Author Topic: Ice Cream Bars  (Read 5976 times)

Offline itlnstln

Ice Cream Bars
« on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 15:01:32 »
You know what sucks?  The wooden stick in ice cream bars.  I mean, I was thoroughly enjoying an Eskimo Pie ice cream bar (chocolate ice cream with chocolate coating) when, about half way down, I found the popsicle stick.  I don't have a problem with it being there in practice, but... it's wood.  It tastes like wood.  I taste more wood than chocolatey goodness.  The worst part, though, is that the stick goes half way up the bar, so it ruins half my chocolate ice cream Nirvana.  Why can't they use plastic sticks.  For the most part, plastic utensils (forks and knives) don't have any flavor, so I would think plastic popsicle sticks would be great.  That, I wouldn't have to have wood in my mouth.

Man, FU*K popsicle sticks!

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 15:05:49 »
hate when that happens ;)

At least its wood and not cardboard. When I get to the tootsie in a tootsie pop the cardboard stick melts and there's paper pulp everywhere. Pretty nasty.

In fact you might say it gives me very megative feelings.  :p

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 15:11:08 »
Plastic is less ecologically sound and has more toxic chemicals than wood, though. ;)

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 15:12:00 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;12066
Plastic is less ecologically sound and has more toxic chemicals than wood, though. ;)

That would sure have a megative effect on the environment

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 15:15:31 »
It's still fu*king up my ice cream, though.  We need a good solution to eliminate taste from the popsicle stick, yet be ecologically sound.

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 15:33:15 »
Quote from: itlnstln;12068
It's still fu*king up my ice cream, though.  We need a good solution to eliminate taste from the popsicle stick, yet be ecologically sound.

how about a candycane?

Offline itlnstln

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 15:42:34 »

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 20:52:20 »
Sometimes, the answer isn't to eliminate the taste, but rather to change it.

Soak the sticks in flavoring.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 November 2008, 23:33:05 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;12083
Sometimes, the answer isn't to eliminate the taste, but rather to change it.

Soak the sticks in flavoring.

Good idea. How about liquid smoke?

Offline fkeidjn

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 01:58:19 »
I'd go for the IT'S-IT.  The only thing you have to worry about though is getting your fingers messy with chocolate.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 02:07:43 »
If you don't want to eat a treat with a wooden stick in the middle, then don't buy them.  :)

Why not stick to Klondike bars, ice cream sandwiches, drumsticks, etc.  There are a lot of wood-free alternatives that are quite tasty.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 07:51:07 »
fkeidjn: Also, if you don't live in Northern California, it costs $86 for a pack.

$86.

Think of how many Model Ms that could buy. :p

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 08:25:37 »
dibs are bite sized, chocolate covered pieces of ice cream. No stick, no spoon, just pop them in your mouth one at a time.

personally i'm partial to drumsticks and ice cream sandwiches (tho the latter can be quite messy). Or even better, get a small carton of ben & jerries and eat directly out of it with a spoon. :)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 08:31:39 »
Actually, as far as ice cream goes, I'd rather have some Cold Stone (their peanut butter and chocolate offering is awesome).

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 09:34:36 »
Quote from: iMav;12089
Actually, as far as ice cream goes, I'd rather have some Cold Stone (their peanut butter and chocolate offering is awesome).

I recently became a fan. I like "founders favorite" tho I forget what exactly is in it. Chocolate and something. :)

Offline itlnstln

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 12:48:46 »
I normally don't buy ice cream (I am kind of  health nut), but I am a chocolate addict, so I was trying to get a fix.  You're right, iMav, Cold Stone's chocolate and peanut butter is strong.  If I do buy ice cream, I usually get some Dreyer's/Edy's sugar free triple chocolate and mix it with Laura Scudder's/Smucker's natural peanut butter (you know, the stuff you have to stir).

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 12:52:29 »

but I am a chocolate addict, so I was trying to get a fix

i keep a bag of hersheys kisses near my desk for exactly that. 30 or so calories each, one or two usually "fix" the fix. :)

Offline lowpoly

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 November 2008, 14:17:22 »
When I was a kid there were plastic ice cream bars that you could connect to build stuff. Loved those.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 14:38:38 »
Man, I thought I was the only one who really hated the frickin wooden sticks in ice cream bars.  I spend a huge effort eating around those things, biting carefully like I'm walking in a field of dog poop, and breaking off chunks just to avoid the possibility of contacting my teeth with that stick.

The best solution:  The Big Ed Super Saucer.  (http://www.bigeds.com)  It's a huge ice cream sandwich made out of chocolate chip cookies (one on each side, with ice cream in the middle).  Totally awesome.

They were the first game in town for this kind of product, and then Nestle and others started making their own cookie-and-ice-cream-sandwiches.  Since they're bigger conglomerates with cheaper distribution, they've essentially run Big Ed out on its ass, and now I can't find any Big Eds for the life of me.

Alas for the little guy.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 14:43:51 »
Quote from: itlnstln;12110
I normally don't buy ice cream (I am kind of  health nut)

I tried to be a health nut ... but then I got high.

Offline bigpook

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 15:00:33 »
Quote from: xsphat;12261

Time for Denny's?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 16:23:32 »
If you're buying, I'm game!

Offline secularzarathustra

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 16:37:37 »
Quote from: xsphat;12261

It's possible to do both :)
Dark and the Desert and Destriers me ken,
And the Glaive and the Joust, and Paper and Pen.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 16:42:32 »
Quote from: secularzarathustra;12278
It's possible to do both :)

Sure, just piss on my excuse.

Offline itlnstln

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 17:14:03 »
Quote from: bigpook;12264
Time for Denny's?

Strong!  I'm in, too.  Used to be one of my favs when I got the munchies.  In Austin, TX, there were lots of great places to cure the munchies at 3 a.m.

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 17:29:40 »
Quote from: itlnstln;12284
Strong!  I'm in, too.  Used to be one of my favs when I got the munchies.  In Austin, TX, there were lots of great places to cure the munchies at 3 a.m.

you're not still in austin are you? Austin sounds like a fun college town.

Offline itlnstln

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 17:43:01 »
Unfortunately, no.  My fiancee and I are trying to move to Austin, but selling a house in this market is an excercise in futility.  For the record, UT Austin is my Alma Mater (c/o 2000 - BA History, Minor in Classical Civilizations).

Offline wellington1869

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 November 2008, 18:18:07 »
Quote from: itlnstln;12293
Unfortunately, no.  My fiancee and I are trying to move to Austin, but selling a house in this market is an excercise in futility.  For the record, UT Austin is my Alma Mater (c/o 2000 - BA History, Minor in Classical Civilizations).

Stock market had a robust bounce today; hope springs eternal. ;)  A few more bailouts and people will feel more comfortable with spending money again.

Offline djones

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 02:20:59 »
I don't mind the wooden sticks. One of my hobbies is to stand in front of the 24 hour fitness near work with a chocolate covered haagen daz bar and eating it where some, er, plus-size women on the trendmills can see me.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 02:22:27 »
:)

Offline itlnstln

Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 08:43:07 »
Quote from: djones;12335
I don't mind the wooden sticks. One of my hobbies is to stand in front of the 24 hour fitness near work with a chocolate covered haagen daz bar and eating it where some, er, plus-size women on the trendmills can see me.

That reminds me of the Weght Watchers Office near where I work that has a Baskin Robbins and a Whataburger (fast food restaurant here in TX) right out front.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Ice Cream Bars
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 November 2008, 15:45:30 »
We had a plaza here with three stores: from right to left - a fine womens dress store, donut shop and finally, the womens gym.