Author Topic: [IC] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us.  (Read 55198 times)

Offline mustcode

Re: [IC] MC-76K "Fat Boy" - A compact keyboard for the modders among us.
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 21:26:38 »
Absolutely, I got tons of keycaps and switches I can test out. Let me know if you have a specific keycaps/switches you want me to test out.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 21:57:32 »
I need to get a proper mic so that I can finally do a proper typing video that do this thing justice... In the meantime, enjoy my dirty desk  :p

Niiiice

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 22:03:05 »
Absolutely, I got tons of keycaps and switches I can test out. Let me know if you have a specific keycaps/switches you want me to test out.

Well if you are offering...  :p I think I speak for at least a few people when I say I'd absolutely love to hear some GMK keycaps with linear switches. That's my easiest basis for comparison.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 05:18:28 »

Well if you are offering...  :p I think I speak for at least a few people when I say I'd absolutely love to hear some GMK keycaps with linear switches. That's my easiest basis for comparison.
You got it, I'll do a video for linear/gmk combo.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 11:08:11 »
Typing Video #1!  :D

Just finished setting up for recording with a somewhat "proper" equipment, i.e. not a phone camera. So, here's a typing test with the current build I got on this, T1 switches with my beloved SA Retro.
Next recording will be after I rebuild the board with a linear/GMK combo as requested  :thumb:

Offline rondg

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 19:07:11 »

Just finished setting up for recording with a somewhat "proper" equipment, i.e. not a phone camera. So, here's a typing test with the current build I got on this, T1 switches with my beloved SA Retro.
Next recording will be after I rebuild the board with a linear/GMK combo as requested  :thumb:

Any chance for a build video?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 00:43:57 »
Hmm, I'll try to make one in the near future. I don't have a lot of equipment/skills to make good videos so I can't promise high quality videos (yet), but I can definitely try!

Offline jjj404001

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 10:27:55 »
I really love the sounds and design, especially mechanism.

Cant wait for GB, but is there are daughter board available connected with cables?

this mechanism is very interesting <3 I like it but also little worried since it travels up and down but connected with part of PCBplane.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 10:47:02 »
I wonder what wonderful sounds this thing will make with clickies...

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 11:47:41 »
Great design method and work so far.  I love the mounting system and the dedication to perfection.  I might have to find some money for this beauty.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline mustcode

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:13:21 »

Cant wait for GB, but is there are daughter board available connected with cables?

this mechanism is very interesting <3 I like it but also little worried since it travels up and down but connected with part of PCBplane.
Both the matrix PCB and controller PCB are most likely going to be very similar to the prototype here, so no cables, sorry... However, in the final version, there will be proper mounting for the PCB which will secure it better than what you see in the prototype here.  :)

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:33:51 »

Seems proper enough to me! Really nice!

At some point pre-GB will you be demonstrating different top pieces? Ones besides the clear (what I'm assuming is acrylic) one that is on there now?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 11:07:47 »
So, the board is rebuilt with lubed vintage blacks, 60g TX springs, and is being sent over to a fellow of mine who offered to do a typing video with a much better recording gear, which should sounds pretty accurate to the real thing.

In the mean time, while it's not a build video yet. I managed to take some pictures while I was rebuilding it so show the building process a little bit more clearly.

First, you build the PCB/plate sandwich like any other customs. Then you attach the brackets with o-rings for cushions. You can use flat springs or other cushion material here as well, but I found these silicone o-rings do the jobs really well. At this point, these o-rings are the most likely candidates for what will be included in the final kit. Insert the pins keep everything together.
236171-0
236173-1

Next, place pins on the case as pictured and route the cable to the controller PCB. You can actually connect the cable later, but this is just how I do it.
236175-2

Next, connect the controller PCB to the matrix and place the sandwich into the case, take care to line-up the pins and everything should go in easily.
I'll admit that this part is a little fiddly, but I did it many times without too much trouble. One trick is to line up the pins on the bottom row first as the top row pins are exposed and are easier to line up.
Make sure that controller PCB and the cable properly in place and nothing is caught under anything, and all the pins should easily go though all the hols all the way to the top holes as pictured below:
236177-3
236179-4

Next, use something small to nudge the pins so that it went through the top hole as well:
236181-5
236183-6

And that's it!
236185-7

The final version will come with a proper aluminium, side-mount, top cover so that the whole thing is solid. Clear acrylic top cover is nice for prototype because I can see through it, but it's not strong enough to hold everything together securely, so you'll be getting an aluminium top as default.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 11:15:17 »

Seems proper enough to me! Really nice!

At some point pre-GB will you be demonstrating different top pieces? Ones besides the clear (what I'm assuming is acrylic) one that is on there now?

I do plan to get a laser-cut aluminium top just to see how it looks but I've been having a little difficulty finding a local shop that offer the same finish. The final top cover will be the side mount CNCed one though :)

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:13:20 »
The final top cover will be the side mount CNCed one though :)

Oh boy I just keep getting more and more excited about this board  :eek:

This next build sounds like it's going to be really nice, can't wait to hear the sound test from your friend!

Offline ehagerty

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 12:50:53 »
So, the board is rebuilt with lubed vintage blacks, 60g TX springs, and is being sent over to a fellow of mine who offered to do a typing video with a much better recording gear, which should sounds pretty accurate to the real thing.

In the mean time, while it's not a build video yet. I managed to take some pictures while I was rebuilding it so show the building process a little bit more clearly.

First, you build the PCB/plate sandwich like any other customs. Then you attach the brackets with o-rings for cushions. You can use flat springs or other cushion material here as well, but I found these silicone o-rings do the jobs really well. At this point, these o-rings are the most likely candidates for what will be included in the final kit. Insert the pins keep everything together.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Next, place pins on the case as pictured and route the cable to the controller PCB. You can actually connect the cable later, but this is just how I do it.
(Attachment Link)

Next, connect the controller PCB to the matrix and place the sandwich into the case, take care to line-up the pins and everything should go in easily.
I'll admit that this part is a little fiddly, but I did it many times without too much trouble. One trick is to line up the pins on the bottom row first as the top row pins are exposed and are easier to line up.
Make sure that controller PCB and the cable properly in place and nothing is caught under anything, and all the pins should easily go though all the hols all the way to the top holes as pictured below:
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Next, use something small to nudge the pins so that it went through the top hole as well:
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

And that's it!
(Attachment Link)

The final version will come with a proper aluminium, side-mount, top cover so that the whole thing is solid. Clear acrylic top cover is nice for prototype because I can see through it, but it's not strong enough to hold everything together securely, so you'll be getting an aluminium top as default.

@mustcode UH MAH GHEERDD!  WHEN WILL YOU TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 15:18:50 »
I must admit I like the clear top 👀

Offline mustcode

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 02:39:08 »
Alright! Here are some proper sound check for you. Put your good speakers/headphones on and Enjoy!
And huge thanks to Mr. Pro who help me with this, he has been one of the most helpful people to everyone in the Thai Mech community for many years. His YouTube channels has a lot more typing videos so those are good comparison to other keyboards.

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 02:52:48 by mustcode »

Offline piercejenkins

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 07:45:23 »
Just shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Offline jjj404001

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:56:27 »

Both the matrix PCB and controller PCB are most likely going to be very similar to the prototype here, so no cables, sorry... However, in the final version, there will be proper mounting for the PCB which will secure it better than what you see in the prototype here.  :)

Oh,, I thought it connected via external port just like other keyboards. Then I don't have to worry about anything. Good job!. I really live that bezel design.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 06:05:10 »
Just shut up and TAKE MY MONEY!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment   :p

Thank you for the gmk+linear, really sounds quite nice, excited to see what's next for this board!

Offline Starius

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 16:56:31 »
I definitely gotta get one of these in my collection. 
Very cool project!  :thumb:

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 10:22:21 »
Noice
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline equalunique

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:13:26 »
I'd try to mod one with a custom ortho PCB & my own electronics

Offline mustcode

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 15:47:55 »
Update #7

This is it. This is possibly the last update before the GB... because GB starts 04/04.
Here are the details that I've finalized so far:

- Price 460usd per kit.
- MoQ is 20
- Each kit includes:
  - Case
     - 6063 aluminium
     - Two color choices: Silver or Black
     - top cover will be CNCed with screws on the sides (laser-cut top cover with screws on the top like in the prototype is still supported, but not included)
     - back cover will be laser-cut
  - 1 set of PCBs (matrix + controller)
  - all the mounting pieces, screws, silicone o-rings, etc.
- Extra PCB is 60usd per set (matrix + controller)

Yes, I know, there isn't a lot of options to choose from... I decided to remove all the non-essential options so that I have the highest chance of actually handle the GB properly.
I've thought about this a lot, because more options means you guys can get exactly what you want from the project and we might have more chance of hitting the MoQ. But in the end, I'm just one man with a full-time job who is doing this for the first time, so I want to make sure that I can do this and I absolutely don't want this to become such a big mess that it also become my last project. I believe even with the limited options, the core-concept that I want to deliver is still solid: A keyboard that you can easily modify, a keyboard that can be a platform for you to experiment on, a daily beater that will stay on your desk for years and years to come.

This price is also something that all of us are interested in. I hope that this is a price that most of us can agree on, because this is as low as I could go without risking losing money. I'm basically taking the quote that I got from the factory and round it up to a nice round number, and hope to god that they don't raise the price when I actually submit the order (the price in the quote is only valid for so long).
Another thing that I should be able to do if we're way pass MoQ, like >50, is price breaks. So, if that happens, it will definitely be cheaper.

I will also admit that I tried, but I could not get a "high-end" shop with custom keyboard experience work with me. My connections isn't the best, and this project isn't the easiest to machine. So, for better or worse, I decided to go back and work with the factory that created the prototype. It is a really good shop and the prototype is done quite well, so I have high hopes that the production units will also be beautiful. It is a factory in China that is not specialized in or have any experience in making custom keyboards. So, please expect a good looking, solid keyboard, with really well designed PCB, but please please don't expect absolute perfection cosmetically. However, I'm also not making excuses like "aesthetic isn't the focus, so it's okay to have ugly marks all over it" because I don't want that as well. I own many custom keyboards, I know how they should look, and I'm not setting my bar low, I know that by taking your money I'm responsible to deliver a custom keyboard that is worth that amount.

Thank you for all your continued support. I'm optimistic that we can hit the MoQ :thumb:

Offline rondg

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 21:09:07 »
Nice! Though I must admit, running this along with 7V, I might need to choose which one to get. Would you consider running this a month after?  ;D

Update #7

This is it. This is possibly the last update before the GB... because GB starts 04/04.
Here are the details that I've finalized so far:

- Price 460usd per kit.
- MoQ is 20
- Each kit includes:
  - Case
     - 6063 aluminium
     - Two color choices: Silver or Black
     - top cover will be CNCed with screws on the sides (laser-cut top cover with screws on the top like in the prototype is still supported, but not included)
     - back cover will be laser-cut
  - 1 set of PCBs (matrix + controller)
  - all the mounting pieces, screws, silicone o-rings, etc.
- Extra PCB is 60usd per set (matrix + controller)

Yes, I know, there isn't a lot of options to choose from... I decided to remove all the non-essential options so that I have the highest chance of actually handle the GB properly.
I've thought about this a lot, because more options means you guys can get exactly what you want from the project and we might have more chance of hitting the MoQ. But in the end, I'm just one man with a full-time job who is doing this for the first time, so I want to make sure that I can do this and I absolutely don't want this to become such a big mess that it also become my last project. I believe even with the limited options, the core-concept that I want to deliver is still solid: A keyboard that you can easily modify, a keyboard that can be a platform for you to experiment on, a daily beater that will stay on your desk for years and years to come.

This price is also something that all of us are interested in. I hope that this is a price that most of us can agree on, because this is as low as I could go without risking losing money. I'm basically taking the quote that I got from the factory and round it up to a nice round number, and hope to god that they don't raise the price when I actually submit the order (the price in the quote is only valid for so long).
Another thing that I should be able to do if we're way pass MoQ, like >50, is price breaks. So, if that happens, it will definitely be cheaper.

I will also admit that I tried, but I could not get a "high-end" shop with custom keyboard experience work with me. My connections isn't the best, and this project isn't the easiest to machine. So, for better or worse, I decided to go back and work with the factory that created the prototype. It is a really good shop and the prototype is done quite well, so I have high hopes that the production units will also be beautiful. It is a factory in China that is not specialized in or have any experience in making custom keyboards. So, please expect a good looking, solid keyboard, with really well designed PCB, but please please don't expect absolute perfection cosmetically. However, I'm also not making excuses like "aesthetic isn't the focus, so it's okay to have ugly marks all over it" because I don't want that as well. I own many custom keyboards, I know how they should look, and I'm not setting my bar low, I know that by taking your money I'm responsible to deliver a custom keyboard that is worth that amount.

Thank you for all your continued support. I'm optimistic that we can hit the MoQ :thumb:

Offline mustcode

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 21:50:52 »
Nice! Though I must admit, running this along with 7V, I might need to choose which one to get. Would you consider running this a month after?  ;D
Haha, at leaat I'm honored that you'd still need to choose which one :))
Well, if there's a lot of people that feel the same way then I'd have no choice but to move it because if you all decide to go with 7V then I won't make MoQ. So, yeah, if anyone else feels like April isn't a good time for any reasons, please do let me know.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 23:27:20 »
The coronavirus is actually caused uncertainty, so people with families want to save cash for more important things, and the MK hobby moving to Nth place. Personally I would wish every GB (current and scheduled for this & next month) is delayed for 30 days since now. But who I'm to decide on this ;) only GB runners and vendors can make that decision. I would highly appreciate it!

Current GB -  Foundry Jules (and M50 coming this month), 7V, Fat Boy, GMK's, etc. :(

I hope everything will be in order soon, so we can spend money again :P Good luck!

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 23:48:34 »
Haha, at leaat I'm honored that you'd still need to choose which one :))
Well, if there's a lot of people that feel the same way then I'd have no choice but to move it because if you all decide to go with 7V then I won't make MoQ. So, yeah, if anyone else feels like April isn't a good time for any reasons, please do let me know.

With coronavirus starting to spread in NA now, and 7v + RAMA M60 SEQ 3 + Jules + M50 running all within a similar timeframe as this, I think it would greatly help to postpone for a bit, at least!

This is speaking from me personally, at least. I'm really interested in this for sure, but hard given the situation and that 7v has been on my radar for a long time as well.

This is just my own situation/opinion, of course. Timeline limits me personally.

Additionally, any chance of a hotswap version pcb? Would love for this to be a hotbed for testing experimentation with switches!
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2020, 00:00:31 by i luv chuletas »

Offline Solotov

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 02:12:30 »
How long will the GB be open for? 1 month?
Would love to see this Fat Boy hit high order numbers. So, I too recommend opening GB on May instead as well.
As Jules & 7V are running until April with no order limit, a lot of people may buy both boards, and end up having empty wallet for another keeb  ;D. So, maybe it's a good idea to delay this a bit  ;)
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Jaltr

Im down to whenever tbh, just want this to be a thing and hit MoQ already! Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 07:41:45 »
Price is great, the options seem really nice, and the timing honestly isn't that bad for me personally.

I'm surprised that Jules, 7v, etc. would be of interest to the same customer base that is interested in this board :p

But I also don't think a month difference will mean someone who was going to purchase this board won't. That being said, COVID is a really problem, and financial strains are to be expected, there's a lot of preparation to be done based on what your workplace or school has decided to do.

Offline NICOTINE

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 18:00:22 »
I am one of those who also have been following this for some time but it falls at the same time as other group buys I'm interested in. 7v, Jules, SA SAIL and GMK Lunar. I suppose I could juggle these in a pinch but would also appreciate if it were postponed a month for financial feasibility.

Would love to get this to go with SA SAIL keyset...perfection!

Side note, long time lurker first time poster.

Offline gnhuy91

this is what i want after seeing too much 70% with messy arrow cluster! would you consider ALPS for the PCB? i will def join if later you decide to run a small round for extra pcb with alps support

Offline Spawned4Dinner

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 00:22:37 »
I’ve been stalking this thread for half a year, but since this project seems so become “acute”, I think I should throw in my two cents:

I love the design (especially the bit of extra “meat” you left on the top and bottom of the board) and the layout, as it offers the compactness of the smaller layouts, but doesn’t forget to include function keys for those who need them - much like a well designed laptop-keyboard, but with nice switches.

The addition of the mounting mechanism, is precisely what I love about hobbies like these:
Maybe not necessary, but definitely super cool - Something you just can’t get from commercial products.

The modularity and thus modability makes my fingers itch: Replacing the springs with small rubber-plates, equipping the rear with a nice, rugged connector (Like ISO or XLR) and tinkering with the top-plate (e.g. something like the translucent prototype or a small window for modifier-LEDs).

The only thing I’d still like to see was ISO-compatibility (and maybe the option of an extra top-plate), as discussed before. As someone who “needs” it, I’d be very much willing to wait bit longer for this behemoth. Is this idea still on the table?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 06:50:14 »
Alright, after a lot of thinking and listening to your feedback. I decided to move the GB out to May.
The factory is going to be a little upset that they won't get the order until the beginning of June, but I think our reasons are good reasons. I am mainly concerns about the virus and you guys are right that this is not the time to be on a spending spree, especially when there are already multiple major GB lined up.

So, the new date will be Saturday, the 2nd of May and keep the GB open until the first Saturday of June.

Thank you once again for all your support! I'll do my best to make this a success :thumb:

Also, here are answers to some of your questions, if I missed some questions, please feel free to poke me about it:

Additionally, any chance of a hotswap version pcb? Would love for this to be a hotbed for testing experimentation with switches!
Sorry, may be I'll do a run for a hotswap in a later date, I decided against the Kaihua sockets because I wanted Alps support. But the pcb is holtites friendly. The prototype is actually fitted with holtites :)

this is what i want after seeing too much 70% with messy arrow cluster! would you consider ALPS for the PCB? i will def join if later you decide to run a small round for extra pcb with alps support
Alps is already supported :thumb:

The only thing I’d still like to see was ISO-compatibility (and maybe the option of an extra top-plate), as discussed before. As someone who “needs” it, I’d be very much willing to wait bit longer for this behemoth. Is this idea still on the table?
ISO support is definitely something I wanted to do when I am a bit more confident with my skills. I don't use ISO, so designing for it a little difficult and it adds more things for me to screw up with the prototypes. Sorry, I promise that I'll support ISO in the future  :-[

Offline gnhuy91

yay for alps support! as for ISO i believe you can make a v2 PCB and run a mini GB for it, and release plate file so that ppl can make their our layout

Offline Starius

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 09:26:59 »
Thank you for postponing this, I think it will help the GB in the long run.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:00:25 »
Alright, after a lot of thinking and listening to your feedback. I decided to move the GB out to May.

You are officially the first HERO of the mech community  :thumb:

Offline thunderthighs

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 12:09:37 »
Man, this will hopefully be my first board I really can't wait for the GB.

Hope to see more of your designs!

Offline beekey

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 16:10:48 »
Would love to see an HHKB style top case as an option. Looks great and the brain is starting to think about mods. :)

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 08:50:23 »
That was a great decision, your board deserves to have its time in the limelight and with the current situation around CORVID-19 getting worse worldwide, I think the decision to wait is a very good one.  People are right to be nervous, maybe we should hold the board until this has passed and then buy as a celebration when it has passed?

Systems -
More

Keyboards -
More

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 15:28:24 »
Really looking forward to this. Question, will you release files for the pcb and the clear acrylic piece?

Offline mustcode

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 00:57:18 »
Thanks for all the support guys, it's really helps pushing me through all the problems and got me this far.  :thumb:

You are officially the first HERO of the mech community  :thumb:
Thank you, you are too kind :D

Really looking forward to this. Question, will you release files for the pcb and the clear acrylic piece?
Yes, the files for the case are actually already available through my GitHub, even if it's not very organized. Take a look here: https://github.com/mustcode/MC-76K
As for the PCB, I cannot confirm yet that it'll be publicly available because I'm not the one who designed it, but after the GB is complete, I'll definitely give you the final words on this.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 06:57:05 »
oops totally meant to say plate and not pcb. my bad.

Offline mustcode

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 03:24:24 »
Hi! Just in case someone is wondering, I've already submitted the GB thread a little while ago, but it's still pending approval. Not sure how long it'll take before it is approved, but hopefully not much longer now  ;)

Offline Jaltr

Hope to get my things together to get on this!
Glad to here from ya, OP <3

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 07:07:55 »
Hi! Just in case someone is wondering, I've already submitted the GB thread a little while ago, but it's still pending approval. Not sure how long it'll take before it is approved, but hopefully not much longer now  ;)

:eek: it's happening

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
H Y P E

Really looking forward to this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline ehagerty

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 10:55:03 »

Massive accomplishment brother - congratulations!