Author Topic: Double Planck setup  (Read 3944 times)

Offline xorian

• A nondescript lurker
Double Planck setup
« on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:40:18 »
I recently built a pair of OLKB Plancks and am using them both, one for each hand.  I designed my key layout with the intent of avoiding ulnar deviation (my one recurring RSI issue).  The layout was inspired in part by davkol's ambidextrous ErgoDox layout.  I've also moved modifiers and some other keys inward from the edges to shift away from ulnar deviation.  It's still a work in progress, but I'd be interested to hear people's feedback on it.

I've been using it pretty exclusively for a couple weeks now and the only real concern I have is the proximity of the left control for some key combinations I use as an Emacs user.  I left it in the lower corner just because I have close to 3 decades of Emacs-driven muscle memory.  It's never given me problems before, but now it's noticeably closer to keys I use together with it and I have larger hands which makes some combinations a little less comfortable than I'm used to.  I'm forcing myself to alternate hands for modifiers more though, and also experimenting with a 3-pedal foot switch that gives me any one of control/shift/alt at a time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 15:52:27 by xorian »

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
Re: Double Planck setup
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 03:54:37 »
I like the idea of this a lot. I have a logitech g13 and used it with my main keyboard to achieve a split setup. In the end I stopped using the setup because the layer modifiers I created in karabiner wouldn't work across two seperate keyboards.

How does the layer modification work across two seperate plancks?

Offline superbia

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 08:53:44 »
Why dont you just ignore the extra keys, and emulate a normal keyboard, with accessible modifiers.
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline xorian

• A nondescript lurker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 11:52:34 »
How does the layer modification work across two seperate plancks?

Unfortunately they don't, which is definitely a drawback.  They number/navigation/symbol layer keys only affect the side that I press them on.

Offline xorian

• A nondescript lurker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 11:59:12 »
Why dont you just ignore the extra keys, and emulate a normal keyboard, with accessible modifiers.

I do mostly ignore the inner keys, which is why I put infrequently used ones there.  Moving the modifiers towards the middle and letters towards the edges was intentional though.  My primary RSI issue is ulnar deviation, particularly on my right hand.  I believe it's caused by some combination of the navigation cluster (far to the right), lots of symbols used in programming on the right edge of the keyboard, and frequently used keys on the right hand side (return, backspace, shift, control).  So I'm trying to avoid all of those by making symbols, navigation, and numbers ambidextrous and moving other keys towards the middle.  Whether this will lead to radial deviation issues in the future is an open question.   ;)

Offline superbia

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 11:20:41 »

I do mostly ignore the inner keys, which is why I put infrequently used ones there.  Moving the modifiers towards the middle and letters towards the edges was intentional though.  My primary RSI issue is ulnar deviation, particularly on my right hand.  I believe it's caused by some combination of the navigation cluster (far to the right), lots of symbols used in programming on the right edge of the keyboard, and frequently used keys on the right hand side (return, backspace, shift, control).  So I'm trying to avoid all of those by making symbols, navigation, and numbers ambidextrous and moving other keys towards the middle.  Whether this will lead to radial deviation issues in the future is an open question.   ;)

Quite an interesting approach... But for the layout I suggest you try colemak-dh
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH