Author Topic: My first attempt at sculpting keycaps  (Read 4141 times)

Offline CrankyCat

My first attempt at sculpting keycaps
« on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 08:39:29 »
Hey Guys!

I've been interested in mechanical keyboards and keycaps for a little while now, and I have recently attempted to make my own artisans. I have finished some clay models and would like to share them with you  :)

136260-0

136262-1
Leech

136264-2
Lurker

136266-3
Chameleon

Thanks for taking a look, any and all feedback would be welcomed :)

(P.s. I have additional photos of the models above if you would like to see more at different angles etc, as well as photos from some test resin and silicone casting of blank keys.)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: My first attempt at sculpting keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 08:46:00 »
You call yourself "CrankyCat" but have no cat keycaps?  :))

I'm really liking the leech, although I think they are all really cool. I'd be very interested in seeing all available photos, if you're willing to share them.  :thumb:

Offline CrankyCat

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 08:56:02 »
Thank you, I'm glad you like them! Currently working on a cat design and I'll be sure to upload some more photos today :)

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 08:56:31 »
Thank you, I'm glad you like them! Currently working on a cat design and I'll be sure to upload some more photos today :)

Looking forward to it!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:00:06 »
Ideas are cool but I think they're too big.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:03:42 »

To expand on this, they look too tall IMO.

The sculpts are great, but a lot of people prefer caps that are close to or at cap profile, rather than very tall caps.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:05:11 »

The sculpts are great, but a lot of people prefer caps that are close to or at cap profile, rather than very tall caps.

I think the tall caps are good for those with SA keysets (and judging by how well they do on Massdrop, that's a lot of people).

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:07:00 »

I think the tall caps are good for those with SA keysets (and judging by how well they do on Massdrop, that's a lot of people).

Agreed, but to a point. They shouldn't be much taller than SA caps, but IMO that's almost too tall.

Everyone's different though, so people will prefer what they prefer

Offline CrankyCat

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:15:18 »
Here is a selection of views for each design, as well as a group hopefully giving a bit more context on the size of them, and an early resin test.

136273-0

136277-1

136275-2
Slight defect on the top, working on a new tester now.

Offline biocalves

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 12:00:17 »
These look great, but looking at the last set of pictures do agree they may be a little bit tall. Dig all the designs though, especially the leech.

Offline CrankyCat

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 03:14:05 »
Thanks for all of the feedback, I'll be reworking them to make them shorter and should have an updated leech model today. More resin tests of current versions coming soon too :)

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 03:34:47 »
I'm loving the leech design. Gives you the opportunity to do some great colorways for the 2 character design.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 09:35:20 »
I'm really digging the chameleon. Seems like they are a little on the tall side tbh
Chris Schammert

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 10:12:47 »
nice job! keep it up
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline daftendire

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 11:10:23 »
chameleon is my favorite out of the bunch

Offline CrankyCat

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 12:04:16 »
Quick update; I have been reworking the Leech model to make it shorter as well as adding some definition and details. Not yet finished but I'll post more once it is.

136372-0

136374-1

136376-2

136378-3

136380-4

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 12:09:34 »
Whoa, that browline definition :)
Chris Schammert

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 12:09:57 »
Really creative designs. I like the leech idea a lot. What type of clay are you working with? You definitely seem like you have some sculpting skills that will help as you come up with more designs.

Offline CrankyCat

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 12:21:08 »
Really creative designs. I like the leech idea a lot. What type of clay are you working with? You definitely seem like you have some sculpting skills that will help as you come up with more designs.

Thank you :) I'm working with some standard modelling clay from my local crafts shop, I haven't had many problems with it so far. Its quite easy to work with when both wet and dry.

136382-0

Offline CrankyCat

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 12:33:34 »
Hey Guys! Small update time, I have just finished the final Leech design and made a cast of it and tried a few things out with it such as sanding and applying paint, ill link the pictures below. Working on a new cast at the moment as some of the inner details didn't come out quite right. I'll be updating again soon once my current cast has finished and I have refined the finished outcome :)

Offline Lohup

• Lohup Custom Cables
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:33:31 »
Thanks for sharing your process. You've got a lot of potential as an artisan keycap maker. I've seen other artisans made through moulding a keycap and then extending it with the design. Any ideas on how the crafting clay approach will compare in terms of durability? Is there any risk the artisan extension slip or crumble?

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 04:35:25 »
This stuff is looking pretty cool! :)

Offline CrankyCat

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 08:50:46 »
Thanks for sharing your process. You've got a lot of potential as an artisan keycap maker. I've seen other artisans made through moulding a keycap and then extending it with the design. Any ideas on how the crafting clay approach will compare in terms of durability? Is there any risk the artisan extension slip or crumble?

Thank you for your feedback :) In terms of the clay durability, I've had no issues so far with the finished model, as I generally work with the clay at different hardnesses. The process I use firstly is to use the clay after dipping it in water to generate the overall form I want the artisan to have. From there I let it dry for 10 minutes or so and begin to work in basic details as this is at the point where the clay wont crumble or move as much. After heating thoughtfully with a hair dryer, I'll begin to sand away and engrave details and then add or take away more clay if I feel its needed.

So in short, no issues of slip or crumble as I work with the clay at various stages to best avoid these.

I once experienced an issue with crumbling with an early prototype while casting it in silicone; however from there I learned to ensure that the clay has been heat treated and hardened thoroughly before casting. I also take an extra bit of precaution and apply a clear gloss to the finished model to ensure it does not get damaged in silicone as the current product I use has a 24 cure time.

I hope this answers your question, any more you may have I'll be happy to answer.