Author Topic: List which switches you have tried and your rating 1-10 of the switch?  (Read 45441 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: List which switches you have tried and your rating 1-10 of the switch?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 00:37:36 »
Topre: 8/10 - I enjoy typing on Topre. Very tactle and satisfying feeling. Unfortunately I have the variable weight Realforce. I'd like to try the 45g or 55g, or the HHKB.
MX Brown: 4/10 - Really scratchy, not a nice tactile feeling. Do not like.
MX Ergo Clear: 8.5/10 - Really like these. I use 62g springs with some lube. I love typing on this keyboard. I like it a little bit more than my Topre.
MX Red: 6/10 - Not bad. They were a tad too soft to my liking.
MX Black: 7/10 - I like. Still like the tactile feeling better than the linears. But not bad.
MX Blue: 5/10 - Gross.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 02:27:26 »
I prefer "clicky" switches because I'm a writer not a coder/gamer, and I find linear switches introduce far too many errors and tactile "non-clicky" switches feel "mushy" to me while audible switches are more "crisp". I also don't have to worry about annoying others with the noise.

Cherry MX Black: 5/10, I don't care for linear but I like the heavier resistance in these. I use them for macro keypads, not typing.
Cherry MX Blue: 7/10, feels pleasantly crisp but light enough that I accidentally actuate them when resting my fingers.
Cherry MX Brown: 1/10, feels like nondescript mush, absolutely hate them.
Cherry MX Green: 8/10, was my favorite for a long time until I discovered Gateron. Fixes the actuation issue of Blues.
Cherry MX Red: 3/10, lighter than Blacks makes these useless to me. Also a little gritty.
Gateron Blue: 8/10, still too light for a flat keyboard, but in curved keywells they work perfectly. Slightly smoother feel than Cherry.
Gateron Green: 9/10, the closest thing to perfection I've tried yet. Heavy, clicky, smooth. These will be in my next flat keyboard.
Rubber-dome: 1/10, feels like nondescript mush.
Scissor-switch (SP4 type cover): 6/10, has a nice crisp feel but not enough travel for my typing style.
Sounds like you should give the Model M a try, I think it'd be right up your street ;) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 02:29:45 »
Are the Topre's on the NovaTouch really much worse than on a Realforce? They're both plate mounted Topre so I would assume they feel similar.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 02:35:22 »
Model M - or F, clickyer.

I compared novatouch lubed/silenced with hhkb/realforce at an meeting not long ago, for me it was way nicer, less rattle
Winter is coming.

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 02:53:02 »
I prefer "clicky" switches because I'm a writer not a coder/gamer, and I find linear switches introduce far too many errors and tactile "non-clicky" switches feel "mushy" to me while audible switches are more "crisp". I also don't have to worry about annoying others with the noise.

Cherry MX Black: 5/10, I don't care for linear but I like the heavier resistance in these. I use them for macro keypads, not typing.
Cherry MX Blue: 7/10, feels pleasantly crisp but light enough that I accidentally actuate them when resting my fingers.
Cherry MX Green: 8/10, was my favorite for a long time until I discovered Gateron. Fixes the actuation issue of Blues.
Cherry MX Red: 3/10, lighter than Blacks makes these useless to me. Also a little gritty.
Gateron Blue: 8/10, still too light for a flat keyboard, but in curved keywells they work perfectly. Slightly smoother feel than Cherry.
Gateron Green: 9/10, the closest thing to perfection I've tried yet. Heavy, clicky, smooth. These will be in my next flat keyboard.
Scissor-switch (SP4 type cover): 6/10, has a nice crisp feel but not enough travel for my typing style.
Sounds like you should give the Model M a try, I think it'd be right up your street ;) .

Yeah, I've been wanting to try buckling-spring for a while now. I may order a Unicomp in the next week or two as a birthday present to myself, but I need to do some reading on Model F/M variants and figure out what I'm doing.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 03:27:15 »
Chryos, if you ever get a Type Heaven it might be up your alley. Full sized and $100 less than the hhkb.
I'd love one! I've tried Topre but they wouldn't donate one to me for a review, sadly :)) .

As it comes to mind i don't think iv'e ever really seen Topre directly give out a board for review not even to some of the largest Youtubers around.  The very small few i have seen given out to review were generally sent via a third party like NCIX or etc.
Tsk, tsk, tsk! They need to reprioritse! 8)

I've seen the Novatouch in a few reviews; surely CM would say yes to some extra cheap marketing

My original verdict still stands. Model F is No.1 (until TIL RF/HHKB2?)
Good point, I'll ask them :) .

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 03:30:01 »
Oh yes Chryos, a review of the NovaTouch would be amazing from you  :thumb:

Offline HeeCh2ei

• qdrw
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 08:27:31 »
Are the Topre's on the NovaTouch really much worse than on a Realforce? They're both plate mounted Topre so I would assume they feel similar.

All difference between them is in the sliders. The conspiracy of Topre did not let the Cooler Master to make the slider stems as good as in the other Topre boards, so NT sound different on the upstroke.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2016, 09:06:53 by HeeCh2ei »
Cherry is the Maker, Topre is the God

FC660C             FC750R (reds)     FC750R (blues)

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 01:38:00 »
1.  Which switches have you tried long enough to form an opinion of?

MX Brown, MX Clear, MX Green, Topre 45g, Topre 55g, Alps SKCM Cream Damped

A. Rate each of them on a 1-10 scale (1 being awful 10 being godlike)

• Topre 55g: 8
  • Topre 45g: 6
  • MX Green: 5
  • Alps SKCM Cream Damped: 5
  • MX Brown: 3
  • MX Clear: 2

B. If you so desire put a very brief reasoning as to why you feel the way you do about each switch you rated.

Topre 55g: The 55g switch definitely hits the "goldilocks" weight for me (not too heavy that it fatigues my arms, but not soft enough so that the weight of my fingers actuate the switch). The tactility of the switch is quite pleasurable too; the most of the 55g is just required to make the dome collapse, but then the switch falls to the bottom without further force.

Topre 45g: A pleasant switch with all the same characteristics as above, but ultimately too light which has the unfortunate side effect of making the switch feel cheap at times, not to mention all the accidental keypresses.

MX Green: This switches very heavy actuation of 80g only allows me to use it in short bursts (1-2h), but it's one of the funnest switches to type on. It's loud, so it's obvious when you actuate it, and the click is very satisfying.

Alps SKCM Cream Damped: In some ways this switch feels like a damped, tactile version of MX Green (it has a heavy actuation force of 70g), but the actuation point is much closer to the top, which kind of makes it Topre-esque. Typing on this switch all day is a chore, I just wish it was a bit lighter.

MX Brown: Oh the gross, scratchy MX Brown. It's far too light (tons of accidental keypresses) and the switch is not pleasurable. The tactile bump is close to nonexistent.

MX Clear: The other side of the gross, scratchy MX tactile coin. Where the MX Brown is too light the MX Clear is too heavy, and where the MX Brown's tactile bump is nonexistent the MX Clear is overly dramatic. I've rated this one point below the MX Brown because there's nothing I loathe more than the MX Clear's rise in force after actuation.

Offline shortround

• Scoot jockey, nomad trash.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 20:07:07 »

Can you tell me what you mean by "flat keyboard?"

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 20:34:07 »

I think he or she meant that they prefer Gateron Blues in keyboards like the Kinesis Advantage? That one has a curved key well afaik

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 20:36:29 »

I think he or she meant that they prefer Gateron Blues in keyboards like the Kinesis Advantage? That one has a curved key well afaik

Yes, exactly. On normal keyboards I tend to briefly rest my fingers on top of the keys sometimes, and blue switches are light enough that this can cause accidental actuation. In the Kinesis, the curved keywells avoid that problem and as a result the blue switches are more agreeable.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 22:39:10 »
Cherry Browns - 3/10
Cherry Blues - 4/10
Cherry Clears - 7/10
Cherry Greens - 8/10
Cherry Reds - 1/10
Zealios 78g - 8/10
Gateron Greens - 8/10

Alps SKCM Black - 4/10

Topre 45g - 6/10
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 02:47:27 »
Cherry Browns - 3/10
Cherry Blues - 4/10
Cherry Clears - 7/10
Cherry Greens - 8/10
Cherry Reds - 1/10
Zealios 78g - 8/10
Gateron Greens - 8/10

Alps SKCM Black - 4/10

Topre 45g - 6/10

Have to ask since i noticed you rated Cherry and Gateron Greens exactly the same,does that mean you don't find Gaterons any smoother than Cherry personally?
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 02:59:06 »
Cherry Blue - 6/10
Cherry Black - 8/10
Cherry Browns - 5/10
Cherry Clears - 7/10
Cherry Greens - 3/10
Cherry Reds - 1/10
Cherry Grays - 6/10
Cherry Ergo clears 62g - 8.5/10
Cherry Ergo Clears 62g lubed - 9/10
Cherry Ergo Grays 62g lubed - 9/20

Gateron Blacks - 8/10
Gateron Browns -3/10
Geteron Ergo Blacks 62g lubed - 9/10

Vintage Cherry Clears - 2/10
Vintage Cherry Browns - 9/10

type-s topre - 10/10
HHKB topre - 8/10
rf55g topre - 9/10
rf45g topre - 8.5/10
fc660c topre - 8.5/10
novatouch topre - .5/10

alps whichever I tried - 0/10

Buckling ssk - 9.5/10

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 June 2016, 03:03:39 by appleonama »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 03:35:42 »
I have to agree with Chryos, I think Alps are the best sounding switches. They give such a nice thick n' full thock, even on linears. I prefer the sound over my Model M sometimes.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 20:26:52 »
Cherry Browns - 3/10
Cherry Blues - 4/10
Cherry Clears - 7/10
Cherry Greens - 8/10
Cherry Reds - 1/10
Zealios 78g - 8/10
Gateron Greens - 8/10

Alps SKCM Black - 4/10

Topre 45g - 6/10

Have to ask since i noticed you rated Cherry and Gateron Greens exactly the same,does that mean you don't find Gaterons any smoother than Cherry personally?

No, they are smoother but I prefer the sound of Cherry Greens, so they cancel out :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Suruga Devil

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 13:36:52 »
Any more people who've tried Hall Effect Switches want to post a review of them? I'm immensely curious.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 15:22:06 »
Any more people who've tried Hall Effect Switches want to post a review of them? I'm immensely curious.
chyros has 2

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 15:34:46 »
chyros has 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37tdDoC7rGA

:D

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 15:45:20 »
1. MX blue/black/red/clear/brown/ergo clear, Topre 45g, Zealios 62-65-67g
MX black 3/10
MX red 4/10
Mx blue 5/10
mx brown 6/10
mx clear 4/10
mx ergo clear 8/10
topre 45 g 2/10
zealios 62g 10/10 (for games which require spamming (starcraft 2))
zealios 65g 10/10 (for typing)
zealios 67 9/10

not really interested in trying other switches, from what I gather they wouldn't be my cup of tea
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Wazazaby

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 17:15:52 »
MX Greens : 7/10, too heavy for me.
MX Blues : 8/10, good weight but not that smooth.
MX Clears : 6/10, not smooth at all and too heavy.
Topre (Novatouch) : 7/10 super cool to type on, but I dont like the sound.
Gateron Clears : 4/10, way too light but super smooth!
MX Reds, 7/10, linear smooth, nothing fancy.
Gateron Greens with lighter springs : 9/10, I like clicky switchs and this is the best I had so far, feels smooth and doesn't make that much noise.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 05:01:39 »
I'd like to change this up a bit, what about if we rate the switches based on what we're using it for? My opinion below is an example.

Model M Buckling Springs for typing: 9/10
Model M Buckling Springs for gaming: 4/10

MX Blues for typing: 6/10
MX Blues for gaming: 5/10

Kailh Reds for typing: 4.5/10
Kailh Reds for gaming: 7/10

SKCM White ALPS for typing: 7/10
SKCM White ALPS for gaming: 4.5/10

Matias Quiet Click for typing: 6.2/10
Matias Quiet Click for gaming: 6/10

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 06:45:57 »
I'd like to change this up a bit, what about if we rate the switches based on what we're using it for? My opinion below is an example.

Model M Buckling Springs for typing: 9/10
Model M Buckling Springs for gaming: 4/10

MX Blues for typing: 6/10
MX Blues for gaming: 5/10

Kailh Reds for typing: 4.5/10
Kailh Reds for gaming: 7/10

SKCM White ALPS for typing: 7/10
SKCM White ALPS for gaming: 4.5/10

Matias Quiet Click for typing: 6.2/10
Matias Quiet Click for gaming: 6/10

I sort of bear that in mind when rating them myself and my overall is a balance between the two.  Actually in my latest switch review video i listed both desperately than an overall at the end so it may make sense to do the same for this thread.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 12:07:52 »
IBM capacitive buckling spring (Model F) = 10.
Topre 55g silenced and lubed = 9
Topre 45g silenced and lubed = 8
IBM membrane buckling spring (Model M) = 7
Blue Alps = 6
White Alps = 5
Brown Alps = 4
Matias Click = 3
Matias Quiet = 2
Hi-Tek Space Invader = 1
Cherry mx and clones = 0

The features I value in a keyboard switch include excellent tactile or tactile + auditory feedback that coincides with actuation.

Offline drsauced

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 12:38:11 »
MX Brown: 8/10 - my favourite, light and snappy with PBT caps
MX Clear: 6/10 - crisper, but just too heavy for long term use
MX Blue: 2/10 - just not my thing, sometimes gloriously fun, but mostly not
MX Black: 6/10 - I do type better, but tiring
MX Vintage Black: 8/10 - buttery smooth, and slightly less tiring

'89 Model M - 6/10 - well used, but still very crispy
'93 Model M - 7/10 - NIB, brutally stiff and crispy

Topre 45g - 9/10 - the best damn rubber dome I've ever typed on

Dell L100 - 3/10 - had lots of these rubbers at work, not bad. High resistance at the top, then sudden give to the bottom
Logitech K120 - 3/10 - replacement for above, more consistent key weight, and the keys don't wobble

Apple Keyboard with Numpad - 3/10 - surprisingly good to type on, but then you realize you're typing on form over function
IBM T60 Scissor - 5/10 - thunk chunky, sometimes aggravating, but overall really good

That's all I've got so far. I'm looking forward to trying some newer switches, like Gaterons and Zealios.

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 June 2016, 14:54:35 by drsauced »
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 23:46:26 »

All difference between them is in the sliders. The conspiracy of Topre did not let the Cooler Master to make the slider stems as good as in the other Topre boards, so NT sound different on the upstroke.
Is the feel different too or is it just the sound?

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 00:32:59 »

Is the feel different too or is it just the sound?

feels quite different. much more rattly, and more key wobble so not as solid as other topre imo

Offline lancre

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 07:58:32 »
Alps SKCM Black (Dell AT102W) 6
Cherry MX Blue (QPad) 5
Cherry MX Red (Leopold 750) 4
Topre (Novatouch) 7
Rubber dome (HP office nonsense) 1
Topre (Realforce variable) 8

Realforce 104UW          Dell AT102W             NMB RT8255C+                   Omnikey Ultra-T

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 08:45:20 »
Gat Brown 6/10
Gateron linear Clear 6/10
Cherry Blue 5/10
Cherry Green 7/10
Cherry vintage black 8.5/10

45g topre 8/10
Lubed silenced 45g topre 9/10

Model M 7.5/10

Dampened Creams 6/10
Click modded Creams 8/10
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 16:26:35 by Moistgun »

Offline Nafs_asp

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:02:55 »
Switches I've tried (owned on a board for more than a week):

Cherry MX: Brown, Blue, Clear (stock).

Zealio: 67g, 78g

Ratings:
MX Brown: 4/10 - Springs are too light and not enough tactile feedback.
MX Blue: 5/10 - Better weighting on the springs than Brown but I'm not a fan of the audible click.
MX Clear: 9/10 - Stock Clears are my favorite switch so far. I find the weight to be ideal for me once they've broken in a little bit. If I changed weight for the spring it would probably be close to stock weight anyway, and at that point I don't see the need to do so. At some point I'd like to try ergo (or semi-ergo, lubed only) Clears. However, I don't mind the "scratchiness" of the stems that some people complain about, so I don't think lubed Clears would change my score by much.
67g Zealios: Tentative 7.5/10 - I like them so far, but find that I prefer MX Clears. I've only used these with SA keycaps, so I will need to test them with some other keycaps before giving a final score.
78g Zealios: Tentative 7.4/10 - These feel fairly close to the 67g's to me, but I ended up prefering the 67g's by a hair.

I've also tried most other Cherry switches with a switch tested, though this doesn't really give a full sense of how the switch would feel to type on, so I wont give a number score, but I'll give some general notes:

Linear switches: Out of Red, Black and Linear Grey, Black felt the nicest to me. Red was way too light, Grey was way too stiff, to the point where I'd say Linear Grey are probably unusable unless you have pretty large/heavy hands (for reference I'm 6' and wear a large size glove, but have narrow fingers).

Clicky: I think there should be something in between Blue and Green/White.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:47:53 »
Glass Keyboard -8/10 would rather type on a keyboard which has used heroin needles as keycaps.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 20:10:01 »
Glass Keyboard -8/10 would rather type on a keyboard which has used heroin needles as keycaps.

Like this one? They're so strange looking; plus it seems like they would bounce as you type. I don't know how I would feel about a keyboard trampoline.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 20:14:44 »
Think about what you just said.  I would definitely rather use a glass keyboard for the rest of my life.

Sent from my local payphone

Offline Zar7

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 20:52:19 »
CHERRY MX

MX Red 10/10

My personal favorite. Buttery smooth travel, and light to the touch. Gaming and typing are very efficient and enjoyable with these.
Takes a highly skilled typist to use this effectively. Sound signature is crisp and relatively quiet compared to others.
Top typing speed using this: 133WPM

MX Brown 8/10

My second favorite switch. Subtle touch of a tactile bump makes typing an enjoyable experience. Despite how it can easily adapt in a typing/gaming
environment, they feel sandy compared to the smooth Reds.
Top typing speed using this: 122WPM

MX Blue 6/10

Awesome switch for typing. Personally, I do not mind gaming with this, but others are easily annoyed by the click. In time, I began
to dislike the click sound as well. Currently, I do not have any MX Blue boards any more (all three has been sold).
Top typing speed using this: 127WPM

MX Black 3/10

Higher force, and it feels like your fingers are doing an intense workout. That is not the main issue. The main issue is they are super scratchy.
Top typing speed using this: 95WPM

MX Clears 3/10

Heavier than MX Browns. Feels good to type but for gaming it tires my fingers easily. Also did not like the sound very much.
Top typing speed using this: 121WPM

GATERONS

Gateron Red 5/10

Super smooth (even smoother than MX Reds). However, they lack the crisp and solid feel associated with Cherry MX Reds. A bit inconsistent too. 
Top typing speed using this: 98WPM

Gateron Clear 6/10

Super smooth and very light actuation. However, it is a tad bit too light for typing. Gaming on these feels like you have an accelerated motor in each
of your fingers.
Top typing speed using this: 101WPM

KAILH

Kailh Red 7/10

Quite smooth travel and is slightly heavier than MX Reds. Sometimes suffers from inconsistency, but apart from that, brilliant for gaming and typing.
Top typing speed using this: 124WPM

Kailh Brown 4/10

Feels sluggish and tactile bump feels weird.
Top typing speed using this: 94WPM

TOPRE

45g Topre 10/10

Pure goodness. Elegant feels. Just the right amount of smoothness and tactility.

55g Topre 8/10

Still great. Just a bit heavier.

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 21:07:33 »
Recently compared Gateron Blue vs. Gateron Green and Outemu Blue;

Gateron Blue - 8/10 pleasant feel but too light
Gateron Green - 9/10 Good weight but the click loses crispness
Outemu Blue - 9/10 Weight is similar to Gateron Blue, maybe a little heavier but definitely lighter than Gateron Green; has the most pleasant crisp/firm click of the three

I'm leaving the original Outemu Blues in my Teamwolf keyboard for now, and keeping the Gaterons to find a use later. I may do a heavier spring swap to the Outemus at some point when I have some time.

Offline lee+

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 06:54:41 »
Not knowing what everyone compares the switches they have tried with and knowing nothing about the keyboards the switches were in when giving them a rating, I'm not so sure how useful the ratings are.

BTW, does someone feel like entering the ratings into a database so that a report could be created?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 07:20:14 »
Not knowing what everyone compares the switches they have tried with and knowing nothing about the keyboards the switches were in when giving them a rating, I'm not so sure how useful the ratings are.

BTW, does someone feel like entering the ratings into a database so that a report could be created?
Precisely because of your first point I'd say the latter is pretty useless :p . A crappy switch might seem really nice to someone who hasn't tried any of the alternatives :p .

Offline lee+

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 12:15:37 »
I was assuming that information about the switches are compared with and which keyboards were used would be entered as well ...

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 13:18:50 »
Given people are listing what switches they have used enough to form an opinion of everyone can see each users overall experience which can explain quite a bit. 

Current Daily Driver/s

Offline dante

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 13:41:11 »
Too many switches [I've tried] to list so I'll stick to my top 2:

1. Various Rubberdome/chiclet/scissor switches from various keyboards.  I know I know "burn the heretic!"  Sorry... I'm currently typing on a HP KU-0901 tenkeyless that I've used for the longest out of all keyboard 'switch' types combined.  Sifo's appreciation of the DT35 will make me try one should a TKL variant become available.  BTW Topre does not feel like rubberdomes: They feel worse.  10/10.

2. SMK Monterey White.  When I first tried these I swore it was the highest quality rubberdome I've ever felt - but no they are mechanical;  completely underrated and under appreciated.  Once BlueNalgene's SMK compatible board is complete I shall decorate them with this switch. 12/10.

The only future switches I have on my radar are 35g PLUM, silent Gaterons, low profile Kailh.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 June 2016, 13:47:12 by dante »

Offline Phenix

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 13:55:18 »
Here are my ratings (so far)
IBM M 7/10 feels nice, sounds nice.
IBM F 9/10 - really nice clicking, feels great. Annoys anyone besides me.

Novatouch dental band+lubed 9/10 very quiet, but also nice sound.

mx red 3/10 way too light for me, always bottom out
mx black 5/10 better weighted, ok
mx clear 4/10 too stiff
mx brown 8/10 (nearly vintage ones) never bottomed out, so far quiet nice
Winter is coming.

Offline Moufinure

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 15:11:11 »
Cherry MX Black: 8/10, my first mech switch, and I liked it. It reminds me of this: http://www.20th.ch/SMT_Goupil_G3_1983.jpg a french-made computer which keyboard had MX Blacks.
Cherry MX Blue: 7/10, not bad but I can't bring them at work, my co-workers would kill me!
Cherry MX Brown: 8/10 I like the tactile bump and I can actually bring them at work without having my colleagues hate me (well, not really) :-)
Cherry MX Red: 6/10 light and easy switch, good!

Unicomp Buckling Spring: 7/10
Topre RF 105U: 4/10, What the ...! It feels exactly like a rubber dome! Can't stand it, despite the fact that I liked it a bit more than before.
Matias Click: 8/10 Actually one of my favorites, which I'm using right now!
2x Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MJ2 MX Blue FR ISO | Filco MJ2 MX Brown FR ISO | Topre RealForce 105UB | Unicomp BS | KBC Poker II MX Red | Cherry G80-3000 MX Black | Matias Click Pro

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 22:02:10 »
Topre:
45g HHKB: 9/10.  Love this keyboard
Novatouch: 7/10.  Stems make this not as good.  Might be better if I had it silenced by somebody.

Razer BW Green: 5/10.  Not a fan of the clicky, too soft.

MX:
Clears: 7/10.  I'm looking for a decent low priced TKL option here (come on KUL, start shipping stuff again) to use long term.
Blue: 2/10.  Noisy, not a fan
Browns: 5/10.  Mushy, but usable in a pinch.

Gateron Brown Varmilo is coming withing the week, I understand they feel in-between an MX Brown and an MX Clear.  Sure wish they had Clears still available.

RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 23:01:45 »
I'm currently using the gateron brown, quite liking them, I've had them for a couple of weeks, (actually almost 2mths, I think), use it at work.

also used the othemu brown, before I got my hands on the gaterons, comparatively the gateron browns are waaaaay smoother, and equal, at least to me. I used the othemu browns for also about 2-3mths. but it didn't work out for us.

I would rate the othemu browns 4, and the gateron browns 7.

I'm trying to get my hands on some zelios, and I cannot explain how excited I actually am but not excited about it costwise, a bag of gateron browns cost me about usd$35, but I think the zelios will be at least double that amount, and to add to that I don't exactly know what to do with the swapped out switches, (already have a bag of othemu browns).

plus I actually have a CM novatouch barebones coming end of next month thru the massdrop order. so maybe I should hold out on the zelios.  :-[

:'(

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 05:26:20 »
Adding a new switch

Matias Quiet Linear (used on a planck): feel quite nice to type on, I like the virtually completely noiselessness nature of them, feel slightly mushy when bottomed out. For games like OSU!mania and Stepmania they are currently my favourite. for typing they are a bit light for my taste. 7.5/10
TP4 fanboy

Offline ndakota79

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 07:35:07 »
Cherry MX Black: 3/10
Cherry MX Blue: 7/10
Cherry MX Brown: 6/10
Razer Green (Kailh): 7/10

Matias Quiet Click: 8/10
Topre 45g: 9/10
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 07:37:14 by ndakota79 »

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:39:32 »
Out of those I have here in my office right now:

Weighted, Silent Topre (RF): 8/10 (current daily driver, I guess feel will improve once fully broken in)
45G Silenced (Hypersphere) HHKB Topre: 8/10
Stock 55G Topre (RF): 10/10
Plate mounted Matias Quiet: 7/10
Plate mounted Cherry MX Blues: 8/10
Plate mounted MX Browns: 6/10
PCB mounted 62G Zealios: 7/10
Plate mounted Gateron MX Black: 8/10
Model M: 8/10
Model F (AT): 9/10
Amiga NMB Space Invaders (white linear): 9/10

Laptops:

MBP retina 15" 2014: 5/10
Powerbook 12" 2004: 8/10
MSI GS60 (Steelseries keyboard): 6/10
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:42:33 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Skywalker

• INFP
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:11:30 »
1. Which switches have you tried long enough to form an opinion of?

Cherry MX: Blue, Red, Brown
Topre: RF87U 45g
ALPS: Matias Quiet Click
Membrane: Key Tronic e06101

A. Rate each of them on a 1-10 scale (1 being awful 10 being godlike)

Blue: 4/10
Red: 3/10
Brown: 7/10
Topre: 9/10
Matias Quiet: 8/10
Key Tronic: 6/10

B. If you so desire put a very brief reasoning as to why you feel the way you do about each switch you rated.

Blue was cool at first but after a while the noise was just annoying.
Red feels way too weird after using anything with tactile feedback. Couldn't get used to it.
Brown is great, I get the tactile feedback of the blues without that annoying click. And I can use it at work without making too much noise.
Topre has a really nice bottom out feeling and is very smooth. The sound is pretty great too. I have been curious about the 55g switches but right now very satisfied with the 45g's.
Matias Quiet Click has a much better tactile feedback than the MX browns, in my opinion. Very satisfying to type on. Only problem with these switches is the quality control. I have used three different boards, each with multiple keys that chatter.
Key Tronic rubber dome switches are by far the best rubber dome switches I have used. They feel similar to Topre, and I actually like the sound more than the 45g Topre. But they are still a rubber dome, and that means you have to bottom out completely on every stroke and not all keys have the same quality since the boards are made cheaply. So I'd still take any mechanical over it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:32:17 by Skywalker »
WASD V2 - MX Browns | Topre Realforce 87UB 45g

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 09:24:48 »
HHKB: 10/10

No more needs to be said, I haven't used anything but my HHKB since I got it, and Topre since May.