Author Topic: Keyboard of the month - April - Nominations  (Read 15255 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
Keyboard of the month - April - Nominations
« on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 06:28:11 »
Someone pin me please  :'(

It's a day late (I was playing GTA and this work week is awful, my bad) but here it is, the nominations for Keyboard of the Month for April.

I also thought this was going to be in my own sub-forum, but maybe next month ;)

Last month's winner was Yoe's 60% custom Alps build

By now you should all know the score. Please post your nominations of boards that have been posted to the forums within the month of April. Please also include a link to the original post for additional pictures and verification.

We had 13 different boards nominated, and 86 (proper) votes last month, which is a fantastic improvement on the previous month.

Previous threads can be found here:
More

Rules can be found here:
More
1.   A nomination thread will go up for the last two weeks of every month. You can nominate anybody you like, (even yourself) and any person can have any number of nominations every month.

a.   These boards should be ones you are drawn to, ones that stand out for one reason or another. Keysets, modifications, whatever you fancy. I don’t want to have to post guidelines or restrictions on the boards, but I may change this depending on the types of submissions we get over the first few months. Please also say a little bit about each board you nominate, as to the reasons why you think it deserves to be up for KOTM.

b.   The board must have been posted to the forums since the start of the calendar month. It can have been posted before then, but you must provide a link to the images that were posted after the first day of the calendar month.

c.   Keyboards may be resubmitted in subsequent months, but they must have had a picture or progress posted within the calendar month that they are nominated for.

d.   NO THEMES RIGHT NOW. These may or may not follow in the coming months. This also may or may not tie in with the calendar that may or may not happen at the end of next year.

2.   However, after the initial two week period of nominations, a user will only have ONE board get through to the final public voting process. The final three nominees will be selected by myself from the most nominated and praised board in the nomination thread. E.G. If one board is posted and has the most +1s, quotes or references  by other users in said thread, that will be chosen as one of the final three. Essentially, there is a crowd unofficial voting before the public voting. The final three are not up to me, they are up to you.

3.   PLEASE post some good quality photos of the board you are nominating. I’m not looking for Macro lenses and DSLRs, but maybe more than one, top down, blurry shot would be nice. I realise if it isn’t your board there isn’t much you can do about it, but just pick a couple that aren’t terrible from an album or post.

4.   On the 1st of every month, a poll thread will go up. This will consist of three finalists. Again, a user will only have one of their boards get through to this stage during any particular month. You can of course be nominated on another month. There will be one vote per person, and the results will remain anonymous until the voting closes.

5.   After a period of one week, the voting will be closed and a winner will be announced. The winner will be posted both on that month's voting thread, and the following month's nominations thread. I’m not sure if there will be a prize every month, but if there is then I will sort it out and backdate it if I come up with one in a few months time.

6.   The winner of each monthly process will go through to the ANNUAL KEYBOARD OF THE YEAR process, and the winner of the will DEFINITELY win a prize which I will work out in a year’s time.

Nominations will last until whenever I get round to closing the thread on Thursday the 30th.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:37:37 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keyboard of the month - April - Nominations
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 01:14:38 »
I'll start by nominating snoopy's Kishsaver.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45475.msg1701928#msg1701928

97761-0

I've gone all buckling spring at the moment, and this one just seems to tick all the boxes (although I do not have a Kishsaver).  The Clack and Bro are the icing on the cake!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 03:32:19 »

I've gone all buckling spring at the moment, and this one just seems to tick all the boxes (although I do not have a Kishsaver).  The Clack and Bro are the icing on the cake!
+1

This photo (And most of the other kishsavers  :)) ) made me lust after one.

So gud.   :eek:

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 03:32:39 »
I was thinking of nominating my own Tipro, but once I saw Snoopy's godly keyboard I didn't have the guts to enter this month's competition!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 03:46:28 »
I would like to nominate Bro Caps ssk!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:11:59 »
Looks like this is going to be the battle of the buckling springs this month.  I would like to nominate my custom AT.  The thread is here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71148.0.  I will also post a quick pic here.

97843-0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 22:27:07 »
+1 hand to hand combat with BS! :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 23:17:20 »

VesperSAINT's G80-1800.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 08:13:38 »
Dorkvader's TexScan MSI Hall Effect Board. That colorway is killer. Very GB-able if I say so myself.

Fullcream's custom "average Pure case". This case is pure sex. I feel like it should be in some room at NASA in the 70s or in a missle silo somewhere in North Dakota. Reminds me of the Hall Effect numpads that Haata was selling.

intrio's Conchi. Once again I find something that's not quite built yet but is so cool! The thread looks like some weird biology or biomechanical experiment. It's weird in all the good ways. :D

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 21:56:36 »
Since we are in a Model M kick this month, I thought I would nominate a keyboard that isn't that special or spectacular.  What makes it special and spectacular to me is that it was a terminal board but has been faithfully made into a regular SDL - PS/2 keyboard.
A lot of people on here and other boards talk about converting their terminal boards all the time using a teensy mod or Soarer adapter, but why not just make it stock?
I have successfully turned several Model M terminal keyboards into regular SDL - PS/2 keyboards that can be used as daily drivers.
The nicest conversion is taking a Model M 1395162 101-key terminal board and changing it into a regular SDL - PS/2 keyboard.  It is vertually indistinguishable from the 1391401 once you add the LED panel to it.
So my nomination is my little 1395162 conversion.
I know it won't win.  Hell, my SSK looks a lot better, doesn't it?
But I am submitting it anyway.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61878.msg1721863#msg1721863

Let the battle of the Model M's commence.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 21:59:12 by Snowdog993 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 10:38:23 »
Forgot to post this. Yet another work in progress but still cool as hell. Vote for David is working on converting a Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 to MX. Good stuff here. Very detailed build log.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 11:41:27 »

(Attachment Link)

By far my favorite board posted on GH! This is my favorite picture of it.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 01:28:56 »
My +1s go to Snoopy's kish and Fullcream's custom. Those boards mayn  :-X

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 02:05:04 »
OMFG a BS war.... Yusss. That Kish going to win I can smell it now  :thumb:

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 02:10:05 »
+1 on snoopy's black Kishsaver!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 06:09:04 »
Silly GHers - we're only nominating keyboards, not actually voting yet :p :)) :D

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 06:47:09 »
Silly GHers - we're only nominating keyboards, not actually voting yet :p :)) :D

The +1 posts determine what makes it to the voting.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 07:05:15 »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 07:06:05 »
I will support muh bb Vesper any day.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 07:44:52 »

Yer, the +1s determine who gets through to the actual poll.

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:18:09 »
@snoopy Replace the skull caps by something more adequate and dignifying and I will vote for your black spacecraft. Looks almost as if it were from a terminal to the HAL computer, the legendary AI from the movie “2001: A Space Odyssey” by Stanley Kubrick :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2015, 12:24:04 by Eszett »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:13:01 »

The +1 posts determine what makes it to the voting.

+1

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:16:42 »
thanks guys for nominating my BlacKish.

@Eszett: I know what you mean, but for me the clack is like a cherry on top of an icecream. Maybe one day I do some shots without the clack.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:22:07 »
thanks guys for nominating my BlacKish.

@Eszett: I know what you mean, but for me the clack is like a cherry on top of an icecream. Maybe one day I do some shots without the clack.

The 1pc Trans Red v2 was also pretty awesome.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:37:52 »
+1 for snoopy's BlacKish
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 April 2015, 15:45:37 »
@snoopy There might be some clack which fits. I could imagine a semitransparent blank with red LED beneath it. Configure the firmware that the LED lights up each time a key is pressed. For inspiration see picture above ...
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 April 2015, 16:01:15 by Eszett »

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 01:46:23 »
@snoopy There might be some clack which fits. I could imagine a semitransparent blank with red LED beneath it. Configure the firmware that the LED lights up each time a key is pressed. For inspiration see picture above ...

A LED (or LEDs) would ruin the monolithic kind of aura it has got, methinks. Those skulls would go if it were mine, but to each his own, right :) Anyhow, I've got some real envy right here :D Really sweet board!

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 02:11:43 »

A LED (or LEDs) would ruin the monolithic kind of aura it has got, methinks. Those skulls would go if it were mine, but to each his own, right :) Anyhow, I've got some real envy right here :D Really sweet board!

Christ on a cracker,

Am i the only one whom digs the black skull?

It subtly pulls your eyes towards it without taking away from the beauty of the blanks. If it were a completely different color i would whole heartedly agree. It blends in so well but also intrigues you, why is this key different? What destructive power could it possibly possess. Why does this key transform a simple blank keyboard into an ominous one.

Its beautifully minimalistic
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 02:40:20 »

Christ on a cracker,

It subtly pulls your eyes towards it without taking away from the beauty of the blanks. If it were a completely different color i would whole heartedly agree. It blends in so well but also intrigues you, why is this key different? What destructive power could it possibly possess. Why does this key transform a simple blank keyboard into an ominous one.

Wow... actually... you are right. Strike my skull comment. It's really brilliant the way it is. (Y)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 17:21:56 »

Christ on a cracker,

I think it's one of those things that you don't notice straight away. I think Yoe's comparison to a monolith is spot on. It's like a black faceless wonder, but with two small points drawing your eyes to specific points on the board.

It's honestly one of my favourite boards ever.

Offline Skechup

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 10:50:57 »
I nominate the BBC Micro and more specifically its keyboard!

If you guys haven't tried the keyboard yet, its an absolute pleasure typing on them and I like the layout of the keyboard and how it looks.

EDIT: I messed up my nomination, I thought I posted a thread on it but was mistaken (Sorry  :-[ )
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 11:02:37 by Skechup »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 10:53:08 »
I nominate the BBC Micro and more specifically its keyboard!

If you guys haven't tried the keyboard yet, its an absolute pleasure typing on them and I like the layout of the keyboard and how it looks.

Show Image

Who owns this keyboard and where is this posted?
I do want to see a write up on this sort of thing.

Offline Skechup

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 10:58:52 »
I pretty much own a keyboard of this type, I'll take a picture of it later when I can find it.

The picture was pretty much there for a reference, but I can take a picture of my one.

EDIT: Ahh, I messed up! Could a mod or something remove my nomination. (I thought I posted a thread on it but I was mistaken)
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 April 2015, 11:01:09 by Skechup »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 12:54:12 »

Christ on a cracker,

Completely agree. Sometimes artisan caps are flashy (which I like) but sometimes they're subtle and discrete. This one is subtle and works really well IMO. Obviously people are still welcome to disagree. :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 12:56:36 »

Christ on a cracker,

Completely agree. Sometimes artisan caps are flashy (which I like) but sometimes they're subtle and discrete. This one is subtle and works really well IMO. Obviously people are still welcome to disagree. :)

I think either direction is fine.
As long as you have as many artisans as possible to maximize wpm.  :thumb:

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 13:22:04 »
I guess nobody likes the classics anymore!   :))

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 13:26:20 »
I guess nobody likes the classics anymore!   :))

The idea of leds on a Kishsaver hurts my brain.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 13:35:50 »

The idea of leds on a Kishsaver hurts my brain.

No doubt! The only LED I would think you may need on a Kish is a Caps lock indicator.  Maybe in the key itself.  I can't think of any reason other than that to be honest.

The reason why I put in my keyboard is that maybe, just maybe, an ordinary keyboard with nothing fancy would win.  I know just swapping the controller, and putting in a LED light hookup isn't too hard to do.  It's something anyone could do.  Maybe that was the point of the post.
It's all about the keyboards, right?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 13:39:20 »
The only LED I would think you may need on a Kish is a Caps lock indicator.  Maybe in the key itself.  I can't think of any reason other than that to be honest.

An idea I've been floating for the 4704 62 key is that I have my Caps Lock key mapped to be a toggle for my layer. Would be cool to have an LED there to show that I'm currently in my second layer.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 18:50:18 »
The only LED I would think you may need on a Kish is a Caps lock indicator.  Maybe in the key itself.  I can't think of any reason other than that to be honest.

An idea I've been floating for the 4704 62 key is that I have my Caps Lock key mapped to be a toggle for my layer. Would be cool to have an LED there to show that I'm currently in my second layer.

The only problem is the xwhatsit does not support layer indicator LED at this point.  Though xwhatsit told me it shouldn't be difficult to change.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 01:18:45 »

Yer, the +1s determine who gets through to the actual poll.

Ah, ok, my bad.

+1 snoopy's Kishsaver :p

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 14:55:14 »
i nominate hwood's cheat because that thing is undeniably sexy. i mean, look at it

045 by hwood34, on Flickr

R U LOOKING?
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 15:01:29 »
i nominate hwood's cheat because that thing is undeniably sexy. i mean, look at it

Show Image

R U LOOKING?
shill
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 15:10:23 »

Show Image

R U LOOKING?
shill

shill it up with me. u sold him the RA, right? LOOKS DOPE
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 15:38:01 »

Show Image

R U LOOKING?
I prefer it on his KMAC :
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 16:24:45 »

Show Image

R U LOOKING?

+1, love me some cheat.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • Just the guy
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 03:50:09 »

Show Image

R U LOOKING?

Red Alert is the ****.