Author Topic: Model M restore guide?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Model M restore guide?
« on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 17:58:04 »
Hey guys,

As you know, Model M's are pretty popular again, and many people are interested in restoring ones they've found and bought. What I'm seeing (and what I recently experienced myself) is that many of these people are noobs who either remember how great these KBs were, or have discovered them for the first time.

There's a lot of great help here, but it's distributed in various places and deals with specific issues. When you're trying to learn something new, it can be hard to know where to look for what you need, because you don't know what you need to know. A lot of the same questions keep being asked and answered. What's more, the answers often assume a bit too much about the asker's experience (the perpetual challenge of technical writing).

So I was thinking: What if we created a single "guide to repairing Model M's" topic that almost anyone could understand? It wouldn't be about cleaning—there are many good guides we could link to for that—but about diagnosis and repair.

Here's the fun part: I thought we could start the topic with a flowchart ("START HERE") with boxes you could step through to identify problems and what to do about them. Each box would have a short description of a symptom or a possible fix. Each "fix" box could have a link to a post in the topic with details and photos on that procedure. It seems like it'd really help people take a methodical, non-time-wasting approach.

There are probably some collaborative online tools we could use to create the flowchart (and therefore, structure the topic). But maybe the best approach would be for one person manage the chart and coordinate everyone else's ideas.

I'd also recommend keeping the topic in a development state until it was ready to release, so it'd be the clearest and most useful.

Then as new methods and resources appeared, we could incorporate them in the topic to keep it current, rather than just adding more and more posts (the usual system).

Does this sound worthwhile, doable? Thanks for your opinions. Cheers, A.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: Model M restore guide?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:04:09 »
I could've sworn there's already a few threads here that are referenced repeatedly for Model M restoration.  I think Phosphor from DT might have put one together as well.

Edit: Of course.  jdcarpe's thread in the making stuff subforum: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69582.0

Includes a pointer to the bolt mod page in the wiki, and could include other things if they were pointed out to him.

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2015, 18:14:52 by E TwentyNine »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline AkBKukU

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 00:48:36 »
I like this Idea. It would be a nice to have a central page to give new Model M owners, like myself, a springboard into owning one. I've been doing Goodwill restorations for years so tearing down and cleaning up an old keyboard was no problem for me but some tips and tricks could be great for the aforementioned "noobs". Even just some basic stuff like what size the screw heads are would be helpful.

I could also see this being useful for things that may not be covered normally, like trying retrobrite for keyboards that have yellowed.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 20:39:08 »

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 03:19:19 »
I have suggested this before - like a forum section dedicated to buckling spring keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 04:05:11 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62226.0

Yes, as I mentioned, there's lots of great info here, including Dorkvader's great bolt-mod guide. But how do you know you need a bolt-mod if you don't know what it is?

I'd had coffee when I got the flowchart idea, so that may have been a bit too ambitious. It'd probably be simpler just to create a list of M-related procedures, starting with some relatively common and easy ones, e.g.:

• Cleaning
• Obtaining replacement key buttons/caps
• Fixing sticky keys
• Fixing lock lights (often just a matter of cleaning cable contacts)
• Adapting AT–PS/2 boards to USB (with thumbnails of connectors and note about PS/2 power requirements)
• Converting terminal boards ("If your keyboard has a connector like any of these...")
• Replacing faulty controllers (can anyone say 52G9658, 52G9700, etc.?)
• Doing a total restore (including bolt-mods)

Each procedure would have a brief description with any pithy, gotta-know-first bits right there, followed by topic links, and maybe some links to external pages we thought were good.

Before the list, I'd make a point of mentioning the two specialized tools necessary for most repairs—5.5mm nut driver, key puller—where to get them (I was told I'd have to order the driver online, but my local electronics parts store had them), and a caveat not to use substitutes (e.g. prying keys off with a screwdriver).

What I'm suggesting here is a sticky topic to help Model M owners use GH without assuming anything about their experience (a common pitfall of technical writing). This is sounding more practical.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 04:30:55 »
The flowchart concept was the thing that jumped out at me and screamed f yeah!

Screw/bolt part numbers and suppliers would be good also, I found it a bit of work to locate the right size and a place that sells them. Also the cotton bud trick for removing stabs and the chop stick method of removing springs are gold when you have no clue what to do.

There is that pull up resistor thing also, but I don't know if people still have that problem..

Edit: I would also suggest a big caveat put in there about buying and mixing old original and Unicomp keys, for example if you have any hint of OCD dont mix caps.... it will kill you. I wasn't aware of this when I first got Unicomp keys and it can be a bit of a nasty supprise
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2015, 04:33:41 by fanpeople »

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 04:55:55 »
It is always a good idea to have something like an index, but I think the main problem is to keep it up to date and add new things to a link list. So many things are posted all the time, and probably the search engines are better than a static index. Another problem would be that someone would think that is all information needed, but other interesting approaches you could find are not there! At least this happened to me in the past - to find later better solutions for a problem or question.
... ...

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 09:21:23 »
It is always a good idea to have something like an index, but I think the main problem is to keep it up to date and add new things to a link list. So many things are posted all the time, and probably the search engines are better than a static index. Another problem would be that someone would think that is all information needed, but other interesting approaches you could find are not there! At least this happened to me in the past - to find later better solutions for a problem or question.

This!  There are a lot of things going on right now that may change the way you look at Model M keyboards.
Colossus came to my mind when I saw this.  That is just one example.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 11:47:45 »
There are a few good sticky threads that use the OP as a "table of contents" of sorts, and link to replies or other threads that contain more detailed info.

So if someone creates a new build log which contains valuable info, the OP is edited to include a link to that build log under the appropriate heading. I think this is a good approach.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 04:21:04 »
Yes, it'd definitely need to be maintained. But what a service it'd be, with everything clear, accessible, and overseen by people who really know their stuff.

Despite the Model M revival around the Web, nobody's doing anything like this, AFAIK. I'm sure the word would get around and bring people to GH. Who knows—
it could even become... legendary ! !
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 04:35:39 by ander »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 05:18:28 »
However if there were a section dedicated to buckling spring keyboards, then MX mavens would mandate a section for them, Topre typists would thirst for theirs, and Alps aficionados would appeal for one too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 07:50:42 »
However if there were a section dedicated to buckling spring keyboards, then MX mavens would mandate a section for them, Topre typists would thirst for theirs, and Alps aficionados would appeal for one too!

That's what a wiki is for.  Doesn't have a section you want?  Add it.  Don't know why TPTB here never got around to recreating the lost wiki here.  It has barely any activity now.

But DT has a wiki that's a bit more active, has a guides section that has stub articles but could be added to:  http://deskthority.net/wiki/Category:Guides
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 09:13:43 »

I don't know. Bolt-modding Model Ms is almost de-rigueur for some of us, and Model Fs almost always require tinkering.

There are a lot of Cherry mods out there, but most users never get past changing caps or adding O-rings.

Only really dedicated Alps users want to open up Alps switches and mess with them (I don't), and simply pulling caps from NMB Hi-Teks to clean them is hair-raising.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 10:34:48 »
Alps aficionados would appeal for one too!
If anyone needs it, I have a video tutorial on how to open up and clean out Alps switches :) . If someone wants to stick it into a guide, go for it :) .

Only really dedicated Alps users want to open up Alps switches and mess with them (I don't), and simply pulling caps from NMB Hi-Teks to clean them is hair-raising.
Alps aren't that bad to service, really. I agree Hi-Teks are a ****ing nightmare to clean though, it's so easy to damage them or lose the spring or whatever xD .

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 11:45:46 »
Is it possible to open Alps to clean them? I've read a few times that dirty Alps are basically hopeless.

My boards:
More

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 13:32:30 »
Is it possible to open Alps to clean them? I've read a few times that dirty Alps are basically hopeless.
Nope, you very much can! I've restored several Alps boards to good effect. Here's my video guide on basic cleaning of Alps:
. Hope it helps :) .

It's true that Alps are more affected by dust than other switches. Powder dust especially is very bad. With patience and dedication the vast majority can be restored quite well. Some very bad ones will never be the same though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 16:03:31 »
Nope, you very much can! I've restored several Alps boards to good effect. Here's my video guide on basic cleaning of Alps:
. Hope it helps :) .

It's true that Alps are more affected by dust than other switches. Powder dust especially is very bad. With patience and dedication the vast majority can be restored quite well. Some very bad ones will never be the same though.
This is awesome! Thanks.

My boards:
More

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 03:57:58 »
Yes, a wiki would be good too. But with something this model-specific, I thought a sticky topic with links to resource articles might be even clearer, and easier to maintain—because again, it wouldn't have to contain all the solutions themselves, just point to them. It'd also be immediately available to anyone who visited this part of the forum, where presumably a lot of people come seeking KB help.

Well, whatever you guys think...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 05:52:49 »
The GH wiki kinda died a year or two ago, and hasn't got going again since.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 08:00:06 »

Wasn't it 3 years ago (or OMG 4?) in June when r00tw0rm struck and wiped out the wikis?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 21:48:32 »

That's actually one of the reasons the idea occurred to me. It wouldn't be nearly as ambitious or hard to maintain, and it'd target a particular area many people are especially interested in right now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 22:38:54 »

Wasn't it 3 years ago (or OMG 4?) in June when r00tw0rm struck and wiped out the wikis?

Is it that long ago already? :eek:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 04:15:12 »
Okay then—if we ever decide to do this, and there's any way I can help (I'm a technical writer), feel free to PM me!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 08:41:15 »

I joined in the spring of 2011, so it probably was summer 2012 when it happened.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 08:43:01 »
I have this really cool idea. Instead of making a thread where we talk about doing it, why not just start the thread and then add to is as people suggest things. Less talk, more ****ing action.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 11:23:57 »
I have this really cool idea. Instead of making a thread where we talk about doing it, why not just start the thread and then add to is as people suggest things. Less talk, more ****ing action.

Pretty much every sticky here works that way. OP says, "I notice a lot of folks asking [X]," or "I had a hard time learning about [X], so I decided to write this guide." Followed by 5-10 "thank you!" posts, then a mod chimes in with, "I'm stickying this."

My boards:
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 11:38:55 »
Yes, I am not sure what more there is to be found beyond the "Super Awesome Guide" that JD Carpe put together.

But is is frustrating that interesting snippets are scattered throughout countless threads, often off-topic even then.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 01:48:48 »

I joined in the spring of 2011, so it probably was summer 2012 when it happened.

Which would be middle of 2012, just after I joined.

That sounds about right - I had just found GH, then it disappeared for several months :rolleyes:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 08:20:19 »
I had just found GH, then it disappeared for several months

We were only off line for 2 weeks or less, as I remember, but the wikis were permanently gone.

Deskthority was kind enough to provide us a special home in exile during that time.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:21:36 »
I had just found GH, then it disappeared for several months

We were only off line for 2 weeks or less, as I remember, but the wikis were permanently gone.

Deskthority was kind enough to provide us a special home in exile during that time.

That's when I joined DT, but I don't post there much.

Edit: Or maybe not.  DT report my join date as: Joined:21 Aug 2013, 13:59

:confused:
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:27:13 by rowdy »