Author Topic: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - Vendors announced; GB Date June 14th  (Read 32605 times)

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Ex Arkhes - TKL

252736-0252786-1

After buying a few too many keyboards I wanted to design something myself. The name is in recognition of that; meaning literally "borne of the beginning", and marks my first keyboard design.
Aesthetically I was inspired by the shape of the rowing shell and the katamaran, which manifests in curved profiles, bezels and a back/top piece reminiscent of a boats motion over water.

GB THREAD PENDING APPROVAL: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113347.msg3058625

Specifications:
. WKL 7u only bottom row
. 4.2 degree typing angle
. O-ring gummy worm mount - ala Jane v2 CE, 356 Mini etc
. Curved seamless case profile
. H88 PCB by Hineybush - F13 TKL form factor
. 6063 Aluminium case and plate

General update

Here's a typing test of the V1 prototype:

And the V2 prototype:

[/youtube]

Vendors:
SEA: Monokei
EU: Oblotzky
NA: Spacecables
CAN: Ashkeebs

GB date is June 14th and we plan to keep it open for two weeks or so.
The colour options will be:

Black Top/Red Bottom
Silver Top/Red Bottom
Silver Top/Blue Bottom
Red Top/ Silver Bottom
Blue Top/ Silver Bottom

Price will be approximately $560 exclusive of VAT

If you want to receive pings as to when the GB will go live and follow this or any of my upcoming projects more closely; please consider joining my discord

252738-2

252740-3

252742-4

270000-5

270002-6

270004-7

270006-8

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 June 2021, 17:50:00 by Lil »

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Update as of 15th February 2021

I have built and tested the V1 prototype - I can post pictures of that at some point once I have had the time to take a few photographs. Based on my experiences when building and using the V1 proto I made several changes to the design:

• Increased overall room inside the bottom case by 1mm on both the north and south sides of the bottom case to better account for the fitment of the o-ring
  • Accounted for the spacebar stabilisers pushing the o ring further out by carving space within the bottom case for the o-ring to sit in at the stabilisers location
  • Removed some flex cuts on the plate which I felt were negatively affecting sound
  • Changed from the standard USB Mini to centred USB-C port with a daughterboard
  • Made some small QOL changes to fillet size along the bottom and back side of the topcase
  • Added a logo engraved on the bottom of the case

The V2 prototypes have been made: my unit was sent to Lulzthax to build on stream but we are waiting on the PCB and some other parts to arrive. He opened and inspected it on stream yesterday which you can see here:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/913474536?t=1h37m47s

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2021, 00:22:33 by Lil »

Offline yoot

• none
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 16:49:14 »
This board got cuuuuuuuurves

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 16:51:45 »
sharp boi glwic
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 16:52:17 »
I'm glad to see the Typemaster is being taken in a slightly more original direction.

Offline jjexpat00

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 17:04:21 »
In for a float test...

Would be interested to see a catamaran version with a "split" design weight.

Offline Phrillis

• mod-colored pipe connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 17:32:12 »
i see f13, i like
TGR Jane v2 ME | Mode 80 1st Ed. | KFE CE | Ottantaquattro | Freyr | CW88 | Frog TKL | Noxary 280 | Noxary 380 | U80-A SEQ-2 | KBD8X MK II | ElectroType 87
TC-V3 | CW60 | Ladybird | Kira EXS

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 18:35:17 »
This looks great, i'm sure you will have no trouble "sailing" this to the public :D

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 19:48:20 »
Looks pretty nice! F13 stonks! GLWIC
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline TheMilkmen

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 20:13:34 »
O-ring gasket is absolutely a yes. Very interested to see this progress!

Offline n.rdy

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 20:22:22 »
this is pretty dope!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 21:26:51 »
Catamaran looks like it's got dual usb-c

What's the bottom of the board look like?

Offline fropsie

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 23:55:34 »
Certainly interesting!

Offline GaNeBaL

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 00:35:12 »
i'm gonna touch the butt
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 02:51:15 »
Every single, and I genuinely mean EVERY single TKL should have F13. It makes the top symmetrical (at least until the nav), and it makes for the perfect spot for an artisan. It's a no-brainer.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline GMK83

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 03:34:10 »
Looks good!  Titanium bottom would be cool.

Offline ephemeral25

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 06:10:19 »
First keyboard based on a nautical theme that I actually like. Can't wait for renders !

Offline Ja3_420

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 08:02:27 »
but does it float?

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 08:10:51 »
nice sutuff

Offline OBL17

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 14:45:24 »
yup im interested for sure!

Offline Stev!e

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 15:23:13 »
I find it unique and different. I really like it!

Offline rikercd

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 15:43:57 »
Dope keyboard, I'll buy one.

Offline Janoma

• certified nerd
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 10:54:43 »
Beautiful design, DEM CURVES. A blue/e-white version would be a must-buy.

EDIT: I might have concerns about the stability, mainly front to back wobble.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 September 2020, 10:56:30 by Janoma »

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 11:03:17 »
Needs more Semaphores, but conceptually this keeb is a solid idea.

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 14:15:43 »
The back plate doubling as the weight and aesthetic feature in the back is pretty clever, looks interesting. Is there going to be a USB-C option?

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL [prototype ordered, feedback wanted]
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 07:57:59 »
Thanks everyone for the interest, the aluminium parts for the prototype have finished being CNCed by the factory:

251867-0

251869-1

I have also ordered a brass base. I hope to receive and build the prototype sometime in October, at which point I will test the optimal number of screws and make amendments as required. You can see the current iteration of the bottom of the keyboard pictured above. Unfortunately the Titanium base was around 8-10x more expensive than the aluminium version so I have decided not to include this as an option.

My intention with the design was to blend sharp lines and curves to create the overall shape, similar to that of a blade. The overall outside fillet is currently 0.25mm for this reason.
I wanted your feedback on potentially changing the fillet on the front bezel and where the back curve meets the bottom to 3mm. It would then look more like this:

251871-2
251873-3

The keyboard itself was designed around the H88, and so it currently intended to be USB Mini. I do prefer USB-C so if it is possible to use a daughterboard, that isn't out of the cards. But unless stated otherwise you can expect it to remain USB Mini.
My original intention was to keep the colour options to a minimum of 2 to 3 configurations. One with a brass bottom, and the other[/s] being all aluminium construction. Because I couldn't decide which blue I wanted in time, the aluminium base of the prototype will be anodised red. If you have any colour suggestions please let me know

Renders avail soon

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 08:42:50 »
Hold up, if this thing has a whole brass bottom, that means a whole one piece of this thing is brass right? Because the bottom piece IS the plate, forcing it to be the weight also correct? This is freaking amazing! Also I got lost on the term 'fillet', would you mind educating us?  :thumb:

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 09:07:01 »
Hold up, if this thing has a whole brass bottom, that means a whole one piece of this thing is brass right? Because the bottom piece IS the plate, forcing it to be the weight also correct? This is freaking amazing! Also I got lost on the term 'fillet', would you mind educating us?  :thumb:

There isn't an integrated plate, it will mount in the same way as the Jane V2 CE, and the H88 shares the same mounting points. You can see a demonstration in Velvet's build video of that keyboard:

On the brass version the bottom case will be entirely brass weighing ~3.5kg, the top case will still be aluminium

The fillet is the degree of rounding of the edges on the board - so currently the appearance is quite sharp but I am considering rounding the edges of the front bezel and bottom of the board, you can see the differences in the post above
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2020, 09:51:38 by Lil »

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 09:27:34 »
There isn't an integrated plate, it will mount in the same way as the Jane V2 CE, and the hH88 shares the same mounting points.

On the brass version the bottom case will be entirely brass weighing ~3.5kg, the top case will still be aluminium

I have no idea why I thought the plate was integrated, probably because the render colors of the weight and plate were the same giving that illusion, whoopsthies. That whole bottom in brass though, this is going to be stunning.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 11:20:35 »
Interested to know what it feels like to type on. I'm assuming you placed the bottom gasket supports in an asymmetrical position for a reason (feels? accoustics?) 

Let us know how this baby types!

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 12:45:37 »
Interested to know what it feels like to type on. I'm assuming you placed the bottom gasket supports in an asymmetrical position for a reason (feels? accoustics?) 

The H88 pcb has cut outs to fit the mounting points of the Jace v2, to allow the o-ring which is between the plate and the pcb to rest on the mounting points in the bottom case. Because I am using the H88, the mounting points on the bottom case for my keyboard will be in the same place for this reason.

If I was using a custom PCB I would've had a choice as to where to put the mounting points, but I think using a standard pcb is a worthwhile trade off; enabling users to be able to easily replace their pcb or get spares in the future.

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL [Prototype photographs, IC form posted]
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:32:42 »
The prototype has arrived and I have posted some photos in the OP and the second post.

Please fill out the IC form if you're interested and help me decide on colours: IC FORM HERE

Once H88s get shipped out this month I will build it and post more pictures along with a typing test.

Renders are on the way by Pikku-allu

252795-0

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:58:39 by Lil »

Offline Kookiekurls

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 13:51:59 »
I love the shape of the keyboard, it looks nice and refined, and I'm always a sucker for an all brass bottom! I just feel like... it needs something on the bottom. A logo or something, not just completely blank. That would be my only criticism! Best of luck with this one, I hope it sounds amazing!

Offline gilbert

This looks pretty wild
Collection: F1.69, G80-5K, Bliss TKL, Ecliptica, Cypher, Safa S588, Southpaw Fullsize, HHKB Pro2, Zenith G80-1192HAD

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
this looks sick.  Lilac option would be awesome!

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 18:33:12 »
I love the shape of the keyboard, it looks nice and refined, and I'm always a sucker for an all brass bottom! I just feel like... it needs something on the bottom. A logo or something, not just completely blank. That would be my only criticism! Best of luck with this one, I hope it sounds amazing!

I think you're right, I will come up with something to be engraved on the bottom. I originally intended to do a wave pattern for a blue bottom version but I don't know how practical it would be on reflection.

This looks pretty wild

this looks sick.  Lilac option would be awesome!

Thanks guys! Looks like Lilac is the most popular option so far on the form. If there was a Lilac top option on the Alu version, what colour would you want on the case bottom to match it?

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 18:42:07 »

Thanks guys! Looks like Lilac is the most popular option so far on the form. If there was a Lilac top option on the Alu version, what colour would you want on the case bottom to match it?

silver or white IMO!

Offline beigeandbrown

Any plans for a half plate?

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Any plans for a half plate?

I didn't have any plans to include a half plate option, but I will add it to the IC form along with an ISO plate option. So if there is enough interest I will consider it

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
Looking good! Do you think the front edge could be lowered?
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline soloplayer

dope design, count me in  ;D
is there an option for brass plate update? or plate file available after GB?
and pls be FCFS  :D ty

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
H88 PCBs should be shipped by mykeyboard in early November as they were being remade, so I will be building it around then. Based on my impressions I may want to make revisions to the design at that point. Lowering the front height is something I am currently considering and I will update you on my thoughts at that point

dope design, count me in  ;D
is there an option for brass plate update? or plate file available after GB?
and pls be FCFS  :D ty
Thanks! I currently plan for there to be a brass plate and alu plate option, I haven't decided if the brass plate would be an add on yet though. I can also make the plate file available after the GB.
My preference is also for FCFS but I will have to discuss it with the vendors I am working with
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2020, 08:01:02 by Lil »

Offline soloplayer

H88 PCBs should be shipped by mykeyboard in early November as they were being remade, so I will be building it around then. Based on my impressions I may want to make revisions to the design at that point. Lowering the front height is something I am currently considering and I will update you on my thoughts at that point

why dont you contact hiney and ask him to make a h88-c?  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Baionlenja

• +B
    • www.baionlenja.com
that mini usb cutout is brilliant

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
This is incredibly beautiful, I can't wait for this one!

Offline kimchijody

What the actual **** this hurts my brain I have so many questions. Mainly how the hell can I get one? Good stuff. Very interesting design.

I will say that I personally have no preference for mini or usb-c. However I think it should be worth considering that Hiney will likely run an h88c gb and many upcoming boards will offer support for h88c as well. Would love if the cutout could be compatible with both, as sourcing pcbs will become much easier for those who want to purchase more pcbs with various plate options down the line. GLWIC!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2020, 05:29:55 by kimchijody »

Offline filuwow

Filled the IC form, any chance to change mini usb to type-C.

Offline cannon-cat

I like it! +1 for Type-C

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
I would like to see a Tsangan/WK option since the PCB supports it.

Offline Icemanrec

oh nice, this might be my chance to buy a TKL Alps board

Offline FaIIen

any estimated date for anything?

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
any estimated date for anything?
February.

That being said, I am still waiting on a pcb to build+test the r1 proto, and the r2 proto will probably take 30 days to manu. So this has thrown a bit of a wrench into my plans, as I originally expected to be able to test everything in October, allowing me to make revisions before the gb date.

I ordered an in-stock H88 from Monokei on the 18th, so I am hoping something will arrive soon.

Offline Digmo

• keebit.studio
some interesting curves, id like to see iso support

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
I have built and tested the V1 prototype - I can post pictures of that at some point once I have had the time to take a few photographs. Based on my experiences when building and using the V1 proto I made several changes to the design:
  • Increased overall room inside the bottom case by 1mm on both the north and south sides of the bottom case to better account for the fitment of the o-ring
  • Accounted for the spacebar stabilisers pushing the o ring further out by carving space within the bottom case for the o-ring to sit in at the stabilisers location
  • Removed some flex cuts on the plate which I felt were negatively affecting sound
  • Made some small QOL changes to fillet size along the bottom and back side of the topcase
The V2 prototypes have been made: my unit was sent to Lulzthax to build on stream but we are waiting on the PCB and some other parts to arrive. He opened and inspected it on stream yesterday which you can see here:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/913474536?t=1h37m47s
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2021, 00:22:47 by Lil »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

Sounds like some very thoughtful changes.  Looking forward to seeing the second prototype built up!

Offline Havattack

Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - V2 Prototype [USB-C]
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 13:30:50 »
Very nicely done design. Actually making me consider a TKL... you cheeky devil.

Offline Jacki

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 15:28:21 »
Supports split backspace, but no ISO Enter?

[img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/in3VqH2.jpg[/img

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 11:44:21 »
Supports split backspace, but no ISO Enter?

Iso should be an option for the GB

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - typing test for v1 prototype
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 12:29:07 »
Here's a typing test of the V1 prototype. The audio was recorded in-camera so turn down the volume to minimise the white noise.

Hopefully Lulzthax will be building the V2 prototype soon which has changed to USB-C and uses a daughterboard.
The GB is on track for March - more details to follow

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - V1 prototype sound test
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 22:23:12 »
Lulzthax is building this? Color me excited!

Offline Starius

Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - V1 prototype sound test
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 06:05:43 »
As for color options, I do hope that space grey will be an option.  This is a very nice looking board.

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - Build stream 5th April 6pm PST/ GB soon
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 16:40:20 »
Hi all

There is a buildstream on Lulzthax's stream tonight [April 5th] at 6PM PST: https://www.twitch.tv/lulzthax
Hope to see you guys there! [It's in ~3.5 hours from now]

GB date TBC but I expect it to be sometime in the next week or so - before the Monokei & Friends event
With that said there are two vendors confirmed so far: Monokei and Oblotzky

Number of units, along with pricing and the exact date of the GB are TBA and I will post here when there is an update to be made

I think the colours being offered are probably going to be Black/Silver topcase + Red/Blue bottomcase. We will try to provide some renders to give a better understanding of what it will all look like closer to the time :)

If you want to receive pings as to when the GB will go live and follow this or any of my upcoming projects more closely; please consider joining my discord

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - Build stream 5th April 6pm PST/ GB soon
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 17:25:38 »
Hi all

There is a buildstream on Lulzthax's stream tonight [April 5th] at 6PM PST: https://www.twitch.tv/lulzthax
Hope to see you guys there! [It's in ~3.5 hours from now]

GB date TBC but I expect it to be sometime in the next week or so - before the Monokei & Friends event
With that said there are two vendors confirmed so far: Monokei and Oblotzky

Number of units, along with pricing and the exact date of the GB are TBA and I will post here when there is an update to be made

I think the colours being offered are probably going to be Black/Silver topcase + Red/Blue bottomcase. We will try to provide some renders to give a better understanding of what it will all look like closer to the time :)

Lulzthax! Get hyped!

Offline Que7797

Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - Lulzthax build stream @6pm PST/GB soon
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 21:30:24 »
them angles tho, glwic and the proto-build.

Offline brandkeebs

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 23:54:21 »
after lulz's stream now i want

Offline Escy

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 04:28:51 »
after lulz's stream now i want

same, really liked the colour combination

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - Vendors announced
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 17:32:19 »
Hi everyone - sorry for the delay.
The list of vendors has been updated

Vendors:
SEA: Monokei
EU: Oblotzky
NA: Spacecables
CAN: Ashkeebs

Trying to work out a GB timing that works out for everyone - unfortunately it seems we've missed the timing prior to the Monokei+Friends event we were aiming for. Details to follow when I know more

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [IC] Ex Arkhe - F13 o-ring TKL - Vendors announced; GB Date June 14th
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 18:06:47 »
GB date will be starting June 14th and will run for two weeks
Price will be approximately $560 across vendors exclusive of VAT

Typing test from Lulzthax's april build stream of the V2 Prototype:

Colour options will be:
Black Top/Red Bottom
Silver Top/Red Bottom
Silver Top/Blue Bottom
Red Top/ Silver Bottom
Blue Top/ Silver Bottom

269990-0

Here are some unbuilt photographs of the Silver top/Blue bottom V2 prototype:

269992-1
269994-2
269996-3
269998-4

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 20:43:52 »
The side profile on this board is great. Really looking forward to this buy.

Offline AKiwi92

• KiwiKeebs
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 12:27:32 »
Love that curved rear, look forward to seeing the GB on this!

Offline Lil

• designedbydark