Author Topic: [IC] CherpKeys - Hand-Painted 3D Novelty Keycaps  (Read 4910 times)

Offline cherpalla

[IC] CherpKeys - Hand-Painted 3D Novelty Keycaps
« on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 15:58:48 »
After showing a project I've been working on (one of many that exists in my brain), some folks showed interest in buying it and others.

Keycaps would be available in either plastic (transparent or opaque) or metal, or both, depending on the design. All keys with colored details will be hand-painted by me and sealed. I currently have Cherry MX and Topre 3-D models for mounts - I would be willing to make others if there is demand and I can get my hands on a keycap to model after (and someone to guinea pig that it fits and stays put).

Keycaps would be available in either limited runs, or by request (except for limited run keycaps, to be fair to buyers). Popular special requests can be turned into limited runs, instead of special requests (save on production costs and shipping).

This is my first keycap. It is UV-cured Acrylic Polymer, painted with glass stain & glitter, acrylic paint on the eyes, and sealed with automotive-quality clear coat.

Plastic keycaps would be ~$25-$30, depending on level of detail. Metal keycaps will range from $40 (matte steel) to $150 (solid sterling silver), depending on the metals appropriate for the design. Custom requests would vary, but usually will be slightly higher cost.

If the price for a particular run of keycap is slightly higher than normal, I will disclose the reason.

If you're interested in me selling these as I describe please reply!

What is your preferred mount(s)?
Would you be interested in novelty keycaps other than R4 1x1?
What is your preferred profile for novelty keycaps?
Are you interested in themed sets, (ie: Mario set would be mystery block, two brick blocks, Starman and a Mario)?
Are you interested in limited run keycaps or custom requests, or both?
c h e r

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [IC] CherpKeys - Hand-Painted 3D Novelty Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 16:13:02 »
I'm interested in seeing where this goes.   :thumb:

I'd like to see some Buckling Spring caps come out of this, personally.   ;D

Offline geniekid

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 16:20:32 »
I would be interested in one-time custom requests with the understanding that this may cost a significant premium.

That star cap looks great...though I wouldn't buy one personally because I'd end up bleeding all over my keyboard.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 16:43:17 »
Interested in Sushi Caps :3

Interested in seeing what other designs you have coming up!  :thumb:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 16:47:33 »
I need this for my Topre pls <3

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 16:54:05 »
Cute cap, if turns into a thing I'd love a little metal shuriken keycap for Topre. Tell us how it goes!
Sushi caps please.  :D
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 16:55:34 »
The star in an Alps Stem 1x1. I would like one please :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 17:23:07 »
You may consider to manufacture other profiles like SA and DSA. As they are interchangeable it may cause the demand.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:25:25 »
You may consider to manufacture other profiles like SA and DSA. As they are interchangeable it may cause the demand.

Thinking about this, would you do any profile? For instance, could you go OEM, DSA, Cherry, etc. or would you rather only use one?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:34:55 »
I think I'm interested in this.

A lot.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:35:00 »
What is your preferred mount(s)?
Would you be interested in novelty keycaps other than R4 1x1?
What is your preferred profile for novelty keycaps?
Are you interested in themed sets, (ie: Mario set would be mystery block, two brick blocks, Starman and a Mario)?
Are you interested in limited run keycaps or custom requests, or both?
1) Cherry
2) Yes. I think you could probably make a cool pipe keyR4 2x1 key.
3) DCS, though I've never seen a DSA molded keycap, so that might be cool.
4) Yeah, that sounds awesome.
5) Limited runs are cool, and I'm sure some people will enjoy custom requests.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 22:15:56 »

Thinking about this, would you do any profile? For instance, could you go OEM, DSA, Cherry, etc. or would you rather only use one?

As long as I have the models or the capability to make the model (something to model after, that is), any profile can be made, though for limited runs of my own ideas/designs, I'll probably stick to one. For customs, sky's the limit (within reason).
c h e r

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 10:01:31 »

As long as I have the models or the capability to make the model (something to model after, that is), any profile can be made, though for limited runs of my own ideas/designs, I'll probably stick to one. For customs, sky's the limit (within reason).

Sounds good, excited to see where this goes.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 10:09:06 »
Most novelties are made in R1 DCS (cherry like) profile, a few are offered in SA profile, but almost none in DSA. If you offer this it may be a nitche market, with the advantage that it can be use anywhere in the keyboard.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 10:17:05 »
Most novelties are made in R1 DCS (cherry like) profile, a few are offered in SA profile, but almost none in DSA. If you offer this it may be a nitche market, with the advantage that it can be use anywhere in the keyboard.

It may be a niche market, but doesn't DSA only work on, you know, DSA sets? If I have an OEM profile set, it would be lower than the other caps, wouldn't it?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:02:09 »

It may be a niche market, but doesn't DSA only work on, you know, DSA sets? If I have an OEM profile set, it would be lower than the other caps, wouldn't it?

The shape is similar to the middle rows in a cherry profile keyset, the main difference is with the top row. Of course is shorter than most OEM profile keys.

Offline Harrowed

• My wallet has been hacked
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:41:29 »
I want limited run of solid sterling silver ISO enter with buckling spring mount and massive 3D castle designed on top of that.

If that sounds little bit too much I would be set for limited runs of MX mount 1x1 esc row caps with various changing designs :)

Ergodox MX Blues | Rosewill RK-9000

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:44:06 »
I want limited run of solid sterling silver ISO enter with buckling spring mount and massive 3D castle designed on top of that.

If that sounds little bit too much I would be set for limited runs of MX mount 1x1 esc row caps with various changing designs :)

:blank:
c h e r

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 12:02:18 »
Lol

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 13:20:06 »

The shape is similar to the middle rows in a cherry profile keyset, the main difference is with the top row. Of course is shorter than most OEM profile keys.

Can we assume that most people don't have a custom key set? Or perhaps the point isn't so important seeing as the answer that all are available so people don't have to compromise has been given. Ah well.  :))

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:29:20 »
MX Keycaps, Interested in green/matte black keys, however not sure what your intentions are and what you like to make, as I like dark stuff, but once I think of what I need I'll see if your willing, I'd prefer a black matte steel, or a lime green plastic keycap, possibly acryllic (sp?)
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 17:06:17 »
OKAY. I'm going to get organized and make this available. I'm designing my first Limited Run keycap AS WE TYPE.

I've decided keycaps will fall into the following categories, with the following choices:

Customs
- Custom Design
- Mount type
- Row
- Size
- Material (from available)
- Painting (optional)
- Decoration (optional, depends on what I can get my hands on)

Turn-around time will depend on design time, complexity involving painting and production time based on material chosen. Cost will be quoted based on idea and material desired.

Made-To-Order
- From a selection of pre-designed keycaps of pre-determined sizes/rows in a common profile
- Mounts for MTO's will start out as Cherry MX and/or Topre, if another mount is requested, it will be added to the availability after it has been modeled
- Material (from available)
- Painting (optional)

Turn-around time will depend on complexity of painting and production time of chosen material. Cost will be listed for each material. Requesting a new mount will not increase the cost, but it will increase the turn-around time.

Limited Runs
Limited runs will be hinted at, pre-made, announced and sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. Depending on my idea for each run, volumes will be fairly small. This could be as few as 5 keycaps or as many as 20. I will let everyone know ahead of time what I am planning. SOME OF MY IDEAS ARE CRAZY.

Everything will be packed and shipped carefully with love and shipping costs will be kept as small as possible.

If you have an idea for a keycap, but do not want to pay a premium price for a custom, one-of-a-kind keycap, send me a message and I'll see if it's something I could turn into an MTO or a LR. I love ideas!!

I'm going to start up a new thread in the Artisan section. Thank you everyone for your responses!

Cher  :-*
c h e r

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 16:13:33 »
My gosh I would be your bestist friend ever, although I think I am with that star keycap anyway :x

I would love to pay top £ for that so very interested!

Oppie :S just seen your last post about putting a thread up, will await that then :x gotta get that star Any possibility in adding Glitter to the star love glitter I do that way it really sparkles :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 April 2014, 16:15:43 by Fire Brand »
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 16:34:15 »
I don't know why I find this so funny. :)) I've just never scene anyone say anything other then top $. I must just be a dumb american. :p

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 17:01:04 »
I don't know why I find this so funny. :)) I've just never scene anyone say anything other then top $. I must just be a dumb american. :p

I don't use this monopoly monies that why :p No just makes sence for me to say my home currency pound sterling
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 19:45:28 »
Thanks everyone! Thread is up in the Artisan Forum!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57263.0
c h e r