Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2772817 times)

Offline Daellin

Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #6050 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 23:17:05 »
How was your experience with kbdfans products and services?

I've had good experiencing when buying from them. I can't comment on their assembly services though, but I haven't heard bad things.

I'm currently using the NIU by KBDfans.
Show Image

ive been eyeing on NIU as well, how is it? good?

Yes, I'm very happy with it! It is my first ortholinear keyboard, so I can't really compare it to the Planck. I chose the full aluminum version and was actually expecting the aluminum base to be hollow, so I was planning to put some shelf liner to dampen the sound, but it turns out the bottom piece is actually a solid piece of aluminum and I don't think there would even be enough space for the shelf liner :P But yea, the solid aluminum base adds some really nice weight to the keyboard. Obviously, having the aluminum base means that I can't really take advantage of the RGB underglow, but that doesn't bother me. As for software, it uses QMK, so that's awesome. Overall, it's a great keyboard.
nice info on the base. been wondering on that too. never had an ortho so was thinking of givin NIU a shot.

From my experience the case had a bit of a hollow sound, and plus there was some pinging, albeit that could have been due to not lubing the springs. Though I still liked it.

Offline typo

« Reply #6051 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 00:45:25 »
What I do not understand. I like MX Clears as far as Cherry goes. I prefer the feel of Topre Cup Rubber but I prefer uniform 45g. 55G is kind of too stiff for me. I don't get this this because you are going to bottom out a Topre and it will not be more than it is rated. However I tend to push the Cherry about to the bottom and the Clears are not really heavy enough. I guess I just think Topre has a better feel and can be operated with a lighter touch if preferred. While retaining the same feel. It is not like Blues to Clears from Topre 45g to 55g I guess. I think that is why, if anyone knows better.....

My dream would be to get my current setup into an Aluminum CNC case. It is just aesthetic but still. I bet I could entice one of the Korean builders to build it with say, 5 or 10 grand? I have it but not entirely sure that is how I want to spend it anyways. Regardless the board was bashed too much, it is every bit a RealForce IMO. With the GMK set it is pretty snazzy me thinks. Still, an Aluminum case would take it to a different level.

One other thing. I do not know what profile these key caps are but one is from a different custom set and it does not "sit" like the others. It is my ESC key anyways, It is perhaps the heavier keys that really let it thwack which people complained a lack of.

Offline sebna

« Reply #6052 on: Sun, 10 June 2018, 10:46:26 »
Work: RF87u uni 45g stock
Home: Hyper-x Alloy FPS MX Red

Considering IBM model F TKL for home.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #6053 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 02:53:02 »
My dream would be to get my current setup into an Aluminum CNC case. It is just aesthetic but still. I bet I could entice one of the Korean builders to build it with say, 5 or 10 grand? I have it but not entirely sure that is how I want to spend it anyways. Regardless the board was bashed too much, it is every bit a RealForce IMO. With the GMK set it is pretty snazzy me thinks. Still, an Aluminum case would take it to a different level.

Maybe see if you're lucky enough to get a hold of a left-over Norbaforce case.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Naack

« Reply #6054 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 22:50:35 »
An Input Club Nightfox with Hako Trues and blank EnjoyPBT keycaps

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #6055 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 08:59:37 »
OTD The Cheat with 62g clears and ESA-3000HASRO caps

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #6056 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 17:28:19 »
OTD The Cheat with 62g clears and ESA-3000HASRO caps

Any pics?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #6057 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 17:59:14 »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #6058 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:03:02 »

Any pics?
sure

Show Image

Nice. What kind of 1u winkeys are you using? 
I use BSP 1u winkeys with my OG dyesubs, and they are basically a perfect match.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #6059 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:06:44 »

Nice. What kind of 1u winkeys are you using? 
I use BSP 1u winkeys with my OG dyesubs, and they are basically a perfect match.

Just using alot of caps from an alcatel mmk set, as you can see. here's another shot with what I was using before I put these on.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6060 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 13:55:42 »
Well, it's not the keyboard I am using, but the keyboard my brother will be, made this for his birthday.

Grey Tex TKL Aluminum Case
Blue anodized aluminum TKL plate(Phantom)
LFKeyboards TKL PCB
Adafruit USB Micro-B Breakout Board
NovelKeys BOX Royal Switches
PimpMyKeyboard DSA HC "GRANITE" PBT sublimated
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 13:58:26 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #6061 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 15:05:36 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6062 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 16:01:44 »
BTC 5140. One of the very best rubber domes out there, except that the right stabiliser is broken.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #6063 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 22:41:41 »
Show Image

Gorgeous!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6064 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 12:53:58 »
Not a super high quality image but I got this in yesterday. Varmilo VA87MR with Cherry MX Gray (linear) and white LEDs. Swapped out the case with my aluminum Titanium Gray one and then put swapped the keycaps with my Grass Valley VPE editing keycaps and black blanks.

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Zobeid Zuma

Clueboard Maximized
« Reply #6065 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 23:37:20 »

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/keeb/clueboard_max_01.jpg

Clueboard with "maximized" bottom row.  XDA keycap set from Novelkeys.  Kailh BOX Burnt Orange switches also from Novelkeys.  I put in a sheet of craft foam and a sheet of Sorbothan® to tame the hollow sound and make it feel super solid.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6066 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 23:46:24 »
Not a super high quality image but I got this in yesterday. Varmilo VA87MR with Cherry MX Gray (linear) and white LEDs. Swapped out the case with my aluminum Titanium Gray one and then put swapped the keycaps with my Grass Valley VPE editing keycaps and black blanks.

Show Image

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6067 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 10:07:50 »
Show Image

At least the keycaps actually serve a purpose, unlike the grab bag sets that seem so common now.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #6068 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 17:30:00 »
If I told anyone how much I spent on this (which isn't even a lot relative to setups here) I just don't think people would believe me.
But they'll never understand..

Offline kakan

« Reply #6069 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 17:56:50 »
Been changing between lubed gat browns and a restored apple IIGs with orange alps

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6070 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 21:44:49 »
If I told anyone how much I spent on this (which isn't even a lot relative to setups here) I just don't think people would believe me.
But they'll never understand..

Your table outshines your keyboard..

Love it.. !!

Offline pdaigle

« Reply #6071 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 19:55:12 »
Received my Oblivion keycaps from Massdrop this week:

198579-0

Offline ag36

« Reply #6072 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 20:06:01 »
"Industrial Model M" I've built. Unicomp case, early thick metal plate, fully screw modded, OG keycaps. Instead of putting the original label on the back I should've made my own one, brought parts without the original case.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline elitemav

« Reply #6073 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 23:29:47 »
Filco Majestouch 2 Multicam with Cherry MX blues.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6074 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 08:28:39 »
Received my Oblivion keycaps from Massdrop this week:

That is a truly beautiful set. I just wish the space bar was dark rather than light.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Karaso

« Reply #6075 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 09:01:21 »
I got many boards these days, but I'd love to use 360 Corsa most.

It has really amazing sound ;D

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #6076 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 19:40:32 »

and

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 19:42:12 by childofthehorn »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6077 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 20:31:22 »
Show Image

Show Image

and

Show Image

Love my oblivion set as well. I didn't get those special modifiers though, kind of wish I did. Looks better than I was expecting.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline mcmaxmcmc

« Reply #6078 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 22:24:01 »
Completely stock Ttesports Poseidon Z keyboard w/ Kailh blues from mid 2014, been using it pretty much everyday for 4 years since then.  Still using it.

I should get/build a new keyboard :P

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #6079 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 04:03:49 »
Pulled out the MTek K109 for this month.
Ooooh Yeeaahh.
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline xtregress

« Reply #6080 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 03:45:44 »
Been changing between lubed gat browns and a restored apple IIGs with orange alps
Are gateron browns that good that they can be mentioned in the same breath of orange Alps?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #6081 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 11:55:56 »

Cherry G81-1800HAU from 1998

Cherry MY switches are pretty shocking at first, yes. I have typed on heavy switches for a very long time so maybe less shocking for me than it is others.

After lubing them and using them for a day they are less bad than initial impressions. If it weren't for the binding on the larger-than-1u keys, like Control, I'd have a much better opinion of them.

Still will be looking to put an MX compatible PCB into this case, as the really high increase in force toward the bottom isn't the best.
keyboards

Offline Cheeks

« Reply #6082 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 07:21:17 »
Leopold FC900R the white and grey variant for work and Leopold FC750R for home and gaming! Both are MX Cherry Red switches, i recently purchased a Ducky one RGB with MX Charry Nature whites thinking I would like it for gaming but i'm stuck on the super light red switches.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #6083 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 12:40:03 »
Got my POK3R in from the recent Massdrop…drop. My first 60%!

Offline cactusplants

« Reply #6084 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 10:06:14 »
I'm using a second gen G15 that has such a worn down "W" key tha it wobbles if I blow it, it also is missing the numpad enterkey (No idea how) and the shift keeps playing up so If I'm sprinting in a videogame sometimes it just stops working.

I should just use my handwired 60% board I made, but the ISO enter key doesn't sit stable as it has nowhere for the stabs to go as the plate needs a pcb to secure everything. Why, oh why!

Offline zslane

« Reply #6085 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 13:11:03 »
I'm giving a Topre Realforce 104UW Type-S a try at work. I love Topre switches and I appreciate this keyboard's build quality and robust case design. However, I am reminded of why I hate Cherry profile keycaps.

The top surface of the alphas is too narrow compared to the spherical keycaps I normally type on (SA and DSA), and the damn spacebar is shaped in a way that I hate. There's no orientation for it that doesn't make the tall edge dig into my thumb when I use it. I find that I have to pull out the back feet to impose a steep angle on the entire board in order to rotate the spacebar in such a way that it minimizes the edge-on impact on my thumb. But I don't like angling keyboards up like that. It's a Hobson's Choice that I find really annoying.

It's a real shame when so excellent a keyboard is so severely marred by so lousy a keycap profile.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6086 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 13:56:09 »
Sorry but I've never understood how a spacebar can dig into thumbs. I am using a DCS spacebar with quite a sharp edge and it has never once bothered me.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6087 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 14:12:50 »
Sorry but I've never understood how a spacebar can dig into thumbs. I am using a DCS spacebar with quite a sharp edge and it has never once bothered me.

It bothers me because I keep my wrists down on the wrist rest, which causes the thumbs to lower and "dig" into the space bar.
I sit at a desk from 9am-5:30pm; I cannot keep my wrists floating above in the proper position all the time, so it's just easier to flip the bar.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6088 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 14:51:51 »
I find that I get a lot more pain in my wrists if I rest them on my desk than to just hover over the keys. I am on a keyboard for at least 7-8 hours/day.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6089 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 23:14:22 »
You sit there hovering your arms for 7-8 hours a day? Even when not typing but reading and preparing to type?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6090 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 18:15:52 »
Obviously not, I'm talking about while typing.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6091 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 18:36:22 »
FYI, the wrist rest is for resting, not for typing. Obviously, you shouldn't type while resting the wrists :)

Offline syris226

« Reply #6092 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:44:42 »
Using my newly built TADA68 with Cherry MX Speed Silvers and Skeletor.  :thumb:

Offline EEMac

« Reply #6093 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 09:06:51 »
Show Image

I wanted to start typing on this photo! That is truly a thing of beauty.

Offline CryHam

• My Website, Projects, FOSS etc.
« Reply #6094 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 13:46:01 »
200512-0
Home: CK6  :cool: (above, pictures)
Work: CK7 video
Own modifications. Now with LCD and my own controller code.
More info in this post and on my website.
Cheers :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 July 2018, 02:00:53 by CryHam »

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6095 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 14:54:48 »
FYI, the wrist rest is for resting, not for typing. Obviously, you shouldn't type while resting the wrists :)

That's not obvious at all.  Plenty of people type while keeping their wrists on the wrist wrest.  They shouldn't, but they do.

Offline MafiaButter

• "A child of the collosus of Armonk"
« Reply #6096 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 21:38:41 »
GK64 w/ KBDfans Dolch front-print & a mix of three types of switches - BOX Navy on Caps & Fn, lubed 78g Zealios on most mods, & lubed 67g Zealios on most Alphas. Living a beautiful life full of the feelios.
u/Yeet9000 ~ r/mk | MafiaButter ~ Deskthority

Offline redleaf

« Reply #6097 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 23:30:27 »
DZ60 with box yellows and DSA BountyHunter

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6098 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 10:36:50 »

Offline stroker

• @
« Reply #6099 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 11:44:37 »
costar das keyboard III with browns, been using it exclusively for the past 7 years

tired of the oem keycaps tho, black on black only looks good for so long