Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1186 times)

Offline alinh

Hello
« on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 08:52:08 »
So 3-4 months ago I decided that I should learn to type properly (been using the "6-7 fingers and occasionally peak at the keyboard" technique). Not making *great* progress (~45-50 wpm with 95% accuracy - but I blame it on the keyboard  :)) ); seems that the cheap 1$ no name keyboard I've been using at work is not that great  :eek:... Bought a MS 4000 keyboard which is nicer, but the space bar is irritating and sometimes it feels like the left part is not that nicely done.

I've always wanted one of those "big noisy IBM keyboards" I used for a while ~15 years ago in high-school and searched for a decently priced one (I live in Europe - so clickykeyboards is not really an option since shipping is ~80% of a keyboard cost). I finally found one that's non-german layout and it should arrive today in the mail   :thumb:

So after 4 months I feel like I hate the zig-zag keys layout (feels very unnatural...) and I stumbled upon matrix-layout keyboards, which look cooler :)
I never tried a mechanical keyboard, but somehow it made sense to buy an ErgoDox (full hand + blue switches for the "tactability" and clickness factor which will hopefully annoy my annoying office coleagues  ;D ), so yeah... will see how it goes  :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 08:55:12 »
Welcome to Geekhack! The word you're looking for is "Tactility". Let us know how you like the ergo-dox! I tried one for the first time over the weekend and I was pretty impressed by it :D

Offline alinh

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:24:59 »
Thanks for the welcome CPTBadAss, still 12 days until the group buy for the ED is done then a few weeks (?) until they get the parts and a few weeks (?) for shipping... it will be a long wait :(

but.. but... I picked up my Model M (not an original IBM, but...) today, and it seems that my cheap (5$) no name PS/2 to USB converter works great. The keyboard looks brand new (there are even some small strands of plastic that can be removed - like on new plastic stuff thingies :) ).

I can't believe how nice it is to type on it  and the clickiness is awesome  ;D

P.S.

Part Number    Key Type                 Detachable    Interf.    Drainage Channels       Label Type, Position                                  Maker    Years               Copyright             Miscellaneous Features

1396790           Buckling spring          Yes                      PS/2    Yes (no 1991)               Grey (Blue 1992 and after), left corner    IBM            ?–1991–95?    IBM Corp. 1985    Made in UK by IBM; North American layout

Mine doesn't have detachable cable and the manufacturer is not IBM....  :confused:

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:38:12 by alinh »

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 07:08:07 »
So after 4 months I feel like I hate the zig-zag keys layout (feels very unnatural...) and I stumbled upon matrix-layout keyboards, which look cooler :)
I never tried a mechanical keyboard, but somehow it made sense to buy an ErgoDox (full hand + blue switches for the "tactability" and clickness factor which will hopefully annoy my annoying office coleagues  ;D ), so yeah... will see how it goes  :))

I'm also looking at getting the ergodox... I can't make a choice!! I probably will end up getting it though since it's not a very common thing to run across.

Oh! Welcome to Geekhack!
hello.