Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nautilus Nightmares - GROUP BUY IS LIVE AT DROP!  (Read 94947 times)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus Nightmares
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 13:42:43 »
I guess there's an R1 delete key in the base set, but I agree that it would be nice for the 40s kit to have a R1 Backspace to support 5-row ortho boards like the Preonic, Nyquist, Iris, etc.

For the caps, worst case there's a R3 Code key in the base set, but that would also be nice to have in order to make this a fully compatible ortho kit too. I think those two keys are all that's missing to support those larger ortho boards. I guess those aren't 40s really but it could be a 40s/split/ortho kit!

Not a fan of R1 Backspace for the Preonic, it kind of goes against the idea of not moving your hands out of the homerow.

I will think about the R3 Caps lock.

I'd like to see dark gray highlight keys in the 40s kit (similar to Jamón). I think you hinted that you would do this anyway.

I'm also a fan of the larger spacebar kit that you currently have on the Nautilus Nightmares page, but I'm not overly attached to that and I could definitely believe that the price would be a good reason to shrink it for a majority of people. Would be nice to leave a blank R4 1.25 somewhere in either the 40s kit or the spacebars kit.

Other than that though, no complaints. I think you absolutely nailed the kits with Jamón. The flexibility and coverage is simply incredible and it sounds like the pricing will be too!

But the real question is: where is the Nautilus Nightmares matching Percebe? :p

40s will be made more or less like Jamón, I have to think about it: is it really worth it to add all those keys or should we go a little bit cheaper? Right now we get two groups of people with just that kit since it has all the split spacebars and the second B, so maybe I should consider making it smaller. It will depend on how well the kit does with Jamón.

Regarding Percebe, preparing for Jamón, Verne, MT3 Serika, and my daily dose of procrastination postponed Percebe maybe a month or two, but we are back on track with that project. You should have news about it sooner or later. There's no rush for a Nautilus Nightmares edition of that board since this set won't drop until Q4 of this year.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 14:37:41 »
I'm generally in favor of accessibility and function over form. Yes, having lots of accent options as a 40s user would be nice, but if it pushes up the price too high I'd rather leave them out of the kit -- they should be considered nonessential, and IMO you should ignore pressure to keep them in the kit if the price starts to get high.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #152 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 14:45:00 »
I'm generally in favor of accessibility and function over form. Yes, having lots of accent options as a 40s user would be nice, but if it pushes up the price too high I'd rather leave them out of the kit -- they should be considered nonessential, and IMO you should ignore pressure to keep them in the kit if the price starts to get high.

That's what I usually do.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 15:36:05 »
Is it too late or is there not enough support to ask for slightly darker mods? I do like a bit of contrast in my keysets.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 15:50:44 »
Is it too late or is there not enough support to ask for slightly darker mods? I do like a bit of contrast in my keysets.

I like not having a huge contrast between alphas and mods

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 16:18:02 »
I see, personal preference I guess.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 18:22:41 »
q4 cant get here soon enough

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 18:36:14 »
q4 cant get here soon enough

don't complain in Q3 that I didn't say that the set was coming.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 18:56:22 »
Going for the rgb hat trick (jamon/nautilus nightmares/samurai blue). Not to mention greens one of my favorite colors.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 19:06:18 »
Going for the rgb hat trick (jamon/nautilus nightmares/samurai blue). Not to mention greens one of my favorite colors.

I like how you think.

Offline parislyons

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 20:50:33 »

Not a fan of R1 Backspace for the Preonic, it kind of goes against the idea of not moving your hands out of the homerow.

As someone who exclusively uses the XD75 and is planning to get a BFO-9000 I would definitely want the R1 backspace in the 40s kit. This set offers some of the best ortho compatibility I've seen so I would be pretty disappointed if I had to use two 1u Delete keys like I am currently with GMK Monochrome. 1u Caps would definitely be appreciated though.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 21:04:00 »

As someone who exclusively uses the XD75 and is planning to get a BFO-9000 I would definitely want the R1 backspace in the 40s kit. This set offers some of the best ortho compatibility I've seen so I would be pretty disappointed if I had to use two 1u Delete keys like I am currently with GMK Monochrome. 1u Caps would definitely be appreciated though.
Seconding the 1u r1 backspace!

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 07:40:12 »
40s will be made more or less like Jamón, I have to think about it: is it really worth it to add all those keys or should we go a little bit cheaper? Right now we get two groups of people with just that kit since it has all the split spacebars and the second B, so maybe I should consider making it smaller. It will depend on how well the kit does with Jamón.

Regarding Percebe, preparing for Jamón, Verne, MT3 Serika, and my daily dose of procrastination postponed Percebe maybe a month or two, but we are back on track with that project. You should have news about it sooner or later. There's no rush for a Nautilus Nightmares edition of that board since this set won't drop until Q4 of this year.

Wait did I miss something, what's this about MT3 Serika?! Just when I'd decided I wouldn't buy any more non-GMK sets...

On the topic of Nautilus Nightmares, I think that Jamón nailed the 40s kit so I'd be pretty happy to see the same kit for Nightmares. I could be on board with a smaller kit though, depending on how much of a price reduction we get. Also, I'm really hoping that we see the accent Esc and Enter survive in the core kit for Nightmares. I'm not a big novelty person but I love accent Esc and Enter. It's really hard to justify the full cost of the Jamonelties kit just for those two keys.

Offline comdata55

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 07:49:40 »
I agree, i really love your sets and I think you're doing a killer job but i think the accent ESC and Enter keys should be included in the base kit, possibly even the accent arrow keys. They're usually always included in the original renders and in my mind are the complete colorway, that's a testament to your color choices and ability to pick great color combinations. when they show up in the novelties when it's time for the GB it almost feels like a bait and switch.

There are so many custom boards now that I almost feel like non-standard sized keys that pertain to specific boards should be put into a "Specialty Sizes" kit. This would keep costs down for the majority of users and provide you space in the base kit to include non-novelty accent keys that complete the colorway.

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 11:11:57 »

Wait did I miss something, what's this about MT3 Serika?! Just when I'd decided I wouldn't buy any more non-GMK sets...

Yeah I did a double-take too and hunted around for more information but I haven't found any other references to it. I would love MT3 Serika, and probably replace my GMK set with it.

Man, if Nightmares is going to be running in Q4 2019 it won't be coming until like summer 2020. Oof.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 11:13:11 »

On the topic of Nautilus Nightmares, I think that Jamón nailed the 40s kit so I'd be pretty happy to see the same kit for Nightmares. I could be on board with a smaller kit though, depending on how much of a price reduction we get. Also, I'm really hoping that we see the accent Esc and Enter survive in the core kit for Nightmares. I'm not a big novelty person but I love accent Esc and Enter. It's really hard to justify the full cost of the Jamonelties kit just for those two keys.

That's why Jamón's base kit is $100, so people can justify getting either a layout extension or a novelties kit. With Jamón I had to remove those keys from the base kit for two reasons: first, since we have two accents kits, it's more fair for those that prefer Pata Negra to not have those keys on the main set, and secondly because otherwise we wouldn't have a $99.99 at 500, or an $89.99 at 1000. The kit had to be as minimal as possible. Additionally, I had to combine Jamonelties and Bacon Invasion, so that increased the price of that kit a little bit.

There are so many custom boards now that I almost feel like non-standard sized keys that pertain to specific boards should be put into a "Specialty Sizes" kit. This would keep costs down for the majority of users and provide you space in the base kit to include non-novelty accent keys that complete the colorway.

That's what forties & split actually is. And with other profiles, such as MT3 it's exactly what I'm doing, having an exotic kit with those keys that aren't that common.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 02:51:14 »
I like what you did with Jamón's base kit. I feel like, I have personally been hit with sticker shock lately at some of the prices of GMK sets. That was one reason I skilled Carbon. I wasn't paying 200+ dollar's to get a decent looking set. While Jamón isn't my cup of tea Nautilus nightmares looks AMAZING and is a set saving up to buy.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 10:56:41 »
I like what you did with Jamón's base kit. I feel like, I have personally been hit with sticker shock lately at some of the prices of GMK sets. That was one reason I skilled Carbon. I wasn't paying 200+ dollar's to get a decent looking set. While Jamón isn't my cup of tea Nautilus nightmares looks AMAZING and is a set saving up to buy.

It's still a little bit early to say whether Jamón is doing good or not, but what I get for sure is a clear picture of what people want and that making a smaller Core has allowed many people to get a 40s kit, which is very important IMHO.

Offline travwal

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 11:01:48 »
Are you open to including an accent arrow kit? Maybe adding them into the novelties like you did in Jamón?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 11:03:10 »
Are you open to including an accent arrow kit? Maybe adding them into the novelties like you did in Jamón?

I don't know, we'll see in 8 months.

Offline crykn

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 10:41:04 »
This looks really nice, especially with the dark gray spacebar, I just hope I have the money to join the GB. Switching my priority from Wavez to Nautilus Nightmares! You say this will drop in Q4, so shipping would be in Q2 of 2020, likely?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 05:20:31 »
Hard to say, but possibly

Offline hicals

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 16:31:40 »
gb When will it start?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 17:22:34 »
Not yet.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 19:35:57 »
Will this GB come right after GMK Striker or is there any other project coming in the middle?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 20:07:41 »
Will this GB come right after GMK Striker or is there any other project coming in the middle?

Striker comes in May 2019 and it will be done with Daily Clack, Mykeyboard, Novelkeys, and ZFrontier.

This set will hopefully come at the end of Q4 2019, on Massdrop.

Offline jortzii

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 23:34:51 »
Can't wait for this set!
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 08:10:00 »
Would love to see that dark green Nemo become a reality!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 08:37:07 »

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 09:37:08 »
Show Image

nice

Offline maximize

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 12:11:36 »

Isn't this the kind of legitimate question that the IC is for?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:48:52 »

considering the set isn't running for 8 months im sure someone will ask it again
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline maximize

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 15:36:25 »

considering the set isn't running for 8 months im sure someone will ask it again

I'm sure it will be rehashed multiple times, but why post the IC 8 months in advance if suggestions are going to be ignored for 7 of those months.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 17:26:20 »

I'm sure it will be rehashed multiple times, but why post the IC 8 months in advance if suggestions are going to be ignored for 7 of those months.

Hype

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 17:49:14 »

because the buy was supposed to run sooner but sometimes **** happens

or as zambumon would say

se lo explicas tú o se lo explico yo?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline megaforce

« Reply #185 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 19:07:28 »
ne hiragana iso avial?
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #186 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 21:39:04 »
ne hiragana iso avial?

Zambumon plz gib the people wat they want

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #187 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 08:36:32 »
Start to miss the old way of GMK.
Just a wild guess.
The original GMK Nautilus would be a lot cheaper than this.
Hope I am wrong.  :-\

Offline ctrlshiftbryan

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 12 April 2019, 09:34:29 »
Love this set. Would love it more with optional brighter colored esc and enter key.

Offline jortzii

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 13 April 2019, 23:07:32 »
If this set got a hiragana option, or hiragan sublegends, it would never leave my forest green volcano. Ever.
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 04:43:27 »
If this set got a hiragana option, or hiragan sublegends, it would never leave my forest green volcano. Ever.

Hiragana/Cadet/Hangul/Russian sub legends are not going to happen.

Offline bengine

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 05:09:38 »

How about Katakana/Thai/Taiwan sub legend?

Offline gMit

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 05:47:27 »
my body, i mean keyboard needs this set

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 06:21:11 »

How about Katakana/Thai/Taiwan sub legend?

No. This set won't have an alternate alphas kits, or any add-on kit with sublegends.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 06:55:03 »
No. This set won't have an alternate alphas kits, or any add-on kit with sublegends.

This set has everything I like: all green blanks with upper left justified, standard alphanumeric sublegends.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline jortzii

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 14 April 2019, 08:52:41 »

Ah, oh well. Still won’t leave my board haha. It the perfect color of green with some nice novelties. I will anxiously await the end of the year for this set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MCsOrangeJuice

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 13:59:44 »
Great set! Will be waiting for the GB

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 17:10:20 »

This set has everything I like: all green blanks with upper left justified, standard alphanumeric sublegends.

yeah and i bet you like vanilla ice cream too

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 17:12:07 »

No I don't. Go back and finish the papers you had to write.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 16 April 2019, 17:16:32 »

No I don't. Go back and finish the papers you had to write.

REEEEEEE

i'm 2/3 right now, taking a break before i finish the last one