Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 183150 times)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 a Universal Splitspacebar PCB w/ TheManBehindTheVan
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 23:54:13 »
We have a logo and name now. This is still a rough draft any suggestions on the artwork would be awesome.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Re: [IC] The Banana Split 60 a Universal Splitspacebar PCB w/ TheManBehindTheVan
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 16:31:23 »
New poll, vote for your favorite layouts. You can choose from more than one. If you have any questions please ask. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScc9vgoaEIAlAZjbQzKs6c3rEeKE2MkkyE-e9RZE8Z_nfwQkw/viewform
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 September 2016, 18:00:14 by Arhipio »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 17:13:41 »
just wanted to pop in here and say that I am indeed involved in this collaboration :D

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 20:05:31 »
Of course you are. Lol. Good. I still say this is the GH60 that has always needed to happen. Well done. Split space bars are super useful.

sent from my chess board

Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 20:26:26 »
Of course you are. Lol. Good. I still say this is the GH60 that has always needed to happen. Well done. Split space bars are super useful.

sent from my chess board
:D you know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Thank you everyone who showed interest and voted. For anyone that is interested here are the results (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScc9vgoaEIAlAZjbQzKs6c3rEeKE2MkkyE-e9RZE8Z_nfwQkw/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm) . Me and evan will primarily focus on the top three layouts. We have an idea for another layout that we will announce pretty soon.

Offline Vigrith

I tend to skip these ICs because I'm happy with the boards I currently have and I don't have the time to learn how to solder (having a friend build me my arrow MiniVan once that arrives) but... These look really cool. All three of the most voted options are something I'd be interested in, the split spacebar is something I'm yet to try!

Offline Nerdiary

• All my knitting is done in bash
However, if you want a dedicated right shift and aren't committed to an inverted-T arrow cluster, you could have a 1.75u right shift and an L-shaped arrow cluster like this.
(Attachment Link)

I also prefer this layout. I will probably make this work in firmware for the arrow cluster layout. Swap UP and 1U, so the 1u acts a R-Shift.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
As long as the split looks like this I will get behind it.

...5\6...
...T\Y...
...G\H...
...B\N...

All hail touch typing.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
Your resident evil genius is always up for prototyping. 😉

sent from my chess board

Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I came up with a new design for people who want to have an arrow key cluster but still maintain a pretty natural shift position. Tell me what you guys think, if you really like it I will include it to our top 3.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
I like this about as much as I like the original arrow key layout.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline Nerdiary

I came up with a new design for people who want to have an arrow key cluster but still maintain a pretty natural shift position. Tell me what you guys think, if you really like it I will include it to our top 3.
Show Image

This would be my preferred layout. I like that ? is 1u and my hand naturally drifts down to the arrow cluster. Might help with keyset compatibility.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
I'm in!

Offline watsyurdeal

A few things on this

1. Make sure the LEDs are top mount, not bottom mount, so if I want backlit keycaps ala Vortex, Ducky, Qingmei, Captors, etc I can use them. The LEDs won't shine through if they are below the switch.

2. Ensure compatibility with Easy AVR if you can, that would make life easier. I can figure out how to get mouse emulation working ala Ducky Mini through the TMK firmware, but Easy AVR makes it so streamlined it'd be nice to have it set that way.

3. When you can expect this to launch or a group buy begins let me know, you got a customer for sure.

Splitspacebar without arrow key cluster is my pick, I WANT IT
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:48:12 by watsyurdeal »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Thanks for all the support, updated post with layout I posted earlier yesterday. On top of this I wanted to release a new poll. Me and Evan teamed up with Jme the creator of DSA Borealis to bring you guys the option of a supported keycap set for the nonstandard bottom row and arrow key cluster. We have 3 sets for you guys to choose from. These are all in a rough draft so any suggestions would be appreciated. If the IC is successful these will be produced by SP. This will not hinder the PCB production, this will be an added option for people who want a dedicated set.

Poll link: https://docs.google.com/forms/u/0/d/1y1KEJ9mC_yi5VHBcZuWuGcYieIC4hPRpfXReBe6bmTU/edit

Offline SoftKeys

Just found this IC and I'm really liking this layout:

I don't use the right shift/win/Ctrl keys ever and always wanted to replace that section with an arrow cluster. A split spacebar would just be icing on the cake.
I love the name too! Give me a Banana Split with DSA Nanner and a Banana Snackey and I would love that board <3

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Just found this IC and I'm really liking this layout:
Show Image

I don't use the right shift/win/Ctrl keys ever and always wanted to replace that section with an arrow cluster. A split spacebar would just be icing on the cake.
I love the name too! Give me a Banana Split with DSA Nanner and a Banana Snackey and I would love that board <3

Ey my boy :D, thanks for the dragon key btw. I'm glad you like this layout.

Offline JDragon

DSA Roasted Banana! Looks so classy. Plus, tastes delicious. :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Very interesting to see this PCB to happen with six unit space bar support, if you reach a competitive price, it may give the GON Nerd60, GH60 and Face W a good competition, because those do not support split space bars.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
Very interesting to see this PCB to happen with six unit space bar support, if you reach a competitive price, it may give the GON Nerd60, GH60 and Face W a good competition, because those do not support split space bars.
I like the arrow layout. One thing I've found in my adventures in keyboard making is standard key cap sizes. Or rather designing boards that don't have them. The question I have is. Does this layout use standard easy to find key cap sizes?

I made the mistake of designing a cutting a plate for a board I was working on only to realize the split space bar keys would have to be custom created. Or I'll have to cut them out myself.

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I like the arrow layout. One thing I've found in my adventures in keyboard making is standard key cap sizes. Or rather designing boards that don't have them. The question I have is. Does this layout use standard easy to find key cap sizes?

I made the mistake of designing a cutting a plate for a board I was working on only to realize the split space bar keys would have to be custom created. Or I'll have to cut them out myself.

sent from my chess board

They are all standard, the spacebars are right shift (2.75u) the small shift is 1.75u and the rest is just standard 1u keys. Plus we are hoping of releasing a keyset with this pcb, which will allow for full coverage. This will be optional and won't delay production times on the PCB.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 October 2016, 20:33:38 by Arhipio »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Will this be TMK compatible?
All the components will be presoldered? It would be very cool to get a PCB switch and LEDs ready.
Pricing?
Colors? I hope to get a black one.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
All the components will be presoldered? It would be very cool to get a PCB switch and LEDs ready.
Pricing?

I'll talk to evan about it w/e software the minivan used so I'm assuming TMK, all smd components, diodes and resistors will be presoldered. The only thing you will have to do is solder in your own switches and switch leds. The board will probably have rgb underglow pre soldered to the board and as for PCB color we are looking at yellow to keep the banana theme. Not like you will see the pcb anyways :P. Pricing will be very reasonable I don't have an exact estimate but I will post this as soon as we know.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Pricing?

I'll talk to evan about it w/e software the minivan used so I'm assuming TMK, all smd components, diodes and resistors will be presoldered. The only thing you will have to do is solder in your own switches and switch leds. The board will probably have rgb underglow pre soldered to the board and as for PCB color we are looking at yellow to keep the banana theme. Not like you will see the pcb anyways :p . Pricing will be very reasonable I don't have an exact estimate but I will post this as soon as we know.

Sounds very cool! Looking forward for the GB phase. Please confirm the final layouts that will be implemented, as soon as you have those defined to avoid any confusion, what you have in the OP seems that you will make the most universal sixty PCB currently available.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Looks like DSA Roasted Banana won http://i.imgur.com/HDJgQ7I.jpg. More updates will be posted as we flesh out novelties and the overall design. Questions pertaining both to the PCB and the Keycap set can be posted here :D.

Results:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc87qaZ0ZU0wxmQLHL3Arpjsf8sxNLLRUVxkNaJYvkLmUiQdw/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
One final update for the day. Post has been updated with the winning keycap set, along with showing which layouts are Confirmed for the PCB. we have two final surprises for you guys: one more PCB layout and a nice little treat to go with your banana themed board. Thank you all for the support it truly means a lot <3.

P.S. Go help support my buddy Jme with his DSA Borealis set, the creator behind our banana set!

Geekhack link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83966.0

Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/55ps3u/dsa_borealis_is_coming_in_november_details_inside/

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
This would be my next build PCB if 6u makes it into the final design, thank you for getting this done.

Offline JDragon

One final update for the day. Post has been updated with the winning keycap set, along with showing which layouts are Confirmed for the PCB. we have two final surprises for you guys: one more PCB layout and a nice little treat to go with your banana themed board. Thank you all for the support it truly means a lot <3.

P.S. Go help support my buddy Jme with his DSA Borealis set, the creator behind our banana set!

Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/55ps3u/dsa_borealis_is_coming_in_november_details_inside/

One question about the Roasted Banana set - what colors will you guys be using and will it also be a full set? The reason I ask is because the color scheme of the set is fairly close to the black and gold Midas DSA set I've been working on in the interest check stage, and if you guys are going with NN for black and YG for the yellow, maybe we can combine ideas? I really like the board idea and am hoping you'll make the set a full set similar to Lightcycle DSA. :)

Midas DSA for reference: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84563.0

Either way I'll be sure to pick up this PCB and a Roasted Banana set.  :thumb:

Offline Nerdiary

Not like you will see the pcb anyways :P

It's often that what you can't see that has the most sex...errr...board appeal  :p

Offline Jmeferlater

One question about the Roasted Banana set - what colors will you guys be using and will it also be a full set? The reason I ask is because the color scheme of the set is fairly close to the black and gold Midas DSA set I've been working on in the interest check stage, and if you guys are going with NN for black and YG for the yellow, maybe we can combine ideas? I really like the board idea and am hoping you'll make the set a full set similar to Lightcycle DSA. :)

The colors for Roasted Banana are TAA for the dark brown, YY for the yellow legends, and YCC for the yellow alphas

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
Not like you will see the pcb anyways

It's often that what you can't see that has the most sex...errr...board appeal 
I did a clear acrylic plate for my minivan pcb.....just saying.

sent from my chess board
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius

Not like you will see the pcb anyways

It's often that what you can't see that has the most sex...errr...board appeal 
I didn't a clear acrylic plate for my minivan pcb.....just saying.

sent from my chess board

Did.

sent from my chess board

Projects

Offline Applet

Just want to say that I really like the idea of this :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Just want to say that I really like the idea of this :)

Thank you :D.

Offline waqar

+1 Love all arrow cluster design. I have switches and LEDs waiting for it.

Offline JDragon

The colors for Roasted Banana are TAA for the dark brown, YY for the yellow legends, and YCC for the yellow alphas

Ah ok.

For what it's worth, TAA looks more black than brown irl (at least from the color chips I bought from SP when designing my set):

Offline KHAANNN

My .02, as someone who used various arrowed 60%'s, here's my layout, after thinking-on and using many similar layouts:

149803-0

Crammed arrows in 60% layouts are like cancer, they are very prone to mis-clicks, so I ended up separating them like this, instead of filling the empty spaces, I just let them be empty = bliss
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Parva Ovis

I'm definitely interested in this PCB. Will it have any sort of special LED support?

Seeing this PCB got me thinking; it'd be cool to have a keyboard setup where one can have a split space bar but switch to a regular space bar without having to do a bunch of soldering and disassembly.

Maybe something like this:
More

Am I correct in thinking this would work? Could you install all three switches and simply swap out the stabilizers (and disable/enable the switches) to switch from a 6.25 space-bar to a split space-bar (or vis versa)?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I'm definitely interested in this PCB. Will it have any sort of special LED support?

Seeing this PCB got me thinking; it'd be cool to have a keyboard setup where one can have a split space bar but switch to a regular space bar without having to do a bunch of soldering and disassembly.

More
Show Image

Show Image

Am I correct in thinking this would work? Could you install all three switches and simply swap out the stabilizers (and disable/enable the switches) to switch from a 6.25 space-bar to a split space-bar (or vis versa)?

I was actually thinking about implementing a similar layout. Give us a week or two to get our current layouts sorted (see if we can fit them onto once pcb), if everything is good we will definitely look into this one.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
So to build off your suggestion I decided to play around with this layout. Although it won't work with the arrow key cluster. It lines up perfectly with the first two layouts. Which will make PCB stab mounts a whole hell of a lot easier to manage. Here's what I came up with.

Original splitspacebar

Redone version

Reference photos to show how it lines up with the existing 2.75u location.

Personally I really like it, to me the original splitspacebar design looked awkward without arrow keys, making the extra 1.25u look out of place. Now that lil guy has his own spot. Tell me what you guys think of this.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter

More
Show Image

Show Image

I was actually thinking about implementing a similar layout. Give us a week or two to get our current layouts sorted (see if we can fit them onto once pcb), if everything is good we will definitely look into this one.

It's great that this board can support so many layouts.  This particular layout is very similar to my layout.  One of the problems with my layout (IIRC) was that the right alt key would be directly above a mounting hole on a universal 60% case.  Have you analyzed your proposed layouts for case compatibility? 

Also, I really like the Roasted Banana colorway.  If you are entertaining the idea of including novelties, have you considered a banana logo, or perhaps a tropical fleur-de-lis (on the right),  for the OS key?
149817-0

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

More
Show Image

Show Image

It's great that this board can support so many layouts.  This particular layout is very similar to my layout.  One of the problems with my layout (IIRC) was that the right alt key would be directly above a mounting hole on a universal 60% case.  Have you analyzed your proposed layouts for case compatibility? 

Also, I really like the Roasted Banana colorway.  If you are entertaining the idea of including novelties, have you considered a banana logo, or perhaps a tropical fleur-de-lis (on the right),  for the OS key?
(Attachment Link)

Yeah we are going to work on some novelties, banana themed for sure. I like the tropical idea.

Offline KHAANNN

I'm guessing arrows aren't that big of a thing for this PCB/endeavor, however, since you entertained the idea of enlarging the /? - maybe consider this layout instead:

149819-0

More usable, in my opinion
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I'm guessing arrows aren't that big of a thing for this PCB/endeavor, however, since you entertained the idea of enlarging the /? - maybe consider this layout instead:

(Attachment Link)

The arrowkey layouts were actually our most popular. I think I will leave it as is for now, just because it'll be hard to find keys for that layout. Plus the goal was to have a splitspacebar 60% with a normal inverted t arrow key cluster.

Offline KHAANNN

(Attachment Link)

The arrowkey layouts were actually our most popular. I think I will leave it as is for now, just because it'll be hard to find keys for that layout. Plus the goal was to have a splitspacebar 60% with a normal inverted t arrow key cluster.

I definitely agree with the keycap challenge, however, since there is an accompanying keycap run, such a weird layout might have been possible :)

Apart from this, I really like the idea of running the pcb/keycap GB in parallel

Offline tomboy

Will there be a plate too, or just a pcb?

Offline _cramil

This would be great for those that are how shall we say, splitcurious  :))

More
Show Image

Show Image

Offline watsyurdeal

I don't think my question was ever answered so I'll be short about it here.

The LEDs, be sure they are mounted at the top of the switches so they'll shine through keycaps with backlight support.

For example

In the Satan GH 60, look where the holes are for the LED and Switch mounting, that's what I'm talking about, so my keyboard can look something like this.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Will there be a plate too, or just a pcb?

Atm we're only looking at making the pcb with a supported keycap set. It would be really hard to have so many supported plates.