Author Topic: Full size RK9000 to TKL mod log  (Read 4345 times)

Offline bovineblitz

Full size RK9000 to TKL mod log
« on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 14:33:41 »
I've been typing on Das keyboards with browns for years but I'm pretty new to messing around with keyboards, building things that look decent, and even soldering in general, so keep that in mind in this thread.  My big goal is to wind up with something functional and reasonably good looking, I'm not too worried if it has some character in the end.  So, the story is that I acquired an RK9000 from a family member that succumbed to the USB port issue.  Naturally I took it apart to resolder, but there was all this dark green goop in the way and a couple of the ring terminals weren't even in place.  I tried to hardwire it, but could not for the life of me get a computer to recognize the keyboard, even after checking traces and jumping over a loose LED.  After a few frustrating days of trying to fix it, I decided it's dead, and at least I have some really nice brown switches I can save.

Being recently bitten by the mech bug, I've been eyeing TKL boards for my limited space at work.  Then I had an epiphany - why not slice up the Rosewill plate and try to make my own?  I'd been intrigued by the idea of building something custom, and here's my chance to give it a shot without too much financial investment (ha, right...).  Plus, the red plate is pretty nice and will look pretty slick with those Gateron dark gray/beige caps that have been tempting me for a couple weeks now...

I started some of the work before joining GH, so here's the current state of affairs:

Desoldering was a bit easier than I'd thought, and it feels pretty cool to have a big cupful of switches laying around, haha.  New experience for me.

I cut the plate with a dremel, which was really the wrong tool for the job but it got it done well enough.  A little more grinding should even it out pretty nicely, I'm just doing a few minutes of work on the plate every day since it's so loud and taxing.  I'm more concerned with the TKL portion than the numpad so I'm not all that concerned with the rough state of the latter, though I may try to figure something out with it later on.  The plan I have in mind is to leave off the top half of the case, so I figure I can either touch the plate up with a little paint later on, or try to grind the paint off in a straight line across that end of it for some character.

Putting the plate back in the case, it looks pretty sleek like that if you ask me.  The next step is to dremel off the numpad portion and plastic tabs in the front, grind them smooth, and pick up some 7/16" spacers to hold the plate in using the built in plastic "standoff" type thingy in the bottom of the case.  In playing with it a bit, I may want to find a way to dampen the sound once I get to the final build portion... maybe some foam or just something to prevent the plate from clattering against the case, but I'm not even sure if that'll be an issue yet.

The view from the back is always my favorite ;)

And now the ugly part:

Here's the PCB, really bad shape, and you can see some of the dark green goop still on there.  The conditon is partially due to it being weird when I started, and largely because I soldered and desoldered a lot of connections way too many times without a lot of experience (and then getting angry and just ripping some USB wires off without desoldering, haha).  Painful looking, I know.  The controller may be in perfectly good shape, but I'm not interested in messing with it anymore.  The yellow wire was necessary to skip a loose LED I didn't want to bother with, and the black one snaking around was an attempt to bridge a broken trace.  I guess the best thing that happened here is that I got a lot of experience in dealing with soldering tiny pins and learned some nuances I hadn't really had to deal with before.  Let's just pretend you never saw that PCB... deal?

Aha!  Just as I was about to submit this the mailman brought me some goodies!

Big bag of PCB-mount clears harvested from an old cherry board came in the mail (mechmarket is dangerous!) along with a small microUSB breakout board that I think i'll try to integrate into the build... was thinking a 90 degree microUSB cord coming out the right side would be a nice solution, particularly given my workspace.  The clears feel great, I'm quite happy with them, but the switch style is a bit stiff for me so they're getting ergo'd.  I already have a teensy 2.0 and a big bag of diodes, so now I'm just waiting on some 58g springs from Originative and I'll be just about ready to push forward!
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 June 2015, 14:37:40 by bovineblitz »
Magicforce 68 with speed coppers
Custom TKL with ergo clears
Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues
In progress: Click-modded cream ALPS Neutrino build

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Full size RK9000 to TKL mod log
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 14:44:05 »
Thanks for deciding to share!

And I promise I won't hold that mess of a PCB against you. :p
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 15:03:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:26:46 by alienman82 »

Offline nova779

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 16:58:27 »
Good work so far, sorry if I missed it but what are you going to so for the controller?

Offline bovineblitz

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 19:31:58 »
Good work so far, sorry if I missed it but what are you going to so for the controller?

Thanks! I've got a Teensy 2.0 for the controller.  It's definitely a lot teensier than I expected.
Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 10:34:51 »
Are you going to direct hand wire this? It seems that the PCB isn't in a condition where you can just solder leads to a teensy anymore. I've always had fantasies of cutting apart preexisting keyboards to make my own, but the idea of doing so much wiring up was quite intimidating.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline bovineblitz

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 11:41:26 »
Are you going to direct hand wire this? It seems that the PCB isn't in a condition where you can just solder leads to a teensy anymore. I've always had fantasies of cutting apart preexisting keyboards to make my own, but the idea of doing so much wiring up was quite intimidating.

Yeah that's the plan, the PCB is definitely screwed.  Even when it was more intact with the traces all checked out it wasn't working.  Not having done it yet, wiring it up seems more tedious than difficult to me, we'll see what I think once I get rolling on it.  I'll report back with progress.
Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues

Offline bovineblitz

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 11:09:24 »
I got more time to work on this in the past few days.  I did a little more grinding and sanding and got the plate more or less straight.

Next, I put the Originative 58g springs into the clear switches, popped them into the board, and took a picture to attempt to paint match at Lowe's.  An app on my phone called the color of the plate "Sunset Red", and I found a paint made by Olympic called "Sunset Skyline" that seemed to match really well.  I should probably get a better-suited paint for this, but for $2 and change I don't mind if it doesn't work out.  Turned out just about perfect color-wise, though just trying to sand and paint stainless doesn't work that well.  However, I say good enough!

Next came the fun task of soldering on diodes.  So many diodes.  I got caught up in it and didn't take a picture until I'd put some of the rows on too.

Of course, I'd realize later that I'd put the diodes on backwards... yeah.  I swear I referenced a billion images and I still got it wrong?  I know I can just flip the rows/columns in the firmware, but I'm not very comfortable with the available options other than the Easy AVR method.  Another issue I ran into is that I ran out of solder and tried to use this solder that came with some sort of kit, the stuff was atrocious.  I had to stop and wait until I could get some more.  So based on a recommendation somewhere I picked up some Kester 44 60/40, and this stuff is like magic.  No wonder I added so much damage to the PCB with the solder I was using before.

Done!  So proud.  So innocent.

At this point I tried to program the board and obviously failed, and after messing around for way too long realized that the issue was the diodes.  So, I ripped them all out.  I didn't take any pictures until I was done because I was pretty angry at this point.  I decided that rather than try to rebend all the diodes I'd just shorten them and use copper wire ripped out of an old TV coax cable, which worked out quite well and added a little heft.

As I was dealing with this, my Teensy order arrived so I wired it up with some ribbon cable.  Looks pretty decent for a first time if I do say so myself!

So now I could program it, easy. Of course, one column is misbehaving badly and activating most of the keys in the respective row, so after trying to find the short for over an hour and finding nothing, I just decided to redo the wire to the column.  Seemed to fix it!

Alright, now all that was left was to fix up the bottom case.  I traced the size of the plate onto it and cut through the plastic with a dremel, it was a lot easier than I expected to keep it accurate, and a little grinding lined it up really well..  I sawed off the front tabs with a hacksaw, this time not perfectly of course - cut a little deep in the middle.  But, after some shaping with heavy sandpaper and then sanding with ridiculously fine sandpaper it looks pretty good, and I'll have a wrist rest there for the most part anyways.    The case also needed some tabs that supported the PCB snapped out of it, it was easy to do with pliers.  Again I kinda did all of this in my anger over the diodes, so no pics of this part, pretty self-explanatory though.  I found some aluminum threaded posts at the big box store so just used those to hold the case together after drilling out the post holes in the case a little wider, threw some packaging tape around them so they don't short out anything and they're working pretty well.  I just sanded the tops to help them hold a bit of paint, but they actually look pretty cool as paint starts chipping off.

A little paint to touch up, then threw on the original keycaps to see how it looks:

Pretty solid!  I'm waiting on the Gateron keycaps to make it nicer.  Oh, and the arrows are using numpad keys because my lady friend is using the arrows on a foot keyboard while her wrists recover from surgery.  I'm definitely happy with the look!  The paint color is almost a perfect match too, as you can see in the next pic.

Color might be a perfect match if I could lay it on thicker, but I think that'll promote peeling.  For now I just have a USB cable running out the side, I have a breakout board somewhere but I can't find it... the more I work on this project the less organized I am.  Plus I have a couple more projects going making a big mess.

Glued on some feet, front ones are original, back ones are from a ridiculously old Apple IIe 5.25" floppy drive that was getting thrown away, they're the perfect height.

Glory shot!  Low profile, no top case, and looks pretty good for my limited skills and first go-round.  You can see the imperfect cutting at the front of the case here.  Other than that and the lack of a side, it looks pretty professional.

Feels good typing on it right now, a little stiffer than I'd anticipated.  They feel a bit stiffer than Browns which is a little surprising, but I probably have to wear in the springs a bit.  A couple times I've run into the fourth row going haywire with repeated T's and such, but I think it was just the row shorting out and I (hopefully) figured out the issue.

Feels really good to have taken what I once would have thrown away and turn it into my first TKL, first custom switches, and first real teensy board!  All in all, a pretty good board came out of it, and it's important practice for when my Neutrino kit arrives.  GH what are you doing to me, you beautiful creature!
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2015, 14:56:22 by bovineblitz »
Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 11:13:00 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:22:36 by alienman82 »

Offline bovineblitz

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 11:18:15 »
Hell yeah, really digging the clears thanks for the hookup  :thumb:
Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues

Offline kernel

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 11:35:23 »
-
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 September 2023, 07:30:26 by kernel »

Offline neverused

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 12:02:16 »
awesome first job!

Offline bovineblitz

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 16:40:49 »
Some DSA blanks came in the mail today, looking pretty good!

Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues

Offline BigTinz

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 15:10:25 »
Any pics of what it looked like when you just took the top cover off?

I assume the controller is exposed above the numpad, and that you did have to de-solder to remove the metal plate from the switches, right?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 15:22:08 »

I assume the controller is exposed above the numpad, and that you did have to de-solder to remove the metal plate from the switches, right?

You can see the typical rosewill controller here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39146.msg905680#msg905680 it just sits in the sockets and you just pull it out.

And yes you would have to desolder the switches to remove the plate.

Offline bovineblitz

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 17:45:12 »

I didn't take any pics of that, but you can imagine it pretty well by looking at the pic I have with a few switches in the plate sitting in the bottom case.  It just has a PCB underneath and switches still on.

And yeah the controller is where you're assuming, and I had to desolder all the switches from the PCB to get them off the plate.
Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 18:16:00 »
Good work!

Are you going to get the dremmel out again?  You have another side piece just waiting to be stuck on, though if your office door is the right end of the room no-one will see it's missing anyway :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline bovineblitz

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 16:25:18 »
Good work!

Are you going to get the dremmel out again?  You have another side piece just waiting to be stuck on, though if your office door is the right end of the room no-one will see it's missing anyway :))

Ha I thought about htat, but I think it'd look really ghetto if I tried to glue it on there.  Was thinking about cutting off the other side.
Das Model S
TKL with Outemu blues