Author Topic: PBT ISO caps  (Read 4279 times)

Offline quimsan

PBT ISO caps
« on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 12:17:02 »
Hi

I'm looking for PBT ISO caps that'll fit my Filco MJ2 TKL board. PBT ISO (OEM profile) layouts seems hard to come by with legends etc., so I've decided to go with some blank caps.
There's a group buy running currently on Massdrop but that for ANSI boards, which leads to the question - Is it worth getting a ANSI set just cause? I can imagine getting a single ISO enter key is going to be pure hell.

I've already contacted Teraset and Jimms.fi and I've been told they 'are waiting on an answer from their production manager", other companies won't even respond.
Signature Plastic wants 500$ per set for blanks.

I need help.

Regards
Jimmy

Offline seville57

Re: PBT ISO caps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 13:11:32 »
Hi

I'm looking for PBT ISO caps that'll fit my Filco MJ2 TKL board. PBT ISO (OEM profile) layouts seems hard to come by with legends etc., so I've decided to go with some blank caps.
There's a group buy running currently on Massdrop but that for ANSI boards, which leads to the question - Is it worth getting a ANSI set just cause? I can imagine getting a single ISO enter key is going to be pure hell.

I've already contacted Teraset and Jimms.fi and I've been told they 'are waiting on an answer from their production manager", other companies won't even respond.

I need help.

Regards
Jimmy
Hi

You need to replace the ANSI Left Shift too if you want to use a ANSI keycaps set on your ISO k-board.

I also had the same problem, lots of good lookin ANSI keycaps sets but a ISO k-board.

I bought a ANSI fullsize k-board (have 5 now) last year and problem solved.

Do you mean the Ducky Grey/Blue PBT keycaps set on Massdrop?

I have that ISO/Nordic laser engraved set on a ISO/English Ducky Shine 3 k-board.

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 13:26:50 by seville57 »

Offline quimsan

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:33:06 »
Hi

I need help.

Regards
Jimmy
Hi

You need to replace the ANSI Left Shift too if you want to use a ANSI keycaps set on your ISO k-board.

I also had the same problem, lots of good lookin ANSI keycaps sets but a ISO k-board.

I bought a ANSI fullsize k-board (have 5 now) last year and problem solved.

Do you mean the Ducky Grey/Blue PBT keycaps set on Massdrop?

I have that ISO/Nordic laser engraved set on a ISO/English Ducky Shine 3 k-board.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hey

I totally forgot about the LShift.

Yes that's the drop but I don't feel like buying 5 sets just to complete 1.
I should've mentioned this when I made this thread, but I'm planning on combining two colors so getting ANSI sets are going to be super expensive.

Thanks for the response.

Regards
Jimmy

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 14:41:54 »
i had a ducky set some while ago from a local supplier here in sweden, but now when i watch the site. It looks like they stopped selling the pbt sets in time with the ducky 4 release, there are some premiers still with dyesubs iso. Hard work to get iso sets, i gave up a long time ago :D

Offline quimsan

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 15:25:19 »
i had a ducky set some while ago from a local supplier here in sweden, but now when i watch the site. It looks like they stopped selling the pbt sets in time with the ducky 4 release, there are some premiers still with dyesubs iso. Hard work to get iso sets, i gave up a long time ago :D

They are indeed not available anymore. I'm not ready to give up just yet:)

Regards
Jimmy

Offline seville57

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 15:43:09 »

They are indeed not available anymore. I'm not ready to give up just yet:)

Regards
Jimmy

I bought my set on Inet last year.

The ANSI Grey/Blue blank set are gettin back in stock here: http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=865

You can always send a mail to Inet and ask if the ISO Grey/Blue set are gettin back in stock here in Sweden.

I also have this Ducky set, the 2 "BEER BREAK" caps don't belong to the yellow set. Bought the set on Inet last year.

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:54:02 by seville57 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:17:16 »
I have got a blank Leopold ANSI set on my Ducky TKL.
It is in Cherry profile and in thick PBT, which could be hard to fit on the stabilisers of some early-generation Filcos. The colour is also a very dark blue, which is hard to match.

Because it is a full-size set with number pad, and comes with an additional 1.25 key (really intended for the printed versions of this set that supports both Fn and Menu on the right), it means that the only key not included for an ISO TKL is the Enter key.

I use an original Cherry PBT lasered Enter key that I had dyed with Royal Blue RIT fabric dye.
The RIT dye did not take at first, but I experimented by adding some vinegar and then it worked.
The bad part is that the lasered legend shows.

I am looking forward to when someone starts a group buy of blank Gateron ISO Enter keys. I have only heard rumours about it so far ...
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:24:08 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline seville57

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:05:57 »
Hi

I need help.

Regards
Jimmy

Don't know if this can be something for you, not blanks and not ISO/Nordic PBT caps but ISO/English PBT caps from UK.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74633.0

Offline DesignerNeil

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 20:46:45 »
Don't know if these are exactly what your after, but I just bought a set of vortex keycaps from Corus Keyboards amazon shop.... they were only £35 and should arrive Saturday.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013KOUOTO?keywords=corus%20keyboards&qid=1440121551&ref_=sr_1_25&sr=8-25

http://corus-kb.com/gb/keycaps/67-vortex-pbt-keycaps-full-set-104105.html
"The problem with quotes in forum signatures is that you never really know if they are genuine" Bertrand Russell

Offline Flyke

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 04:13:55 »
I would love to hear your experience with the Vortex PBT keycaps.
I've been looking at them lately and wondered if I should get the side printet ISO Nordic - haven't gone for it yet as the price is quite high and it wasn't what I originally had my hopes for.

If I wasn't up to four TKL ISO boards by now I would seriously consider going ANSI ( using Danish/Nordic layout ). One of the reasons would be availability of keycaps.

I did catch the "warning" when I registered and started reading in here while looking for my first Mechanical Keyboard .. it's become an obsession .. :-)

Offline DesignerNeil

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 04:51:06 »
I would love to hear your experience with the Vortex PBT keycaps.
I've been looking at them lately and wondered if I should get the side printet ISO Nordic - haven't gone for it yet as the price is quite high and it wasn't what I originally had my hopes for.

If I wasn't up to four TKL ISO boards by now I would seriously consider going ANSI ( using Danish/Nordic layout ). One of the reasons would be availability of keycaps.

I did catch the "warning" when I registered and started reading in here while looking for my first Mechanical Keyboard .. it's become an obsession .. :-)

I went for the side printed...will report back with pics when the new caps arrive. 
"The problem with quotes in forum signatures is that you never really know if they are genuine" Bertrand Russell

Offline Flyke

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 07:54:57 »
Thanks!

Offline quimsan

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:17:57 »
As of right now I'm not willing to switch to an ANSI-board, it's not going to happen.
I just wish blank red and/or black PBT ISO keys weren't this hard to find... *shakes fist*

Offline Flyke

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 01:55:27 »
Corus has a set of blank pbt iso keys.
I believe they are the same colour as the side printed keycaps that DesignerNeil ordered ( not quite black ).
For pictures see the thread by DesignerNeil https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74736.0

Offline quimsan

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 06:58:46 »
Corus has a set of blank pbt iso keys.
I believe they are the same colour as the side printed keycaps that DesignerNeil ordered ( not quite black ).
For pictures see the thread by DesignerNeil https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74736.0

Thank you for the reference thread, the caps looks great. According to Corus's Amazon page the blank set is laser etched, which is not something that I prefer.

Regards
Jimmy

Offline Flyke

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 08:14:37 »
The blank set should be without symbols if I am not mistaken ( and hence no laser etching ) ?

Offline quimsan

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 09:14:38 »
The blank set should be without symbols if I am not mistaken ( and hence no laser etching ) ?

That's what I thought, so I sent them an e-mail asking about it.

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vortex-Black-Laser-etched-Keyset/dp/B013KPDJNQ/ref=sr_1_16?m=A2OBYCPECCAAML&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1440598330&sr=1-16

Regards,
Jimmy