Author Topic: PBT vs ABS  (Read 3144 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

PBT vs ABS
« on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 16:50:09 »
I really prefer PBT keycaps.  I like the texture, the feeling of actuation, and the sound. However, as far as asthetics go, there are some really nice GMK caps.  I have never owned quality, thick, ABS before.  I would really like GMK Nord, Dracula, or Samurai, but I'm worried that I won't like the texture or sound.  Does the thicker ABS still smooth out and get that greasy feeling?  Does it still have that cheap, hollow, clacking sound?  Is there anyone who prefers ABS and if so, why?
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: PBT vs ABS
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 16:52:35 »
I'm not sure I can answer the first 2 questions, but from trying both PBT and ABS, I generally prefer a smoother feeling, while KAT/KAM do scratch that itch, most PBT has a "sandy" feeling almost which I don't really like so I stick to either ABS or smoother profiles

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 16:59:15 »
Pre-shined, new GMK is really nice to type on... unfortunately, it goes away in about a week for me. Becomes smooth and sad : (
PBT doesn't have the cheap hollow clacking sound; usually switch determine that sound.

I don't like ABS
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 18:23:51 »
Pre-shined, new GMK is really nice to type on... unfortunately, it goes away in about a week for me. Becomes smooth and sad : (
PBT doesn't have the cheap hollow clacking sound; usually switch determine that sound.

I don't like ABS

hello tree, new gmk is very nice, personally I think smoother shinier better, even though GMK is rough kinda, ABS makes it feel smooth which is nice

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 18:34:06 »
Then again, it could be that texture preference is just me being used to it. There was a time when I think I liked PBT, and ABS felt weird to touch

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 November 2021, 20:22:05 »

On a board with very cheap ABS, like the standard dell keyboard that shipped with every Dell purchase for like 10 years; it will have a very unpleasant sound.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 November 2021, 06:19:24 »
my gmk definitely does get that greasy feeling after a while, but a quick wipe fixes it.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 November 2021, 07:44:58 »
Texture is defined by the mold. There are completely shiny PBT keycaps, KAM glossy sets come to mind for example.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 November 2021, 08:28:02 »
Texture is defined by the mold. There are completely shiny PBT keycaps, KAM glossy sets come to mind for example.

Yes, and PBT wears a lot slower. Therefore textured ABS will not last as long as textured PBT as it wears down with finger oils

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!