Author Topic: connectors for Model M membrane?  (Read 1344 times)

Offline ericball

connectors for Model M membrane?
« on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:53:52 »
Can anyone suggest a cheap connector for the membranes on a Model M?

I have a 1394540 which I want to upgrade to a Teensy++ 2.0 controller.  My original plan was to use the Teensy as a semi drop-in replacement for the 6805.  However, now that I'm looking at the circuit board, I'm seeing a lot more components which would probably need to be removed or bypassed.  So instead I'm thinking the easier way might be to junk the PCB entirely and just to connect the Teensy to the membrane connectors.

Or should I just try to desolder the original connectors?

Offline wcass

Re: connectors for Model M membrane?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 20:11:41 »
IBM used "Triomate FFC" with .1" pitch (available at Mouser and Digikey). These can be connected directly to a Teensy, but the ribbon cables wants to attach at points further away that what can reach the Teensy. You would probably want to build a PCB to attach the Teensy to or just a "from scratch" PCB with connectors in the right spots.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:10:41 »
You can do what user sethstorm has done here and use some protoboard
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Q8TZ3TR.jpg[/imgl]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55831.msg1259771#msg1259771

Thanks for the specifics, wcass. I think I'll order some so I can actually use parts of my WW KB collection

Offline ericball

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 12:55:10 »
Thanks guys.  "FFC connector" is the keyword for searches at Mouser/Digikey/etc.  I'm looking at the FCI 66226 "Clincher" connectors as they terminate in pins.

I'm debating how best to connect to the Teensy++.  One issue is the fixed spacing, but the bigger problem is the pinout of the Teensy++ has several "holes" which make direct connections via a breadboard more difficult (without lots of jumper wires).  The other options are wirewrapping everything or having a custom PCB made (need to do a layout and check the cost).