Author Topic: Apple Aluminium Keyboard review (scissor switches)  (Read 5294 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Apple Aluminium Keyboard review (scissor switches)
« on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 17:48:15 »
There have been quite a few requests to review one of these. Considering they turned up every week in every recycling centre I ever visited, it wasn't hard to get one of these. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Apple Aluminium Keyboard review (scissor switches)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 05:12:09 »
Another fine review!
Still not a fan of the apple keyboards.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 April 2017, 06:20:36 »
Chyros, you do a great service for the keyboard community by making these fine reviews. Always high quality and while you show your own preferences, your analysis is the gold standard of fairness.

I'm not too picky about switches and was fine with the Apple scissor switch action. My beef has always been with the flat keycaps being hard to locate, but that could be due to my lack of fingertip sensitivity.

Thanks for the review.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 22:05:07 »
I've used three of these - two at home and one at work.  One home one broke, hence the second one.

The work one was a miserable sod and kept zapping me each time I touched it, so I ended up slapping it each time before I started typing.

True story.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 12:01:14 »
Idunno, I love these things.

Although after getting the new MBP and a Magic Keyboard, the old scissors feel super mushy and gross. I'd take a full-size butterfly keyboard in a heartbeat.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 16:00:44 »
True story. Back in the day when they came out, bought one. Loved it.

Then I was gaming, losing. I literally smashed my fist in the middle. You know... raging and all like a little wuss.

And then it was literally bent.

But the best part was... I COULD JUST BEND IT BACK!

The first gen typed ok I think... At least it was better than the more expensive rubberdomes back then.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 17:14:22 »
I've looked at getting one of these a few times and I kept putting it off (I like scissor switches).

The last time I went looking was after visiting a customer who had one on his desk and it was because of the state of his that I took more notice of something on Ebay... While there are a TON of these on Ebay, and a huge percentage of them are non-functional or bent. Major red flag and I haven't looked at them since.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 21:49:47 »
I've looked at getting one of these a few times and I kept putting it off (I like scissor switches).

The last time I went looking was after visiting a customer who had one on his desk and it was because of the state of his that I took more notice of something on Ebay... While there are a TON of these on Ebay, and a huge percentage of them are non-functional or bent. Major red flag and I haven't looked at them since.

None of mine are bent, I guess it depends how well you treat them.

The broken one is only broken because someone spilled quite a lot of chocolate milk onto it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 05:58:35 »

The broken one is only broken because someone spilled quite a lot of chocolate milk onto it.
Scissor switches though, are just easily prone to damage, I once dropped an HDD onto a scissor switch board while getting it off a shelf over my desk, it went... badly.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 22:07:16 »

Scissor switches though, are just easily prone to damage, I once dropped an HDD onto a scissor switch board while getting it off a shelf over my desk, it went... badly.

Sounds nasty :eek:

I haven't dropped anything onto one yet, in fact I haven't dropped anything remotely heavy onto any keyboard.

But I have pounded an Apple keyboard with my, er, tettsui ken a few times with no obvious side-effects.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 01:28:45 »

I haven't dropped anything onto one yet, in fact I haven't dropped anything remotely heavy onto any keyboard.

But I have pounded an Apple keyboard with my, er, tettsui ken a few times with no obvious side-effects.
Scissor switches are quite fragile. Like I mentioned, I found almost none of these intact at the recycling centre, despite the huge volumes of them I encountered there.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 22:02:56 »

Scissor switches are quite fragile. Like I mentioned, I found almost none of these intact at the recycling centre, despite the huge volumes of them I encountered there.

At a recycling centre there's probably a chance that the keyboards were just chucked in a box, whereas I've generally looked after mine (apart from hitting it a few times with a clenched fist).