Author Topic: ergodox and in-switch diodes  (Read 2093 times)

Offline gcb

ergodox and in-switch diodes
« on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 14:46:11 »
I finally got my mass drop ergo dox (after waiting for a second shippment for missing parts, which are still missing some ...sigh)

and i only now realized that i can't ignore the surface mount diodes and use the ones i have in the switches!

I noticed the board has holes for regular diodes, but they are far away from the switch. I could probably use the trhu-hole diodes out of the switch, But from my quick test here it seems they will get the in the way of the case. So if anyone did something similar, here is the question:

will trhu hole diodes work on the acrylic case?

OR: can i just put spacers instead of the acrylic layer that has the key holes? i doubt that layer adds any stability to typing anyway...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: ergodox and in-switch diodes
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 15:10:03 »
I used normal through-hole diodes with the litster's case and it worked, but scratched the acrylic a bit. Then I swapped the switches for ones with built-in diodes and there was no problem (except you have to either turn one half of the diodes, or recompile the firmware). I've switched to czarek's (FalbaTech) CNC-machined PVC case since then though.

Offline gcb

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:08:32 »
Why am i only hearing about falbatech now?!?!?! E$15 for a partially assembled boards was all i needed ... sigh.

Thought the acrylic case allows for easier customization i think.

Edit: they need a new photographer. All their pics, it is like staring at the sun!

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:18:02 »
I used in-switch diodes in my LH build. For the three switches w/ LED's you need to use external diodes, I put them under the board so they won't interfere w/ the plate. Note that the diodes will face the wrong direction for one side of the ErgoDox, you'll have to open the switches and turn them around.

Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline gcb

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:25:05 »
Ah! of course! i was being a moron!

the same 3 pads are for diodes.

for some reason when i looked at the board i assumed the top one was for leds or something.

Yeah, i can just just trhu hole. And thanks for the tip and picture about routing the 3 ones under the board! i will do the same!

...Now i just need to find a female USB-mini to use instead of the who-the-hell-still-use-that-besides-keyboard-junkies-USB-C. And then try to work some miracle to make it not feel as tall as it is.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:27:40 by gcb »