Author Topic: Differential oil as a lube? (key squeaky)  (Read 2758 times)

Offline WhipeeDip

Differential oil as a lube? (key squeaky)
« on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 18:19:27 »
My enter key on the QuickFire Rapid is squeaky, and would like to lube the stabilizer wire or whatever is needed to lube the key. However, I do not want to buy any lube.
Would differential oil work fine? I have the Traxxas Differential Oil. It has a weight of 50k. (I have this for lubing cubes, since I love speedcubing.)
If not, is there any other solution to stop squeaking?

Edit: Link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-5137-Differential-Oil-Weight/dp/B000BOLVFI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354673326&sr=8-1&keywords=traxxas+differential+oil
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 December 2012, 20:10:16 by WhipeeDip »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Differential oil as a lube? (key squeaky)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 19:12:47 »
I would be afraid of using any lubricant intended for metals on plastics. Short term it might work great, but long-term effects might be bad.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline WhipeeDip

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 20:09:20 »
I would be afraid of using any lubricant intended for metals on plastics. Short term it might work great, but long-term effects might be bad.

I'm pretty sure it's fine for plastics. I use it on plastics.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 20:18:20 »
He's referring to toy car (remote control) differentials which often contain at least some plastic.  I'm pretty sure the traxxas stuff is plastic safe.  It should be fine on the stabilizer, but too thick for inside the switch.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline WhipeeDip

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 20:20:40 »
He's referring to toy car (remote control) differentials which often contain at least some plastic.  I'm pretty sure the traxxas stuff is plastic safe.  It should be fine on the stabilizer, but too thick for inside the switch.

Yeah I won't be using it inside the switch, just the stabilizer. I'll look more into this and possibly try it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 20:52:46 »
stick to silicone and teflon based lubes for plastic

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 21:02:28 »
10:1 odds traxxas is silicone.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 21:06:25 »
This stuff is great. I have lubed dozens of switches and not used half of it.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,misc&pid=mechlube

The applicator is configured perfectly, and the consistency makes it extremely easy to get just the right amount in just the right place.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"