Author Topic: Paracord or other long keyboard cables  (Read 5616 times)

Offline sandywind

Paracord or other long keyboard cables
« on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 10:03:06 »
I'm looking for a longer (Length >= 1.7m) USB cable (A to Mini-B) for my Corsair K65.

I have watched videos on YT of keyboard reviews noticed some are using two cables joined by a large metal connector. Of the two, the cable connected to the keyboard is a spring coiled cable. Some sellers sell both cables (paracord) at a (for me) high price, ~70$. My question is, what is the advantage of such cables (paracord or not paracord, if both exist) and are there cheaper options for a long cable of decent quality?
Corsair Vengeance K65 w/ SP DCS Twilight Keycaps | Poker II w/ Danger Zone keycaps | HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87UW55 | IBM PC BS 80's | OLKB Planck | IC WhiteFox | Varmilo VA87ML

Offline Tactile

Re: Paracord or other long keyboard cables
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 12:08:56 »
You can easily find 2 meter cables of the type you want. The paracord cables you've seen offer no advantage other than looks and that fat connector allows detachment.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Katlicious

• Cable Artisan & Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 10:56:48 »
You can find a lot of cable creators that will do the cable you want for less than $70, no advantage just pur looks.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 12:12:59 »
It's pure looks, there's almost no sense in detaching a cable that's detachable at both ends already.
All you're doing is creating another point of failure and more stress on the cable due to weight and drag. It also has the potential to scratch your desk depending on what it's made of and how much you move things around.

I'd rather use a magnetic cable to de-stress the ports and cables, not increase the chance of problems. Like many others here I use Netdot (gen 10) magnetic cables, they look pretty good out of the box but you could dress them up if you wanted
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline sandywind

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 19:16:01 »
I like Netdot cables. However I will need an adapter for the mini USB (mini-B) on the K65, I couldn't find a native Netdot cable with a Mini-B connector.
Corsair Vengeance K65 w/ SP DCS Twilight Keycaps | Poker II w/ Danger Zone keycaps | HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87UW55 | IBM PC BS 80's | OLKB Planck | IC WhiteFox | Varmilo VA87ML

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 September 2021, 21:12:19 »
I like Netdot cables. However I will need an adapter for the mini USB (mini-B) on the K65, I couldn't find a native Netdot cable with a Mini-B connector.
You won't.
There's almost zero market for mini usb and these cables are intended for cell phone and tablet use. I scoured Ebay, Amazon and Aliexpress for them, they don't exist, at least when I looked. While possible someone has since, they use of mini has only fallen further off a cliff so I doubt it.

You can however get mini to micro adapters and probably mini to type-C adapters or do what I did, use a type-C extension and chop off the end and solder it in or make a mini to type c adapter. It may not be possible to make it flush but a small stub isn't bad when on the desk, I find it more of an issue when storing the board.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 01:29:17 »
It's pure looks, there's almost no sense in detaching a cable that's detachable at both ends already.
All you're doing is creating another point of failure and more stress on the cable due to weight and drag. It also has the potential to scratch your desk depending on what it's made of and how much you move things around.

I'd rather use a magnetic cable to de-stress the ports and cables, not increase the chance of problems. Like many others here I use Netdot (gen 10) magnetic cables, they look pretty good out of the box but you could dress them up if you wanted

Probably a dumb question, but I noticed the gen 10 just says "charging" while gen 12 specifies "data transfer," though it doesn't look like it'd fit in most keyboards with it's round magnet. But gen10 will work for keyboard "data transfer" without issue?
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 23:21:13 »
Probably a dumb question, but I noticed the gen 10 just says "charging" while gen 12 specifies "data transfer," though it doesn't look like it'd fit in most keyboards with it's round magnet. But gen10 will work for keyboard "data transfer" without issue?
Not a dumb question at all actually.
Not sure why they say what they do however it's a Chinese company so it could just be translations in marketing. Several of us use Gen 10 for keyboards including the one I'm currently typing on.

Netdot Gen 3(?) does USB 2.0 power on both sides but only has data on one side of the cable so you have to watch which side is up when you need data.
Netdot Gen 10 does USB 2.0 power AND data transfer on both sides of the cable. I use these exclusively now.
Netdot Gen 12 is does both on all "sides" as well as support for 9v fast charging but seems a bit more fragile and prone to braking due to overhang.
None have USB 3.0 speeds but we don't need that.

I would HIGHLY recommend sticking with the oval style, preferably dual sided, such as Gen 10, the reason is compatibility. As you saw, round may not fit your current or next keyboard and it certainly will not work well on tablets (ditch those failure prone lightening cables!) or wireless mice. They are FANTASTIC if you have a wireless mouse, end of the day just slide your mouse up and it sucks itself in, when you get started jut tug and you're off and running. This may sound over hyped, but seriously, best upgrade ever for a few bucks of you use wireless mice. Hint, strap the cable down, I tie mine around a monitor stand leg so it stays in a small area and acts like a dock.

You may not care about wireless mice (you caveman!) or tablet charging but I have some Netdot 3 I bought early on and a bunch of newer Netdot 10 and I have to keep them separated (or pack them away) as they aren't interchangeable so get something that will work with everything, not just what you need now or you may end up replacing them all later as I did with my 3s (I needed type C which 3 didn't support). Another bonus with all this, and one people don't realize at first is it reduces your cable clutter, your keyboard may need to be plugged in all the time but odds are you others that only need to charge intermittent. Instead of one cable for each connector you can now get away with just one. I cut the visible cords on my desk in half.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 05:11:45 »
Not a dumb question at all actually.
Not sure why they say what they do however it's a Chinese company so it could just be translations in marketing. Several of us use Gen 10 for keyboards including the one I'm currently typing on.

Netdot Gen 3(?) does USB 2.0 power on both sides but only has data on one side of the cable so you have to watch which side is up when you need data.
Netdot Gen 10 does USB 2.0 power AND data transfer on both sides of the cable. I use these exclusively now.
Netdot Gen 12 is does both on all "sides" as well as support for 9v fast charging but seems a bit more fragile and prone to braking due to overhang.
None have USB 3.0 speeds but we don't need that.

I would HIGHLY recommend sticking with the oval style, preferably dual sided, such as Gen 10, the reason is compatibility. As you saw, round may not fit your current or next keyboard and it certainly will not work well on tablets (ditch those failure prone lightening cables!) or wireless mice. They are FANTASTIC if you have a wireless mouse, end of the day just slide your mouse up and it sucks itself in, when you get started jut tug and you're off and running. This may sound over hyped, but seriously, best upgrade ever for a few bucks of you use wireless mice. Hint, strap the cable down, I tie mine around a monitor stand leg so it stays in a small area and acts like a dock.

You may not care about wireless mice (you caveman!) or tablet charging but I have some Netdot 3 I bought early on and a bunch of newer Netdot 10 and I have to keep them separated (or pack them away) as they aren't interchangeable so get something that will work with everything, not just what you need now or you may end up replacing them all later as I did with my 3s (I needed type C which 3 didn't support). Another bonus with all this, and one people don't realize at first is it reduces your cable clutter, your keyboard may need to be plugged in all the time but odds are you others that only need to charge intermittent. Instead of one cable for each connector you can now get away with just one. I cut the visible cords on my desk in half.

Awesome, thank you! I went ahead and ordered the gen 10's. Really only need 2 right now, so I may see if I can't steal the tip from the third and make my own cable with it, since none of the nice aesthetic ones I've seen yet offer a magnetic tip.
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 09:30:38 »

You may not care about wireless mice (you caveman!)

It has been a couple of years since I used a wireless mouse but I was never satisfied with any of the ones I tried. Going to sleep, needing attention after idle time, etc, were problematic.

I have a large desk and everything stays in place, so a little cable snaking across the top is not obtrusive to me.

Have wireless mice really grown up in recent years?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline F eq ma

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 10:32:52 »

I use the full size logitech M510 for years without any issues.   I never think about it.  It just works.   The tiny receiver fits inside by the battery when traveling.   Replaced my last one just because the rubber started to peel.  About $25.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 10:45:05 »
It has been a couple of years since I used a wireless mouse but I was never satisfied with any of the ones I tried. Going to sleep, needing attention after idle time, etc, were problematic.

I've used bunches and all of them were absolute garbage except Logitech who's had it pretty well dialed for years.
I keep trying others, cheap, expensive, doesn't matter they all never match up to even the cheap $15 models from Logitech and the only reason for it I can come up with is that none of them do any real testing, they buy the chip and assume it works. Also, do NOT use bluetooth unless it's for casual office type use, even from Logitech, and if you do make sure it's bluetooth low power or it will be even worse.

Get a decent Logitech, use the included receiver, place it close to the mouse (I have mine mounted under my desk just a foot ahead of it) and it will work great. Don't plug it into the back of an EMI blocking case 4 feet away and then wonder why reception stinks ("it said up to 40 feet!)", can't tell you how many customers I see do that, then they wonder why the mouse is always laggy.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More