Author Topic: Just ordered Kinesis Advantage  (Read 3514 times)

Offline rsantos97

Just ordered Kinesis Advantage
« on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 11:59:13 »
I just ordered a Kinesis Advantage in white form Buy.com, they have them for $230 brand new shipped. They are also selling them through ebay for the same price.

I plan on throwing on o-rings and doing some other mods to it. I also want to get some low profile heavy key caps.

I was planning on getting a TE but am still on the fence on that. I might also get a TypeMatrix because I like scissor switches and low keys, the only thing holding me back is the high actuation force required. I am also waiting on the ErgoDox to come back on massdrop to order a set.

Offline uzoc

Re: Just ordered Kinesis Advantage
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 12:06:29 »
Just checked. I guess they are out, cause they all show $270.
I love my TypeMatrix 2030 (not the 2020).

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 12:08:14 »
You wont regret this. I love my Kinesis Adv. Reduce my RSI pain.
USD230 is a very good price. Do you have the link for the buy.com? I cant seem to find it.
I had put on doubleshot Keycap and also rubber o-rings. The DS keycap I brought from Rick (Kinesis). O-rings from kaiserreich.
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 12:11:12 »
I think I found it. Here the link: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/the-advantage-usb-contoured-keyboard-sets-a-new-standard-for-ergonomic/230529108.html
Now I need a US proxy. Any kind soul would like to help me to purchase 1 and ship to Thailand?
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 12:12:22 »

They still have 4 on ebay, it's from buy.com for $232 free shipping.

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 12:15:24 »

How are the keypresses? Do you feel like you have to use a lot of pressure to actuate the keys?

Offline uzoc

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 12:20:16 »
Thanks, found it. I think I'll get the black later (but I'll buy white keys for it).

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 09:01:06 »
I think I found it. Here the link: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/the-advantage-usb-contoured-keyboard-sets-a-new-standard-for-ergonomic/230529108.html
Now I need a US proxy. Any kind soul would like to help me to purchase 1 and ship to Thailand?

I could be a proxy for you. Send me a PM if interested. I recently sent a package to Croatia for somebody on here that went smoothly, except for Croatian customs.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 21:05:54 »
Just an update.  I have been using this keyboard for about two weeks now and am really liking it.  It is easier to type on than any other keyboard I have tried even the MS 4000.  The keys are well placed and easy to reach.  I am learning to touch type correctly on this keyboard and it definitely makes it easier.  I tried using my Choc mini the other day and it was actually a bit painful.  Once you get used to having your hands apart it is hard to go back to a cramped keyboard.  I set mine up with a numpad on top of the keyboard, in between the two concaves and have it connected to the usb on the keyboard.  This works great because it gives me numbers and directional keys more easily than using the key layer.

I might buy another one so that I wouldn't have to take this one to work with me everyday.

I also put in an order for the ErgoDox just to test it out.

So if you are having wrist problems and are thinking about getting this keyboard, I say get it and you won't regret it. 

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 14:43:56 »
Yup, it's a great keyboard, welcome to the club!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline hoggy

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 15:34:08 »
Guess you got the bug! 

Hang on to those keyboards - time will come when you'll want a change for a day or so.  The more frequently you swap keyboards (once you've adapted first), the easier it will be to adapt to a new keyboard.

The cursor keys on the advantage are actually pretty good - but it took me a long time for it to click.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline sordna

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 15:50:27 »
If you use vi/vim, swap the up/down keys so they are down/up instead. Makes learning the kinesis arrows much easier, since vi users are used to index finger for down, middle finger for up.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 08:02:01 »
Here is the setup.

Offline rsantos97

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:23:28 »
Holy smokes! I just now noticed the left and right arrow keys on the left hand.  I have been using the up and down arrows on the right side since I got the keyboard and found it strange that there was no left/right arrow.  This is great.  I have been using ctrl + f and ctrl + b to move around in emacs.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 23:10:14 »
Holy smokes! I just now noticed the left and right arrow keys on the left hand.  I have been using the up and down arrows on the right side since I got the keyboard and found it strange that there was no left/right arrow.  This is great.  I have been using ctrl + f and ctrl + b to move around in emacs.

....Ahhhh....the learning curve.....

Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline vvp

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 14:35:07 »
If you use vi/vim, swap the up/down keys so they are down/up instead. Makes learning the kinesis arrows much easier, since vi users are used to index finger for down, middle finger for up.
+1
and swap CapsLock with Esc
... and you will be a very happy VI user with Kinesis Advantage :D