Author Topic: I won a Wii!  (Read 2392 times)

Offline lam47

I won a Wii!
« on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 11:12:36 »
Yeah I won a Wii in an instant win Cadbury competition.
Not sure if I should keep it or not.
I can only see a few potential games for it like Tatsunoko vs capcom and sin and punishment 2.
Has anyone got one of these and can recommend it? Im not a casual gamer and I generally only play 2d fighters and some PC games.
They seem to sell for about £160 new so might be worth selling.

Interested in Wii opinions.

x
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline Mercen_505

I won a Wii!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 11:27:42 »
I've got around 30 games or so for it.

Unfortunately, the Wii isn't strong on 2d Fighters right now, but there are plenty of good games if you're willing to ignore all the shovelware. I'd pick up the following: No More Heroes, Metroid Prime 3, Zack and Wiki, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, Smash Brothers Brawl, and of course Mario Galaxy. There's a bunch more I'd be happy to recommend but given your stated proclivities I don't think you'll care for them in particular.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
I won a Wii!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 12:09:43 »
I'll be getting one for my kids as soon as I can order online (or find it in stock) at a Walmart.  My kids have around $300 in Walmart gift cards and want to use them for a Wii.  (so it may be a while)

We've got a PS3 that I only use for Madden...but the kids have several games they play on it.

Offline CX23882

I won a Wii!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 14:07:28 »
I love the Wii.  Easily the best games console I've ever played on, and fun for all the family.  I say keep it.

Offline victheslik

I won a Wii!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 15:00:26 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:21:33 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline Therac-25

I won a Wii!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 15:03:41 »
I got one on release (stood in line, etc).

I just don't play games anymore.  I enjoyed Zelda on release, and Boom Blox is all kinds of fun, but I don't really spend much time with it.

However, if you like retro gaming, the Virtual Console kicks ass.  I haven't been keeping up with it, but there were a bunch of cool retro games out for it that I never played the first time round.

Alien Soldier was awesome, if you enjoy a challenge.  

All in all, I haven't played it in months.  But then again, I haven't played any games in months, so YMMV.
das keyboard model s professional
HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Tenkeyless Blue
Model M Mini

Offline lam47

I won a Wii!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 15:03:54 »
I cant play SF at a competitive level but I can with KOF. Can't wait for 12!
Im thinking sell it and buy a happy hacker.
Just got to try and find the cheapest option.
Anyone in Asia want to make a few bob?
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline DMuk

I won a Wii!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 January 2009, 15:17:01 »
I was bought one as a gift. I'd wasn't that bothered about buying one of the latest consoles but once I found out about the Homebrew Channel, everything became good. Go here:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_your_Wii_for_Homebrew

There are loads of emulators available plus other stuff (i.e playing burnt discs).

GBAtemp is the place for that:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=108

Have fun...

Offline victheslik

I won a Wii!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 January 2009, 02:24:15 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:21:28 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
I won a Wii!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 17:08:49 »
As DMuk also recommends, get all the homebrew stuff.  For me, this is easily the console's greatest strength.  The dearth of good games for it would have caused me to sell it easily by now if it wasn't for that.  There are some good games though.  No More Heroes is simply incredible.  You have to get that game.  Seriously.  And for anyone outside North America: import it from there.  You don't want the terribly and obviously censored version that got sold in the rest of the world.

If you want a good 2D fighting game, there's always Guilty Gear XX ^Core.  Once again, this game was censored — for the uncensored version, you'll want to import the game from Japan — but still, this game is pretty awesome.