Author Topic: Redundant title title?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Redundant title title?
« on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 17:43:31 »
Erm, not to be annoying or anything, but isn't "Keyboard Keycaps" redundant, like "PIN number"?

Not to mention that the term caps is widely misused in the MK community. The proper term, used throughout the entire classic MK era by manufacturers and users alike, is button. ("Key" is also acceptable, though it was used mostly in the context of operation.)

KB and computer people didn't start referring to "caps" till IBM invented the two-piece button, consisting of a cap on a stem. You don't call the buttons on any other switching devices "caps", do you? For some reason, though, MK people started using the term for one-piece buttons. It's surprising this misuse continues, considering how much MK people are into accuracy, otherwise.

If you're interested (and I won't be surprised if you're not, as I'm used to being a "voice in the wilderness" on this), we're having a discussion about it here.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Redundant title title?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 18:02:44 »
Right. So just say "keycaps."

Offline libertycannon

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 22:35:58 »
No its not the same as a PIN number.  You aren't an outlier here you are just wrong.  Good info on keycaps though!

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 23:18:59 »
I'm with romevi on this one

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 23:59:07 »
Wow, I didn't know that it was IBM that popularised that word.

To be honest though, I usually just end up calling them 'keycaps' (without the preceding 'keyboard') so it's not a huge issue for me.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 00:11:30 »
The subforum is called keyboard keycaps. That's what he's getting at, I think.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 01:03:49 »
The subforum is called keyboard keycaps. That's what he's getting at, I think.

That's what I was referring to, but yeah, I agree.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 22:05:51 »
There's not many devices that use keycaps other than keyboards (numpads are little keyboards, Nostromos are game input devices with a mini built-in keyboard), so it kinda goes without saying that they are keycaps for keyboards.

Although good luck getting the title changed :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Auk

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 04:49:41 »
Erm, not to be annoying or anything, but isn't "Keyboard Keycaps" redundant

This thread isn't annoying, but the title is clumsy and I certainly do find it jarring and awkward. Every time I want to navigate to this forum I'm finding it requires just slightly more thought and focus than elsewhere. I think the row with 'keyboard of the month' child forum isn't helping either, it breaks the flow. Intuitively I expect the index page to read:
  • Keyboards
  • Keycaps
but I can't see admin changing it unless they are extremely bored, or indulging in some severe procrastination to avoid doing something else.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 04:58:05 »
yeah been drinking sob**** IT ANDER IS RIGHT START THE REVOLUTION CHANGE THE TITLE