Author Topic: [Help] Alternative 40% PCB+Plate+Case CAD work  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
[Help] Alternative 40% PCB+Plate+Case CAD work
« on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 01:40:25 »
I want to make my own 40% layout, but .25x bigger than before, so I can get my ' key.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/6640fbd9fc327912fb9aff3ccf606186

65207-0

I would like the PCB to be programmable and there be SMD resistors and diodes. In addition I'd like to have SMD LEDs on the underside. Also I would like holes for PCB mounted 6.25x spacebar.

The plate should have cutouts to allow for removing switches from the top. I would like it to be as minimal as possible, not having extra space at the ends.

I would like files for both an acrylic sandwiched between metal and 1 piece CNC milled case. If there can be a way to have mounting screws on the inside for both case designs, that would be ideal. Simplicity is key

I will probally order via OSHpark and get 3 PCBs, two of which are for myself and the third to whoever designs the parts.

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 01:42:04 by Pacifist »

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
Re: [Help] Alternative 40% PCB+Plate+Case CAD work
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 09:49:29 »
I like your layout, I feel like most 40% not having ,.; is really inconvenient.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 14:35:00 »
I want to make my own 40% layout, but .25x bigger than before, so I can get my ' key.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/6640fbd9fc327912fb9aff3ccf606186

(Attachment Link)

I would like the PCB to be programmable and there be SMD resistors and diodes. In addition I'd like to have SMD LEDs on the underside. Also I would like holes for PCB mounted 6.25x spacebar.

The plate should have cutouts to allow for removing switches from the top. I would like it to be as minimal as possible, not having extra space at the ends.

I would like files for both an acrylic sandwiched between metal and 1 piece CNC milled case. If there can be a way to have mounting screws on the inside for both case designs, that would be ideal. Simplicity is key

I will probally order via OSHpark and get 3 PCBs, two of which are for myself and the third to whoever designs the parts.

I would switch the caps lock for tab. But I am a programmer and use tab for smart-autocomplete, which means using it *a lot*.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 14:43:29 »

(Attachment Link)

I would switch the caps lock for tab. But I am a programmer and use tab for smart-autocomplete, which means using it *a lot*.

agreed. maybe something more like this?

http://ne0.cc/laygenV2#2i6YQ

Offline luisbg

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 15:18:18 »

(Attachment Link)

Awesome! Would join a group buy for this layout and a programmable board. So I can get numbers, arrows and symbols in hardware.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:18:39 »
I'm probably going to do one for my self once I have more money :o I'd just use a teensy and hand wire everything though

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 16:22:32 »
I'm probably going to do one for my self once I have more money :o I'd just use a teensy and hand wire everything though

I'd rather have a PCB for even more solidity

Also the legends are just guidelines and since its programable u can change it

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:11:53 »

(Attachment Link)

IMO if you're going to go for that, it kind of defeats the purpose of a 40%.
This design adds an extra whole column to the traditional 40% to get what? 1 extra key on the 2nd row compared to mine.

My design added .25 collums to get a key that is pretty crucial, a key on the home row.
And like I said, this will be programable with multiple layers, so whatever key you need will be accessible through a layer. But for me, I use ' quite a lot and want it to be dedicated
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:14:28 by Pacifist »

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:39:47 »

(Attachment Link)

This design adds an extra whole column to the traditional 40% to get what? 1 extra key on the 2nd row compared to mine.

My design added .25 collums to get a key that is pretty crucial, a key on the home row.
And like I said, this will be programable with multiple layers, so whatever key you need will be accessible through a layer. But for me, I use ' quite a lot and want it to be dedicated
Imo it's worth it, for me at least. I'm not comfortable with a small enter bar, and prefer a larger backspace. Also I like having the basic punctuation like this. There's no point to me in being so minimalist that you're getting rid of things you want just forthe sake of minimalism.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:42:07 »

(Attachment Link)

Imo it's worth it, for me at least. I'm not comfortable with a small enter bar, and prefer a larger backspace. Also I like having the basic punctuation like this. There's no point to me in being so minimalist that you're getting rid of things you want just forthe sake of minimalism.

I'm just saying, if you want all the alpha keys minus the number row, then even your design doesn't include both the ;: and '" keys, just one of the two

And the small enter doesn't bother me because it will be where the '" key usually is, and I can hit that 1x no problem.
Having a mod key its original length, and requiring stabs, isn't the best idea, trust me, especially for the backspace.

40% is pretty much the definition of minimalism. If you aren't getting rid of things that could still be fine in another layer, then you might as well get a 60% or a 75%
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:44:59 by Pacifist »

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:44:42 »
I know it doesn't, but I don't use ;: enough for it to be worthwhile to me to have. You did make a decent point though and I might do a bit of revising.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:47:29 »
I know it doesn't, but I don't use ;: enough for it to be worthwhile to me to have. You did make a decent point though and I might do a bit of revising.

A good designs take time. I've screwed around with keyboard editor enough that I can spot some key issues

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:21:17 »
Sadly after a bunch of screwing around, I can't come up with anything that keeps a decent sized enter.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:22:59 »
Sadly after a bunch of screwing around, I can't come up with anything that keeps a decent sized enter.

Can you hit ;: or '" accurately? If so, you will get used to the layout quite quickly. Spend around 30 minutes to an hour once you get it, and most of the time you will adapt successfully

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:47:02 »

What's wrong with simply adding a column to the left of enter in the design I already created? Then you still get 1.75 left shift and enter. I don't like the aesthetic of Pacifist's design, because of the incorrect offset of the spacebar in relation to standard ANSI, the small enter key, and the way the columns align on the bottom right. Just my personal feeling on the latter, though.

Can you hit ;: or '" accurately? If so, you will get used to the layout quite quickly. Spend around 30 minutes to an hour once you get it, and most of the time you will adapt successfully

Have you spent 30 mins with my original design? You would adapt to it easily. ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:48:38 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bearcat

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:19:11 »
I came up with  this one, which shouldn't be too impossible to get caps for.  Also i get thumb keys and don't need to worry about stabs... :thumb: At this point, it's a pretty different animal though

65349-0

JD, i had a lot of trouble adapting to the missing '" on my other build.  This way i'm sure i'll have trouble adapting to a missing ;  :confused:

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:49:55 »
Too many keys on the bottom row for me :o I got bored though and made both a 29% and 34%, maybe I'll make one just for ****s 'n giggles.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:47:37 »
Too many keys on the bottom row for me :o I got bored though and made both a 29% and 34%, maybe I'll make one just for ****s 'n giggles.

29% How does that even work?

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:15:46 »
Heavy usage of a function layer, but I don't think it would be that horrible. As in backspace is fn+p, esc is fn+q, so on. I'll post the layout once I'm home.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:23:33 »

What's wrong with simply adding a column to the left of enter in the design I already created? Then you still get 1.75 left shift and enter. I don't like the aesthetic of Pacifist's design, because of the incorrect offset of the spacebar in relation to standard ANSI, the small enter key, and the way the columns align on the bottom right. Just my personal feeling on the latter, though.

Have you spent 30 mins with my original design? You would adapt to it easily. ;)

Now that you mention it, I think I an adapt. I hit shift ' to get " anyways, so adjusting that to an Fn layer in L shouldn't be too hard

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:44:29 »
Alright, so this is what happens when I get bored...

34%
http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#QlWXY

29%
http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#H9oW6

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:46:29 »
Alright, so this is what happens when I get bored...

34%
http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#QlWXY

29%
http://ne0.cc/laygenV2/#H9oW6

29% Did you even try to put your thumb on second row? It hurts...... :-\ That is litterally the devil's keyboard

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:47:45 »
I kinda figured you would have to press space with your index fingers or something, sadly there is no other place to put the space and keep it 3 row :o

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:07:11 »
I kinda figured you would have to press space with your index fingers or something, sadly there is no other place to put the space and keep it 3 row :o

A 1 handed board maybe? Make it 4 rows but less collumns and do some fancy fn work

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:20:16 »
For a one handed, or smaller board, how about inventing something that has switches on both sides? You could use your thumb for modifiers and your other fingers for everything else?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:22:13 »

A 1 handed board maybe? Make it 4 rows but less collumns and do some fancy fn work

For a one handed, or smaller board, how about inventing something that has switches on both sides? You could use your thumb for modifiers and your other fingers for everything else?
I drew up a one handed keyboard a few weeks back. I'll make a digital mock-up if anyone is interested. It is somewhat off topic though.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:24:32 »

Hmmmmm.............

BRB making new board

65372-0

****ty paint drawing
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:28:34 by Pacifist »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:24:47 »
Half an ErgoDox?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:41:28 »
I think we just invented the ergodox, sort of.

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:42:04 »
New idea based off my 5 key osu! keyboard, 5 keys, each combination does a different thing!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:54:58 »
I've also been working on one. All 1x key except spacebar which is 2.25
65376-0
I want to make it to put inside a retro style keyboard computer along with a touchpad on the right and a tiny sbc motherboard inside.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:58:56 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:29:36 »
I've also been working on one. All 1x key except spacebar which is 2.25
(Attachment Link)
I want to make it to put inside a retro style keyboard computer along with a touchpad on the right and a tiny sbc motherboard inside.

You need this then...

in memoriam

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:32:08 »
So I finally found a use for my old razer lycosa :o
http://imgur.com/gCyPNZR
testing layouts :D

Offline bearcat

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 17:57:48 »
Ivan, you probably want to center the spacebar under the B key (or the middle of the GH keys, if you have a non-standard stagger).  Your spacebar is almost entirely under the left hand.  ...or maybe that's what you want?  :eek:

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:52:42 »
Indeed the TI99 and some other similar machines of that era were heavy inspiration for the idea. My spacebar positioning is good for me. It's right where I typically hit judging by wear on the key. I am pretty much a left only spacer, a habit I attribute to gaming much more than typing earlier on. The right Fn key is then in almost the perfect spot for my right thumb so I shouldn't have to reposition pretty much ever.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 00:14:14 »

(Attachment Link)

i really like this layout: one of the first 40% I have seen that can be used with dvorak.
http://ne0.cc/laygenV2#MH9qx

forget the TI 99, I've been quietly collecting the Cherry AT&T TDD devices and keyboards

http://imgur.com/a/joKEX
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 00:18:06 by dorkvader »

Offline adventurepoop

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 07:44:55 »

(Attachment Link)

i really like this layout: one of the first 40% I have seen that can be used with dvorak.
http://ne0.cc/laygenV2#MH9qx
Oh wow I didn't even take that into consideration :o neat!