geekhack Community > Off Topic

Women's clothing fitting

<< < (3/7) > >>

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 24 July 2022, 07:46:43 ---I seldom buy clothes online but I found a couple of great T-shirts on ebay from China. I am a big guy and usually buy 2XL but an XL can fit if it is a generous cut.

My orders were for a 2XL and a 3XL (the largest that they offered) but when they arrived they were way too small. I could manage to get them on, but they were both far tighter than is comfortable to me.
--- End quote ---
If I'm buying from the US I know to go down a size so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to go two or three bigger in Asian sizing as (without meaning any "racist" offence) they are generally smaller so it makes sense their clothing sizes are too.  Otherwise many of them would have to be like my adult sister who wears mostly age 14 clothes

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Sat, 23 July 2022, 21:28:27 ---Even women can't trust the measurements.
A size 4 from one manufacturer is a size 12 for another, even when they offer specific measurements they can be off quite a lot, and that's before you add in Chinese fake sizes.

--- End quote ---
I don't understand why womens clothes sizing uses exclusively even numbers, nor why the US scale starts at 0 and the UK's at 6 when everything else quite reasonably starts at 1 and I don't think I want to - hence asking about "fitting" rather than "sizing".

The only way your example works is if one is a UK 12 and the other a US 4 - drop 1 size same as men then shift 3?  Surely no-one is stupid enough to buy at a shop because they can fit in a size 4 when everywhere else they're a 12, they might get away with one size but definitely not four.

fohat.digs:
Possibly to assuage people's fear of corpulence? For in the example of those shirts in the US "2XL" may well *seem* smaller than "54-56" (inches around the chest) and/or "18" (inches around the neck).

But there is no incentive for sellers - they would rather that you buy something that doesn't fit - because then they get another go at your credit card.

noisyturtle:
All I know is every clothing I order from China is always 1-2 sizes too small, regardless of the stated size.
Used clothing is difficult too due to shrinkage unknown.

tp4tissue:
In china they don't use dryers, so generally cloths are cut smaller because they don't shrink when they sundry them, vs the way we put them in dryers.

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Sun, 24 July 2022, 21:51:15 ---In china they don't use dryers, so generally cloths are cut smaller because they don't shrink when they sundry them, vs the way we put them in dryers.
--- End quote ---
Interesting!  I avoid dryers (why pay for some something that will happen anyway?) so maybe I wouldn't need to size up :)

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Sun, 24 July 2022, 17:34:53 ---All I know is every clothing I order from China is always 1-2 sizes too small, regardless of the stated size.
--- End quote ---
Sounds about right.  Are you a natural or dryer dryer?

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 24 July 2022, 11:49:14 ---Possibly to assuage people's fear of corpulence? For in the example of those shirts in the US "2XL" may well *seem* smaller than "54-56" (inches around the chest) and/or "18" (inches around the neck).
--- End quote ---
I don't know, "extra" implies more and needing to add a number means multiple times more and you're still reaching to the back of the rack (or the bottom of the dropdown) so there's no escaping that your clothes are bigger than most even without putting a number on it.  Of course you may be big because you live in the gym or have giant genes but surely you know if you're "corpulent".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version