Author Topic: Anti-Otaku Part II, Double Shot Das Dos (aka II)  (Read 15557 times)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
Anti-Otaku Part II, Double Shot Das Dos (aka II)
« on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 23:06:34 »
In my hunt for double shot keycaps, I've found out a few things with regards to Cherry vs. Filco.   I learned that I love double shot keys, Blue Cherry switches and that I really like Brown Cherry switches and that I really don't like MY switches and Black Cherry switches.    So now I have a bunch of Cherry DS keycaps......where do I put them?  

Enter the Das Keyboard II.  Actually a Cherry PCB board with Blue switches and blank black keycaps.   Designed in Austin Texas and made in the Czech Republic.  

Article No:  G80-3485LWNUS -2/00

Serial No:   DASK2 C   00857   S05

Modell MX 3000 USB ON

So I think this keyboard is basically a Cherry G80-3000 board with Blue Cherry switches.   Even though it's easy to find boards with Brown or White or the MY switch, it seems  a little more difficult to find boards with the Blue switch.

Why did I want this particular board?   First of all, since it's a Cherry board, the keyswap is simple.  The offset CapsLock was especially interesting.   And I didn't have a full keyboard Cherry Blue.    And almost no Geekhacker wants anything to do with a Das board  ;-))

I picked up the board today (THANKS SALCAN) and a few minutes of key swapping and here is the end result.  Case and keycaps look and feel as if they were made from the same material.   And the semi-gloss textured finish has a nice look.  

And my new FAVE spacebar switch, the Cherry Green!!    According to the Cherry Wiki, this is a 65cN clicky switch.  All I know is it feels great.   I'll have to throw one of these into one of my Filco Tenkeyless boards.  

Anyone else out there have this board??   It feels very different to me compared to the Filco.   First of all, this board is very light.   Pushing on the keys with some pressure actually deforms the entire keyboard.   Much less rigid than the Filco Tenkeyless and I'm sure the newer Das S which is plate mounted similar to the Filco.    But it's comfortable to type on.....nothing too different than any of my other Cherry boards.    I actually wonder if having the MOST rigid board is really what we want??  

In any event, I'm very happy with this board.   When the new Das S arrives, I'll post pics here too.  Should be just as easy as the Filco to swap in some DoubleShots.  

skc

Offline salcan

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 23:45:01 »
Looks fantastic! Awesome job. That keyset is a perfect fit.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 04:10:46 »
Ukato-tastic!

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 04:34:43 »
Quote from: Rajagra;171554
Ukato-tastic!

*facepalm*
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline kriminal

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 06:18:21 »
haahah
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 09:33:25 »
Double shot dat Das  ;-))  The font on the Cherry DS keys is my favorite.  Crystal clear and brighter than bright.   I've got bags of Filco and Das keys now.   Cool sandblast correction for shiny keys.  I tried that, but you still lose the texture that's there on new keys.  

I use one of these in each of my ops at work:

MicroCab

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 10:16:05 »
Harbor Freight has the beads I like to use - the 80 grit glass bead blast media.  I've never tried aluminum oxide, it might embed in the keys?

The soda blast media might work well too, never used it but have seen it done to soft alloys and the result was very uniform.

Harbor Freight blast media

SK, I can see someone leaving your office after a mixup with key caps on their teeth.  :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2010, 10:18:54 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 10:18:09 »
Quote from: ripster;171585
So did you try glass or plastic beads??  I'm still curious whether there is some sandblast media that could restore a bit more texture greater than this Filco sheen.

I just have 25 and 50 micron aluminum oxide powder.   It just leaves a satiny finish.  I don't really like it.....

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 10:19:30 »
I've never personally used aluminum oxide but I've heard it's really really abrasive.

EDIT - your aluminum oxide powder is much finer than the stuff I was looking at, maybe it's the coarseness that's the difference.  I was looking at some really coarse alum oxide and I think it was made for removing really heavy rust and corrosion from metal.  You have fine powder so that is probably much different.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2010, 10:22:00 by didjamatic »

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 10:24:31 »
I'll do a before/after later on a shiny double shot and post pics later.   I also have lots of various acrylic polishing tools.   I was actually thinking of polishing a set of keys so that they're all glass like smooth and shiny.   Wonder how that will look??

Offline didjamatic

Re: Anti-Otaku Part II, Double Shot Das Dos (aka II)
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 10:34:11 »
Just type on a filco, that will shine it up in no time :)

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 11:00:47 »
Quote from: ripster;171580
It's like the Metadot marketing person picked some fonts randomly out of her "Word" program.

That's probably how things work in the wonderful world of hardware biz.

Diatec: Hey man, we designed a fancy new case. Want some?
Metadot: Cool, we'll take 2000.
Diatec: Want that funny french name on the case again?
Metadot: Sure.
Diatec: What font?
Metadot: Wait a sec... [opens Word]
Typing on blues.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 03:48:47 »
I sometimes use a nice ruby aggregate in the blaster at work and I can get some wicked texure with it. Also didn't hurt that I was running 80psi too =P
I love it though, I need to dig up those darn keys I did with it, but I loved the texture. The problem is the more coarse the aggregate the easier and quicker you eat though the key =(   so, hop around, move quick like a bunny!

I dig this thread too, I am a fan of the Daskeyboard II (G80-3000). Baah, who am I kiding I pretty much love all my keyboards at this point now ;)
variety is the... something-something ... that drains my wallet.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 10:25:56 »
Quote from: clickclack;180621
I sometimes use a nice ruby aggregate in the blaster at work and I can get some wicked texure with it. Also didn't hurt that I was running 80psi too =P
I love it though, I need to dig up those darn keys I did with it, but I loved the texture. The problem is the more coarse the aggregate the easier and quicker you eat though the key =(   so, hop around, move quick like a bunny!

I dig this thread too, I am a fan of the Daskeyboard II (G80-3000). Baah, who am I kiding I pretty much love all my keyboards at this point now ;)
variety is the... something-something ... that drains my wallet.

It's a nice board.   And I wanted to feel the difference btwn plate mount and pcb mount.   I also have the newer Das S, but that has some very specific keys that won't allow a full double shot swap, but that's okay since the keys are much nicer than the standard Filco keys.   And I think it's a better board.  Nicer lasered keys, USB hub, spiffy shiny case and "less" money.  Well.....at least through Sidewindercomputers.com

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 May 2010, 18:23:28 »
Well, rubys are made of aluminum oxide, same as sapphires iirc...

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 10:23:45 »
Here's a review of my board......I think, back in 2006.  

Das Keyboard II Review