geekhack Community > Keyboards

quick question

(1/1)

PlayBox:
planning on making a soldered keyboard into a hotswap one while also changing switches. which way of doing it is better change the switches the change to hotswap or make it hotswap then change the switches? i would prefer doing the 1st but if its not good im okay with the 2nd

vincesatsong:
Not sure about what you're saying from the half. But for making the soldered PBC to Hot-swappable, use mill-max sockets

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

PlayBox:
yeahi know about the millmax sockets. im basically asking if desoldering switches will damage them so i wouldn't be able to use them back in a hotswap keyboard

Leslieann:
Unless you have good desolder equipment, you will probably lose a few switches.

Note:
You shouldn't put desoldered switches into a hot swap socket, it can damage them.
Also mill max do NOT fit all boards, the holes need to be large enough and you also need to clean them out really well. If you have junk desoldering equipment, good luck doing it without damaging the pcb. There used to be a database of pcbs could fit them, not sure if it still exists or if your pcb is listed even then.

PlayBox:
ok so ill do the mill max first option.
i think i have decent desoldering equipment at home maybe not desolderiing gun but still decent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version