Author Topic: CMStorm Rapid SI Review  (Read 10710 times)

Offline duzeyao

CMStorm Rapid SI Review
« on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:44:15 »
Hey guys I’m back! Now with CMStorm’s newest keyboard Rapid SI.

Just as you can see from its name, Rapid SI is an alternative version of Rapid S, which has been a very hot topic in the market. The difference between Rapid S and Rapid SI is simple: This new Rapid SI is the stealth illuminate version, which is very hard to find (I’ve failed to find a retail keyboard with down side leds on every key). CMStorm also brings black and white keysets of side printed transparent characters.

Although the keyboard seems to be very familiar with Rapid S, its PCB is very different. I’m told that it’s near one year since the first examples of this keyboard (and keysets) went out.

More

Rapid SI uses the same case as Rapid S. I always feel extremely satisfied when touching the surface of Rapid SI (and my Novatouch, they have the same feeling). CMStorm has improved the material of the surface it will have less fingerprints, compared to the old Quickfire Rapid, Quickfre Rapid XT etc.
I think the case will still get some fingerprints on it after several months’ usage though. I personally prefer the Cherry keyboards’ case.

The design of the case is great. With the narrow frames and curve lines on the back and side part of it, the keyboard feels clean and elegant. It uses micro-usb connection wire, which is not very common in keyboard market but still not hard to get.

More

This is the back of the keyboard, which has a lot of rubber feet to prevent the keyboard from sliding and a plastic label.

More

Yeah the keyboard is made in China, the same factory as Rapid S. I assume we can expect the same build quality from these two factories.
The keyboard uses cherry stabilizer. The cherry stabilizers CMStorm use has always been very different from ducky and cherry ones. They are a bit louder but very clean and clear, more like common costar stabilizers. The typing feeling of Rapid SI is good imo.

More

Without the keycaps we can see the white plate of the keyboard that makes the backlit effect really really cool. I think the plate is just painted white, not anodized or some fashion things lol.
And the downside leds.

More

These are Rapid SI with original keyset. Thanks to the white plate, the intensity of the white light is great and well-distributed. The white color is very pure too, better than the white light mixed by RGB leds.
CMStorm also gave me a white keyset with side printed stealth characters. Unlike the original black keycaps which you can always see the characters, the white keycaps’ characters are hidden until you illuminate them. The two keysets are both ABS but the black one feels more smooth.

More

From these pictures we can see the white keycaps have very good illuminate effect too. The white light reflected by white keycaps adds some special feeling to it.

Conclusion:
+Nice type feeling, the stabilizer feels very good too
+Side printed illuminate keycaps, which is never seen before
+Great illuminate effect thanks to the white plate
+Build quality is decent, just as Rapid S

-Lack of Backlit modes. Rapid SI only have breath backlit as special mode.
-ABS backlit keycaps get shine after some months’ usage
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 10:03:28 by duzeyao »
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
Re: CMStorm Rapid SI Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:55:27 »
Thats an awesome board!
The added theme of backlit side print keycaps is ingenious. I was looking for a set for my Ducky but as you stated, there arent any around. Hopefully, the Rapid SI keycaps motivates other keycap manufacturers to consider a similar theme.
Great board, great review and great pictures  :thumb:
Thanks for this!
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline duzeyao

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 10:07:06 »
Thats an awesome board!
The added theme of backlit side print keycaps is ingenious. I was looking for a set for my Ducky but as you stated, there arent any around. Hopefully, the Rapid SI keycaps motivates other keycap manufacturers to consider a similar theme.
Great board, great review and great pictures  :thumb:
Thanks for this!

Thank you and guess I should also thank the moderator that helped fixing the images and spamming threads.  :p
This keyboard is released in China already so I assume it will be available worldwide very soon so the keycaps won't be big problem.  :)
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline frostylove

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 16:17:08 »
Why are you so diao?
 ;D EC帮顶团路过。。。
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline jabbon

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 16:22:54 »
wow it looks neat!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 21:48:33 »
Side print backlight - sweet :)

Unfortunately it means that the LEDs are towards the lower side of the switch, making most backlight-friendly keycap sets useless as they expect the LED to be on the upper side of the switch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline just1n

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 12:17:26 »
Why are you so diao?
 ;D EC帮顶团路过。。。

I can not open the add-ons. Unseen pictures.

Offline baslo

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 03:35:07 »
when will this be available for purchase? any link? fell in love

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 06:32:26 »
The keyboard is bleeding!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 04:56:26 »