Author Topic: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 3054600 times)

Offline ika

Re: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (New spring weight & options added)
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 06:12:34 »
The clear bottoms have PCB mounts, the milk bottoms (old style Gateron) are plate mount.

Offline R4WBIT

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:57:11 »
Having a really hard time choosing 62 or 65. Hmm. The reviews don't make me wiser either. Any opinions?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 17:14:01 »
Having a really hard time choosing 62 or 65. Hmm. The reviews don't make me wiser either. Any opinions?

If you like browns but want a bit more oomph, go with 62g. If you like ergo clears but want a smoother bump, go with 65g :P
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:04:51 »
zeal, i've already got a bunch of gold 62g springs from sprit. are you not selling stems separate? i want to get some 78g but want the lighter stems too. what are my options?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:28:47 »
zeal, i've already got a bunch of gold 62g springs from sprit. are you not selling stems separate? i want to get some 78g but want the lighter stems too. what are my options?

Stems are not sold separately as you'd be missing out on the full experience & smoothness if you put Zealio stems into Cherry switches. Gateron also is not interested in selling stems only.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:39:52 »

Stems are not sold separately as you'd be missing out on the full experience & smoothness if you put Zealio stems into Cherry switches. Gateron also is not interested in selling stems only.

*sigh*

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 02:34:17 »
What about the molecule four mm from the far left corner in a rightmost direction, about fifty micrometers from the outer edge of the switch casing?

Can I have one of those?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 02:39:40 »
What about the molecule four mm from the far left corner in a rightmost direction, about fifty micrometers from the outer edge of the switch casing?

Can I have one of those?

If you pay shipping, I'll gladly ship you an empty box that molecule. :)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 02:40:34 »
Just pm it to me.

Offline techmattr

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 21:49:52 »

I tried putting R1 stems in Cherry housings and it didn't work. Should it have? Every switch was nothing but chatter.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 22:51:56 »

I tried putting R1 stems in Cherry housings and it didn't work. Should it have? Every switch was nothing but chatter.

Quite frankly, I've never tried putting a Purple Zealio stem into Cherry housings. The leg could be positioned slightly lower than the Cherry Clear/Gray stem, but it's hard to tell if it's just missing the "slope" on the top of the stem.

Offline myotherteeshirt

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 12:19:09 »
Hey zeal, I put 65g zealios Inn my orbweaver, and they seem to 'catch' a little when I bottom out - is this an issue with the R1s that are rectified with R2 or can I fix it with lube?

I don't have this issue with the blackwidow, maybe because I mainly use the orbweaver for gaming and the blackwidow  for typing?

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:34:27 »
Ok, this has probably been answered several times already, but I am trying to decide between 78g and 67g. I like Vintage MX blacks, I like MX clears, I think 62g are a little too light for me... mind you that said I am starting to really enjoy them on my Lightsaver (should have an alu plate rather than steel, would feel softer).

I digress... 78g v 67g? What do we compare these to?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:41:44 »
Ok, this has probably been answered several times already, but I am trying to decide between 78g and 67g. I like Vintage MX blacks, I like MX clears, I think 62g are a little too light for me... mind you that said I am starting to really enjoy them on my Lightsaver (should have an alu plate rather than steel, would feel softer).

Only tried browns and clears, kind of want to know the same here

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 20:19:01 »
Hey zeal, I put 65g zealios Inn my orbweaver, and they seem to 'catch' a little when I bottom out - is this an issue with the R1s that are rectified with R2 or can I fix it with lube?

I don't have this issue with the blackwidow, maybe because I mainly use the orbweaver for gaming and the blackwidow  for typing?

It seems to only happen if the following two conditions are met:
1. Your switches are installed LED side "up" (facing away from you)
2. You bottom out heavily

I'm not exactly sure which part is touching that causes that slight feel at the bottom, but some people have reported that it goes away after some wear in. Most custom keyboards have the LED facing down, so it isn't an issue for a fair amount of builders.

If you like Vintage Blacks / Clears, then the answer should be obvious -- 78g. 67g is for people that  want something a bit softer than vintage blacks, but slightly heavier than 62/65g ergo clears.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 02:55:33 »
So I like press after the actuation but Clears are too heavy and there isn't enough travel; browns are too easy and I bottom them out/press keys accidentally a lot. I THINK I'd want 78g?

Also I'm guessing we can't buy springs separately, I'd love to have 67g switches and buy 78g springs so I can swap them out if need be.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 02:58:07 »
Can someone compare the zealio clear with lubed vintage black? I really want to get one for my future board but don't know which one would be better  :thumb:

Offline GeeNDL82

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 03:55:57 »
Finally, i wait to long for this GB :P
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club: http://vietnammechkey.com/

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 08:28:39 »
A while back I asked if anyone had a couple of the 65 and 67 spare for me to test them feels,  I would of course pay for them and shipping.  A kind user has already mailed me the 65g, but still looking for 67g.

Anyone?

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 16:42:05 »
I assume that since these are Gatereon switches, they'll have no issues with stem/spring swapping in Gateron Blues, correct?
I already have a custom board with Blues in them, but don't want to be bothered with desoldering.

Offline Guyon

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 17:22:06 »
In for a set of the 78's via the Infinity ErgoDox Massdrop!

And now, we wait.
CMStorm QuckFire Rapid w/ MX Reds, Vortex Pok3r w/ MX Clears

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 17:35:32 »
So I like press after the actuation but Clears are too heavy and there isn't enough travel; browns are too easy and I bottom them out/press keys accidentally a lot. I THINK I'd want 78g?

Also I'm guessing we can't buy springs separately, I'd love to have 67g switches and buy 78g springs so I can swap them out if need be.

Yeah, Clears bottom out around 100g, so if you want a slightly lighter "Clear", go for 78g :) Springs are not being sold separately.

Can someone compare the zealio clear with lubed vintage black? I really want to get one for my future board but don't know which one would be better  :thumb:

67g linear Zealios would be slightly higher than lubed vintage blacks.

I assume that since these are Gatereon switches, they'll have no issues with stem/spring swapping in Gateron Blues, correct?
I already have a custom board with Blues in them, but don't want to be bothered with desoldering.

You could theoretically do that and harvest the stems, but I'd still recommend desoldering the switches to experience the full switch.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 18:44:30 »

Yeah, Clears bottom out around 100g, so if you want a slightly lighter "Clear", go for 78g :) Springs are not being sold separately.

Guess this is what I'll be doing. When does it close/ship, just to clarify? And the price stays the same per switch until closure?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 18:49:20 »

Guess this is what I'll be doing. When does it close/ship, just to clarify? And the price stays the same per switch until closure?

Estimated close date is Feb 27. Price will remain the same until GB ends.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 18:49:57 »

Estimated close date is Feb 27. Price will remain the same until GB ends.

I should get paid on the 26th, peak times.

Offline myotherteeshirt

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 01:41:50 »

I'm not exactly sure which part is touching that causes that slight feel at the bottom, but some people have reported that it goes away after some wear in. Most custom keyboards have the LED facing down, so it isn't an issue for a fair amount of builders.

If you like Vintage Blacks / Clears, then the answer should be obvious -- 78g. 67g is for people that  want something a bit softer than vintage blacks, but slightly heavier than 62/65g ergo clears.

Well, the orbweaver is for gaming, so lots of bottoming out - and the LEDs are facing away from me. Am i just out of luck there then? Just mash the buttons until they wear in? Would getting 67g zealios be better? I imagine the stiffer spring might help it bounce back faster negating the 'catch'.

Also, i tried popping a spring from an MX clear into a zealio housing, to try and see what a 78g would be like, and it was awful. Am i doing it wrong?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 02:24:30 »

Well, the orbweaver is for gaming, so lots of bottoming out - and the LEDs are facing away from me. Am i just out of luck there then? Just mash the buttons until they wear in? Would getting 67g zealios be better? I imagine the stiffer spring might help it bounce back faster negating the 'catch'.

Also, i tried popping a spring from an MX clear into a zealio housing, to try and see what a 78g would be like, and it was awful. Am i doing it wrong?

I guess you could try wearing them in. It shouldn't take too long. 67g wouldn't help much with not bottoming out as it's still fairly "light".

As for the MX Clear spring, that would be your own opinion. There will always be people who prefer the exponential increase of the weight. :P
The 78g springs I offer are more linear in force. It doesn't just spike up in weight as you pass the 2mm point like MX Clear springs.

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 09:24:38 »
I'm in for some! Hoping RedScarf ends up shipping at the same time as this and I can complete an all purple 75% board with matching backlighting and JTK debut.
I liek keyboards

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 13:09:18 »
How do you usually mark an order of 90-100 of these switches for customs?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 14:11:37 »
How do you usually mark an order of 90-100 of these switches for customs?

$10 merchandise, "Bag of Pushbutton switches".

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 17:26:56 »
Can't decide which one want but probably I will go with 65g. I'm excited about my first GB :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2016, 17:28:39 by Chachal »

Pok3r (MX Clear)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 18:45:52 »

YES you do, get the 78g switches because in life you need to always go in HARD  8) .

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 01:57:54 »

YES you do, get the 78g switches because in life you need to always go in HARD  8) .

Not too hard, I'll go hard but I'm not that mad ;D

Offline skaloola

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 06:20:18 »
thanks for running another round!  78g sounds great.

couple questions:

-whats the difference between the v2 and v3 lubes?  what would you recommend for Zealios?
-got any pics of the magenta and blue colored LEDs?
-are these sip sockets the same kind you've had before?  they kinda look different from ones i got from you in the past

Offline krisst

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:59:45 »
Would like to know if I am able to add other accessories like v3 lube into this GB and be posted together with my order. If so, how do I do that. Thanks

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 08:20:21 »
Would like to know if I am able to add other accessories like v3 lube into this GB and be posted together with my order. If so, how do I do that. Thanks
Would like to know this too.
pls gief bbv2

Offline eeymiel

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 09:07:27 »
Just add both to your shopping cart and checkout.

Offline ClosingCircuits

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:30:19 »
Just made an account to say thanks for the work you do Zeal! Just ordered 80 of the 78g. Only building a 60%, but this will be my first time soldering to a PCB (I've only done patch work on guitars before this). I'm very excited to give this a try!

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:57:15 »
thanks for running another round!  78g sounds great.

couple questions:

-whats the difference between the v2 and v3 lubes?  what would you recommend for Zealios?
-got any pics of the magenta and blue colored LEDs?
-are these sip sockets the same kind you've had before?  they kinda look different from ones i got from you in the past

V2 lube comes filled to 3ml (except spring, only to 0.5ml) in a syringe and comes with a yellow felt applicator needle/brush. V3 lube is filled to 1.8-2ml in a small micro-vial. You'll need to source your own small brush. The Krytox mix are slightly different, but equally great lubes for switches.

As for the LEDs, I don't have pictures on hand as I've been trying to phase into 1.8mm LEDs and dropping 2x3x4. Blue LEDs are generic blue you find in many off-the-shelf mechboards, magenta looks like this:

I'm not sure when you placed your order of SIPs, but the listing with the long legs etc are the newer revision with longer legs that stick out of the PCB for ease of soldering/removing.

Add them into the cart and checkout in one go.

Just made an account to say thanks for the work you do Zeal! Just ordered 80 of the 78g. Only building a 60%, but this will be my first time soldering to a PCB (I've only done patch work on guitars before this). I'm very excited to give this a try!

Thanks for joining! :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2016, 14:59:48 by Zeal »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 11:11:59 »
Ordered a bunch 65's...
Thx for running another Round of these Zeal! =)

Can't wait to solder some smexy Zealios!  :thumb:

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 12:00:23 »
I'm in! Excited about these 78gs!!

Offline Limewirelord

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:50:12 »
So, I enjoy stock MX Clears, 55g Topre clones (RC930), and buckling springs.  Any suggestions for weight?  I'm thinking about putting a board together.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 16:02:35 »
I believe Zeal recommended 78G to someone who had similar preferences as you, it should be in this thread somewhere near the end..
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 17:20:52 »
So, I enjoy stock MX Clears, 55g Topre clones (RC930), and buckling springs.  Any suggestions for weight?  I'm thinking about putting a board together.

78g. :)

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:36:15 »
Alright so lets see if you can recommend me a switch. My favorite switches are in this order Alps Orange , Buckling Springs, MX Clear, MX Blue

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:41:54 »
Alright so lets see if you can recommend me a switch. My favorite switches are in this order Alps Orange , Buckling Springs, MX Clear, MX Blue

Judging by your preferences, I'd say you need custom springs, Aristotle clicky stems, and put those inside a Zealio housing. :thumb:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:45:00 »

Judging by your preferences, I'd say you need custom springs, Aristotle clicky stems, and put those inside a Zealio housing. :thumb:

Zealiostotles. 65g Zealios + Aristotle Stems. Best clicky MX mount switch ever. More tactile, louder, and crisper than MX Blues.

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:07:27 »
Ordered! Can't wait to try these out dude, got a little side-project I can test these out on  ;D ;D
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:08:59 »
Ordered! Can't wait to try these out dude, got a little side-project I can test these out on  ;D ;D

You guys are awesome, can't wait to get my hands on these.

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 00:11:25 »

Zealiostotles. 65g Zealios + Aristotle Stems. Best clicky MX mount switch ever. More tactile, louder, and crisper than MX Blues.

Where do i get my hands on these Aristotle Stems?