Author Topic: A Noob's Trials with Capcraft - (1st) Small Sale this week!  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
16 June 2016

INTRO

Yo, wassup guys. Let me start with a short lil intro. I've been here since August of last year, and what really got me into the community were the artisan caps on here. I took a sculpting class my freshman year of college ~ 3 years ago, so I have some experience with mold making and sculpting.
Originally, I bought sculpting stuff to make some keycap(s), but was swamped with school last semester. It's summer now, and I'm just chillin at home playing OW, so I decided to buy mold and resin material. I know there are a ton of other guides out there, with definite better quality and more experience; hopefully my noob experiments are something others can follow for their own first time :) If anything, this will be a log of my steps to make resin-casted sculpts. I'll be glad to answer any questions as best as I can using my experience, so feel free to ask! LEGGO!

WHAT IS DA BOY MAKING?

Since I'm not doing sculpting anymore on the caps, trying to skip a step for my initial trials, I used 2 plain PBT Cherry-profile caps. I wanted to take a leap and go for an actual project for this, so I plan on making a QWER/DF set since I feed on League all day every day. So 2 keys, one r2 and another r3.

MAKING THE 2-PART MOLD

The rubber material used to make the mold can be seen above on the left ^. To begin, I started with these cardboard cylindrical boxes bought at Hobby Lobby. These are the moldboxes.

I put a flat layer of plasticine on the bottom of the moldboxes so the keycaps are firm on the bottom - apply some pressure. After that, just mix your 2-part rubber material following the instructions provided. Before pouring, I let the mixture sit for 4 minutes so gas could rise. I filled to about an inch above the cap.

After drying, I had to cut open the cardboard boxes to loosen it up. I cut it all the way down on opposing sides, and pryed the cardboard until I could pull the rubber with my fingers. After pulling the cap  out, I cut away any excess rubber to clean the edges.
I put plasticine in the underside of the cap to make the final sculpt more full - I don't really like the lines under keycaps anyway.
I cleaned away any lil bits of plasticine that may have stuck onto the rubber, and placed the sticks of Q-tips onto the corners as seen to act as sprues for the mold. I used a dab of hot glue, not a fat glob.

I then put the rubber molds back into the cardboard cylinders, and sealed the cut sides with masking tape. I mixed more rubber, and poured as before ~

After pulling it out of the box, I pulled out the sprues.
What it looks like when cut in half: (I forgot to put some type of separating chemical, so I had to manually cut the rubber all the way around). Hopefully there are no problems from this when making the casts. There seems to be a tight seal, though.

All together:

So the molds came out pretty well, no visible bubbles or defects. Hopefully the cutting didn't mess anything up. I'll update with resin casting pictures soon! I woke up today, mixing some colors and pouring, so I'll see how it looks later tonight.

Thanks for stopping by and checking this out  :cool:
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 July 2016, 20:33:47 by Reigning Hell »

Offline Reigning Hell

Re: A Noob's Trials with Capcraft - Summer Chillin arts & crafts 8)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 16:32:38 »
Oh yeah, BIG thanks to all other artists, hobbyists, enthusiasts, all ya'll, who have already shared their ideas and work! Many have laid the ground work for not only me, but many others to explore different interests. From buying a keyboard online to buying pigments @ a hobby - pretty cool stuff to e here right now

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 14:04:07 »
17 June 2016

2-Part Mold (cont. & finished)

A few more close up shots of the stem.

FIRST RESIN CASTING TRIALS

So yesterday, I mixed some colors using green food coloring and a white pigment colorant. I put some green and white together into the mixed 2-part resin to get a jade-like color, and then mixed in some more green food coloring - but not mixing all the way to get the dark specks of dye. I then let it sit for a few minutes to lose some bubbles. If this works, this will be the colorway I use for the QWER set.

Result Photos from yesterday's first cast:

The main trouble I ran into was a SLOW AF pour into the molds from the sprues. This was due to many reasons I think: I poured resin into both holes, not allowing for adequate airflow within the mold, & I did not have a wider top at the sprue for resin pouring, taking up a lot of time. This caused the above shown cap to be not complete, and the other mold didn't even produce anything useful.

Today, I ****ed up again and only realized that one of the holes in the molds are for air flow and not for pouring  :'( :'( Haha its funny to me, that it took me so long to connect the dots. 

So I have a few questions about the cast. From looking at the stem in the cast, ^ it looks as if the resin didn't go all the way down the stem right? Also the resin was sticky to the touch and slightly maleable, so am I to assume I didn't do equal 1:1 mixing

Today's curing:

Oh yeah, I started to make a R1 mold this morning so I can make dem Esc keys ~
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 14:07:29 by Reigning Hell »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 14:09:53 »
You're definitely gonna want a runner on the stem, especially if you're not doing pressure, otherwise you're gonna risk a lot of bubbles.

Also, when pouring, make sure that it's a constant stream. Stopping/starting again can and will introduce bubbles into the resin.

Lastly, when you make your next silicon mold, make sure you have some sort of key system, so that way everything lines up and locks into place.

Keep it up, digging the progress so far!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 14:12:39 by dgneo »

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 14:25:41 »
Thanks! The mold for the R1 key will have a lock system, I remembered to do it this time. But the way I cut the two halves of each mold, They do lock in with each other somewhat so there was no leaking/excess.

I think the thing that is going to give me **** is the pouring; the sprues seem a bit too thin for the rather viscous resin to constantly pour through.

What do you mean by a runner on the stem? Wouldn't the q-tip stick be too big?

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 20:24:16 »
18 June 2016

NEW COLORS

Ayeeee, so change of plans! Here's a lil summ summ for those who are following!

I'm planning on holding off on the food coloring; I think because it is water-based, it caused the resin to take longer to cure (some parts didn't even harden up). So luckily, I was able to find an oil painting kit for the low while shopping yesterday, and used some to try to see how it'll come out.

Using a maroon color and some opaque white colorant , I got this raspberry-like color. Letting them dry now.

Some concluding thoughts so far:
  • No bubbles in the rubber molds, so I'll continue to buy this material from Amazing
  • Similarily, the resin material, when taking care with slow mixing, yields relatively low bubbles. This is probably due to the resin's long curing time

Will be back with updates on the maroon caps soon!! 8)

Offline pinkbatman

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 16:10:51 »
I've been using the same resin kit and have the same problem, keys are sticky and soft. I have a set right now that I am using that I ended up clear coating, but you can feel how soft they are underneath. I dump my extra resin in an old cup and it hardens great, wonder if curing in the mold is hurting it. Would be nice if they included specs to mix by weight.

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 18:26:04 »
^ Hey, thanks for sharing - we have the same struggle. I'll try out doing a second coat of resin, but I'll lose the "PBT texture. And I also thought it might be due to curing within the mold, because I run a test cure in a 1-part mold every time, and that cures waaaaaayy quicker than the 2-parts mold.
I'm starting to decide whether working with this resin is worth the experiment and the LONG cure times, or if I should just move to another resin material.

So you clear coated with some more resin right?

Offline pinkbatman

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 21:37:52 »
Spray can automotive clear coat, 2-3 heavy coats. Might order some new resin tonight. Also used some Smooth-Cast 300 which works amazing, but only comes in opaque as far as I know.

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 22:02:54 »
Spray can automotive clear coat, 2-3 heavy coats. Might order some new resin tonight. Also used some Smooth-Cast 300 which works amazing, but only comes in opaque as far as I know.

Thanks, I'll try out a coating product soon on some sticky caps. Yesterday, I measured out the 1:1 mixture based on mass, not volume, and the results were better. I'm going to pay close attention and write down how long I mix, how much colorant I add, etc.

Does the smooth cast cure a lot better than the Amazing?I'm thinking of selling some of my mech stuff tomorrow to buy some 327!

Offline pinkbatman

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 01:18:28 »
Does the smooth cast cure a lot better than the Amazing?I'm thinking of selling some of my mech stuff tomorrow to buy some 327!

The smooth on is great, it's really thin so it flows into the molds nice, it hardens really fast though, I get about 4 pours from a mix before it starts to cure.

Just did a pour of the Amazing and plan to let it set for a few days, made sure to mix A&B separately for a few minutes, and then a few minutes on the mix, will keep you posted if any of that helped.

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 18:04:01 »

27 June 2016

WASD sets

So I ended up making a new mold following DOOM's video, with 2 R1 and the WASD cluster, but the stems for the R1s were messed up. So I'm just trying to make as much usable WASD sets as I can. There's some small bubbles here and there, but they don't look half bad  :p Just needs some more sanding

I call this color Viscera. I can recreate the color pretty closely, so I'll make a few of these.

Future plans: Buy new resin. Most likely Smooth On 327. My dumb ass bought Smooth On 325,which cures in 2 mins - the worst option I could've bought. I was too excited buying it on amazon, and didn't even notice at the time. I'm gonna finish this clear resin, that cures 24+ hrs, in the meantime.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 00:20:14 »

27 June 2016

WASD sets

So I ended up making a new mold following DOOM's video, with 2 R1 and the WASD cluster, but the stems for the R1s were messed up. So I'm just trying to make as much usable WASD sets as I can. There's some small bubbles here and there, but they don't look half bad  :p Just needs some more sanding

I call this color Viscera. I can recreate the color pretty closely, so I'll make a few of these.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Future plans: Buy new resin. Most likely Smooth On 327. My dumb ass bought Smooth On 325,which cures in 2 mins - the worst option I could've bought. I was too excited buying it on amazon, and didn't even notice at the time. I'm gonna finish this clear resin, that cures 24+ hrs, in the meantime.
Those are some really cute blanks man!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 01:54:45 »
Congrats, must be a great feeling when you pop out your first useable cap :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 10:24:17 »
Split the difference, and get 326. You'll get almost 10 minutes of pot life and still be able to de mold in a few hours. 327 is great if you need longer but you'll be twiddling your thubs fo-ev-va

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 11:58:40 »

27 June 2016

WASD sets

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Those are some really cute blanks man!

Thanks! cute is what I aim for  ;)

Congrats, must be a great feeling when you pop out your first useable cap :)
Yeah it really is! Jut getting one usable, nice Esc or set makes all of the cost and time worth it for me. Much more enjoyable making them than dropping some cash on a few artisans

Split the difference, and get 326. You'll get almost 10 minutes of pot life and still be able to de mold in a few hours. 327 is great if you need longer but you'll be twiddling your thubs fo-ev-va

Fasho, I'm gonna check out all options. I would imagine, when having a pressure pot, the 326 works great  :'(

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 21:30:04 »

2 July 2016

MORE WASD SETS

I was able to pop out a couple more usable sets. The green didn't cure correctly, and is gummy, but still works fine - I just think of it as a pr0 gam3r accessories for the grip jafeel  ;D ? There's still some small bubbles, like a visible one on the Blue W.

Synthesis Green

Copper Sulfate Blue

The 3 sets together: Viscera, Synthesis, and Copper Sulfate Blue

Although these don't look the best, They actually have a lower travel time than the adjacent Cherry profile caps I used as the master, so they feel better when gaming like on OW and CSGO for me  :p

I might give these away soon, soley to share these because I'm anxious to have my work in other people's hands. But these aren't to my standard, maybeeee the Viscera set.

I'm gonna keep making more, just experimenting with color and technique stlll. 

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 20:33:06 »

11 July 2016

WE DID IT FAM, FIRST SALE SOON

SNEAK PEAK OF THE (VERY SMALL) SALE COMING UP. I'm going to Mexico for 2 weeks, so I wanted to finished these up before I left. More photos and pictures will come tonight!

ps: can someone tell me whether or not I can start a sale thread in the Artisan Services subforum without contacting mods? Thanks  ;D

Offline Epic

Re: A Noob's Trials with Capcraft - (1st) Small Sale this week!
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 23:27:34 »
Dank sale starting at a dank time baby!  :p

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 01:04:30 »

11 July 2016

WE DID IT FAM, FIRST SALE SOON

SNEAK PEAK OF THE (VERY SMALL) SALE COMING UP. I'm going to Mexico for 2 weeks, so I wanted to finished these up before I left. More photos and pictures will come tonight!

Show Image

ps: can someone tell me whether or not I can start a sale thread in the Artisan Services subforum without contacting mods? Thanks  ;D
Those blue and green blanks fit my 2 new boards pretty well. Hmm why must you tempt me?! :D

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 16:17:33 »
Hmmm, my sale thread over in the artisan services sub hasn't been approved. I might just update info here later today.

But I plan on making the sale a 12-hour entry; just comment on the thread for which color you would like to enter for, and I will pick someone at random per set. The 12 hours is so I can mail them off Thursday if I receive shipping info from individuals. If I don't do it Thursday, I will have to wait until 8/1 to ship out.

They will cost no more than $20 shipped per set

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 16:20:35 »
WASD Gamer Sets

There are only 5 sets available in total, each unique and handmade. These took a lot of hours curing and sanding, so only 5 were able to made before the mold broke. Because I did  not use a vacuum chamber or pressure pot, there are some some small visible bubbles only on the underside of the cap, throughout the sets.

Inconsistent curing lead to 3 different texture types. They work just fine as any other, they just have a bit more grip to them. The 3 different types of textures to the gamer sets - Gummy, Semi-Gummy, and Solid. I will post a video of them tomorrow.

Copper Sulfate Blue (Semi-Gummy)

Synthesis Green (Gummy)

Solid State Gray (Solid)

Gram Stain Purple (Semi-Gummy)

Plumbus Pink (Gummy)

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2016, 16:32:09 by Reigning Hell »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 16:40:58 »
That blue one looks edible.
Heck, they all look edible.

Offline Reigning Hell

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 16:45:50 »
^ Dude the green is so nice and squishy - they're like candy. The Gummy sets are flexible, but return to their shape