Author Topic: Writs Rest I built  (Read 5214 times)

Offline typo

Writs Rest I built
« on: Sun, 30 July 2017, 23:30:25 »
I did not want a slanted wood rest. I only wanted it to be 2.5" wide. Since it is so narrow, I wanted it to have rounded sides so it does not dig into me. I wanted it to be 1/4" taller than what is usually found. I wanted a certain exotic wood. This does not exist AFAIK so I built it. Of course I do not rest my wrists while typing so the small size is fine. I find it very comfortable. I used the CNC router. There were over 40 steps in making this including 6 coats of bowling alley wax/Lemon oil mixture. Than synthetic wax top coat. Under all that is Lucite base.

Offline typo

Re: Writs Rest I built
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 07:16:23 »
ShopBot PRSAlpha. A lot of hand finishing too. It is smoother than wet glass. I purposefully made it tall so I am not tempted to rest my wrists while I am typing. I wish I could think of something for my mouse. Mouse rests kill me but the bare mouse rug gets me cramped after hours but better than rests I've tried. Of course a mouse is different. Holding it with your hand off the table is going to lead to even more problems. Any soultions would be appreciated. I could make or buy. The mouse rug is just a thin layer so it is my best option so far. It is much better rubber than cheap pads.

Edit: I just cannot use the trackballs. Not fast enough. I hate acceleration. Must be something comfortable for a mouse.                                                                                                           

Here is a pic of the rest with my favorite keyboard.

« Last Edit: Mon, 31 July 2017, 07:29:46 by typo »

Offline drogoFortuna

• iheartguys
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 August 2017, 12:02:25 »
Does that mouse rug drag and feel heavy or is it smooth?

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 00:10:45 »
OMG I love it. I get what I like and not what other people do. Like my modified deck keyboards I am so enamored with. It is strange because the top is silky smooth but just under that is a harder fabric. Well, I guess it is just the "hand" of the fabric. It does not drag at all. As you see, G502 and I can blow it off the mousepad with compressed air from a foot away. So to answer your question I would say it does not drag. It is probably not for gaming at least due to size. It is not slick like a plastic pad but probably the best cloth pad I ever had out of many. Overall if you take care of it it is a extremely high quality product. That pad and the keyboard in the picture are about 23 years old. Do you see any where? 'Nuff said. On the other hand if you are gaming, nonetheless I will say it is probably not fast enough to suit you. It is not slick like a StelSeries cloth pad or whatever. It is kind of a brushed finish. It offers no resistance for my purposes but if you are gaming I would say pass on it. Just being honest.

I just realized I made a typo in the subject line of this thread. Hence my name. I am well known in the coding community and that is my real nickname with other programmers. It has been said I am very talented and in demand but I ruin a ton of code lines with typo's. I do not make coding mistakes with parameters, verbiage Etc.  just mistyped entries. This was long before I got sick. Knowing that they still love to hire me.

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 12:22:28 »
Figures After all this time I just stumbled upon something similar.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 06:36:47 »
I finally found a Mouse wrist rest that I like, The least pain. The Allsop Confortbeads. Oddly, to me better than the Imak which I had previously tried. So I am all set up for now. I am quite pleased with my rest compared to what is usually available, save for perhaps what is above.

Another thing, to me everything moves. The Keyboard and it's wrist rest are bonded to the desk with contact cement. I do not know how everyone does not have these two items moving all over their desk. The Allsop on the Mouserug does not move since it is fuzzy fabric against fuzzy fabric. Well, not fuzzy but a micro finish.  Oh silver leaf oak is hard to find and hopefully exclusive as well. I see nothing with it.

Sorry to hijack my own thread :)