Author Topic: [IC] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us.  (Read 55427 times)

Offline Solotov

Re: [IC] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us.
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 02:22:57 »
Have to keep my eyes on this  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline zwartho

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 13:27:07 »
me likey

Offline mustcode

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 01:17:26 »
Been following this and I am happy to hear that it is moving along well. Are you planning on having different colors?
Yes, I do plan on offering different color options, but since looks isn't the primary focus for this project, to keep things simple, I think I'll only be able to offer basic colors like silver, black, and possibly grey. But then again, I'm also listening to feedback to see what the community want, so I will try to accommodate the most request colors. :)

Offline mustcode

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 14:51:58 »
Update #4

This is an exiting update for me because the mounting is complete! This was the biggest question mark for this project and I'm very glad that it worked out the way the way it did. Earlier, I hit a road-block when I found out that McMaster-Carr rejected my orders for parts that I needed to complete the prototype because they didn't want to ship to where I live (Bangkok), and the design of the mount was based on some specific parts from McMaster-Carr. So, I had to find the parts elsewhere and I managed to find replacements for most of the parts, except for one... the "Captive Pin" (https://www.mcmaster.com/95648a700). This is an important piece that kinda holds everything together, and I got really fed-up looking for something like it, so I had it custom made by the same shop from Alibaba for a reasonable price along with the rest of the mountings. And the results are great! Everything fits together very well; currently I'm using silicone o-rings as cushions which works a lot better than I expected, but these are just one of many possibilities, and I'm still looking for some other interesting parts/materials to try as the next candidate for the final default cushions.
Another good news is that the PCB is also coming along nicely, courtesy of a fellow keyboard lover :thumb: That's all for now and thanks all for the great support so far!

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 14:58:40 »
Awesome to see you were able to source parts and get the prototype of the mounting system together, can't wait to join in on the GB!

I was just wondering if it's possible to do a quick video of the mounting system in action (maybe just lightly pushing on the plate)? Hoping the PCB gets to you soon!

Offline mustcode

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 02:04:08 »
No problems, I'll take a quick video when I get home tonight :thumb:

Offline mustcode

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 11:13:27 »
Awesome to see you were able to source parts and get the prototype of the mounting system together, can't wait to join in on the GB!

I was just wondering if it's possible to do a quick video of the mounting system in action (maybe just lightly pushing on the plate)? Hoping the PCB gets to you soon!

Here is the video of the mount in action! However, please note that there is no PCB in it, so I had to put an extra o-ring to fill in the gap. Also, this is recorded from my phone, so audio is totally crap.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:07:06 »

Here is the video of the mount in action! However, please note that there is no PCB in it, so I had to put an extra o-ring to fill in the gap. Also, this is recorded from my phone, so audio is totally crap.

Thank you very much for the video! It's great to see the mounting system at work, even without a PCB in, and I really like the flex shown. I appreciate you taking on this request.

Really excited for this project.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 12:07:23 »
Wow super fascinating! Love how it’s all coming together. (Also, message me if you want to test out the McMaster parts instead of custom fabrications, maybe I could buy some here in the states and send them over?)

Offline mustcode

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 13:08:09 »
Wow super fascinating! Love how it’s all coming together. (Also, message me if you want to test out the McMaster parts instead of custom fabrications, maybe I could buy some here in the states and send them over?)

Thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you ^-^
I'll definitely ask for your help if I need those McMaster parts!

Offline keyboardcircle

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 17:32:59 »
most complex keyboard ever..

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 18:15:08 »

Thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you ^-^
I'll definitely ask for your help if I need those McMaster parts!

Sure, no problem! And I'm just glad to see this coming to fruition!

Offline kmfmppl

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 00:43:26 »
This looks really cool. Will the pcb have some kind of breakout for an oled? Looks like there would be ample space to mod a screen into a build.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 02:16:53 »
This looks really cool. Will the pcb have some kind of breakout for an oled? Looks like there would be ample space to mod a screen into a build.

A screen wasn't a requirement when I discuss the details of the pcb with the pcb designer, so I'm not sure if it'll have the support. But you can fit a Raspberry Pi Zero in the space on the top of the case, if you want to do something special :)

Offline kmfmppl

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 05:53:58 »

A screen wasn't a requirement when I discuss the details of the pcb with the pcb designer, so I'm not sure if it'll have the support. But you can fit a Raspberry Pi Zero in the space on the top of the case, if you want to do something special :)

I'll figure something out, great project anyway! :)

Offline dannyny

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 23:20:41 »
this looks super interesting. not sure if i need this but for the right price i would buy it. does this have a price tag yet?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 02 October 2019, 23:41:49 »
this looks super interesting. not sure if i need this but for the right price i would buy it. does this have a price tag yet?

I haven't finalized the price yet, but based on what I paid for the prototype so far, I think the price will be in the same range as most customs in today's market.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 07:27:46 »

I have to be honest, i don't particullary enjoy the aesthetic of the keeb, but there is so much overengineering that i definetely want to buy and support you. I guess we are too late to get the 75% last column.

2 questions:
- The second plate (the bottom one) what material is supposed to be? I'm a bit worried that the flex of the top 1.5mm plate will vibrate against the bottom plate.
- I saw the video of the exploded view but still i don't understand the bottom part (this), these bottom pillars screw to what?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 07:35:30 by KaosJ »

Offline Uryftw

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 16:18:28 »
This is interesting.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 16:25:31 »
This is a really fat boi. Hate fat.

Offline rondg

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 17:38:06 »
For the pcb, will you consider adding breakouts for other possible DIY addons like OLED, bluetooth, etc?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 17:48:19 »
So I finally read the description of what this is & I gotta say I love it! Super interested in this project specifically because of the crazy over engineering you've put into it. Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this while stashing some cash away in anticipation of this coming to life! GL moving forward OP!

Offline mustcode

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 01:06:55 »
I have to be honest, i don't particullary enjoy the aesthetic of the keeb, but there is so much overengineering that i definetely want to buy and support you. I guess we are too late to get the 75% last column.

2 questions:
- The second plate (the bottom one) what material is supposed to be? I'm a bit worried that the flex of the top 1.5mm plate will vibrate against the bottom plate.
- I saw the video of the exploded view but still i don't understand the bottom part (this), these bottom pillars screw to what?
Hey, sorry for the slow response, and thanks for the support, it really means a lot :)
The second plate is actually supposed to be some kind of sound absorbing material. I'm currently using acrylic as a placeholder because I'm still waiting on the PCB to finalize and I'm still looking at what material is best. Probably some kind of silicon, definitely not metal, but I still haven't found a shop to make a prototype yet.
As for the exploded view, it's a little out-dated, the pillars initially supposed to be screwed into the main body, but it was too expensive to manufacture, so I redesigned it to but just studs, which are kept in place by a cut out in the bottom case. This put manufacturing cost back to reasonable land, and seemed to work well based on the prototype. ;D

Offline mustcode

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 01:09:39 »
Forgot to answers this question. I'm planning to offer other sizes and layout if this first one is successful. It'll be easy for me to create bigger versions once I got this one figured out, so hopefully we'll get to a point where I can offer 75% and TKL versions :)

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 14:57:04 »

2 questions:
Hey, sorry for the slow response, and thanks for the support, it really means a lot :)
The second plate is actually supposed to be some kind of sound absorbing material. I'm currently using acrylic as a placeholder because I'm still waiting on the PCB to finalize and I'm still looking at what material is best. Probably some kind of silicon, definitely not metal, but I still haven't found a shop to make a prototype yet.
As for the exploded view, it's a little out-dated, the pillars initially supposed to be screwed into the main body, but it was too expensive to manufacture, so I redesigned it to but just studs, which are kept in place by a cut out in the bottom case. This put manufacturing cost back to reasonable land, and seemed to work well based on the prototype. ;D

What about the hardest sorbothane custom cut? anyway, anything dense foam-like thing will do the job.
Can't wait to see more!

Offline mustcode

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 16:29:24 »
Update #5

The PCB design is done and it is ready for prototype! Actually, the PCB has been ready for a couple of weeks, but I had to wait for my paycheck before I can order the prototype... holiday season this year is brutal for my wallet :( But all is good now, I should be able to pay for the prototypes soon and we'll be on our way to a functional prototype!
Another thing worth informing is that I made some modifications to the case in order to properly mount the controller PCB. To keep with the original intent of the design, the controller is mounted to the case via a "holder". The holder is a laser-cut part that can be made cheaply, which should allows modders to attach their own controllers if they wanted to.
That's all for now, for the next update, I'm hoping to have a functioning prototype!

Offline rondg

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 16:54:03 »
I don't know anything about pcb design, but looking at the pictures, there is a part of the pcb that extends/protrudes that connects to the controller. If that is the case, I think it would be much safer for that to be a ribbon cable? This can be more forgiving on the tolerances? If that is not the case, don't mind me I'm stupid  ;D

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 17:23:47 »
Likewise, not sure what the vision is for the PCB/controller pairing, but the example looks like there are 10+6 connectors. 60 keys.

The keyboard PCB looks like there's a 15 x 6 matrix, so 90 possible positions in the matrix. Granted, not all filled.
You may want to anticipate more wires from KEYBOARD to controller is all I'm saying.

Amazing project, I continue to watch with interest.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline mustcode

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 00:17:20 »
I don't know anything about pcb design, but looking at the pictures, there is a part of the pcb that extends/protrudes that connects to the controller. If that is the case, I think it would be much safer for that to be a ribbon cable? This can be more forgiving on the tolerances? If that is not the case, don't mind me I'm stupid  ;D
The part that extrude is a card-edge connector, similar to how the Beamsprings and Model Fs are designed back in the days. It was my request to make the controller detachable in a similar fashion, and I trust in the pcb designer's expertise that this shouldn't break easily. Ribbon connector could work too, but require more parts. Hopefully, all goes well in the upcoming prototype :P

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2019, 00:19:21 by mustcode »

Offline mustcode

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 00:22:42 »
Likewise, not sure what the vision is for the PCB/controller pairing, but the example looks like there are 10+6 connectors. 60 keys.

The keyboard PCB looks like there's a 15 x 6 matrix, so 90 possible positions in the matrix. Granted, not all filled.
You may want to anticipate more wires from KEYBOARD to controller is all I'm saying.

Hopefully, the pcb designer has already thought of everything, but as far as I know we only need 1 pin for each row and 1 pin for each column, similar to how you hand-wired a keyboard. So the chosen connector seemd to have more than enough pins for the job :)

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 16:57:38 »
Just noticed this new thread:
    https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103689.0;topicseen

He's playing with putting the controller into a Gameboy cartridge. Maybe some ideas for your PCB guy to consider.

Not only could you play with different "CPUs", but you could keep different configurations "just lying around" so the, for example, friends and co-workers could use a more standard keyboard, when needed.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Olivierko

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 18:07:58 »
You have my wallet.

Offline johnnysstash

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 22:59:23 »
wkl option would make this a must for me

Offline yiancar

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 14:01:18 »
Just noticed this new thread:
    https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103689.0;topicseen

He's playing with putting the controller into a Gameboy cartridge. Maybe some ideas for your PCB guy to consider.

Not only could you play with different "CPUs", but you could keep different configurations "just lying around" so the, for example, friends and co-workers could use a more standard keyboard, when needed.

Hello! I am the pcb designer!

Interesting project with the gameboy cartridge! I suppose we are doing the same thing but in a different form factor

We decided on using a standardized connector. PCIE is that and also allows for non reversibility.
A standardized connector means that we can get one from multiple suppliers and a high quality. The unit price is also much cheaper.

At the beginning we were thinking of using a matting connector instead of a card edge one.
The IBM aesthetic mostly swing us towards the card edge connector. Also as the matting cycles are going to be quite low (<100) there was no need for a more expensive matting connector.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 December 2019, 14:07:48 by yiancar »

Offline yiancar

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 14:08:46 »

The tolerances are good enough if we think that this is CNCed :)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 14:17:18 »
this **** wild

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 15:23:16 »
Wow, just wow. Incredible engineering effort and attention to detail. Very interested!

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 16:49:38 »
Glad to see this is still in progress. Looks absolutely insane in the best way

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 21 December 2019, 17:40:55 »
I've been getting into smaller keyboards, but this seems so great. I kinda really like it. A lot.

Offline beekey

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 02:39:37 »
I love the engineering. Awesome to see something new and ambitious.

Offline rinkaan

Oh my... Won't this run into the thousands? Looking sick though!

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Bleddyn

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 29 December 2019, 07:30:28 »
I remember seeing this way back when it hit IC and thinking man this is nuts, It's never gonna work. Glad to be proven wrong and to see this coming along in the way it has.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 14:17:35 »
Update #6

This is a really exiting update for me. The prototype PCBs that my partner Yiancar has made arrived at my place today. This is pretty much the final piece of the puzzle and I can now finally build a functional prototype. The PCBs needed a few jump wires which will obviously be fixed in the production version, other than that everything fit together really well. I'll let the pictures do the talking :)
As for the next step, I'll be building a functional prototype in the very near future and also start talking to potential manufacturers to get quotes and finalize who will handle all the CNC for the production of this project. Thank you everyone who has been supporting the project, this has been quite a journey and we've come so far I can almost see the finish line, please don't lose interest just yet!

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 15:06:09 »
Wow seriously awesome stuff! Glad to see everything coming together! :thumb:
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 15:26:14 »
Update #6

This is a really exiting update for me. The prototype PCBs that my partner Yiancar has made arrived at my place today. This is pretty much the final piece of the puzzle and I can now finally build a functional prototype. The PCBs needed a few jump wires which will obviously be fixed in the production version, other than that everything fit together really well. I'll let the pictures do the talking :)
As for the next step, I'll be building a functional prototype in the very near future and also start talking to potential manufacturers to get quotes and finalize who will handle all the CNC for the production of this project. Thank you everyone who has been supporting the project, this has been quite a journey and we've come so far I can almost see the finish line, please don't lose interest just yet!

Very excited to start to see a finalized project coming together. Really hope everything can be organized for this to go to GB or for production units to be made, I've been down since day 1  :)

Offline rondg

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 16:02:13 »
I cannot live without my arrow keys but this is just too good. Very interested in this one!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 17:44:52 »
Can't wait for the sound test.

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 19:05:54 »
bruh, am loving how this looks and how different it is!
Hoping to buy this

Offline mustcode

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 14:27:28 »
I need to get a proper mic so that I can finally do a proper typing video that do this thing justice... In the meantime, enjoy my dirty desk  :p

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 15:47:26 »
I need to get a proper mic so that I can finally do a proper typing video that do this thing justice... In the meantime, enjoy my dirty desk  :p

Whew! looking forward to it! Will you be able to do soundtests for different profiles and materials by any chance?