Author Topic: URSA keycaps profile for Topre keyboards  (Read 9761 times)

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
URSA keycaps profile for Topre keyboards
« on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 11:04:35 »

It’s been a long time coming but Topre keyboard users are finally getting what they deserve: nice keycaps! This new profile, designed by the talented 23_Andreas, is a spherical sculpted keycaps profile for Topre keyboards. You heard that right, no need to mod switches, or mount weird adapters that may ruin your keyboard experience, URSA keycaps are injected with Topre-compatible stems. And the best part is they are double shot PBT, basically the best option out there to get crisp, perfectly aligned legends and vivid colors.

While we are figuring out the details, you may subscribe on our website to be notified when news come out. We’ll be having a survey very soon, to present the first colorway and make sure we know what colors/layouts you want or need!

Specs

- Topre stems (of course)
- Doubleshot PBT (the crème de la crème)
- Compatible with HHKB, Realforce and Leopold keyboards (no ISO/JIS *for now*)
- Fine legends, by an experienced designer (name reveal in a few weeks, so again, [subscribe](https://fkcaps.com/subscriptions/ursa) to be notified)
- Will ship at least from US and Europe
- 2 kits (note: legends have not been designed yet, but you may click the links below to check the kits’ content):
    - Base kit: supports HHKB and FC660C
    - Extension kit: adds support for RF 87U, RF TKL, RF 84U, RF 86U, RF 104U, FC980C, Topre Type Heaven
- Price: TBA (but we promise it won’t be so crazy!)

Prototypes

More information, renders and design concepts on URSA page on the FK website.

Offline PlayBox

Re: URSA keycaps profile for Topre keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 16:42:48 »
doesn't abs have better legends and colors than pbt? it sounds like marketing bs to me
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 March 2023, 01:34:19 »
doesn't abs have better legends and colors than pbt? it sounds like marketing bs to me

I am not sure I am following how the legends/colors would be better in ABS?

what I meant is that PBT is a more sturdy material that won't shine, so imho a better option

sorry if you were offended and considered this way of putting it "marketing bs". most people don't actually understand ABS/PBT difference, nor the pros and cons of different print methods so that was definitely a shortcut but also a statement I do believe in, and a way to highlight how having doubleshot keycaps is better than dye sub (that is the current -and only- OEM option).

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 10:33:14 »
This definitely has my attention.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 16:01:06 »
I am not sure I am following how the legends/colors would be better in ABS?
what I meant is that PBT is a more sturdy material that won't shine, so imho a better option
sorry if you were offended and considered this way of putting it "marketing bs". most people don't actually understand ABS/PBT difference, nor the pros and cons of different print methods so that was definitely a shortcut but also a statement I do believe in, and a way to highlight how having doubleshot keycaps is better than dye sub (that is the current -and only- OEM option).
well if you looked at gmk keycaps you would see how much better the quality is than an pbt keycap set. also if you don't know pbt also shines but it takes  longer but it also depends hugely on the quality. also many people like the shine that. well obviously doubleshot is better than dye sub
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Online mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 October 2023, 09:42:14 »
Perhaps I'm a little too excited to see this happen but are there any updates?  :-X
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D