Author Topic: Good Momentary Keyboard Case Switches?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline clickclack123

Good Momentary Keyboard Case Switches?
« on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:18:16 »
I want to add a teensy reset switch to the backside/underside of a custom keyboard.

Can anyone suggest a good type of switch for this, preferably available from ebay/online for cheap? The cheap momentary panel-mount switches that I have found on ebay are all too big to be useful, eg:

57369-0

There are lots of good pcb mount/smd small switches available, I just need a good flat one like that, but with a thread so I can mount it to the panel hole.

I guess I could drill a hole and glue one of these in, but I'd be worried that the glue wouldn't hold... They are very cheap...  ;)

57371-1

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Re: Good Momentary Keyboard Case Switches?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 23:36:31 »
I probably would go w/ the Omron switch, it's less likely to actuate accidentally (assuming it's not sticking out of the case.) Also would make a small U-shaped contraption that goes over the back of the switch and holds it in place. My boards all have a "enter bootloader" function I usually bind to FN+FN2+ESC, saves me the trouble of an external switch. Well, as long I don't mess up the firmware that is.. ;)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 00:53:31 »
Cherry switches are cheap, momentary, and can be panel mounted. :p

If I mess up the firmware, I just open the case and press the reset from there. Otherwise, I use software shortcuts to access the "ether bootloader" function.

I agree about the smaller switch: just drill a hole in the case and then mount it with a bracket and screw hole or with glue or some adhesive.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 23:37:33 »
Cherry switches are cheap, momentary, and can be panel mounted. :p

Ha ha, very funny... I actually thought of that when I asked the question...

If I mess up the firmware, I just open the case and press the reset from there. Otherwise, I use software shortcuts to access the "ether bootloader" function.

I agree about the smaller switch: just drill a hole in the case and then mount it with a bracket and screw hole or with glue or some adhesive.

I've had problems in the past getting to the bootloader on the Pro Micro. It's hard to get the timing right as there is no auto-reset. So I want to make sure I don't have any problems.

I'll go with the Omron. It'll be mounted on the underside of the kb. I think I will just drill holes for the four leads through the bottom of the case, and glue the switch to the outside of the case. It's for a Keycool 84, and there's a space where the switch should fit near where the usb cable plugs in.

I'm mounting a Pro Micro running hasu's converter inside the keyboard itself. I'll post pics in the keyboard forum when I've done it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 00:48:52 »
cherry microswitches maybe?

http://cherryswitches.com/us/product_category/microswitches/

the D4 is the classical switch for just about everything you can think of (it's outline compatible with the popular omrons as well). every vending machine, arcade machine, many mice, etc. sport D4s.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 04:07:57 »
If the Teensy or Pro Micro is mounted upside down in the case, you could just drill a little hole in the case where the switch is and use a piece of wire to push it when needed. Saves being accidentally pressed.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 05:26:21 »
If the Teensy or Pro Micro is mounted upside down in the case, you could just drill a little hole in the case where the switch is and use a piece of wire to push it when needed. Saves being accidentally pressed.

Good idea for the teensy, but the pro micro doesn't have a switch on the board. I'll need to add an external switch.