Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 183219 times)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Plate Prototype, Mockup and Newsletter!
« Reply #450 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:06:26 »
I would like to make something like this. I should build my own case to close those gaps at the bottom corners.

Show Image

No ctrl?!

Don't pull an imgur on me, just because it isn't stated I think they are using capslock for control.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #451 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 16:08:33 »
I would like to make something like this. I should build my own case to close those gaps at the bottom corners.

Show Image

No ctrl?!

Don't pull an imgur on me, just because it isn't stated I think they are using capslock for control.

Right. But the set I would use does not carry a key with Control legend for the caps lock.

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #452 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:23:51 »
So you'd use a stepped caps lock instead? OK.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #453 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 18:17:58 »
So you'd use a stepped caps lock instead? OK.

Right.

I am using this right now.

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #454 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:01:59 »
This is what ISO does to people :)

In all seriousness, I think the stepped caps lock is designed that way to make it less touch-type friendly (to prevent accidental activation). That's not all bad for having a modifier in the same spot (like control).

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #455 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 09:11:36 »

In all seriousness, I think the stepped caps lock is designed that way to make it less touch-type friendly (to prevent accidental activation). That's not all bad for having a modifier in the same spot (like control).
I don't personally use ISO, but instead ANSI, and I prefer the stepped caps lock myself.

Offline SNReloaded

As long as the split looks like this I will get behind it.

...5\6...
...T\Y...
...G\H...
...B\N...

All hail touch typing.
I touch type, but for me it looks like
...5\6...
...Y\F...
...I\D...
...X\B...
Since I use Dvorak.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #457 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 19:32:55 »
I am loving this keyboard as I have stated over on /r/mechanicalkeyboards. I am planning to do this as my first DIY keyboard with a custom 60% hardwood case. I have a keycap set from massdrop that I BELIEVE will  work for this build as well, with a nice light grey and dark grey color scheme.

Cheers on this keyboard, and love the name "Banana Split". I will be purchasing on Day 1 of the GB.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #458 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 19:36:40 »
I am loving this keyboard as I have stated over on /r/mechanicalkeyboards. I am planning to do this as my first DIY keyboard with a custom 60% hardwood case. I have a keycap set from massdrop that I BELIEVE will  work for this build as well, with a nice light grey and dark grey color scheme.

Cheers on this keyboard, and love the name "Banana Split". I will be purchasing on Day 1 of the GB.

:thumb:

Offline Haroxicos

« Reply #459 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 05:15:11 »
Totaly In for this perfect layout  :thumb:

Offline dstofu

« Reply #460 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:10:18 »
Another one here who just signed up to comment on this. Looks really good! Slightly hesitant with the lack of right shift/question mark, but will more than likely hop on the GB :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #461 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:17:19 »
Another one here who just signed up to comment on this. Looks really good! Slightly hesitant with the lack of right shift/question mark, but will more than likely hop on the GB :D

With the configuration tool, you could set right shift to /? if you don't use right shift (which is exactly what I plan to do)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #462 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:29:50 »

With the configuration tool, you could set right shift to /? if you don't use right shift (which is exactly what I plan to do)

If you don't use right shift you can set it to question mark. If you do use right shift, you can set it to quick press=question mark, press hold=shift.
keyboards.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:20:46 »

If you don't use right shift you can set it to question mark. If you do use right shift, you can set it to quick press=question mark, press hold=shift.

Exactly and that will be in the default layout, flashed on the pcb's.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #464 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:54:02 »

And correct me if I am wrong, is / under the function layer for \|, or how do you access that?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 18:10:28 »

I don't personally use ISO, but instead ANSI, and I prefer the stepped caps lock myself.

I have Control keys with centered stem to replace the Caps Lock key; but, I prefer the stepped one for my layout that features the 1.25 shift. It appears to me that they match better. You know, pure keyboard aficionado's crap.

Offline NyxNyxNyx

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 18:23:54 »
I'm very interested in this groupbuy. I always wanted a split spacebar just so I can hit enter with my left thumb. I don't really see the use for the Alt key between though?

Anyways, I hope this enters groupbuy phase soon, and I'll definitely take part in it  :thumb:

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #467 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 18:26:08 »
I'm very interested in this groupbuy. I always wanted a split spacebar just so I can hit enter with my left thumb. I don't really see the use for the Alt key between though?

Anyways, I hope this enters groupbuy phase soon, and I'll definitely take part in it  :thumb:
I have a *slightly* different plan, since all keys are reprogrammable, left space is going to be backspace, and center key is going to be the delete key.

Just personally what I will be doing, but enjoy whatever layout you choose!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #468 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:08:12 »

And correct me if I am wrong, is / under the function layer for \|, or how do you access that?

Oh I never thought about that, I personally use my left shift to get "?". Tapping it will yield "?" tapping with shift will get you "/" and holding it will result in a "shift".

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #469 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 20:36:19 »
I know that there are no more changes being made for this version, but when toying around with the layout of the keyboard I set up this layout included. It makes a little more sense based on finger strength (pointer is stronger than ring finger). It might be that I just need to get used to the standard L layout, and I know that EVERY configuration can't be included on a single pcb, but I thought it was an interesting idea in the very least.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #470 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:42:22 »
I know that there are no more changes being made for this version, but when toying around with the layout of the keyboard I set up this layout included. It makes a little more sense based on finger strength (pointer is stronger than ring finger). It might be that I just need to get used to the standard L layout, and I know that EVERY configuration can't be included on a single pcb, but I thought it was an interesting idea in the very least.

I already got suggestions for a split right shift, totally going to add it for future revisions :D.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #471 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:46:55 »

I already got suggestions for a split right shift, totally going to add it for future revisions :D.
Oh that would be AWESOME!

However, I was having a hard time figuring out what to do with all of these free key spaces available to me.

How exactly with the space available would the split right shift work?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #472 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:04:06 »

However, I was having a hard time figuring out what to do with all of these free key spaces available to me.

Not sure, just more added keys for people to program with :). I'll think of something for a base layer.

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #473 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 23:07:16 »

Not sure, just more added keys for people to program with :). I'll think of something for a base layer.
Okay cool. Personally what I suggested would work fine with me, and it still uses standard keycaps, so that is a plus

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #474 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:34:35 »

Isn't split right shift already supported? That's 1.75u shift + 1u Fn or in this case, arrow up.
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #475 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:37:00 »

Isn't split right shift already supported? That's 1.75u shift + 1u Fn or in this case, arrow up.
Woops, didn't check the image properly. Also don't know how to edit or delete on Tapatalk. Sorry!
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #476 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 09:30:16 »
Any status update? :)

Offline atomicus

« Reply #477 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 09:44:42 »
Very interested in this as ISO layout. 60% with arrows is excellent!  :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #478 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 11:36:34 »
Any status update? :)

Not yet, I'll touchbase with evan this week to see where we are.

Offline atomicus

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 12:45:59 »
I wasn't entirely clear, are keycaps going to be available as part of the GB? Are there any pics of the PCB yet or is that yet to be revealed? Loving the yellow idea, that should really make this a distinctive board, immediately recognisable which is great. :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #480 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 13:00:37 »
I wasn't entirely clear, are keycaps going to be available as part of the GB? Are there any pics of the PCB yet or is that yet to be revealed? Loving the yellow idea, that should really make this a distinctive board, immediately recognisable which is great. :)

No keycaps for this gb, just the plate and pcb. No pictures of the pcb yet, evan is still working on that :). I think he has the design fleshed out and he is currently working on getting a physical prototype.

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #481 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 14:48:59 »
I'm still stuck on cases. I'm not especially impressed with he standard aluminum low-profile 60% cases, and most of the group-buy cases look like spaceships or modern putters.

I actually think Vortex makes the best looking one around - it just happens to come with a keyboard already in it.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #482 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 15:47:33 »
I'm still stuck on cases. I'm not especially impressed with he standard aluminum low-profile 60% cases, and most of the group-buy cases look like spaceships or modern putters.

I actually think Vortex makes the best looking one around - it just happens to come with a keyboard already in it.

Mechmarket would be your best bet to find a vortex case.  :thumb:

Offline atomicus

« Reply #483 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 15:53:21 »
I came across Jelly Key cases... would these work? Not sure when these will be available or price however, no info on their site.

https://www.jellykey.com/artisan-keyboard-showroom

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #484 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 16:16:47 »
I came across Jelly Key cases... would these work? Not sure when these will be available or price however, no info on their site.

https://www.jellykey.com/artisan-keyboard-showroom

Any standard 60% case should work.

Offline atomicus

« Reply #485 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 21:51:41 »
Is there no DEL key? I guess there typically isn't on a 60% though.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #486 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 21:54:06 »
I mean the board is programmable you can place one if you so wish, with an hhkb layout it is standard to have the del key next to the 1u backspace.

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #487 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 12:24:36 »
Or I could buy a barebones from WASD for about what people tend to expect for an empty case... but thus goes the cycle.

I've actually got a Pok3r on the way, and I think it'll find a new home in that jellykey case coming out, which will vacate the Pok3r case to be re-painted or otherwise refinished. I have some ideas.

I'm just shocked that more reserved 60% case options don't exist. Seems like the standard flat Tex or something that looks like a holster for the XP20SS.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #488 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 12:50:54 »
Is there no DEL key? I guess there typically isn't on a 60% though.

Del key is not part of a sixty layout. It comes in the nine block in a TKL or larger keyboard. I use a spot under the Enter key to the right of the right shift in my sixty layouts.

Offline Str1pez

« Reply #489 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:08:16 »
I got my 78g Zealios for this build in.  Hurry upppppppppppp haha.  It's all good though, caps won't be in for a while.

This is the layout I'm gonna run on it.  Does everything check out?  I think it will work now based off finally getting into QMK and programming my Clueboard.  Excuse my poor color matching for GMK Plum as well.  Didn't know the color codes and didn't want to look it up lol.

Offline atomicus

« Reply #490 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 06:09:45 »
This may have been asked and answered, but will keycaps be hard to find for this, what with the double space bar?

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #491 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 06:14:03 »
The keycap set for the first group buy was cancelled, but I believe any 117 keycap set should be able to have the proper keys.

Offline atomicus

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 07:00:32 »
The keycap set for the first group buy was cancelled, but I believe any 117 keycap set should be able to have the proper keys.

It was just the double space bar I was more curious about. I'm no keyboard expert by any means, but I don't recall seeing many kits with caps that size.

Offline atomicus

« Reply #493 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 07:01:26 »
Actually I assume THIS would be correct...?

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #494 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 09:59:46 »
You need either 2.25u/1.25u/2.75u, so that would be missing a 1.25 key. As long as the keycap kit you purchase has a spare 1.25u key, though, you'll be fine.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 11:09:38 »
You need either 2.25u/1.25u/2.75u, so that would be missing a 1.25 key. As long as the keycap kit you purchase has a spare 1.25u key, though, you'll be fine.

And chances are if you use the arrow layout you get 4 1.25s at your disposal.

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #496 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 13:27:53 »
5 1U's right of the spacebar  ;D

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #497 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 14:20:25 »
5 1U's right of the spacebar  ;D

I meant like extra 1.25u's you would have by using the 1u's for the bottom row.

Edit: As in physical keycaps from most standard keycap sets.

Offline NotTheVacuum

« Reply #498 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 17:58:56 »
Of course - btw, no pressure, but my Zeal's are here and I'm dying to start this build  :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #499 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 19:48:28 »
Evan placed in the order for PCB prototypes I'll have some screenshots up of the pcb renders sometime this week :D. Thanks for being so patient, it's been a long road and I'm excited to kick things off soon.