Author Topic: [GB] Linjär switch [COMPLETED]  (Read 63453 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Good call on the QC. Have them take pictures in the natural light (go outside and brave the cold for a minute gateron Bois).

Less Fisher Price and more SKRATTAR DU

Offline Regret

• I regret nothing
Gotta make sure whatever camera they are using isn't applying some image processing. I know a lot of samsung photos tend to be overly saturated.
No.2 Rev.1 | Gat Black Inks | OG Dyesubs \\ No.1/65 Silver & Brass | Retooled Cherry Blacks | GMK Coniferous \\ Ai03 Lunar | SKCM Blues | AEK \\ Aeryx Aegis 1800 | C3 Tangerines | GMK WoB

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] Linjär switch - Mekaniska Tangentbord Sverige [Payment to Gateron]
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 15:13:24 »
I'm no spring expert, but do gateron yellows not have some special property where they're perfectly linear and everything else is a bit exponential (or the other way around, I don't remember specifics beyond the fact it's unique)

It's more the slope of the force curve.
Pulled up from an old post:
Show Image

So it has a higher preload with lower spring coefficient. I can see how that would feel "more linear" to some people.

Ah, this is interesting. I'll have to ask sprit what his lowest m and highest b spring is (mx+b) and try it in these.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
New sample round with photos from gateron, definitely better but it's impossible to judge by photos.

I've asked Gateron to take photos next to a pantone sample book, if they have one, to get a better understanding of the colors. If they look similar to the pantones on the photo, then it's fine if our screens show a different color than expected (for example, lighting, image processing, uncalibrated screens etc) - it would be good enough to have samples sent here to us in Sweden to do some comparisons of our own.

I could ask them to send every round of samples here as basing something on photos is just dumb, but that'd delay by weeks. I'd rather have samples that appear to be CLOSE to the pantones sent here rather than reject samples every other week until it's correct.

Offline ctrl

New sample round with photos from gateron, definitely better but it's impossible to judge by photos.
Show Image

I've asked Gateron to take photos next to a pantone sample book, if they have one, to get a better understanding of the colors. If they look similar to the pantones on the photo, then it's fine if our screens show a different color than expected (for example, lighting, image processing, uncalibrated screens etc) - it would be good enough to have samples sent here to us in Sweden to do some comparisons of our own.

I could ask them to send every round of samples here as basing something on photos is just dumb, but that'd delay by weeks. I'd rather have samples that appear to be CLOSE to the pantones sent here rather than reject samples every other week until it's correct.

It's a limited run. You have specfic features in mind. Let it take the time necessary to achieve them. After all, in this hobby waiting for a SA keyset can take quite some time. Waiting a week here or there for these switches is nothing. Better they end up the way you envision them. :thumb:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Show Image

It's a limited run. You have specfic features in mind. Let it take the time necessary to achieve them. After all, in this hobby waiting for a SA keyset can take quite some time. Waiting a week here or there for these switches is nothing. Better they end up the way you envision them. :thumb:

We are doing our best to deliver on our vision, we will get there! :) Thank you for the kind words!

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
I don't want a Necro on our hands, I will be sending sample switches to two Swedes that have access to the whole Pantone catalogues for both to double (literally) check the colors. One of them has access to good photography equipment too, I will be sure to update.
The colors are off, but how does the feel compare to what you were expecting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photos are by gateron, not in my posession yet. They were set to ship today, but I rejected it based on photos. Gateron has acknowledged that they're too bright and saturated, and will tone them down and make them darker in accordance to pantones. Also, they will make them PCB mount.
Good save, it's easy to just let it pass but you did the right thing :thumb:

Offline Starius

Yeah, better to take the time to get the colors dialed down right.  Especially that blue!  I really want to see that part come out as envisioned!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord

Got samples next to the pantone, it looks close enough in these shots. I will ask Gateron to send me these for review.

Offline HomerSp

Re: [GB] Linjär switch - Mekaniska Tangentbord Sverige [Samples on the way!]
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 08:23:08 »
Those colours look much better, hopefully they will look as good in hand so we can all get our hands on them! But quality should always go first of course.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 08:24:06 »
I personally think that as per the pictures with the pantone they look like they match quite well - even the yellow looks much nicer there than it did in the first one(s) where it basically looked fluorescent.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 08:26:22 »
Yeah, exposure isn't the best on the photos, but we got to keep in mind they are matching plastic to paper. Honestly, it won't be a 100% perfect match, it's a meme switch with a meme color - if it's very close then we will accept it. Let's see what they're like when they arrive! :)

Me and some other swedes will do individual comparisons to other popular linears, both feel and sound wise, lubed and unlubed.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 09:57:09 »
Yeah, exposure isn't the best on the photos, but we got to keep in mind they are matching plastic to paper. Honestly, it won't be a 100% perfect match, it's a meme switch with a meme color - if it's very close then we will accept it. Let's see what they're like when they arrive! :)

Me and some other swedes will do individual comparisons to other popular linears, both feel and sound wise, lubed and unlubed.

If these things sound like cherrys and feel as smooth as gat yellows, I think you win the linear game, sven.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 10:04:13 »

If these things sound like cherrys and feel as smooth as gat yellows, I think you win the linear game, sven.

That's the goal, no one would be happier than me if that was the case! :D

ALSO, exclusive news: there is a tactile switch called "Taktil" in the planning stages... Not by gateron, and more tactile than zeal v1 and equivalents...  :eek: Enough about that for now! :)

Offline Starius

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 26 February 2019, 13:50:59 »

ALSO, exclusive news: there is a tactile switch called "Taktil" in the planning stages... Not by gateron, and more tactile than zeal v1 and equivalents...  :eek: Enough about that for now! :)

God bless the Swedes.   :thumb:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 05:07:19 »
Got confirmation from gateron (with photo) that the package with samples is on the way! Will update as soon as I get it! :)

Offline wellbeing44

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 07:24:52 »
Got confirmation from gateron (with photo) that the package with samples is on the way! Will update as soon as I get it! :)

Let's hope the colors are just right  :)

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 03:39:14 »
If anyone joined for more than they need and wand to offload a few, I was too poor at the time to join.. (I blame g60 and zeal..). I'm looking for 70. :D

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 02:55:38 »
Looking at the tracking info for the samples, they seem to arrive today (actually estimated tomorrow). I will update as soon as I know more! :) I hope they arrive today, really excited to see the samples and feel/hear them out!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 06:44:57 »
Please do a little sound sample if you can! I wanna see if the clear housing has a difference in sound compared to gateron yellow.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:22:23 »
Well, ****. Got hit with the classic DHL:

My girlfriend was at home waiting for the samples all day... Asked for it to be delivered to a service point instead, sigh. Guess tomorrow is the day.

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:33:00 »
I even leave a note on my door with my phone number with alternate delivery instructions and that STILL happens. smh dhl, smh

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:33:28 »
Well, ****. Got hit with the classic DHL:

The good ole DHL "haha didn't actually ring your doorbell pranked good luck getting it from the grocery shop service point some other day" manoeuvre. """""""express delivery"""""""

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [GB] Linjär switch - Mekaniska Tangentbord Sverige [Payment to Gateron]
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:34:27 »
Ok, so Gateron send me images of the samples they were about to send me, and unfortunately I didn't like it.

It could be a bedroom condition type of thing, but it doesn't seem to match pantones, and also, it's plate mount.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It could be poor photos, but it seems too extreme in the colors (too bright).

Gateron offered to make new samples, but it'll take a week. I rather delay with a week and have this one limited production run done right, than rush it and disappoint everyone (mostly ourselves in the Swedish community).

Sorry, and let's hope the new samples are on point!

Thank you so much for putting us first and work with Gateron on new samples! Kudos to your team!

Offline bard

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 04:49:41 »
are they smooth like c3 tangerine?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 04:51:31 »

Let's try again...  :cool:

I'll compare to tangerines when I get them.

Offline HomerSp

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 05:02:24 »
Show Image

Let's try again...  :cool:

I'll compare to tangerines when I get them.
DHL outright refuse to deliver to me, so I know the pain. Luckily they now default to deliver it to a service point instead - before I had to do a bunch of calls just for them to actually deliver it.

If you need another Swede to do switch testing, I'm available *wink*  :))

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 07:07:28 »
Yo Emir, from what I understood this is a one-time production? There is not going to be anymore production of these switches?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 07:17:10 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 07:42:43 »
Yo Emir, from what I understood this is a one-time production? There is not going to be anymore production of these switches?

That is correct, one production run and we won't run it again. Hold on tight to these. :)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 07:50:51 »

That is correct, one production run and we won't run it again. Hold on tight to these. :)

Goddamnit why do I feel like I should have gotten more?
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 07:53:44 »

Save the money for GMK Nines...  :))

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:13:34 »

Save the money for GMK Nines...  :))

Too many good things coming out!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 14:11:59 »

I hope it is at least as smooth as Gateron ink - which is smoother than c3 tangerine according to some reviews

My concern is also - how much wobble?
I already like Gateron yellows and Gateron blacks so that should be fine anyway even with wobbles.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 14:43:28 »
Ok, so let's start.

First off, the color look goods to me - but I do not have a pantone catalogue. I will send out samples to Swedes with access to good photography setups + pantone catalogues for some comparisons tomorrow - we in the community are however satisfied just based on the color in photos and IRL, even if it's off the pantone by a lil bit.

Some photos shot with my iPhone, don't got access to a DSLR today (I will tomorrow):

Light source reduced to half:

bonus bedroom conditions

They look good to me, but on to other details:
- Springs are not the same as Gateron yellow
- They feel slightly lighter than Gateron Yellows (perhaps because of the nature of gat yellow springs?)
- No unordinary spring ping (to the degree that I did not notice it stock)
- Wobble is the same as Gateron Yellow
- Feels equally smooth as a Gateron yellow, perhaps slightly better than yellow and more towards a tealio (both in hand and in board) - difficult to tell with the inconsistent lube stock
- Lube job is inconsistent, common with gateron factory lubed switches. Lubed very lightly, easily lube anything else ontop
- Nylon housing definitely changes the sound signature stock

Only board I have available right now to test sound in that is hotswap is a HHKB tofu, I recorded some sound clips.
All sound clips are with R1 GMK caps.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11nJsA0A4UjpjJmx4mx66mWZeAbhhYA6r

Clips are recorded in the order the file names are (black is actually vint black).
Clips of both stock and 205g0 lubed linjär vs others.

In summary, Nylon housing definitely changes the sound signature, just as we wanted! It may not be too obvious in the clips, but keep in mind that the board used is top mount and not known for sounding good in general.
It is more obvious to me when listening in my hand, but that does not really tell much other than that they are "different", I can't really judge how good Linjär really can sound.

My quick analysis. Tomorrow I will be sending out samples to a few swedes to make their own comparisons and base their own opinions. We will also get some pantone comparisons for you guys!
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 15:06:16 by Emir »

Offline HAYAN

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 14:51:38 »
It looks cool and the sound is better than my expectation. gj
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 14:58:29 by HAYAN »

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 14:55:39 »
Would it be too greedy to expect this to be as smooth as tealios? :roll:

Anyway, the price is almost 1/3 of tealios, the housing color is nice. So i'll be satisfied if it's as smooth as gat yellow or black :)

I barely tell a difference in a keyboard with a tealio and linjär next to each other, but then again I'd say gat yellows aren't far from tealios either. I'd say Linjär are inbetween, maybe. Not sure, I haven't got full boards of these to actually base a real opinion. What I can say for sure though, is that they are smooth.

We will see what the other swedes say! :)

Offline Starius

As the kids say, "the excitement is real."

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Now shipped out samples to swedes for feedback and color matching, express delivery so should arrive tomorrow.

We also decided to accept these colors as is, and will not ask for another round of samples.

Offline menuhin

I know there's no second round.

But if there is, please consider possibility of getting sponsorship from IKEA.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
I know there's no second round.

But if there is, please consider possibility of getting sponsorship from IKEA.

Look out for the tactile version. ;) I'll contact ikea for sponsoring DIY-leaflets and ship in parts!

Offline wellbeing44

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 03:59:52 »
Ok, so let's start.

First off, the color look goods to me - but I do not have a pantone catalogue. I will send out samples to Swedes with access to good photography setups + pantone catalogues for some comparisons tomorrow - we in the community are however satisfied just based on the color in photos and IRL, even if it's off the pantone by a lil bit.

Some photos shot with my iPhone, don't got access to a DSLR today (I will tomorrow):
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Light source reduced to half:
Show Image

bonus bedroom conditions
Show Image

They look good to me, but on to other details:
- Springs are not the same as Gateron yellow
- They feel slightly lighter than Gateron Yellows (perhaps because of the nature of gat yellow springs?)
- No unordinary spring ping (to the degree that I did not notice it stock)
- Wobble is the same as Gateron Yellow
- Feels equally smooth as a Gateron yellow, perhaps slightly better than yellow and more towards a tealio (both in hand and in board) - difficult to tell with the inconsistent lube stock
- Lube job is inconsistent, common with gateron factory lubed switches. Lubed very lightly, easily lube anything else ontop
- Nylon housing definitely changes the sound signature stock

Only board I have available right now to test sound in that is hotswap is a HHKB tofu, I recorded some sound clips.
All sound clips are with R1 GMK caps.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11nJsA0A4UjpjJmx4mx66mWZeAbhhYA6r

Clips are recorded in the order the file names are (black is actually vint black).
Clips of both stock and 205g0 lubed linjär vs others.

In summary, Nylon housing definitely changes the sound signature, just as we wanted! It may not be too obvious in the clips, but keep in mind that the board used is top mount and not known for sounding good in general.
It is more obvious to me when listening in my hand, but that does not really tell much other than that they are "different", I can't really judge how good Linjär really can sound.

My quick analysis. Tomorrow I will be sending out samples to a few swedes to make their own comparisons and base their own opinions. We will also get some pantone comparisons for you guys!

Thanks for providing pictures with different light sources! Although I can't see it in person, I have a pretty good idea of what they look like. Looking good! :thumb:

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
Nice! Appreciate the sound comparisons, too.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Hi Everyone, sorry, but another update.

The community was divided about the sample, so we have told Gateron to hold off until more people clear the samples.

Tomorrow we will post some better photos, also next to pantone catalogues. Sorry for the delay, but the end result is the most important to us.

Offline Darknight00z

Thanks for the update, the samples did look a bit off from the renders.

Offline Chaselicious17

The community was divided about the sample, so we have told Gateron to hold off until more people clear the samples.

Tomorrow we will post some better photos, also next to pantone catalogues. Sorry for the delay, but the end result is the most important to us.

I would much rather have a delayed success than a rushed failure. Thank you for the updates and hard work!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord

I would much rather have a delayed success than a rushed failure. Thank you for the updates and hard work!

Yes, thanks! It is difficult as we decide as a community. Many different voices and opinions.

On one side, we have the camp that is like "it's just a meme, who cares if it is a shade or two off, it looks good enough and you can easily tell the colors are based on the swedish flag"
the other side are the ones that want to deliver a more accurate color, but even this side tends to be OK with the color being slightly off with the argument "it's not GMK, we are not matching keycaps here.." but still want it to be fairly accurate.

We will see, samples should arrive to other swedes now. I have asked them to report their feedback in the thread and without being influenced by others opinions. :)

Offline Gabbzan

just got my sample switch and took some quick pictures https://imgur.com/a/wNGaFvq

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
I took some more, this time with a DSLR white balanced off of a white sheet of paper.

We found out that requesting a new sample might delay the shipping up to 8 weeks, if not longer. IMO the switch looks good, we will find out soon after we match to pantones. I also found out Gateron can't really match perfectly like GMK would be able to for example, so we might have to compromise. In any case, switch looks great to me!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I took some more, this time with a DSLR white balanced off of a white sheet of paper.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

We found out that requesting a new sample might delay the shipping up to 8 weeks, if not longer. IMO the switch looks good, we will find out soon after we match to pantones. I also found out Gateron can't really match perfectly like GMK would be able to for example, so we might have to compromise. In any case, switch looks great to me!

Thanks for the update!

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
I do wish the blue looks just a little bit more muted. The sample looks just a little bit too saturated for me, but maybe that was because of the light. That being said, I'm cool either way. Very nice job overall  :thumb:

214615-0
214617-1