Author Topic: Guide for modding HHKB w/ 55g domes?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline jmolino

• Some folks look for answers,others look for fights
Guide for modding HHKB w/ 55g domes?
« on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:15:32 »
Hi,

I've been searching for days for a post that shows how to mod a HHKB w/ 55g domes from a donor board but not having any luck...  If anyone has a link please share...or any info at all... BTW - here are 2 links I have found that are useful for modding an HHKB:

HHKB Dental Band Silence Mod:
http://imgur.com/a/gxpEi

Alternative Controller for HHKB:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12047.0

Thanks in advance for any help.

-John

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Guide for modding HHKB w/ 55g domes?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:18:55 »
Hi,

I've been searching for days for a post that shows how to mod a HHKB w/ 55g domes from a donor board but not having any luck...  If anyone has a link please share...or any info at all... BTW - here are 2 links I have found that are useful for modding an HHKB:

HHKB Dental Band Silence Mod:
http://imgur.com/a/gxpEi

Alternative Controller for HHKB:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=12047.0

Thanks in advance for any help.

-John

What kind of help are you looking for? I can guide you through the process. I just did it myself, but didn't document it.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jmolino

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:29:28 »
What kind of help are you looking for? I can guide you through the process. I just did it myself, but didn't document it.

So I have a RF87U 55g donor..... I'm wondering if I have to "cut" (i.e. with scissors) the domes individually, or will they just fit (or portions at least) on the HHKB.  Should I use glue to secure them to the HHKB?  Then, how about reassembly... is there a best practices way to line them up?

Thanks for your offer for help.  Any info at all is appreciated.  BTW i have done the silencing mod (dental bands) on my HHKB, so I'm familiar with the internals of at least this board).

--John

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:34:43 »

So I have a RF87U 55g donor..... I'm wondering if I have to "cut" (i.e. with scissors) the domes individually, or will they just fit (or portions at least) on the HHKB.  Should I use glue to secure them to the HHKB?  Then, how about reassembly... is there a best practices way to line them up?

Thanks for your offer for help.  Any info at all is appreciated.  BTW i have done the silencing mod (dental bands) on my HHKB, so I'm familiar with the internals of at least this board).

--John

The domes are pre-cut. So if you're not planning on replacing the domes in specific spots in the donor board, the "sheets" of domes in the 55g will fit in exactly where you took them from the HHKB. It's 100% pick up from the PCB, then place in the opposing board. Also, protip: If you want the domes to match up with the PCB perfectly, set the top plate/top case with the sliders into a position where the sliders are not depressed (ex. between two tables, in a vice, etc.) and set the domes on top of the corresponding sliders, and set the springs in the domes. Then it's as simple as screwing the pcb back on, and you're done.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jmolino

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:36:50 »

--John

The domes are pre-cut. So if you're not planning on replacing the domes in specific spots in the donor board, the "sheets" of domes in the 55g will fit in exactly where you took them from the HHKB. It's 100% pick up from the PCB, then place in the opposing board. Also, protip: If you want the domes to match up with the PCB perfectly, set the top plate/top case with the sliders into a position where the sliders are not depressed (ex. between two tables, in a vice, etc.) and set the domes on top of the corresponding sliders, and set the springs in the domes. Then it's as simple as screwing the pcb back on, and you're done.

AWESOME! Thanks for that tip!  Seems easy enough... Question..  do you have a link to a pic of which screws to remove to access the domes on a 87U ? I can't seem to find one... there are a lot of little arrows pointing to screws... are these the ones to remove? Or do I have to remove them all to remove the PCB from the steel plate?

Thanks again!

Offline jmolino

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:38:44 »
BTW - I would like to replace the 45g domes from the HHKB into the 87U so at least I have 2 usable KB's....

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:41:52 »
You will have to remove ALL of the screws on the RF to access the domes. Just remember while you're replacing them, the silver screws go where the circles are, and the black screws go where the arrows are. The silver screws go into the plate and hold the PCB on, while the black screws basically just tighten up all of the empty space so the domes do not slide around. And as for replacing the domes, I just meant as long as you weren't looking at specific keys being different weights (aka, arrows, Frow, mods) being 45g, then it's a direct replacement of domes.

Offline jmolino

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:44:13 »
You will have to remove ALL of the screws on the RF to access the domes. Just remember while you're replacing them, the silver screws go where the circles are, and the black screws go where the arrows are. The silver screws go into the plate and hold the PCB on, while the black screws basically just tighten up all of the empty space so the domes do not slide around. And as for replacing the domes, I just meant as long as you weren't looking at specific keys being different weights (aka, arrows, Frow, mods) being 45g, then it's a direct replacement of domes.

OK Cool - I'll give it a go right now!  Thanks!

Offline jmolino

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:46:49 »
hmmm do I have to remove the keycaps?  Since I'm not popping out the sliders seems like it might be unnecessary?...

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:48:21 »
hmmm do I have to remove the keycaps?  Since I'm not popping out the sliders seems like it might be unnecessary?...

You don't have to unless you're lubing the sliders or silencing.

Offline jmolino

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 01:23:41 »
Done!  Thanks Exitfire! I don't think I could have done it without your help!  Placing the board upside down (between 2 books) was the best thing I could have done in order to line up the cup rubber and the springs with the keys/PCB.  I had to do it 2 times, the first time I must have mis-lined up the Return key dome - because it was the only key not working.  Now they are all working perfectly!

So... I now have a 55g, silenced (dental-ring mod) HHKB2 that feels and sounds fantastic!

Next stop.....install the Teensy controller with the header I got from Hasu...(thanks Hasu!) and program in Colemak (I'm going to learn that this summer) and also try out SpiceBar's GuiFN all via hardware!....

Then...possibly....go for Bluetooth (not sure about that yet).

It's going to be tough to decide between this board and the ErgoDox I'm going to build next week....and then I have to check out Matias' Ergo Pro... which board will be "the one"?.....we shall see!

Anyways I'm typing too much, but the 55g's feel soooo nice!  They really ought to sell an HHKB w/ these built in.....

Peace!

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 23:02:39 »
Next stop.....install the Teensy controller with the header I got from Hasu...(thanks Hasu!) and program in Colemak (I'm going to learn that this summer) and also try out SpiceBar's GuiFN all via hardware!....

Looks like we are doing stuff backwards. I did the teensy+bluetooth and am writing guides for that and maybe I will do that 55g later :P

Feel free to contact me if you need any advice with the mods. I would be glad to try and help.

I got the bluetooth HHKB working. I just need to clean up the code and try to get it merged and to write up a guide for it. I'm actually not sure how much I can put into the guide, it's just "look at this picture and solder wires between all the parts as shown. You should already have a teensy and know how to program it from the other guide".

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 23:10:54 »
Done!  Thanks Exitfire! I don't think I could have done it without your help!  Placing the board upside down (between 2 books) was the best thing I could have done in order to line up the cup rubber and the springs with the keys/PCB.  I had to do it 2 times, the first time I must have mis-lined up the Return key dome - because it was the only key not working.  Now they are all working perfectly!

So... I now have a 55g, silenced (dental-ring mod) HHKB2 that feels and sounds fantastic!

It's going to be tough to decide between this board and the ErgoDox I'm going to build next week....and then I have to check out Matias' Ergo Pro... which board will be "the one"?.....we shall see!

Anyways I'm typing too much, but the 55g's feel soooo nice!  They really ought to sell an HHKB w/ these built in.....

Peace!

Missed this post! Glad to hear you got it done!

Offline jmolino

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 12:53:58 »
Hi Smasher,

Thanks... so do you think I should wait until you have the Bluetooth guide done before I install the Teensy controller?  (BY THE WAY - they sent me the Teensy ++ 2.0 hope that is ok)  - not only do I want Bluetooth, but I also want to program in another function layer....

Thanks,
John

Looks like we are doing stuff backwards. I did the teensy+bluetooth and am writing guides for that and maybe I will do that 55g later :P

Feel free to contact me if you need any advice with the mods. I would be glad to try and help.

I got the bluetooth HHKB working. I just need to clean up the code and try to get it merged and to write up a guide for it. I'm actually not sure how much I can put into the guide, it's just "look at this picture and solder wires between all the parts as shown. You should already have a teensy and know how to program it from the other guide".

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 17:34:03 »
You have to do the teensy first before you can add Bluetooth. It will be a "prerequisite" to that guide.

Teensy 2.0++ is fine you will just have to modify the pin out in code but people can help with that. Adding layers is the same for any TMK keyboard, so I am sure there are already some guises out there for it.

The only issue is it might be a little difficult to fit everything inside. Teensy+Bluesmirf+Battery+Charger takes up a bit of space inside the relatively small case. Good luck :)