Author Topic: Bricked Pro Micro Help  (Read 9052 times)

Offline x9Memoriez

Bricked Pro Micro Help
« on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 08:38:23 »
Hey GH,

Was building a board today, and midway through flashing the .hex file onto the Pro Micro using AVRDUDE, the 'processor stopped responding' according to the software.

The Pro Micro suddenly got disconnected, and now longer detects on any computer, with any cable/any usb port. Literally nothing, not even 'Windows doesnt detect this device', etc.

The solid red light previously is gone now, and its just a solid green power light.

Any ideas on how to fix the promicro? Desoldering and replacing is the last resort for me at the moment.

Cheers.
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline Tactile

Re: Bricked Pro Micro Help
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 09:07:28 »
Step 1: Verify it's a 5 volt Pro Micro. In this photo see the rectangular metallic silver box centered toward the bottom and the marking: 16.000. Verify yours is marked the same.
            8.000  =   8 Mhz = 3.3 Volt
            16.000 = 16 Mhz = 5 Volt

Step 2: Make sure the jumper in the corner is bridged with solder (see the yellow circle in the photo). This should be open for 3.3 Volt, bridged for 5 Volt.

198215-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 June 2018, 10:32:19 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 09:16:43 »
Once that's done, should it just start functioning normally once plugged in?

I don't understand what that changes, i flashed another identical pro-micro the same way and it started working, i think i messed something on this chip.

Could you confirm?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 10:35:38 »
Is it possible you had it selected as a 3V3 instead of 5V pro micro when you were flashing it? That can cause this behaviour. You should be able to reflash at 5V by forcing it into bootloader mode.

Short reset (rst) and ground (gnd) pins twice in rapid succession, then upload as quick as you can.  It may be easier to do this using the Arduino IDE and the sparkfun board files. It may take a few tries to time it right. If it's not even detected until it's in bootloader mode, you may have to do some fiddling to get things set up properly.

If it can't be detected in bootloader mode, you could try reflashing the bootloader manually, but it would probably be more expedient to pay the $5 it takes to get a new pro micro.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 16:31:59 »
Double reset doesn't do anything as far as I can see, still nothing on the computer so I can flash.

Will try again when im home though, thanks.