Author Topic: [GB] Linjär switch [COMPLETED]  (Read 63462 times)

Offline dhb82

I do wish the blue looks just a little bit more muted. The sample looks just a little bit too saturated for me, but maybe that was because of the light. That being said, I'm cool either way. Very nice job overall  :thumb:

Tbh, the render looks nothing like IKEA or the SWE flag, the blue is too dark, but i hear you, i like the muted blue aswell, but if they are going for a meme switch, the one they got now is the one that matches the colors.

Offline TheMnBN

I do wish the blue looks just a little bit more muted. The sample looks just a little bit too saturated for me, but maybe that was because of the light. That being said, I'm cool either way. Very nice job overall  :thumb:

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

I'm more interested in feel and sound profile but I must say I have nothing against the IKEA-ish blue  ;D

Offline Starius

I was also preferring the darker blue of the render for my own purposes, but I gotta say the samples do look more accurate compared to the flag colors.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Its your set Emir and you know IKEA better than any of us :)

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
I'm interested in the sound too. The color is a nice bonus.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Ship it. 8 weeks is too long to wait to for something hidden under keycaps. And I like the bright colors.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Yes, I want it to be the best possible, but to my understanding Gateron has specific time frames alotted for production, and changes will push it back to the end of the queue. I did not know this prior, but this is what we are dealing with. Even if we ask for new renders, admittedly they are not matching up to GMK standard anyway, so we might not even get an exact match even after the next round of samples, if there is one.

The KBDFans renders are probably too dark, it does not remind me of the Swedish flag as much as our original renders.
None of the renders have the same lighting as the shots showed, so we can't make a fair comparison in any case. We will wait for the swedish guy with the pantone references to take some shots, then we will know for sure how close or far off it is.

In any case, we are all in agreement to the most important question to us: Do the switches look like Sweden? Yes.

We are aware that many people bought this because they like the colors in the render, not necessarily it being "Swedish" per say - and those might be very upset.

We do not know what to do yet, but want to be as transparent as we can - I hope everyone can understand the situation we are in, and we want to please everyone including ourselves.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 02:33:58 by Emir »

Offline leece3

F*ck the renders, ship it! If anyone wants the perfect 2$ switch, make another group buy..

Offline DasGnome

I don't really care about waiting since I have no idea what I'm going to use for these, but a rough Ikea color match is all I wanted and seems to have been achieved already. lol

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
Ideally I'd prefer them to be darker, but honestly they look good already and I'm sure most people wouldn't want to wait the long amount of time it may take to get new ones.

Offline Janne

Hello friends!
I got two sample switches from Emir today, and I've got to say that while they don't look quite as dark as the renders, they look good enough for me personally.
The alternative is to wait another 11 weeks, and I really do not want that. I put one of them in my 3x3 switch tester and with keycaps on, it obviously looks darker.
Keep in mind though that I've been part of making the switch.

I have yet to lube one of them to test, but when it comes to feel, I think it feels a tiny bit less scratchier than the Gateron Yellows. It has a slightly different spring. The spring does not sound as much as the one in the Gat Yellows.
The Linjär is slightly scratchier compared to Zeal's Tealio switch. Both of them are completely stock and unlubed.
I will report back later when I have lubed one of them. It will be lubed with Krytox 205g0.

Offline Smoff

• 817 785
    • Youtube
Hey! My Linjär samples showed up today!
Bad photo from basement like conditions:

IMO they look a lot better in person. The pictures I've seen (including mine obviously) looks a lot brighter. However the blue is a little off in my opinion, but still good enough.

Sound test recorded with my phone, all switches slightly lubed with 204g0: https://soundcloud.com/ffoms/linjarsound
-They feel really good and sound really good, even better than I expected. (even though you can't really hear it on the sound test)
-I would say that they are equally smooth to my r9-10 tealios stock and lubed.
-Spring feels the same as gateron yellow to me.
-About the same amount of wobble as a gateron yellow.

Ideally I'd prefer them to be darker as well, but I don't think it is worth to wait 11 weeks to MAYBE have more a more accurate blue.
Current boards: Matrix 1.2 OG | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Cherry g80-1000 | Cherry g80-3000 | Matrix 2.0add | Matrix Noah

Boards on the way: Duck Orion v2.5 | Matrix Falcon

Previous boards: BOK.CP | Duck Orion v3 | Mech27v2 | HHKB pro2 x3 | Cherry g80-11800 | NIU mini | Klippe r1 | Brutal60 | Duck Unicorn x Legend | Duck jetfire | Cherry g80-1800 | IDB60 | PC Salamander | Lin Whale r2 | LZ Physix | Duck Viper v3 |

Offline Chaselicious17

I am of the opinion that since the switch aren't on display in a final product (keycaps cover the switches) and if the feel of the switch is good (which is what it seems like people are reporting) then they shouldn't go through another 8-11 weeks of essentially twiddling thumbs and waiting. My opinion is selfish though since I just want them ASAP to put on my new TKC1800 that's collecting dust in the meantime :<

Offline Sic_Alpha

I'm in for 110 of these from NK.  My vote is they're close enough; Do it!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 15:15:22 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline Starius

I am of the opinion that since the switch aren't on display in a final product (keycaps cover the switches) and if the feel of the switch is good (which is what it seems like people are reporting) then they shouldn't go through another 8-11 weeks of essentially twiddling thumbs and waiting. My opinion is selfish though since I just want them ASAP to put on my new TKC1800 that's collecting dust in the meantime :<

That's the same board I want to put mine on too.  :thumb:

Offline CarlQs

I think that the color accuracy definitely isnt my hugest priority, given, im not a Swede but looking at photos and im sure in person I doubt theres much confusion as to what the switch represents. I definitely want to see how these switches sound in different boards and with different stems. excited to get mine! at 35c per switch i probably shoulda gotten more... roselios distracted me :/ I have milky gat yellows in my daily driver, YOK pandas ready for my tofu, and healios in my board for work so theres a lot of linear competition for these in my case!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
 Hi everyone, we've decided to move ahead with the production as a community, and after most of the feedback in this thread.

We are aware that it is a few shades lighter than we initially wanted, but delaying the production for something that isn't guaranteed isn't a risk we want to take. Gateron can't match perfectly like for example GMK would be able to, and we are actually happy with the switch.

The switch feels and sounds good, and honestly, Sweden aside, it looks quite good. Everyone who received samples relayed back that they look better in person than what they expected from my initial photos, so that's good too.

It portrays Sweden quite well as is, we are happy with it.

To anyone who wanted something exactly as the render, we as a community offer our sincerest apologies, but we don't think we will be able to get it much more accurate. Gateron already tried to match the pantone, so us relaying back "just make it darker" might make it more worse in the end. It is nice, I hope you will all like it!

One person that got a sample noticed the blues are just a tiiiiiiiiiny bit different between top and bottom, and tried it in UV light:

We have no idea why the bottom specifically reacts to UV, but I will ask Gateron about it. I spoke to some people and a reason COULD be that gateron uses a slightly different nylon composition for bottoms with some very fine powder in order to make the bottoms more smooth. We will test with some other switches and hope Gateron has an answer for it.

TL;DR - PRODUCTION TIME!

Offline wellbeing44

• kebord good kebord fun yum yum
Could it be PTFE?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub

TL;DR - PRODUCTION TIME!

Oh boy oh boy oh boy
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Hi Everyone,

Well, not even Gateron could tell us why the bottom reacts to UV. They explained that the composition between top and bottom differs, and thus under direct sun light, you might notice a slight color difference. It's not something I or others noticed, besides 1 person who really looked for it, so don't be worried about that.

They have the "go ahead" anyway, let's see how long production will take! :)

Offline HomerSp

Hi Everyone,

Well, not even Gateron could tell us why the bottom reacts to UV. They explained that the composition between top and bottom differs, and thus under direct sun light, you might notice a slight color difference. It's not something I or others noticed, besides 1 person who really looked for it, so don't be worried about that.

They have the "go ahead" anyway, let's see how long production will take! :)
Hopefully not too long - can't wait!  :D

Offline sendrim

• Instagram
Hey!

I took color-accurate pictures today. Many thanks to my design mentor who hooked me up with someone who had different Pantone-charts in Stockholm. I haven't asked them for permission to shout them out here so I'll just keep it to myself for now.

My goal with these pictures was not to get them pretty, but rather color-correct. I'll take the beautyshots later...

This is a poorly converted JPEG (there is a link to the untouched RAW-files below)

Gear used:
Canon EOS 6d
Sigma 150mm APO DG Macro
Canon SpeedLight
An all white room

Link to the RAW photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dkrfplLX34OPaMe9ZssOIIVapdf9l16R
I like SA

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
These samples were accidentally made plate-mount correct?

Offline sendrim

• Instagram
These samples were accidentally made plate-mount correct?

Correct, the final product will have 5 legs (allignment pins)
I like SA

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Hey!

I took color-accurate pictures today. Many thanks to my design mentor who hooked me up with someone who had different Pantone-charts in Stockholm. I haven't asked them for permission to shout them out here so I'll just keep it to myself for now.

My goal with these pictures was not to get them pretty, but rather color-correct. I'll take the beautyshots later...

This is a poorly converted JPEG (there is a link to the untouched RAW-files below)
Show Image

Gear used:
Canon EOS 6d
Sigma 150mm APO DG Macro
Canon SpeedLight
An all white room

Link to the RAW photos:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dkrfplLX34OPaMe9ZssOIIVapdf9l16R

TBH it surprised all of us how close it actually is. Keep in mind this is comparing plastic to paper, and they react to light differently so it's hard to get a real idea. However, it's ****ing close in any case, I am satisfied with this, and so are the rest of our community! Thanks for the great shots Sendrim! :)

Offline sendrim

• Instagram
TBH it surprised all of us how close it actually is. Keep in mind this is comparing plastic to paper, and they react to light differently so it's hard to get a real idea. However, it's ****ing close in any case, I am satisfied with this, and so are the rest of our community! Thanks for the great shots Sendrim! :)

Well, thank you! :)
I like SA

Offline menuhin

I saw some signs of lube of the lower housing in the photo - is it just me?

How do you guys plan to lube? just upper housing, just stem, or both? And then springs?
And are there blue lubes or yellow lubes to pair with?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ctrl

Looking great! Glad I got in on this! :thumb:

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
I saw some signs of lube of the lower housing in the photo - is it just me?

How do you guys plan to lube? just upper housing, just stem, or both? And then springs?
And are there blue lubes or yellow lubes to pair with?

Prepare to lube yourself. Gaterons factory lubing is a little inconsistent we've found, so you're safest to do it yourself.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
So I've actually not heard back from Gateron (even sent a reminder), so I don't have first hand status reports to share. However, proxies have relayed to me that the production has started and is expected to be done by 10th of April. I will try to get in touch with Gateron for a confirmation personally as well, but we are moving along and everything is paid!

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
Re: [GB] Linjär switch - Mekaniska Tangentbord Sverige [Manufacturing]
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 08:53:15 »
...However, proxies have relayed to me that the production has started and is expected to be done by 10th of April...

NICE!

April Can't get here fast enough! Excited to get these switches all lubed up and clackin!

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 22:52:59 »
So I've actually not heard back from Gateron (even sent a reminder), so I don't have first hand status reports to share. However, proxies have relayed to me that the production has started and is expected to be done by 10th of April. I will try to get in touch with Gateron for a confirmation personally as well, but we are moving along and everything is paid!

I can't wait - I have a brass Boardwalk that's waiting for these and Godspeed caps!
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 00:12:19 »
Brass Boardwalk? You aren't talking about the ortholinear PCB are you? Just curious.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 06:10:31 »
I have received a lot of PMs from people that missed out, and wondering if I can sell them some of mine (people asked to buy here in the thread too from others).

There will be SOME extras at all 3 proxies, on their own account - so please get those after shipment is done. As it is only one production run and extras are limited, don't wait to grab yours! :)
Each proxy did this non-profit with us, so rather than paying flipping dolphins on mechmarket, support the proxies who did this basically for free first. <3

Offline Prelim

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 07:36:07 »
I've contacted the EU proxy, but didn't get any reply yet :(
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 11:12:17 »
I've contacted the EU proxy, but didn't get any reply yet :(

Might have to wait a bit, the extras were bought for those who missed out and more importantly to ensure if any deliveries to the GB participants get lost, the proxy can have extra stock to replace those orders.

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 11:36:08 »
Brass Boardwalk? You aren't talking about the ortholinear PCB are you? Just curious.

I'm talking exactly about that, yes :)

Brass plate, and a PVD bronze case. The blue and yellow on these switches should fit well with all those components and Godspeed caps.
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 11:49:01 »
Oooo. Got any pics or a link to that PVD case. Sounds quite nice  :thumb:

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 10:01:22 »

:cool:

Offline bard

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 12:27:15 »
Show Image

is it done?  :cool:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 13:02:49 »
Show Image

Pretty excited to see them done.  I've got my No.1 65% silver with blue accents waiting for these. 

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 13:44:56 »
Show Image

I just wanna put my hands in that pile and pick them all up. The gf and I are really excited for these, especially after hearing from someone who had samples that they sound and feel really good.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:17:51 »
I'm making the ultimate IKEA board! Can't wait to get these switches in! I'll be putting these on my cerakoted 60XT (Poseidon Blue case w/ Electric Yellow Stripes and plate) Plus SA Nautilus to top it all off!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 20:11:38 »
Hello!

Switches are done and are being shipped (need to confirm with all proxies, but kbdfans will receive theirs shortly)!

This means that Linjär is soon in your hands. ;)

Offline TheMnBN

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 20:18:56 »
Hello!

Switches are done and are being shipped (need to confirm with all proxies, but kbdfans will receive theirs shortly)!

This means that Linjär is soon in your hands. ;)

Hype!  :thumb:

Offline Zeit

• I melt at 26°C!
Re: [GB] Linjär switch - Mekaniska Tangentbord Sverige [Shipping to proxies]
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 31 March 2019, 00:00:05 »
Ordered quite a few of these via KBDFans, hopefully there's extras that we could easily grab some of!
IBM Model F AT - Dell AT101 Linearised - KBD67 HSE Black Gateron Inks - HHKB Pro 2 Black

Offline bball2

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 00:22:56 »
Just got my shipping notification from KBDfans  :thumb:

Offline TunnaTown

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 00:38:20 »
Me too.
It looks like our switches are on their Wei.  :cool:

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 16:32:42 »
En route from Wei. Soon we will SKRATTAR, boys

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 16:44:18 »
All proxies have confirmed that they have samples on the way to them. Happy to hear kbdfans is shipping out already! :D