Author Topic: Help with Keys not working  (Read 1733 times)

Offline jorgenslee

Help with Keys not working
« on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:50:26 »
So I got the 60% FaceW PCB from Sprit. When I test the keys after 5 hours of soldering, some of the keys are not working. The keys are Esc 2,3,4,6,9,0,tab,capslock,A,G,H,L, Enter, L-shift. Been pretty exhausted and I have no idea what could have been the cause. Do someone know how to debug this kind of things? The switch are pretty new, and I also resolder the keys that are not working. Could this be diode issue? Or could be it a controller issue?

Any help is much appreciated.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Help with Keys not working
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:53:23 »
Do you have a multimeter? If so, use it to test the continuity of the switches. If that works out for you, perhaps the PCB is shorting out on something? What case do you have? And you may have diode issues.

It would also help us help you if you posted pictures of your PCB.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:09:58 »
I don't have a multimeter as of the moment, I will get it tomorrow as it is night time here. I didn't place it in the case but I use an aluminum plate from imsto. I have attached here the picture of the pcb, been pretty new to soldering and It's my first shot in assembling keyboards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:13:16 »
The joints where your switch legs are look pretty rough. Some of them aren't even filled with solder. I would try resoldering those switches.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:45:28 »
The joints where your switch legs are look pretty rough. Some of them aren't even filled with solder. I would try resoldering those switches.

Tried resoldering any rough joints, same issue.  :'(

Also, here's the 2,3,4 area. If anyone has a working pcb and could compare the diode direction

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:48:31 »
I think the diodes should go on the pads above where they are (are those pads or just printings on the PCB?). Where they are currently is for LEDs, if I'm right.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:50:04 by esoomenona »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 08:50:46 »
No the diodes are in the right place moose. I'm not sure if the joints are still good. Should look something like this:

KMAC PCB from DanGWanG's blog

But now that I look at your PCB and the KMAC one, it looks like your diodes are backwards.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 09:10:58 »
yeah, sprit did confirmed that it has been reversed. Basically all the diodes that is oriented horizontally is in the wrong directions. Thanks CPTBadAss and esoomenona. and to sprit for helping thru pm...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 09:13:18 »
Awww yiss thanks for helping out incorrectly

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 09:29:30 »
Awww yiss thanks for helping out incorrectly

Haha, nope. You raise an issue which leads CPT to point out the real cause...  :p