Author Topic: Gutz’s Easy and Fun Jailhouse Mods  (Read 9388 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Gutz’s Easy and Fun Jailhouse Mods
« on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 07:49:22 »
Hello!

I would like to introduce my jailhouse mod to everyone. It is easy, inexpensive, quick and fairly standardized. You don’t need much skill for it.

I believe this is my single greatest contribution to geekhack. I’m happy, so I don’t have many other experiments to try out after this. This is the most silent switch mod for Cherry MX. It is very tactile. It feels great. The activation point is high. It is more responsive than other MX tactiles. It is also lighter because of the higher activation point. I consider it vastly superior to Topre. I don’t want to bother trying any other switch type after this. It’s perfect - my Endgame!

My mod has actually been around for months but I was worried that the orthodontic bands being used might break or move, so I wanted to test it before introducing to all geeks. After 6 months of about half use (ie I used other keyboards about half the time, which is still pretty decent usage because I use the keyboard a lot every day), I have found my mod still ok. In the meantime I perfected it and now I can say it is pretty reliable.

I was originally going to make a video, but didn’t have the right equipment. Then I wanted to take photos, but my phone has problems connecting to computer now. But since I can’t control myself and have been introducing jailhouse mods to everybody who bought from me, I decided I had no choice – better introduce the mod now so that people can benefit from it earlier.

For the sake of being cautious I would recommend that the mod only be used on a switch moddable plate or a PCB mounted plate. I have not tested it for my preferred 2 years, and do not know if the orthodontic bands will break over or after this timeframe.

Firstly, you need tactile clicky MX stems. Blue, white or green will do.

Then, you need this.
http://www.dentsply.com/en-ca/catalog/product.dir.html/Orthodontics/Elastomerics/Intraoral/Latex/Latex-Intraoral-Elastics/p/GAC-11-102-04.html

Please note the specs. H4 Elastics, 4mm, 3/16”, Heavy 4oz. Manufactured for Dentsply GAC International under the code ‘Switzerland’. It sells for just six bucks CONUS shipped. (I had to get mine at considerably higher unit cost, thank you Singapore government for making this the ‘best’ country in the world for expats.)

http://www.amazon.com/ORTHODONTIC-GAP-TEETH-BANDS-HEAVY/dp/B0086HTWH6
I somehow missed this ad the last time, but you can try it out and post your review here.
http://www.amazon.com/ORTHODONTIC-GAP-TEETH-BANDS-PACKS/dp/B00C7FOSOU/ref=pd_sim_bt_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=1H3JJT0XJT2A6VNQBHT1
$16 for pack of 3, 3 sizes to try out. Looks promising but I don’t need these anymore.

There are cheaper versions that I have not tried out. Such as these clear rings
http://www.amazon.com/Clear-16-4-5-Oz-Orthodontic/dp/B00A2YCR5K/ref=pd_sim_bt_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JDR87DG78640C38D5C6
Buy at your risk.

Regardless of what you buy, do not buy over 3/16”. The fit has to be precise.

Also, be mentally prepared to discard some (maybe 5%) of your bands. Due to the tolerances, sometimes a band won’t fit your stem well.

Loop the band over your stem. Don’t twist the band as it will affect fitment.

After all bands are placed, put in the springs. You should ‘screw’ or ‘twist’ the spring in. Make sure the spring is held firmly by the rubber bands so that when you hold up the stem by the stem top, the spring will not fall off. DO NOT GET LAZY AND PUT THE SPRING IN THE SWITCH HOUSING AND THE JAILHOUSED STEM ON TOP. THE MOD WILL NOT WORK.

After ensuring that spring is held by the bands, do a visual examination. If any part of the band is poking out, push it gently in with your fingernail. The tolerances are pretty tight, so if only a bit of rubber band it sticking out it will jam the stem mechanism when you actuate the key.

Now put the stem+spring into the switch mechanism. Drop the switch cover over them. I always drop the switch cover because I have to make sure that it doesn’t get caught by a bit of rubber band sticking out. If the cover gets caught, it means that when you are actually using the keyboard the stem will get caught during actuation and you don’t want that. If the cover can’t fall lightly into place, take the stem+spring out and gently press in the rubber bands so that they don’t stick out. Occasionally this doesn’t work because the band is slightly too thick to fit nicely, in which case you should just remove the orthodontic band and try another band.

If you are not using this mod on a switch moddable board, please make sure the switch is actuating smoothly before soldering! To avoid having to redo or adjust this mod in the future, I would strongly recommend a switch moddable keyboard.

There! You’re done! Enjoy your awesome and silent new jailhoused mods! Due to the higher actuation points, I recommend using heavier springs. You will never need to bottom out on these!

BTW if you guys are wondering why no photo – my damned Sony Xperia is showing ‘USB device malfunctioned’ everytime. I’ve tried reinstalling the USB port, restarting the computer, using other USB cables and other USB ports and no luck.

Shameless plugs:
I am selling the parts and well as some switches in hopes of promoting this mod!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62920.msg1474545#msg1474545
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 January 2015, 09:47:37 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Gutz’s Easy and Fun Jailhouse Mods
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 08:16:50 »
Thanks for the write up, too bad there's no pictures! I might have to try this but I do love my click....
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 14:06:06 »
Thanks Gutz, looking forward to giving this a go!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:09:03 »
Thanks for the write up, too bad there's no pictures! I might have to try this but I do love my click....

I love clicky switches too! but when you're living with roommates,  it's best to keep a "silent" keyboard around when they're asleep. I got a chance to try 45g jailhouse blues today and they really are quiet. The feel is like lubes ML or topre but different. I quite liked it.

If I make this for myself, I will take a whole bunch of pictures.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:24:29 »
Oh dam :D

I tried doing other methods, but the spring being compressed more and the PITA to make the jail part made me quit.

I'll be trying this out :thumb:

Offline MGH

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:34:10 »
OK I just did this mod (had extra 3/16 bands in a drawer) and while putting on the band was a bit hard with only hands (two tweezers would probably help) it has the same feeling as other jailhouse blues. But this is definitely the fastest of them all since the jail part is prefabricated :thumb:

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 03:17:23 »
Single greatest contribution... I haven't read the post and I'm excited!

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 03:24:45 »

OK, I'm a bit confused about where the spring goes in relation to the band... have you got any pictures? Having said that, it's a cool sounding mod, will try out on a test switch later.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 09:03:43 »

I love clicky switches too! but when you're living with roommates,  it's best to keep a "silent" keyboard around when they're asleep. I got a chance to try 45g jailhouse blues today and they really are quiet. The feel is like lubes ML or topre but different. I quite liked it.

If I make this for myself, I will take a whole bunch of pictures.

OK I just did this mod (had extra 3/16 bands in a drawer) and while putting on the band was a bit hard with only hands (two tweezers would probably help) it has the same feeling as other jailhouse blues. But this is definitely the fastest of them all since the jail part is prefabricated :thumb:

Oh dam :D

I tried doing other methods, but the spring being compressed more and the PITA to make the jail part made me quit.

I'll be trying this out :thumb:

OK, I'm a bit confused about where the spring goes in relation to the band... have you got any pictures? Having said that, it's a cool sounding mod, will try out on a test switch later.

To prevent compressing the spring, twist it in first as I said.

It seems nobody has gotten the hint: my phone is totally screwed up now and I really could use some geek advice how to un-malfunction my malfunctioning USB device so that I can transfer photos to my computer.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 09:29:23 »
Do Sony still use dodgy software to transfer files between phone and computer or does it show up as a removable disk the same as a USB stick?  There might be phone drivers to uninstall if the first.

If you have USB 2 and USB 3 (usually blue) ports try both.  Do other devices work in the ports?

Are there any different connection modes available on the phone that it could have been switched to?  If it's failing to be a USB modem that's not really an issue, just change it back.

If it has USB OTG you could test the phone end by connecting a keyboard - perhaps the device (phone) really has malfunctioned...

It's hard to help without knowing exactly what you have :(

In the mean time as a workaround you could e-mail yourself the pictures, or send them to the computer over bluetooth?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Gutz�s Easy and Fun Jailhouse Mods
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:37:24 »
Well I've just screwed up my MX blue tester...

Edit: It's alive, albeit with a bent spring. Not going to mod it any more though so I don't completely kill it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 10:40:23 by Dihedral »

Offline MGH

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 13:13:25 »
You just lightly twist the spring into the band. I'll post a writeup of my job once I desolder a board with blues and do a full mod  ;D

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 13:54:54 »

It seems nobody has gotten the hint: my phone is totally screwed up now and I really could use some geek advice how to un-malfunction my malfunctioning USB device so that I can transfer photos to my computer.

How about something like dropbox? I have a DB account just for pictures. It auto uploads photos to DB and they are accessible on my PC within a few seconds.

Offline jabbon

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:30:18 »
I was planning to sell my QFR with blues due to the noise but I think I will first try the Jailhouse mod...however I didn't understand most of the procedure so please, make sure that once you fix your phone you take some pics of the process!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:55:33 »
"my single greatest contribution to geekhack"... and not a single picture  :'(

There's no way that I can understand your mod without a photo. Also because I've never seen a cherry switch :-) I should receive them in a couple of days....

Why do you need usb to upload the pictures? Click on the image, it should give you the possibility to share via drive, facebook etc.. or you can install apps like airdroid, to connect to your phone via wifi without any setup.

Offline MGH

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 12:44:35 »
"my single greatest contribution to geekhack"... and not a single picture  :'(

There's no way that I can understand your mod without a photo. Also because I've never seen a cherry switch :-) I should receive them in a couple of days....

Why do you need usb to upload the pictures? Click on the image, it should give you the possibility to share via drive, facebook etc.. or you can install apps like airdroid, to connect to your phone via wifi without any setup.
I'll get photos out this weekend, working on a jig to use gravity to hold the white clicker down when putting on the rings

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 09:15:22 »
thank you for your dedication to this topic

Offline wholphin

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 13:15:26 »
BTW if you guys are wondering why no photo – my damned Sony Xperia is showing ‘USB device malfunctioned’ everytime. I’ve tried reinstalling the USB port, restarting the computer, using other USB cables and other USB ports and no luck.

If you mean this 'USB device malfunctioned' error is showing in Windows, try running msinfo32 (from the run dialog) and expand the Components tree and click 'Problem Devices' - as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314464
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline MGH

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 14:20:39 »
Did some experimenting, thick lube makes the bump bigger but also brings out some noise. Thin lube makes it smoother and quieter. I like it more with thin lube.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 22:17:28 »

If you mean this 'USB device malfunctioned' error is showing in Windows, try running msinfo32 (from the run dialog) and expand the Components tree and click 'Problem Devices' - as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314464

Already tried - for win7 computer (your link is wrong). No deal.

Just got myself another phone over the weekend but I really suck at such things/ not really doing it that well. And my old phone's memory seems to be screwed up now so I'll probably not be able to use the memory card/ can't find old photos even though I can take new photos.

Is it possible for these tiny cards to have hard disk crash? I though they don't have moving parts.

As for 'dedication to the topic', Gianni, I've already given 10+ people free samples and sold to another 8-10 people with the request that they post reviews after they've used for a while. You don't need pictures all the time; I'm describing a simple mod and not an entire customized keycap set.

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 13:23:33 »
Hey all,

Berserk was kind enough to hook me up with some of his Jailhouse blues and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Previously trying OEM Blues and disliking them for their noise I switched to Reds as I preferred the linearity. I'd tried browns in the past but hated them as they felt quite gritty, like sand was trapped in the center.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about these Jailhouse blues but I wanted to try something new and, like I said, I'm pleasantly surprised.

They feel like no other OEM switch I've tried before. They have a satisfyingly nostalgic feel, reminiscent of the old faithful Lycosa I had back in the day.
The bump/actuation is truly instant and triggers a muscle memory to not have to travel any further. This leads to much less bottoming out, although, even if you do bottom out it seems the modification is also acting as a noise (but not feel) dampener.
The one thing I hated about using O-rings was the squishy/unsatisfying bottoming out. This mod does not have this occurring and has it's own kind of bottoming satisfaction.

The installation was a breeze. After working out exactly how to disassemble and work with plate mounted switches (first time) I found it even easier to hot swap and remedy any switches that didn't feel quite right. Working out which ones aren't quite right is easy enough to do before installation and you will quickly work out what to feel for to ensure you're installing a good switch.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this.
I'm unsure whether this would be a good switch to use for gaming, but, for typing it's very nice.

Pros:
Very satisfying typing feeling.
Actuation is almost reminiscent of old rubber domes but much more satisfying.
Mod acts as a noise dampener
Has it's own bottoming out feeling, also dampened sound.
Cost effective mod if you already have blues available.

Cons:
Occasionally having to adjust mod to actuate fluently. You won't have to do this after installation. Only whilst installing.
You might not like them?

Sorry I didn't get to take any pictures. My phone isn't very good with the lighting in the house.

Anyways, thanks again, Berserk!
I'll be trying some gaming on these tonight and perhaps I'll make the change on my daily driver also.

Cheers,
Woody

UPDATE. Rather than making a new post.

So, I personally dislike these for gaming. I much prefer the linearity and uninterrupted actuation of reds. However, this will completely come down to preference.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 February 2015, 17:24:51 by MrexD »
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 11:43:39 »
Hey all,

Berserk was kind enough to hook me up with some of his Jailhouse blues and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Previously trying OEM Blues and disliking them for their noise I switched to Reds as I preferred the linearity. I'd tried browns in the past but hated them as they felt quite gritty, like sand was trapped in the center.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about these Jailhouse blues but I wanted to try something new and, like I said, I'm pleasantly surprised.

They feel like no other OEM switch I've tried before. They have a satisfyingly nostalgic feel, reminiscent of the old faithful Lycosa I had back in the day.
The bump/actuation is truly instant and triggers a muscle memory to not have to travel any further. This leads to much less bottoming out, although, even if you do bottom out it seems the modification is also acting as a noise (but not feel) dampener.
The one thing I hated about using O-rings was the squishy/unsatisfying bottoming out. This mod does not have this occurring and has it's own kind of bottoming satisfaction.

The installation was a breeze. After working out exactly how to disassemble and work with plate mounted switches (first time) I found it even easier to hot swap and remedy any switches that didn't feel quite right. Working out which ones aren't quite right is easy enough to do before installation and you will quickly work out what to feel for to ensure you're installing a good switch.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this.
I'm unsure whether this would be a good switch to use for gaming, but, for typing it's very nice.

Pros:
Very satisfying typing feeling.
Actuation is almost reminiscent of old rubber domes but much more satisfying.
Mod acts as a noise dampener
Has it's own bottoming out feeling, also dampened sound.
Cost effective mod if you already have blues available.

Cons:
Occasionally having to adjust mod to actuate fluently. You won't have to do this after installation. Only whilst installing.
You might not like them?

Sorry I didn't get to take any pictures. My phone isn't very good with the lighting in the house.

Anyways, thanks again, Berserk!
I'll be trying some gaming on these tonight and perhaps I'll make the change on my daily driver also.

Cheers,
Woody

UPDATE. Rather than making a new post.

So, I personally dislike these for gaming. I much prefer the linearity and uninterrupted actuation of reds. However, this will completely come down to preference.

Thanks for the review. These are clearly very interesting switches.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 17:20:12 »
I was thinking of buying a number pad to mod with these switches, but the cost of a number pad and ~20 switches would put me well on my way to buying a TKL board.  And after rereading the OP, I see you recommend heavier springs.  How well does this mod work with stock Cherry MX Blue springs?  I want to do this on the cheap but not at the cost of reliable functionality.  This would be my work keyboard.  What spring weight would you recommend?  And does it matter if the dental bands are latex or latex-free?  Can anyone recommend a decent, cheap TKL board that doesn't require desoldering the switches to open them?  I was looking at a CM QFR or Stealth, but it looks like the switches can't be opened while they are mounted in the plate.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 17:59:13 »
How well does this mod work with stock Cherry MX Blue springs?  I want to do this on the cheap but not at the cost of reliable functionality.  This would be my work keyboard.  What spring weight would you recommend?
Springs are a matter of taste - this mod doesn't affect the rebound force required so stock Blue springs will work perfectly.  I just had a play with a thick PBT shift key and a Brown spring (light) and that seemed to work fine too.  If you want the keys to be heavier you can always swap them later :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline spoonypirate

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 14:57:48 »
My wife hates the blue switches in my Quickfire TKL. I had some clears left over from a GON I made, but I only had enough to cover the alphas (not even numbers). I wanted to try this out, but I wanted it to be a weekend project so I got bands from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTAIOXW, which had Prime shipping.

They work great! My wife thought I just replaced all the switches to clears. These blues are still a little lighter than the clears, which is great for my pinky fingers.