Author Topic: Leopold Black PBT Side Print (QFR / Blues)  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Lentron4000

Leopold Black PBT Side Print (QFR / Blues)
« on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 17:25:39 »
After a couple weeks of daily use, I felt a review was in order.

Ordering from widebasket was smooth and the package came well before the estimated arrival which was a bonus. Nice packaging, nothing loose or damaged etc.
The main thing I was concerned about was the sticking on the costar stabilized keys, something covered in a few other posts. I was prepared, but found sanding with 100 grit didn't seem to cover it. I wouldn't describe myself as the most patient dude but after a few rounds of sanding I debated getting the dremel out, but instead opted for the x-acto. After hacking off a few slices of PBT I re-sanded and got the troublesome right shift, left shift and enter feeling decent. The space bar on the other hand still has a slight cludge that isn't noticeable while typing. For the backspace, I just removed the stabilizer wire and got on with my life.

As for typing, it's a definite upgrade and the side print is a welcome aesthetic when compared the awful looking stock caps. I'm partial to the PBT on my Realforce but these feel a bit smoother to the touch which some may prefer.
With the slightly lower profile, the up arrow key dips just below the surface of the case when depressed. Another thing of note and I'm not sure if this related but the left alt and windows key don't bottom out with the same clack as the other keys, I assume because of the height of the key and the two switches being upside down (logo on the bottom). Seems there is a bit of a clearance issue. Lastly, the tone of the clack has changed slightly, not necessarily better to my ear, but different.

Overall, I would get another set in a heartbeat if it were for a keyboard with cherry stabilizers. I read a few accounts of people not needing to sand very much but I thought it was a bit excessive.
The angle of my dangle is inversely proportionate to the heat of my meat.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Leopold Black PBT Side Print (QFR / Blues)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:17:06 »
On the stabilizers I have found the Cherry type to be more mushy, and Costars to feel more like a non stabilized key, are you sure you are talking about Costars?

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:03:27 »
Thank you for your review! I am thinking about upgrading my QFR keycaps to PBT.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:04:14 »
Thank you for your review! I am thinking about upgrading my QFR keycaps to PBT.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Lentron4000

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 01:13:54 »
On the stabilizers I have found the Cherry type to be more mushy, and Costars to feel more like a non stabilized key, are you sure you are talking about Costars?

I wasn't really bringing the feel of Cherry stabs into the discussion. I just don't want to spend the time modifying some brand new keycaps, which I need to do with Costar and conceivably wouldn't have to with Cherry.
The angle of my dangle is inversely proportionate to the heat of my meat.