Author Topic: For Canadians: Ducky One w/Cherry MX Whites, $81.24 Cdn. shipped  (Read 4638 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
For Canadians: Ducky One w/Cherry MX Whites, $81.24 Cdn. shipped
« on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 18:32:39 »
Finally, something I can share specifically with my Canadian pals:

Ducky One with Cherry MX White switches

Double-shot ABS keys, orange legends

It's here at CanadaDirect.com for $81.24 Cdn. + free Canada ground shipping

Here's the product page on Ducky's website.

If you've wondered about Cherry MX Whites (80 Cn, tactile with soft click—referred to in Asia as Cherry MX "Milk" to distinguish them from MX Clears), here's a great chance to try them in a solid major-brand board.

NCIX's lowest price is $109.00 Cdn. (and they wouldn't match, I asked).

BTW, with the Canadian dollar currently around 73 cents U.S., $81.24 Cdn. equals around $59 U.S. ... Every now and then, it's nice not to feel penalized for living up here, KB-wise.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: For Canadians: Ducky One w/Cherry MX Whites, $81.24 Cdn. shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 02:54:19 »
I now realize that one of the reasons this may be so inexpensive is that it's the non-backlit version. However, it's the only colorway of the series with double-shot keys (the others being dye-sub).

Neither the Canada Direct nor NCIX pages mention anything about the lack of backlighting. That'd probably be a good idea. It doesn't matter to me, though, personally... The idea of good typing is to not look at your hands, so light-up boards have always seemed to me a kind of marketing gimmick. This is a board for people who want to type!

Mine arrived today... I couldn't pass up a deal like this. I'll post a review of it in the Keyboards section.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 December 2016, 05:00:44 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 20:02:46 »
Sorry to exhume post to an old thread... Just thought I'd show you how this board looked now that I've replaced Ducky's dull-orange-on-black buttons with a double-shot Dolch-colourway set:

171512-0

There wasn't much I could do about the Fn or media buttons—but still, a distinct improvement, wouldn't you say?

The new buttons were only around $15 shipped from Taiwan, so I'm still happy with the deal. And MX Whites rock, IMHO.

Okay, thanks for your attention. Cheers, A.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 20:36:14 »
[further annoying comment deleted]

Offline Harshmallow

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 14:45:29 »
A little late to this, but I did buy this same keyboard from NCIX when it was on sale for $89.99. Though I really liked it at first and definitely prefer the soft click to the usual Cherry MX click, over time I had to stop using it regularly. It was my daily at work for about a month because it was quiet enough to not bother anyone (until one annoying coworker loudly pointed out how LOUD my keyboard was when she was at my desk, then my neighbour started focusing on it : /).

Anyway, I found that my fingers would get tired towards the end of the day. I don't think it was due to the stiffness though - I think it's because of the inconsistency of the switches - some click and have great tactility and some are virtually linear. I regularly use Model M & F buckling springs at home and now have a tactile space invader board at work, so I do enjoy stiff switches. I just wish the Cherry MX Whites were a little more consistent.
IBM Model M 42H1292 Born in UK May 10, 1996 // Cooler Master Novatouch TKL // Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue // Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Silent

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 23:46:35 »
A little late to this, but I did buy this same keyboard from NCIX when it was on sale for $89.99...

Which, again, I might point out to the Americans reading this, was only around $59 in "real" money.  ;?)

Though I really liked it at first and definitely prefer the soft click to the usual Cherry MX click, over time I had to stop using it regularly. It was my daily at work for about a month because it was quiet enough to not bother anyone (until one annoying coworker loudly pointed out how LOUD my keyboard was when she was at my desk, then my neighbour started focusing on it : /).[

No one claims the MX White is a "quiet" switch, simply that it's quieter than MX Blues (or Greens, to which it could be more directly compared).

It's too bad that even during this great resurgence of appreciation for the productivity-enhancing pleasure of MKs, this anti-click stigma still exists. You need to find yourself a whole office full of happy clicky KB users. Such enlightened businesses aren't common, but they're out there. It may require a minor shift in your career focus—but let's face it: These days, people rarely end up in the fields their degrees apply to. It's the Wild West out there again, employment-wise.

I found that my fingers would get tired towards the end of the day. I don't think it was due to the stiffness though - I think it's because of the inconsistency of the switches - some click and have great tactility and some are virtually linear. I regularly use Model M & F buckling springs at home and now have a tactile space invader board at work, so I do enjoy stiff switches. I just wish the Cherry MX Whites were a little more consistent.

How odd that you'd find them "inconsistent". Cherry is all about consistency; they're the consistency standard all the other switch-makers seek to emulate.

MX Whites must pass the same rigid QA testing of any other Cherry switches. And Ducky is a major, well respected player in the MK world; I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen complains about their solid boards. (You just took the pinkie.)

If you didn't have such an outstanding reputation in the MK community, H., I might suspect this was an attempt to discredit Cherry and Ducky, perhaps on behalf of one of the many fledgling clone-makers who are using every means possible to gain footholds in the MK community. Clearly that'd be an outlandish assumption, though, given your long record of valuable contributions to GK, and to keebheads everywhere.

Therefore I can only assume you didn't quite anticipate the MX White's 80 cN actuation force—a full 60% more than MX Blues. Let's face it: Stiffer switches aren't for everyone. (There's no risk to your manhood, of course; we're all friends here.) It's understandable that under less muscular hands, some switches would start feeling different than others due to the different rates at which such fingers fatigue.

This should come as a relief. No, neither Cherry nor Ducky have suddenly let slip their carefully guarded standards. And no, you're not going crazy. It's just physiology.

I'm glad you brought this up—so that we, as an experienced and ever-helpful community, could lay your fears to rest.