn1"],
[{w:2},"0\nIns",".\nDel",{x:1,w:1.25},"Ctrl",{w:1.25},"Win",{w:1.25},"Alt",{w:6.25},"Space",{w:1.5},"Alt",{w:1.5},"Menu","Left","Down","Right"]

Layer2 data - copy into KLE and edit however you want, just make sure you have the proper number of FN keys
More
[{a:7},"","","","",{a:4},"Esc","F1","F2","F3","F4","F5","F6","F7","F8","F9","F10","F11","F12",{w:2},"Backspace","fn4"],
[{a:7},"","","",{h:2},"",{a:4,w:1.5},"Tab",{a:7},"","","","","","","","","","","","",{w:1.5},"",{a:4},"Fn3"],
[{a:7},"","","",{x:1,a:4,w:1.75},"Caps lock",{a:7},"","","","","","","","","","","",{a:4,w:2.25},"enter","FN2"],
[{a:7},"","","",{h:2},"",{a:4,w:2.25},"shift",{a:7},"","","","","","","","","","",{a:4,w:1.75},"shift","up","FN1"],
[{a:7,w:2},"","",{x:1,a:4,w:1.25},"ctrl",{w:1.25},"win",{w:1.25},"alt",{w:6.25},"space",{a:7,w:1.5},"",{w:1.5},"",{a:4},"left","down","right"]

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #386 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 15:04:42 »
Any news on Candykeys picking them up yet?

Offline bearwolfz

« Reply #387 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 02:07:18 »

Has anyone heard anything? I now have two different orders from candykeys that's around 1 years old. And one was "in stock" when i ordered.  :))

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #388 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 02:34:33 »

Has anyone heard anything? I now have two different orders from candykeys that's around 1 years old. And one was "in stock" when i ordered.  :))

Plates picked up. Not 100% sure on PCBs. I'll check again

switchplate.co

Offline bearwolfz

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 15 January 2019, 02:36:18 »

Plates picked up. Not 100% sure on PCBs. I'll check again

Okay! Thanks for answering fast and checking!  :)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 18:25:48 »

I'm doing manufacturing for all the alu cases. They're finalizing anodization and should be done the week of new years or so. I'll have things logistically sorted from there on out.

Any updates? Pictures?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #391 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 15:31:38 »

How's the timescale looking on these?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #392 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 03:47:06 »
Sorry for the lack of updates again.

Factory has redone some of the cases since they didn't quite pass their QC between hand polishing and sandblasting. They want to anodize everything at once since it's not something done in house since the government cracked down and basically got rid of most anodization factories in the area.

To sum it up, atm, everything is at the sandblasted stage save for the few units that did not make it past QC. They are being remade and will go to anodizing after CNY break. For this factory, that would be February 14th.

To assure everyone that I have not pulled a tam nam skam and gone into a coma with GB funds, here are pics provided by the factory.

And here is the pre production unit made by the factory that I do not think I shared here.

Lighting is poor and the color looks kinda like a washed out teal. It's a little brighter and quite a bit cooler than what you see on the screen.

----

As for future timeline, I'm going to try to get things done as soon as possible. I understand that some of you are frustrated with having to wait this long but I appreciate that everyone has been this patient. I want to get things done right this time around so I am being thorough with every step for the sake of my sanity and my wallet since I dont want to have to go through this all over again, for the third time. 

switchplate.co

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #393 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 07:47:49 »
Sorry for the lack of updates again.

Factory has redone some of the cases since they didn't quite pass their QC between hand polishing and sandblasting. They want to anodize everything at once since it's not something done in house since the government cracked down and basically got rid of most anodization factories in the area.

To sum it up, atm, everything is at the sandblasted stage save for the few units that did not make it past QC. They are being remade and will go to anodizing after CNY break. For this factory, that would be February 14th.

To assure everyone that I have not pulled a tam nam skam and gone into a coma with GB funds, here are pics provided by the factory.

Show Image

And here is the pre production unit made by the factory that I do not think I shared here.

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Lighting is poor and the color looks kinda like a washed out teal. It's a little brighter and quite a bit cooler than what you see on the screen.

----

As for future timeline, I'm going to try to get things done as soon as possible. I understand that some of you are frustrated with having to wait this long but I appreciate that everyone has been this patient. I want to get things done right this time around so I am being thorough with every step for the sake of my sanity and my wallet since I dont want to have to go through this all over again, for the third time.

fingers crossed that everything goes as planned
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2019, 10:09:46 by Nigolski »

Offline green_mmq

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 13:59:13 »
does anyone who got a black anodized case want to trade for a raw stainless one? pm me if so

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #395 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 14:46:26 »
Update from Candykeys Jan 25

Dear GB Participants!

We are aware some people are asking questions on the progress of this GB, the last newsletter was sometime ago stating that components are on their way, which they truthfuly were, but we were not aware that 1 part of the keyboards have still not arrived and the Host of the GB is making sure that the Manufacturer still ships them. At the moment we are not getting clear answers as to why they have not been shipped yet but we hope to have them soon as our courier has also tried picking up the last pieces but the host has not been able to explain as in why they got rejected. We are only waiting now for the last components, we have already started piecing together and preparing orders.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #396 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:45:34 »

Dear GB Participants!

We are aware some people are asking questions on the progress of this GB, the last newsletter was sometime ago stating that components are on their way, which they truthfuly were, but we were not aware that 1 part of the keyboards have still not arrived and the Host of the GB is making sure that the Manufacturer still ships them. At the moment we are not getting clear answers as to why they have not been shipped yet but we hope to have them soon as our courier has also tried picking up the last pieces but the host has not been able to explain as in why they got rejected. We are only waiting now for the last components, we have already started piecing together and preparing orders.

Hmm, the host as in @reconsiderit? Should we be concerned?

The duration of this group buy is bordering absurd at this point. From the sounds of it, there truly have been legitimate reasons for delay.

Can I has my keebs now? Pretty please.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2019, 19:48:24 by bmilcs »

Offline davidkoleda

« Reply #397 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 19:28:27 »
Any chance to hop in on these? Maybe somebody changed his mind or there is some leftovers? I'm EU based

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #398 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 04:47:38 »

Dear GB Participants!

Hmm, the host as in @reconsiderit? Should we be concerned?

The duration of this group buy is bordering absurd at this point. From the sounds of it, there truly have been legitimate reasons for delay.

Can I has my keebs now? Pretty please.

The PCBs are still at KPrepublic. CK has sent me labels and I've forwarded them to KP. They haven't had any luck scheduling pickup for paperwork related reasons and due to how it's CNY, I've been told by them that I'll need to wait for China to start back up before they will be able to ship.

I'm updated my end of things tomorrow with manufacturing and all of the aluminum cases. Story short, a few items failed QC so they were remachined and will be anodized after the CNY break.

switchplate.co

Offline HowObvious

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 10:46:32 »

The PCBs are still at KPrepublic. CK has sent me labels and I've forwarded them to KP. They haven't had any luck scheduling pickup for paperwork related reasons and due to how it's CNY, I've been told by them that I'll need to wait for China to start back up before they will be able to ship.

I'm updated my end of things tomorrow with manufacturing and all of the aluminum cases. Story short, a few items failed QC so they were remachined and will be anodized after the CNY break.

Is there any chance of getting an ETA even if its just a rough one, at this point I have no idea how long its going to take and all that's happening is I'm watching the months go by.